Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Would return to active duty to be a space marine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Trump spokesperson on the O'Rielly factor responded to criticisms that Trump doesn't know anything about our nuclear arsenal with "what good does it do to have a good nuclear triad if you're afraid to use it."

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

"Humanity, gently caress yeah!" is lovely amateur writing and/or lovely fanfiction writing genre that asks the question: "What if instead of being boring and bland we end up being better than any alien lifeforms we encounter?"

Here is an imgur link because trolling reddit for the stories is pretty loving bad, also the first story in that link is pro as gently caress

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Syrian Lannister posted:

:Idontlikeathing:

i dunno man, talking about vulcans and space alliances and dumb poo poo in the current events thread when the same conversation is going on in three other threads, not including the thread dedicated to that nerd poo poo, seems a little overkill.

yeah, this thread sucks currently.

e: your post should say :idontlikethesamethinginfourdifferentthreads:

Cole fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 19, 2015

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Cole posted:

This thread sucks
I assume I'm not the only one on media blackout until I see Star Wars tonight. :wookie:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

ElMaligno posted:

"Humanity, gently caress yeah!" is lovely amateur writing and/or lovely fanfiction writing genre that asks the question: "What if instead of being boring and bland we end up being better than any alien lifeforms we encounter?"

Here is an imgur link because trolling reddit for the stories is pretty loving bad, also the first story in that link is pro as gently caress

Humanity's main theoretical advantage is the ability to outlast the competition. We evolved as persistence hunters and still have exceptional stamina for our weight class, and it's reflected in culture and mindset worldwide. That's a pretty bitchin' racial trait, I think.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Redeye Flight posted:

Humanity's main theoretical advantage is the ability to outlast the competition. We evolved as persistence hunters and still have exceptional stamina for our weight class, and it's reflected in culture and mindset worldwide. That's a pretty bitchin' racial trait, I think.

lol. We're lab rats

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Zeris posted:

Would return to active duty to be a space marine

Nothing like picking up cigarette butts in space....

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the sci-fi short story I read somewhere, where every other sentient species is some form of psionic that uses mental powers to do warfare.. But humanity is completely and totally immune to them, so we're like this horrible mercenary species that nobody can really deal with without hiring more humans.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I think alpha centauri may be the most accurate vision of the future. Even though they are fleeing a destroyed earth on the only ship and are literally the last remnants of humanity they can't hold it together long enough to even complete the mission and instead waste the captain and split into factions to immediately wage war on each other, even in the face of an extremely hostile environment :patriot:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cole posted:

i dunno man, talking about vulcans and space alliances and dumb poo poo in the current events thread when the same conversation is going on in three other threads, not including the thread dedicated to that nerd poo poo, seems a little overkill.

yeah, this thread sucks currently.

e: your post should say :idontlikethesamethinginfourdifferentthreads:

Lots of deep nerd sci fi socio political analysis Itt

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
What are the three other threads? This poo poo is cool and I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The only good bug is a dead bug.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

DAS Super! posted:

Nothing like picking up cigarette butts in space....

I think you mean SPACE cigarette butts. Totally different from boring old earth cigarette butts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There's a ton of poo poo floating in orbit that's not going to clean itself up (as quickly as space marines).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Godholio posted:

There's a ton of poo poo floating in orbit that's not going to clean itself up (as quickly as space marines).

I remember hearing it takes like an hour to properly don the whole spacesuit before leaving the vehicle, so you bet your rear end is only going to be joes doing space cleaning while space top and space commander drink space coffee, while space PSG disappears for another space brief.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember hearing it takes like an hour to properly don the whole spacesuit before leaving the vehicle, so you bet your rear end is only going to be joes doing space cleaning while space top and space commander drink space coffee, while space PSG disappears for another space brief.

you'll still have to gear up 5 hours before you actually do anything.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Top is on the inside, angrily pointing at smudges on the outside of the glass. Sent Joe out there with water and a rag, giving no fucks that the water sublimated when the airlock opened.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"Should've joined the goddamn space air force."

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
space marines: still no reason they should exist.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think the admins are still enjoying the current name but I will add this to the list.

I liked Internet VFW :(

Me too :(

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Are we talking about the Space Navy's Space Army's Space Air Force again?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

1960s concepts for space warfare looked pretty :krad:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mother base is still my favorite but internet vfw was cool too

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Space X-35 has cost us three trillion space dollars and we still only have two barely functional prototypes. Pilots keep dying from reactor leaks.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
In today's "What should I be offended by now?" we have food served in college cafeterias. But not because it's bad, but because the General Tso's Chicken had the wrong kind of chicken or some dumb poo poo.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/19/ohio-college-students-offended-culturally-appropri/?preview?98

quote:

Students at a liberal Ohio college are voicing outrage over the fried chicken, sushi, General Tso’s chicken and Vietnamese sandwiches served in the school cafeterias, saying the cheap knockoff dishes are “insensitive” and “culturally inappropriate.”

Students at Oberlin College — which happens to be the alma matter of ultra-liberal actress Lena Dunham — are writing to the school’s newspaper to complain about the meals and are demanding meetings with campus dining officials and the college president.

Among the complaints were a student’s claim that the General Tso’s chicken at one of the campus dining facilities was steamed instead of fried.

Prudence Hiu-Ying, a sophomore from China, told the Oberlin Review that the steamed chicken dish did not resemble the popular Chinese dish. She described it as “so weird that I didn’t ever try it.”

It may be worth noting that General Tso’s chicken is not actually a Chinese dish
. Although it is commonly found in chinese restaurants, the deep-fried, ginger-garlic chicken dish got its start in the U.S.

Another student complained about the banh mi Vietnamese sandwiches served with cole slaw instead of pickled vegetables, and on ciabatta bread instead of the traditional French baguette.

“It was ridiculous,” Diep Nguyn, a freshman student from Vietnam told the Oberlin Review. “How could they just throw out something completely different and label it as another country’s traditional food?”

Other students complained about the “culturally appropriative” sushi served at the school’s Dascomb Dining Hall.

Tomoyo Joshi, a college junior from Japan, said the undercooked rice and lack of fresh fish in the sushi rolls is “disrespectful,” according to the Oberlin Review.

“When you’re cooking a country’s dish for other people, including ones who have never tried the original dish before, you’re also representing the meaning of the dish as well as the culture,” she said. “So if people not from that heritage take food, modify it and serve it as ‘authentic,’ it is appropriative.”

The school’s dining services management said the dishes were a result of Bon Appetit’s, the food service management company contracted by Oberlin College, foray into nutritional diversity. The food service company is increasing their cultural cuisine offerings in an attempt to diversify students’ opinions in taste and flavor profile, the school newspaper reported.

Earlier this month, Oberlin’s black student union staged a protest outside the Afrikan Heritage House, an on-campus dorm, demanding one of the cafeterias make fried chicken a permanent feature on the Sunday night menu and provide more vegan and vegetarian options, the Oberlin Review reported.

Their petition also outlines a list of proposed meals, offering authentic food ideas, recommendation on how to properly prepare food and reduce the amount of cream used in dishes because, as stated in the petition, “Black American food doesn’t have much cream in it,” the school newspaper reported.

Students also protested for better treatment of dining service employees at the school, demanding “a guaranteed 40-hour workweek, benefits for part-time workers, personal days, funding for job training and increased wages.”

And the Nevada-based Universal Society of Hinduism joined the food fight last week after students discovered that the tandoori, a traditional Indian dish, contained beef.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
tbf General Tso's with steamed instead of fried chicken sounds loving nasty.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Uh the entire loving culinary world is about modifying foods like if you want to bitch about cultural appropriation, native americans are the only ones allowed to use tomatoes and peppers. Sorry India but any curry with tomatoes in it is cultural appropriation because that poo poo is from America.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Space X-35 has cost us three trillion space dollars and we still only have two barely functional prototypes. Pilots keep dying from reactor leaks.

Space Obama hosed up big time when his administration cancelled the Space Raptor-program.

EDIT: Also re: chicken outrage. Isn't Washington Times one of those :airquote: newspapers :airquote: owned by weird Christian cults? I think in Washington Times' case the owners are the Moonies or some poo poo.

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 19, 2015

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Reverand maynard posted:

Uh the entire loving culinary world is about modifying foods like if you want to bitch about cultural appropriation, native americans are the only ones allowed to use tomatoes and peppers. Sorry India but any curry with tomatoes in it is cultural appropriation because that poo poo is from America.

It's pretty sad to imagine the kind of perfectly segregated future where there's no such thing as intermingling cultures.

Uh wait, I feel like I started that sentence talking about left wing activists and now it sounds like something else

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i wonder if i could get support for a gofundme that i use to just go around to places like Oberlin college to tell people they are stupid.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
To be fair that's the Washington Times so there's no guarantee that anything in that article isn't completely fabricated

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Godholio posted:

NASA has already come up with a few plans to solve that. Lol if they're funded in my lifetime.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Cole posted:

In today's "What should I be offended by now?" we have food served in college cafeterias. But not because it's bad, but because the General Tso's Chicken had the wrong kind of chicken or some dumb poo poo.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/19/ohio-college-students-offended-culturally-appropri/?preview?98

When I spent my month in China one of the restaurants I went to was well know for its general tso's. Then again it was also known as a place the emperor would order take out from back in the day so I dunno how true either claim was.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So apparently trying to understand world religions sparked outrage in Virginia so much that it literally shut down districts.

I mean, when I had to suffer through in-school prayers or dumb poo poo like this, as an atheist, you get told to just put up with it. This is doubly dumb, though, because you literally cannot practice Islamic calligraphy without drawing from the Quran because that's why it loving exists -- drawing pictures was considered idolatrous and so artists made a style of calligraphy that is GOD IS SUPER GREAT THIS IS NOT A PEACOCK PICTURE JUST QURAN VERSES to skirt the rules and celebrate Allah.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 19, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

tbf General Tso's with steamed instead of fried chicken sounds loving nasty.

tbf campus dining sucks so who cares?

Although I guess if mommy and daddy are paying $65,000 a year to send you to college you earned the right to complain about the food. Or something. Whatever.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cole posted:

space marines: still no reason they should exist.

if they find a hostile alien on a mostly water comet in the brief period it is far enough in the solar system to have liquid water, boy are you gonna be sorry

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Eel hovercraft posted:

I think you mean SPACE cigarette butts. Totally different from boring old earth cigarette butts.

e: did a better one

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 19, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Stultus Maximus posted:

tbf campus dining sucks so who cares?

Although I guess if mommy and daddy are paying $65,000 a year to send you to college you earned the right to complain about the food. Or something. Whatever.

paying for a right is not the same as earning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, it's far more effective.

• Locked thread