Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Joementum posted:

Woah, turns out that thing I said would be a problem for Trump is a problem for Trump.

The Iowa Register did an article about this - No upswing in Republican registration is new info though.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ining/77278342/

The only upside was that Trump's campaign had a roll of 55,000 names of people who have attended rallies or some such, but translating those numbers into caucus goers is going to be the challenge as most of his support is newly politicized blue collar types. Will they show up? Who knows!

Despite is anti-ethanol stance Iowa is Cruz's to lose, as both Trump and Rubio have anemic ground games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Montasque posted:

The only upside was that Trump's campaign had a roll of 55,000 names of people who have attended rallies or some such, but translating those numbers into caucus goers is going to be the challenge as most of his support is newly politicized blue collar types. Will they show up? Who knows!

In the NYT article it says Trump isn't even using his email list effectively.

quote:

Of eight people interviewed at a Trump rally in Waterloo in early October, all gave the Trump campaign their emails. Contacted recently by a reporter, four of the eight said they had not received any follow-up. The others received a mass email asking them to volunteer for Mr. Trump, but they were uninterested. Russell Hotchkiss said he was too busy with a 1-year-old and a small business to be a political activist. Judy Cruze, a nurse, deleted the campaign’s emails and has no intention of caucusing for anyone.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Can someone explain what ethanol has to do with the US election to a dumb Brit?

Other than being Kasich's pre-debate ritual

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stoat posted:

The Iowa Caucuses are an important first vote in the Presidential primary. The biggest industry in Iowa is agriculture and the biggest crop is corn. Much of that corn is turned into ethanol.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Stoat posted:

The first primary/caucus state, Iowa, grows a shitload of corn.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Stoat posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_production_in_the_United_States

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stoat posted:

Ethanol is made from Corn (Maize).

Corn (Maize) is a major crop in the state of Iowa.

Iowa is the first state with an official primary contest (a caucus) and thus the winner of the Iowa caucus gains a lot of media exposure and legitimacy early on.

E: beaten like a black person at a trump event

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Stoat posted:

Is it just what Kasich fists before debates?

Up to 10% of gasoline in most places can be added ethanol. Ethanol is made from corn and serves as a floor for how low the price of corn could go. 1 bushel of corn makes approximately 2.5 gallons of ethanol, so the price of corn can never fall below 2.5 * the cost of gas so long as ethanol can be put into gasoline. Iowa's main product is corn, and corn is the economic lifeblood of the state.

Cruz is pro-oil, and ethanol is a direct loss of business for his corporate masters. So he is anti-ethanol.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Joementum posted:

Trump will never be the nominee.

EDIT: Unless Trump can bend the very rules of the universe like the god-emperor /pol/ paints him as.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Joementum posted:

It's going to be great when all the politically disaffected just not vote again in a great conspiracy to rat gently caress Trump and treat him unfairly

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

He doesn't even use twitter properly so I wouldn't expect his campaign to be capable of leveraging voter contact info.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Montasque posted:

Trump will never be the nominee.

EDIT: Unless Trump can bend the very rules of the universe like the god-emperor /pol/ paints him as.

As an operative with another campaign put it in that article, “It’s true that new candidates think they can change history. It’s true that they never do. It’s true we’ve never had a new candidate like Trump.”

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

He doesn't even use twitter properly so I wouldn't expect his campaign to be capable of leveraging voter contact info.

He uses twitter more effectively than any other politician in human history.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Frosty the Speaker of the House was pretty funny actually. The only endearing part of Cruz is he seems to have a sense of humor behind those cold dead eyes

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Cop: FAUXTON, He uses twitter more effectively than any other politician in human history.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
More politicians should use snapchat instead of twitter imo

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

FAUXTON posted:

A Cop: FAUXTON, He uses twitter more effectively than any other politician in human history.

Idk what would be an appropriate way to use twitter, according to you. during a campaign

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Understanding how to retweet would be a start

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol nate's team is dumb as hell

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I can't wait for George Pataki to win the republican nomination and for nate silver to say "actually my sheet of paper showed 0.4% of a probability, so i was right this whole time"

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

i personally think Christie's got an outside shot at this thing though , just imho, he seems to be gathering momentum in NH at just about the right time

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Stoat posted:

And I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but people don't like ethanol. Word I get is, it's more corrosive to non-metal parts than fossil fuel petrol and reduces the lifespan of an engine. You are not supposed to use it for two-cycle engines. Now, two-cycle engines are a really bad deal, pollution-wise, but that's another discussion. Gas stations that sell non-ethanol fuel advertise it around here for those reasons.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
gently caress Iowa and their stupid ethanol and every dumb-poo poo bought-and-paid for politician who supports mixing this stuff in gasoline.

Iowa farmers make bank, auto-repair shops and dealer service centers make bank, politicians make bank, and our engines and wallets get hosed.

Now, if we made a full switch to pure ethanol, that would be fine. Engines DESIGNED TO RUN ON IT make more power and generate less pollution and last longer. Engines designed to run on traditional fuel SURPRISE do not take well to ethanol being mixed in, hence the reason you don't see the mixture increasing over 10-15% since that's a bout as much damage done as they can get away without without every soccor mom in America screaming bloody murder over her SUV breaking down.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I dont get this obssession with saying 538 has mo grasp.of reality. Nate's own stuff (the 6 stages of doom for trump article) has trump past the first 2 tests and sitting on ~6.25% chance to win, which seems pretty reasonable, and we haven't had an election yet soooooo.

I really despise that article. The basic premise of the stages is fine, but the pseudo-bayesian assignment of 50% odds to each stage, completely arbitrarily, drives me up the wall. You don't know! You should know that you don't know! For g*d's sake, stop pulling numbers out of your b*tt!

Though, to be fair, that's also a description of what Nate's been doing for the rest of the primary season.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nate is really bad, and you should be paying exclusive attention to PPP hth

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Nonsense posted:

lol nate's team is dumb as hell

"I don't understand how Trump got elected - nobody I know voted for him!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rocks posted:

i personally think Christie's got an outside shot at this thing though , just imho, he seems to be gathering momentum in NH at just about the right time

Did someone roll him down a hill again?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Woah, turns out that thing I said would be a problem for Trump is a problem for Trump.

From the same article:

quote:

“It’s easy for someone to sit on a phone when they get a polling call and say, ‘I like candidate X,’ ” said Steve Grubbs, the Iowa state director for Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, referring to Mr. Trump’s strength in Iowa polls. “It’s far different to get that person out of a La-Z-Boy to hop in a car and avoid the black ice and head to their local firehouse.”

The demographics of Trump supporters reveal his challenges: They are younger, lack a college degree and are less likely to be evangelical Christians, according to polling. The profile of past caucusgoers is the opposite: most are 45 and up, college educated and evangelical.

Trump may not even place in the top 3 in Iowa. Is Iowa going to be Trump's Waterloo?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

"He’s angry at everything and everyone right now. Despondent, depressed, and angry at the world. He is having a very difficult time grasping the reality of someone like Donald Trump at the top of the polls and seeing himself in single-digits. Jeb isn’t his brother. Jeb is a cry-baby and that part of his character is really coming through the last few months as he’s struggled to get anyone to pay attention to his version of things. People want tough and that’s something Jeb Bush has never been.”

I want to believe...
http://dcwhispers.com/jeb-bush-despondent-depressed-angry-at-the-world/#P5ELyTFs1Yc2A5Kc.99

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Boosted_C5 posted:

gently caress Iowa and their stupid ethanol and every dumb-poo poo bought-and-paid for politician who supports mixing this stuff in gasoline.

Iowa farmers make bank, auto-repair shops and dealer service centers make bank, politicians make bank, and our engines and wallets get hosed.

Now, if we made a full switch to pure ethanol, that would be fine. Engines DESIGNED TO RUN ON IT make more power and generate less pollution and last longer. Engines designed to run on traditional fuel SURPRISE do not take well to ethanol being mixed in, hence the reason you don't see the mixture increasing over 10-15% since that's a bout as much damage done as they can get away without without every soccor mom in America screaming bloody murder over her SUV breaking down.

Almost every car in America can currently run on pure Ethanol, with just a simple and cheap conversion kit. No need for special engines.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Rocks posted:

I personally think he's fat. Just my opinion though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

America is not ready for another rotund president

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

CortezFantastic posted:

Almost every car in America can currently run on pure Ethanol, with just a simple and cheap conversion kit. No need for special engines.
Yeah but what about my 4-stroke Johnson outboard?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just convert everything back to diesel. Diesel engines don't give a gently caress as long as it burns and has a carbon chain

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CortezFantastic posted:

They'll often run like poo poo though, and you'll have to fill up a lot more often. Plus getting ethanol from corn is like the least energy efficient way to get ethanol (getting it from sugarcane on the other hand is efficient as hell, which is why the Brazilians use it so much), so it's not a good thing from an environmental perspective if we can help it. Yeah if all the oil on earth disappeared tomorrow we could get by on corn ethanol, but it'd suck major rear end.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

CortezFantastic posted:

There is nothing simple about replacing fuel lines and altering a car's tune for most Americans. Also, can't get pure ethanol easily and conveniently at gas stations.

Only our moronic "leaders" could manage to legislate this kind of stupidity - go to any typical gas station in your town right now, and you can't get just unleaded gasoline, or ethanol, you can only buy a dumb-rear end mixture of both.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

gently caress corn anyway. We use it in too much poo poo we don't need to.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

They'll often run like poo poo though.

Yep. Any car with EFI will run like poo poo if you switch to ethanol WITHOUT a tune.

However, IF you make all the necessary modifications, namely replacing fuel lines (pure ethanol will eat through any rubber lines in no time) and altering the a/f tables, etc. changing the factory tune to compensate for using ethanol, THEN the vehicle will run much better. Ethanol burns clean as hell and makes more power than unleaded gas. It's amazing seeing what an engine looks like after extended use if you break it down - combustion chambers are clean as hell compared to a vehicle that has been running the same miles & usage types on traditional fuel.

As an enthusiast I'm kind of sad we're basically going to skip from gasoline to electric for the most part. The idea of an ethanol future was always exciting - keep internal combustion engines, generate more power cleaner, no need to rely on foreign energy, etc. Electric is the future, but it's hard for me to get excited about electric motors or the inevitable electric Corvette at some point in the future. The immediate torque is amazing, but the lack of the sounds and smells of the V8 is depressing.

Boosted_C5 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 19, 2015

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Boosted_C5 posted:

There is nothing simple about replacing fuel lines and altering a car's tune for most Americans. Also, can't get pure ethanol easily and conveniently at gas stations.

Only our moronic "leaders" could manage to legislate this kind of stupidity - go to any typical gas station in your town right now, and you can't get just unleaded gasoline, or ethanol, you can only buy a dumb-rear end mixture of both.

You don't need to replace fuel lines. It is as simple as flipping a switch to go from gas to e85. I'm not pro-ethanol, but I'm not against it either. It's not efficient in creating, but competition at the gas stations with no real big change to their current vehicle and the driver's ~*habits*~, would be be a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheTatteredKing posted:

gently caress corn anyway. We use it in too much poo poo we don't need to.

Eh every country has their One Big Crop that they use way too much. It's unavoidable, and it's all plants anyway.

CortezFantastic posted:

You don't need to replace fuel lines. It is as simple as flipping a switch to go from gas to e85. I'm not pro-ethanol, but I'm not against it either. It's not efficient in creating, but competition at the gas stations with no real big change to their current vehicle and the driver's ~*habits*~, would be be a good thing

E85 is a pretty major difference from pure ethanol. And most engines can barely handle e85 for long term use without extensive modification of everything. You seem to maybe be confusing "a lot of cars released in the past decade" with "most cars". The average American car is almost 12 years old as of the summer!

• Locked thread