Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Boosted_C5 posted:

the lack of the sounds and smells of the V8 is depressing

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 22, 2016

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
i never realized that a major political issue was "car go vroom"

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Eh every country has their One Big Crop that they use way too much. It's unavoidable, and it's all plants anyway.

E85 is a pretty major difference from pure ethanol. And most engines can barely handle e85 for long term use without extensive modification of everything. You seem to maybe be confusing "a lot of cars released in the past decade" with "most cars". The average American car is almost 12 years old as of the summer!

My F-150 is only 10 years old, but our household income is safely in the 95th percentile now.

How loving out of touch are all these rear end-hole auto-executives who keep green-lighting commercials every December with annoying white liberal douche-bags in hipster houses buying a loving brand new Lexus for each-other as Christmas gifts??? I am republican as all hell and even I want to eat these people.

Of course it's not just Lexus and Mercedes anymore. I though about us getting a new Chevy Tahoe and looked up the latest model on a whim. L-O-loving-L GM wants $50,000 for a freaking GM truck??? Hahahahahaha. The price of an AMERICAN TRUCK is now more than annual U.S. household income. No loving wonder these brain-dead idiots needed a bailout. Same poo poo interiors, same egregious use of plastic, now with a luxury car price.

I was worried about turning into a greedy rear end-hole once we FINALLY emerged from all the years of education and poverty, but NOPE actually having money to spend now is making me want to be more generous with family, freinds, neighbors, etc. even more because how in the ever-loving gently caress can a middle-class family that will always be middle-class afford loving anything???

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

fishmech posted:

Eh every country has their One Big Crop that they use way too much. It's unavoidable, and it's all plants anyway.

E85 is a pretty major difference from pure ethanol. And most engines can barely handle e85 for long term use without extensive modification of everything. You seem to maybe be confusing "a lot of cars released in the past decade" with "most cars". The average American car is almost 12 years old as of the summer!

It's possible I am not remembering things entirely correctly from what I gleamed from reading about this months ago (and I don't care enough to read more/argue the point). It is still something that could add competition

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Great article that nails what's wrong with Jeb. What a cathartic way to start the day. loving quit, you self-entitled hump!

otoh his continual humiliation is VERY satisfying

a third party jeb! run would be as beautiful as it is unlikely

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Abner Cadaver II posted:

i never realized that a major political issue was "car go vroom"

have you been living in america long

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Boosted_C5 posted:

My F-150 is only 10 years old, but our household income is safely in the 95th percentile now.

How loving out of touch are all these rear end-hole auto-executives who keep green-lighting commercials every December with annoying white liberal douche-bags in hipster houses buying a loving brand new Lexus for each-other as Christmas gifts??? I am republican as all hell and even I want to eat these people.

Of course it's not just Lexus and Mercedes anymore. I though about us getting a new Chevy Tahoe and looked up the latest model on a whim. L-O-loving-L GM wants $50,000 for a freaking GM truck??? Hahahahahaha. The price of an AMERICAN TRUCK is now more than annual U.S. household income. No loving wonder these brain-dead idiots needed a bailout. Same poo poo interiors, same egregious use of plastic, now with a luxury car price.

I was worried about turning into a greedy rear end-hole once we FINALLY emerged from all the years of education and poverty, but NOPE actually having money to spend now is making me want to be more generous with family, freinds, neighbors, etc. even more because how in the ever-loving gently caress can a middle-class family that will always be middle-class afford loving anything???

buy a new f-150 they're nice. chevy trucks are poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boosted_C5 posted:

I've pretty much resigned myself to driving used shitboxes for the rest of my life. Seems to be the difference-maker as far as getting my kid through college without loans and someday finishing this mortgage goes. To get a new car that's actually worth buying new you basically have to spend at least 30 grand. Sorry auto industry and worthless dealer network, I don't got it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Boosted_C5 posted:

As an enthusiast I'm kind of sad we're basically going to skip from gasoline to electric for the most part. The idea of an ethanol future was always exciting - keep internal combustion engines, generate more power cleaner, no need to rely on foreign energy, etc. Electric is the future, but it's hard for me to get excited about electric motors or the inevitable electric Corvette at some point in the future. The immediate torque is amazing, but the lack of the sounds and smells of the V8 is depressing.

That's why new engines have built-in speakers! :)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Boosted_C5 posted:

They need to charge that much because, as Trump said, wages are too high.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

uncurable mlady posted:

I will fight you.

I had to trade in my last Corvette for a Camaro when I got married, and my Camaro for a truck with a back seat when we had a child. I couldn't afford to be picky, so I've had 2 Fords in a row. gently caress these unreliable heaps and their undersized engines that actually weigh more and take up more space than a GM smallblock V8 because of Ford's love for the inefficient and stupid DOHC engine design. Hell, with the new F-150s, their top-of-the-line engine offering is a Goddamned V6 with a turbo charger. Like I give a poo poo about your peak HP/TQ numbers and the environment. Give me that area under the curve of a Chevy V8.

I cannot be expected to chauffeur my child back and forth from pre-school and get groceries from Bi-Lo with anything less than face-melting torque.

Boosted_C5 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 19, 2015

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Nonsense posted:

lol nate's team is dumb as hell

Daaang, this is Paradol Ex level predicting. I mean you expect pundits to miss out on Trump, but their numbers for Cruz are just as bad. And those Walker+JEB! numbers...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CortezFantastic posted:

It's possible I am not remembering things entirely correctly from what I gleamed from reading about this months ago (and I don't care enough to read more/argue the point). It is still something that could add competition

I'm not sure what "competition" you really want here? Do you not know that ethanol is barely better for carbon emissions (depending on the car, it can be worse), and that the gas station people aren't going to compete with themselves anymore than premium gas competes with regular? Yeah it's cheaper too, but you need to buy it more often because there's necessarily decreased mileage: ethanol has substantially less chemical energy in it than equivalent gasoline. It doesn't hurt too much in the 10% ethanol mixture commonly found in gas stations, because there its volume mostly replaces other additives to gasoline, though you'll still get better mileage with 0% ethanol.

"FlexFuel" engines are a thing that many newer cars have, and those are the ones that you can just put E85 into no worries. For all other cars though, there's some extensive work that needs to be done because high amounts of ethanol can wear away various seals and the like or gunk up the engine, even if you've done conversion stuff. You also might have been thinking of biodiesel, where there's lots of waste food products that can be put into a minimally modified diesel engine to run it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

uncurable mlady posted:

New trucks are poo poo. Buy a late ’90s Ranger.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Boosted_C5 posted:

I will fight you.

I had to trade in my last Corvette for a Camaro when I got married, and my Camaro for a truck with a back seat when we had a child. I couldn't afford to be picky, so I've had 2 Fords in a row. gently caress these unreliable heaps and their undersized engines that actually weigh more and take up more space than a GM smallblock V8 because of Ford's love for the inefficient and stupid DOHC engine design. Hell, with the new F-150s, their top-of-the-line engine offering is a Goddamned V6 with a turbo charger. Like I give a poo poo about your peak HP/TQ numbers and the environment. Give me that area under the curve of a Chevy V8.

I cannot be expected to chauffeur my child back and forth from pre-school and get groceries from Bi-Lo with anything less than face-melting torque.

img_calvin_peeing_on_chevy_logo.jpg

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boosted_C5 posted:

This post coming from you is just amazing. I really don't know what to think.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Platystemon posted:

New trucks are poo poo. Buy a late ’90s Ranger.

true as heck, i loved the poo poo out of my old Ranger. small trucks are pretty much dead in the US though, even the international version of the ranger they sell is basically a midsize

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

lol nate's team is dumb as hell

Those are decent predictions though they, along with everyone else, missed that Cruz would be the one to consolidate the evangelicals.

Though Walker probably would have been the one to do that had he not mis-managed the campaign and flamed out early.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
If you're a JEB! fan you will love this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq4v4F4BEUk

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CortezFantastic posted:

Almost every car in America can currently run on pure Ethanol, with just a simple and cheap conversion kit. No need for special engines.

No need for special engines, just more corn fields than the US's total landmass, and it's still a huge energy loss to produce in the first place while being far less efficient than gasoline.

Ethanol sucks and I wish using it as fuel was illegal.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Those are decent predictions though they, along with everyone else, missed that Cruz would be the one to consolidate the evangelicals.

Though Walker probably would have been the one to do that had he not mis-managed the campaign and flamed out early.

The Trump numbers are whatever, since convention fuckery is likely. The Bush numbers are what throw me, he still has a lot of cash, but it seems he's not been wise with it. Those are red flags, for a campaign intending to make it until next summer.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Boosted_C5 posted:

:lol: those suburban houses you see in those commercials are the cornerstone of the republican party

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

radical meme posted:

This post coming from you is just amazing. I really don't know what to think.

Troll suit comes off briefly for Christmas. Hohoho!

Boosted is a good guy IRL, aside from his matchbox car fixation. :-)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

The Trump numbers are whatever, since convention fuckery is likely. The Bush numbers are what throw me, he still has a lot of cash, but it seems he's not been wise with it. Those are red flags, for a campaign intending to make it until next summer.

Those predictions were all from like August. Done again today they'd probably rate Bush a bit lower, though likely not much, and Cruz and Christie higher.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Jeb: I just gotta get this off my chest... Donald Trump is a jerk!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFb5klyEHwc

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Joementum posted:

This chart reads like a computer trying to understand love. Scotty and JEB! have zero natural charisma. You could give them all the money and organization in the world and they still couldn't inspire their way out of a paper bag.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Montasque posted:

Jeb: I just gotta get this off my chest... Donald Trump is a jerk!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFb5klyEHwc

Everything he says is correct, but he's such a whiny little bitch about it, makes me want to vote Trump tbh.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Wow, I had no idea Grandpa Bloodgates was spending that much on ad buys. Has nobody told him that being unmarried and sorta effeminate means he never had a chance in the first place?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Where the hell did graham, kaisch and fatty get so much money from

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Where the hell did graham, kaisch and fatty get so much money from

The chart combines campaign and Super PAC spending.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

See? Republicans are right. We don’t need to get money out of politics. Money ain’t worth poo poo.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Wow, I had no idea Grandpa Bloodgates was spending that much on ad buys. Has nobody told him that being unmarried and sorta effeminate means he never had a chance in the first place?

Probably the same guy that never told the Donald that having been through 3 wives isn't exactly kosher with a good chunk of the red team.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Joementum posted:

Not having a stoned play-doh face combined with a terrible social media presence would have helped too.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

SnakePlissken posted:

Probably the same guy that never told the Donald that having been through 3 wives isn't exactly kosher with a good chunk of the red team.

Divorce and infidelity are very minor sins in contrast to The Homo Threat to right wing evangelicals (see: Kim Davis).

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

radical meme posted:

From the same article:

Trump may not even place in the top 3 in Iowa. Is Iowa going to be Trump's Waterloo?

Possibly, though Trump might be able to bullshit away a loss if he comes in second or third.

Trump will probably do better in primaries, and there aren't enough caucuses, with enough delegates, for Cruz or Rubio to out-organize him. The biggest threat to Trump is a narrative emerging that he's a loser.

Best case for Trump, given current trends:

1. Cruz wins Iowa. Trump does good enough that it doesn't kill his campaign.
2. Trump wins NH and SC.
3. Cruz wins Nevada.
4. Reince Preibus dies of alcohol poisoning.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 22, 2016

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Iowa doesn't matter, if you successfully set the expectation that Iowa doesn't matter. So really Trump should probably get on lowering expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If Trump places like fifth in Iowa it'll be hard to combat the idea that he's a paper tiger.

• Locked thread