Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

neonbregna posted:

lol if you tipping minimum isn't 20%

... and here we go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wheany posted:

... and here we go

not on my watch, fucktard.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lomarf. watch.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dislike button posted:

calling someone a tax avoider is a really stupid term. it's proper financial decision making for me to deduct my mortgage interest, state income taxes, property taxes, etc which the government explicitly allows me to do, and if I instead for some reason just claimed the standard deduction it doesn't mean I am superior morally or ethically it just means I'm bad with money and as a result have overpaid

please

the deductions you lists, if you claim them, are being used as intended. apple and other large corporations are jumping through arcane hoops and exploiting holes in jurisdiction in order to avoid paying taxes that they would have to pay otherwise. stuff like opening a skeleton office in reno to pay NV corporate taxes rather than CA taxes, or recognizing profits in ireland or the british virgin islands.

it's unethical, and it's also an unfair advantage against companies whose sales aren't as easy to delocalize~

quote:

As it stands, the company paid cash taxes of $3.3 billion around the world on its reported profits of $34.2 billion last year, a tax rate of 9.8 percent. (Apple does not disclose what portion of those payments was in the United States, or what portion is assigned to previous or future years.)

By comparison, Wal-Mart last year paid worldwide cash taxes of $5.9 billion on its booked profits of $24.4 billion, a tax rate of 24 percent, which is about average for non-tech companies.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

75% tax on all corporation profits

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

PleasureKevin posted:

i actually kind of hate this attitude.

if it bothers you so much how about you get super wealthy and buy up all of the apple stock and then do a hostile takeover and then liquidate the entire company and give all the money to the government instead of being a punk rear end buster sitting in a dimly lit room sticking your pinkie in your belly button and sniffing it while giggling

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

please

the deductions you lists, if you claim them, are being used as intended. apple and other large corporations are jumping through arcane hoops and exploiting holes in jurisdiction in order to avoid paying taxes that they would have to pay otherwise. stuff like opening a skeleton office in reno to pay NV corporate taxes rather than CA taxes, or recognizing profits in ireland or the british virgin islands.

it's unethical, and it's also an unfair advantage against companies whose sales aren't as easy to delocalize~

"Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes."

"Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of morals is mere cant."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Stux posted:

75% tax on all corporation profits

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

what incentive does apple have to lose almost half of its overseas money by repatriation? they can get loans at like 2% interest rates and just keep that money overseas to deal with expenses there and wait for the tax code to be fixed. People shouldn't get mad at Apple and Buffet for paying exactly what they are required to pay, they are symptoms of a problem of a lovely tax code that needs to be updated to actually reflect how the modern economy works. I don't think morals can really be applied to tax burdens and stuff

note: it's patriation, not repatriation. the money came from business overseas

there's no reason to bring that money to the US anyway. apple USA isn't on the edge of bankruptcy, and they're a global company with countless assets and liabilities overseas. bringing foreign holdings to the US for no other reason than to pay unnecessary taxes is a breach of fiduciary duty

and these "elaborate tax schemes" arent

Pinterest Mom posted:

please

luckily california pursues foreign corporations with nexus in its borders, especially the once-popular foreign nevada corporation, eliminating the purpose of such arrangement except for the most off-the-radar and inconsequential companies

and it turns out these jurisdiction loopholes are called trade agreements

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I am the arbiter of which corporate structures are immoral. corporations should pay until I feel they have sufficiently atoned for whatever evils I have ascribed to them.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Triglav posted:

there's no reason to bring that money to the US anyway. apple USA isn't on the edge of bankruptcy, and they're a global company with countless assets and liabilities overseas. bringing foreign holdings to the US for no other reason than to pay unnecessary taxes is a breach of fiduciary duty

apple's number one use for that money would be to buy back its own shares and pay dividends. it can't do this with money held outside the US. but instead of giving money to their stock holders, people apparently prefer they hold on to it and accumulate interest.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this is a poo poo discussion and really boring

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mlyp

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dislike button posted:

yep and that's pretty much what Tim Cook is saying, it's political crap to attack them for following the rules when the governments responsibility is to set and enforce those rules. Of course they have better things to do like try to repeal obamacare for 70th time

yeah corps aren't subject to notions of human morality but they also don't need to be defended by fanboys against political attacks as though their human feelings are hurt. apple is a convenient example of a large company that pays less US tax than joe voter might consider fair, and politicians using them as an example to advocate for corporate tax reform is perfectly valid since any eventual law changes would be applied equally to their fellow multinationals.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

wish katie cotton still worked at apple. she would destroy the verge

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
ban cremnob :toot:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yeah

cremnob posted:

Apple Inc Chief Executive Tim Cook dismissed as "total political crap" the notion that the tech giant was avoiding taxes.

Cook's remarks, made on CBS's 60 Minutes show, come amid a debate in the United States over corporations avoiding taxes through techniques such as so-called inversion deals, where a company redomiciles its tax base to another country.

"Apple pays every tax dollar we owe," Cook told 60 Minutes' Charlie Rose in an interview.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

yeah corps aren't subject to notions of human morality but they also don't need to be defended by fanboys against political attacks as though their human feelings are hurt. apple is a convenient example of a large company that pays less US tax than joe voter might consider fair, and politicians using them as an example to advocate for corporate tax reform is perfectly valid since any eventual law changes would be applied equally to their fellow multinationals.

hardly a fanboy I'm just pointing out that Tim Cook happens to be correct about how retarded the us corporate tax code is and if anything he didn't go far enough in his criticism.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pay the minimum. always.

the ferengi are the most correct society.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Smythe posted:

not on my watch, fucktard.

neonbregna: You see this little hole? This moth's just about to emerge. It's in there right now, struggling. It's digging its way through the thick hide of the cocoon. Now, I could help it, take my knife, gently widen the opening, and the moth would be free. But it would be too weak to survive. The struggle is nature's way of strengthening it. Now this is the second time you've asked me for your drugs back. Ask me again and it's yours.

smythe: ?!?

Smythe is not the hero somethingawful.com deserves but the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark mod.

Smythe 2016 down with fascist lowtax

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dislike button posted:

hardly a fanboy I'm just pointing out that Tim Cook happens to be correct about how retarded the us corporate tax code is and if anything he didn't go far enough in his criticism.

no, that's fair, i wasn't trying to imply the fanboy was you, it was more of a general observation

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I am a huge fanboy of all of these corporations and think mean old politicians shouldn't pick on them.

General Electric $119b
Microsoft $92.9b
Pfizer $74b
Apple $69.7b
IBM $61.4b
Merck $60b
Johnson & Johnson $53.4b
Cisco Systems $52.7b
Exxon Mobil $51b
Google $47.4b
Procter & Gamble $44b
Citigroup $43.8b
Hewlett-Packard $42.9b
Oracle $39.3b
PepsiCo $37.8b
Chevron $35.7b
Coca-Cola $33.3b
JPMorgan Chase $31.1b
Amgen $29.3b

or maybe I think they should have a sane avenue of getting all that money into the US so they could spend it inside the country. the total is over $2 trillion

The Management fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 20, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The Management posted:

I am a huge fanboy of all of these corporations and think mean old politicians shouldn't pick on them.

General Electric $119b
Microsoft $92.9b
Pfizer $74b
Apple $69.7b
IBM $61.4b
Merck $60b
Johnson & Johnson $53.4b
Cisco Systems $52.7b
Exxon Mobil $51b
Google $47.4b
Procter & Gamble $44b
Citigroup $43.8b
Hewlett-Packard $42.9b
Oracle $39.3b
PepsiCo $37.8b
Chevron $35.7b
Coca-Cola $33.3b
JPMorgan Chase $31.1b
Amgen $29.3b

or maybe I think they should have a sane avenue of getting all that money into the US so they could spend it inside the country. the total is over $2 trillion

lol if your answer is 'trickle down' tho

o abloo hoo 'double taxation'

guess loving what

that's what you pay for not being directly liable for your ownership stake

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

we should get rid of money, it only makes people upset

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
what if we switched to crypto currency

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i'll create lamorf coin to solve this probelme

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

General Electric $119b
Microsoft $92.9b
Pfizer $74b
Apple $69.7b
IBM $61.4b
Merck $60b
Johnson & Johnson $53.4b
Cisco Systems $52.7b
Exxon Mobil $51b
Google $47.4b
Procter & Gamble $44b
Citigroup $43.8b
Hewlett-Packard $42.9b
Oracle $39.3b
PepsiCo $37.8b
Chevron $35.7b
Coca-Cola $33.3b
JPMorgan Chase $31.1b
Amgen $29.3b

you can remove pfizer from that list soon :cocaine:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what'd they do? I love those guys

the sales rep in my area is cute :3

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

what'd they do? I love those guys

the sales rep in my area is cute :3

What's his name?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
why haven't they made apple maps work yet

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

you want subway directions to littlefield, a popular bar three miles from you? are you sure you don't mean littlefield Texas? well aren't you dumb, there's no public transit to a town of six thousand people two thousand miles away from you

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

800 New York avenue? are you sure you don't mean east New York avenue, an entirely separate street?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
apple maps still doesn't have small streets in my area that are on not just google maps but openstreetmaps. its pretty impressive that its stayed bad this long.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
if you were truly dedicated to the righteous cause of the best mobile operating system on the best mobile hardware written by the best company who also makes the best computers with the best desktop UNIX operating system in the world then you would move somewhere where apple maps works instead of trying to use it somewhere where it doesn't

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

broken clock opsec posted:

if you were truly dedicated to the righteous cause of the best mobile operating system on the best mobile hardware written by the best company who also makes the best computers with the best desktop UNIX operating system in the world then you would move somewhere where apple maps works instead of trying to use it somewhere where it doesn't

:patriot:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

broken clock opsec posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

apple maps works for me. much faster to launch maps thank maps.google.com. as for transit, i just use the Transit app shows all the arrival times for bus stops near me, which is all i really want anyway since i know the routes.

• Locked thread