Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, let us know what she thinks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Wow, Kemet looks rad.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Pax Pamir can be a bit too economical in that it's sometimes hard to tell roads from military at a glance. Great game though

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Wow, Kemet looks rad.

It's very good! Check it out

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Unfortunately I don't have a group that would appreciate it at the moment, I don't think. How long does a game usually take? How is it with, say, two or three players?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Game takes less than 90 minutes and you want at least 3 players but 3 is still good. 2-player Kemet isn't great.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Two player kemet is zero-sum, as in the first player to successfully attack gains both the benefit of what they seize, plus the benefit of taking that away from their opponent. Decisions after that point become regrettably linear.

3+ player kemet has been scientifically proven to be loving ace

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 19, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I haven't been following the thread lately but just came to say I never high fived so good or genuinely as I did tonight at codenames. Anyway I am spymaster and it is one of those games and times where a 2 clue is all you can and need to do, you know?

My team mate was someone I had just met earlier and didn't know super well yet. I took a chance and gave the clue "Zelda:2" to which she guessed "Link" and "Triangle" perfectly.

Best high five I'm telling you :buddy:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I got Targi for dirt cheap at the LGS over the summer and finally got to play it. It's solid. It's pretty much worker placement with one major restriction (your workers are placed on the walls of a grid and then create intersecting points that give you additional actions). It has a really solid decision space for a short 2P game (45-60m).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 19, 2015

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Asmodee is going mad with power. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmodee-will-operate-asmodee-north-a

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Sinewave posted:

I haven't been following the thread lately but just came to say I never high fived so good or genuinely as I did tonight at codenames. Anyway I am spymaster and it is one of those games and times where a 2 clue is all you can and need to do, you know?

My team mate was someone I had just met earlier and didn't know super well yet. I took a chance and gave the clue "Zelda:2" to which she guessed "Link" and "Triangle" perfectly.

Best high five I'm telling you :buddy:

Ha! There's a guy in our group who can't stop griping that he gave "Zelda: 3" as a clue only to find that none of his team had ever played a Zelda game or even owned a console.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Welp, shots fired at CSI.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Man, gently caress these guys.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Wait does this mean I can't buy Xwing online?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, as written you can't buy any FFG or other Asmodee product online anymore, ever again.

Really though, it probably means they will get exclusive rights to sell online, so get ready to pay a poo poo ton more and never see a sale again.

Just stop buying FFG stuff in the next three months if you don't have a convenient FLGS near you.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Buy your copy of Kemet online while you still can. This also spells bad news for those of us without a well stocked FLGS nearby when the new expansion comes out. And the new Eclipse expansion. Or any Matagot game, really, or lautapelit or ystari or ludically or so many other games/companies distributed by Asmodee.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Welp, there goes any future X-wing purchases for me. I'm not loving waiting for my FLGS to get a specific mini in stock if I'm in the mood to impulse buy, and god knows how well selling online directly at MSRP + tax & shipping is doing for Games Workshop

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

'cause it worked out so well for GW when they did this a few years back. This'll make it much harder to get hold of surprise X-Wing/Armada stuff for friends birthdays etc. as there's only one local store that stocks it.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

What the actual gently caress

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Why would this make any sense to them anyway? Who cares what retailers sell to the customer for, aren't they getting the same amount of money from wholesaling to them anyway? Do they think they'll somehow make more money from people buying directly from them than they would wholesaling to hugely popular online retailers?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Calm down everyone, if you look into it more, CSI, Amazon, MM are all exempt from that rule. It doesn't let small FLGS's sell online. X-Wangs will still be cheap.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think this is going to blow up in their faces.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bottom Liner posted:

Calm down everyone, if you look into it more, CSI, Amazon, MM are all exempt from that rule. It doesn't let small FLGS's sell online. X-Wangs will still be cheap.

Well, we don't know what the target actually is, though. Is it the garage guy who buys wholesale and dumps the rest on ebay or is it MM and CSI?

This isn't unprecedented in board games- Mayfair has a policy of not allowing discounts below a point on their products.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Bottom Liner posted:

Could you hook a brother up with a direct quote?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

memy posted:

Could you hook a brother up with a direct quote?
It's ambiguous, but worded so the big guys are probably still fine to sell while everyone else has to prove themselves worthy. Weird all round. From the link:

quote:

Q: I want to sell products from Asmodee North America online, how do I do this?
A: We will be very selective as to which online merchants will be authorized to sell our products. To qualify as an online merchant, you will need to contribute either significant scale, unique service, or other exceptional differentiation. Most online sales activities, including sales through third party websites, will not be authorized.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

"Online sales and mail order will be prohibited with exceptions granted for online retailers that “contribute either significant scale, unique service, or other exceptional differentiation,” the company said. Those sales will take place under separate terms of sale from the Specialty Retail terms."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

If this was applied to the UK it would probably put BoardGameGuru and a couple of other retailers out of business.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I've heard a lot of EU gamers saying this really screws them. :(

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bottom Liner posted:

"Online sales and mail order will be prohibited with exceptions granted for online retailers that “contribute either significant scale, unique service, or other exceptional differentiation,” the company said. Those sales will take place under separate terms of sale from the Specialty Retail terms."

I think what they intend to do is to hit the online retailers with some kind of discount floor.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They're issuing a clarifying statement Monday to address online retailers in more detail, so we'll find out then.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Bottom Liner posted:

Small FLGS selling online is exactly where I can get my locally-discontinued* LCG fix in this country. :argh:

* Where I live, there's a clown company "Galakta" that somehow obtained the sole license to distribute FFG games and displays GW-level of competence and client friendliness. Sadly, the funniest part of their fuckups are the translations, which are hard to translate back into English while retaining the funny. Let's just say they can't even keep consistent translations of bloody keywords in a card game and produce twice the errata of the English versions.

Galakta is contractually obliged to stock some % of games in original English, but actually hates to do that, because in their case more profit goes directly to FFG or something, going as far as pulling poo poo where they only accept :poland:-translated cards on tournaments because waah waah how can we support the scene when no-one gives us money? Now, for some time there were guys willing to stick with the (worse, slightly more expensive and usually delayed by 2-6 months) translated versions in a way you'd buy a slightly more expensive game from a FLGS just to support it. However, all of that is gone because Galakta has a weird raubwirtschaft/noob gouging business scheme where they start hyping/pushing every single collectible FFG series and drop them after an expansion or two. This could be understandable, because we all know this ain't Magic and the scene is limited, but:
A) It literally happened every time with a startling regularity in terms of how long they stick with a product.
B) There's a layer of dumbness where it's hard not to assume malice underneath. I mean, literally a week after waah-waaing that they can't sustain loving Netrunner, they go all "hey, we're working on translating this little thing called diskwars, remember to buy translations, we're totes gonna rock the competitive community this time" :downs:(after some good 3-4 months after world premiere, by when it was obvious it ain't gonna top the charts).

They are somehow very confused and angry that no one wants to buy their lovely translations anymore.

So basically the only way to get FFG collectibles is to have retailers import them themselves from abroad. I am quite pissed by this move from Asmodee, because the closest shop with a guaranteed stock for my game of choice is a 2 hour ride, but here's hoping the French overlords will at least mercy kill Galakta by revoking their license and nominate a new champion.

PS. Admittedly, I think translated X-Wings are still going as an exception to the rule, but I don't really want to say anything good about this company.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 19, 2015

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Remember, you have to buy products and pay as much as possible to support the board gaming industry, because otherwise it might go away.

Meanwhile, the board game industry is free to rig prices as much as it can in order to maximize the dollars they think they can reasonably get out of you.

Seems fair.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

SU&SD posted:

As for what to expect in 2016?

Matt, Paul and myself are all agreed that this year SU&SD drifted a little closer to traditional games coverage. It's only natural- reviews, previews and reports of tournaments or events give us reliable traffic and a happy audience. But there are plenty of other sites that do that, and besides, it was never our aim. When we founded SU&SD it was to get people into board games by showing them what was beautiful about it, and entertaining them along the way.

To that end we're nicknaming 2016 the Good Fun Annum. The plan is to offer a little less inside baseball for enthusiasts and focus more on stuff everyone can enjoy. More videos (like the Megagame!) that you can share with your friends who don't play many games, but totally should.

So, more coverage of the games we love, less of those we don't. More of our passion and sense of humour, and less being distracted by our new knowledge of the board game industry.

None of you guys read SU&SD to hear us argue about the best Friedemann Friese game, you know? We'll never be as good at that as the established gurus. Instead, we're going to double down on what makes us different. A renewed focus on "Look at this, this is beautiful, here's how you can get involved."

Looks like they're settling on a direction to go.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Good on them. That was what put them on the map in the first place. They're at their best prosletysing what they love, and kinda uneven when it comes to actual critique (except for Paul, he's not bad at all)

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Just got Mansions of Madness at a Christmas party. Haven't heard of it. Any good? Honestly thought it was an Arkham Horror expansion at first, but it has miniatures. I don't have Arkham Horror anyway.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

QnoisX posted:

Just got Mansions of Madness at a Christmas party. Haven't heard of it. Any good? Honestly thought it was an Arkham Horror expansion at first, but it has miniatures. I don't have Arkham Horror anyway.

It takes longer to set up than many games take to play.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I just got Automobile on clearance for $12.50. Good deal, great deal?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Great deal. Automobile is an excellent medium/heavy game, one of Wallace's best designs.

Mechanically it takes a cue from 18XX games with advancing car designs that obsolete others, coupled with steam-like action selection for turn order + abilities.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

The End posted:

Good on them. That was what put them on the map in the first place. They're at their best prosletysing what they love, and kinda uneven when it comes to actual critique (except for Paul, he's not bad at all)

I hope they can still find it in themselves to do something like their Cards Against Humanity review, which was both necessary and cathartic as a counterpoint to all the uncritical praise this game got almost everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

My Martin Wallace gateway drug. It's an awesome game that will make you crave clever economic games. There's no turning back from here.