Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
"Who cares what a bunch of corn shuckers think? Iowa, they're all losers in Iowa."

- how Donald Trump will explain a third place finish in Iowa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Trump needs a top 3 finish in Iowa or the fun ride is over.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

still a lot of time for random poo poo to happen obviously, feeling like the threadgeist is heading toward trump not winning iowa though, the articles about trump's organization seem to have offered persuasive anecdotes to supplement the arguments that he'll underperform his polling numbers

it'll be interesting to see if polling changes move in the same direction as the differential between the final poll averages and the ultimate vote, and then to see how predictive late polling movement was, if anything can be gleaned from the noisy one-election sample

and then to see where the lines go in new hampshire, and then after that to compare final polling averages with results. to analyze

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
isn't trump's entire shtick based on him being a winner? he's dead in the water if he doesn't finish first. people hate a loser.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Money solves a lot of problems, but not all of them.

What I'm saying is he should put Iowa volunteers on his payroll and dish out absurd amounts of money to them in order to get people to caucus for him there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Peachstapler posted:

Yeah but what about my 4-stroke Johnson outboard?

Hey if your Johnson only needs 4 strokes maybe you should lay off the ethanol a little.

uncurable mlady posted:

isn't trump's entire shtick based on him being a winner? he's dead in the water if he doesn't finish first. people hate a loser.

Nah, they don't hate losers if they can find an excuse for why they lost, because if someone beat you with substance without style that means it wasn't honorable and you get to have a mulligan.

It's been 150 years for some folks.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 19, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Montasque posted:

Trump needs a top 3 finish in Iowa or the fun ride is over.

Does anyone threaten to bump him out? Cruz is first. Is Carson still pulling enough? Who else has been putting in work in Iowa?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^rubio's been sitting around 12.5% for more than a month which puts him pretty close to half of trump and cruz' current averages. even assuming rubio keeps campaigning with the intensity of a nineteenth century candidate he could be close enough to trump's averages to pull out ahead if trump loses a lot of his votes in the poll -> vote conversion. i have a hard time seeing carson still placing in the top three though, he's lost more than half of his support since the start of november and he's now below rubio

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/ia/iowa_republican_presidential_caucus-3194.html

he's whined his way through enough poo poo that you would've thought would've made him lose support that i wouldn't want to totally write him off but it'd definitely take some of the shine off

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 19, 2015

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
His schtick is that he's an outsider who says stuff that the other guy won't. The gently caress you Im a winner persona is part of that, but his campaign doesnt come to pieces if he does reasonably well in Iowa but doesn't win it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

uncurable mlady posted:

This. He's winning now because his polls are winning because the polls say he's winning because....

He's a never ending cycle that can only be stopped with the primaries. The real story is how will the GOP try and gently caress up Cruz?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Yeah, but outside of Rubio, Friend Ben (who has dropped 15% in one month) and Cruz nobody else is topping 5% currently (and yes, I know Iowans can be capricious and break for a crazy like Santorum at the last day). It's hard to imagine Trump doing worse than third especially if Cruz spends the next month making GBS threads all over Rubio for not hating immigrants enough.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Montasque posted:

"He’s angry at everything and everyone right now. Despondent, depressed, and angry at the world. He is having a very difficult time grasping the reality of someone like Donald Trump at the top of the polls and seeing himself in single-digits. Jeb isn’t his brother. Jeb is a cry-baby and that part of his character is really coming through the last few months as he’s struggled to get anyone to pay attention to his version of things. People want tough and that’s something Jeb Bush has never been.”

I want to believe...
http://dcwhispers.com/jeb-bush-despondent-depressed-angry-at-the-world/#P5ELyTFs1Yc2A5Kc.99

Ohmygod the schadenfreude I might just die of it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Maarek posted:

His schtick is that he's an outsider who says stuff that the other guy won't. The gently caress you Im a winner persona is part of that, but his campaign doesnt come to pieces if he does reasonably well in Iowa but doesn't win it.

what if trump comes in behind jeb? lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

uncurable mlady posted:

what if trump comes in behind jeb? lol

Trump has been coming in jeb's behind for a while now

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

On the other hand, doesn't Trump do well even if you screen the polls for likely caucus goers?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Imagine Right To Rise PAC people just straight showing up to the Iowa precincts offering bundles of cash to anyone willing to caucus for Jeb!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

"He’s angry at everything and everyone right now. Despondent, depressed, and angry at the world. He is having a very difficult time grasping the reality of someone like Donald Trump at the top of the polls and seeing himself in single-digits. Jeb isn’t his brother. Jeb is a cry-baby and that part of his character is really coming through the last few months as he’s struggled to get anyone to pay attention to his version of things. People want tough and that’s something Jeb Bush has never been.”

I want to believe...
http://dcwhispers.com/jeb-bush-despondent-depressed-angry-at-the-world/#P5ELyTFs1Yc2A5Kc.99

FREE OFFER!

“ARE YOU PREPARED TO PROTECT FAMILY & FRIEND FROM A WORLD GONE MAD?”

Apocalyptic Fiction: RACE WARS: Episodes 1-2: An Apocalyptic Fiction SHTF Prepper Survival Series...

GET THE FIRST TWO EPISODES OF THE EPIC RACE WARS SERIES FOR FREE HERE

“A top-notch epic series that mirrors today’s reality. This is D.W. Ulsterman’s best work yet. Once you start reading, you can’t put it down.”

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 22, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Boosted_C5 posted:

My F-150 is only 10 years old, but our household income is safely in the 95th percentile now.

How loving out of touch are all these rear end-hole auto-executives who keep green-lighting commercials every December with annoying white liberal douche-bags in hipster houses buying a loving brand new Lexus for each-other as Christmas gifts??? I am republican as all hell and even I want to eat these people.

Of course it's not just Lexus and Mercedes anymore. I though about us getting a new Chevy Tahoe and looked up the latest model on a whim. L-O-loving-L GM wants $50,000 for a freaking GM truck??? Hahahahahaha. The price of an AMERICAN TRUCK is now more than annual U.S. household income. No loving wonder these brain-dead idiots needed a bailout. Same poo poo interiors, same egregious use of plastic, now with a luxury car price.

I was worried about turning into a greedy rear end-hole once we FINALLY emerged from all the years of education and poverty, but NOPE actually having money to spend now is making me want to be more generous with family, freinds, neighbors, etc. even more because how in the ever-loving gently caress can a middle-class family that will always be middle-class afford loving anything???

They realize how much idiot truck-lovers are willing to pay and price accordingly.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

fishmech posted:

Imagine Right To Rise PAC people just straight showing up to the Iowa precincts offering bundles of cash to anyone willing to caucus for Jeb!

that would probably be the best use for jebs money seeing how traditional campaign spending has done nothing except make his media people very happy

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Now I might be wrong but hasn't Trump actually been behind in Iowa polls before? And he's always been pointing to his number 1 standing in national polls as evidence to him being a winner. Won't be just do the same if he doesn't win iowa?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/gop-trump-putin-216949

politico article about how horrified the GOP is at the Trump-Putin love. pretty funny

quote:

Trump's warm embrace of the Russian president has shocked and alarmed the Republican establishment. There's no secret about why Trump has psychologically tethered himself to Putin, whose bombast rivals that of the U.S. billionaire businessman and whose own strongman reputation reinforces Trump's. But as the United States and its allies try to beat back Russia's intrusions into Ukraine and Syria, Trump has ruffled countless feathers by cozying up to the Russian leader.

Romney's former aides embody the GOP backlash, and on Friday morning, as Trump offered his latest flattery for Putin, they seethed.

“Donald Trump is like that stray dog anybody can pet and it will follow you home,” former top Romney adviser Stuart Stevens told POLITICO. “Putin praises him so he loves Putin. It's embarrassing and sad. He's a seriously damaged individual who is deeply insecure and needs attention and praise and the source doesn't matter.”

Another former Romney adviser, who did not want to be named, said emails were flying around Friday morning among ex-staffers and friends after Trump on MSNBC heaped praise on Putin and hesitated to condemn the Russian leader for allegations the Kremlin has killed high-profile journalists critical of Putin, saying "our country does plenty of killing also."

That adviser said it was “shocking, appalling and disgusting” for him to equate Russia’s killing of journalists with anything that America does. “What he said about America killing people,” this person said, “that crosses the line.”

:qq: shocking, appalling and disgusting :qq:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Montasque posted:

I want to believe...

GET THE FIRST TWO EPISODES OF THE EPIC RACE WARS SERIES FOR FREE

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The RNC clearly has no idea what their base thinks about Putin--or anything else for that matter, other than god and guns.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Joementum posted:

Those predictions were all from like August. Done again today they'd probably rate Bush a bit lower, though likely not much, and Cruz and Christie higher.

They reevaluate the odds fairly frequently, most recently they were betting on who's next to drop out. Here are their totally subjective, not even a little scientific, odds for the nomination from November 9th

Squalid fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 19, 2015

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

politico article about how horrified the GOP is at the Trump-Putin love. pretty funny

Trump is emerging as the pragmatist candidate in the GOP race.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Well, I was waiting for the thing Trump would say after the debate to control the media again, and completely missed it. It is the Putin thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Romney hates him? I’m sold.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Squalid posted:

They reevaluate the odds fairly frequently, most recently they were betting on who's next to drop out. Here are their totally subjective, not even a little scientific, odds for the nomination from November 9th

With the proviso that, at that time, Kasich was polling in NH where Christie is now, those numbers seem reasonable.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Whiskey Sours posted:

"Who cares what a bunch of corn shuckers think? Iowa, they're all losers in Iowa."

- how Donald Trump will explain a third place finish in Iowa

Probably, but it's not like he's running a significantly better campaign in the other primary states. If Trump fails to win Iowa it's because his campaign isn't really a new, unknown force in politics and the general rules that govern how these things work are still in place, which means he's also going to lose in NH and SC and everywhere else.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Squalid posted:

In the end it's going to turn out that their odds were less predictive than if they just gave every candidate 100/n (where n=total candidates who ever appeared at the grown up debate table).

And then we'll get to hear that the problem wasn't with their models! The problem was that reality failed to fit their models!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Joementum posted:

Probably, but it's not like he's running a significantly better campaign in the other primary states. If Trump fails to win Iowa it's because his campaign isn't really a new, unknown force in politics and the general rules that govern how these things work are still in place, which means he's also going to lose in NH and SC and everywhere else.

Iowa is certainly a harder hurdle than other states. But yes the question always was will these people even vote.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

quote:

“Donald Trump is like that stray dog anybody can pet and it will follow you home,” former top Romney adviser Stuart Stevens told POLITICO. “Putin praises him so he loves Putin. It's embarrassing and sad. He's a seriously damaged individual who is deeply insecure and needs attention and praise and the source doesn't matter.”

Former top Romney adviser Stuart Stevens told POLITICO: He's a seriously damaged individual who is deeply insecure and needs attention and praise and the source doesn't matter. Wait, that's my old boss, I mean, yeah, they're exactly the same.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

If Trump loses Iowa, it will not turn away his rabid base. They will find an excuse and that will explain it.

I no longer think Trump is in this to win it (I have went back and forth this entire time on if he really wanted to win). I now think Trump is in this to be kingmaker. He wants to be the one to make the real decision. He tells his people who to support and he still wins.

This is why I think Cruz is in the best position.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Subvisual Haze posted:

In the end it's going to turn out that their odds were less predictive than if they just gave every candidate 100/n (where n=total candidates who ever appeared at the grown up debate table).

And then we'll get to hear that the problem wasn't with their models! The problem was that reality failed to fit their models!

That isn't a model for the eight hundredth time

They don't do a model for primaries, ever

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Then can we expect the RNC to pivot to ratfucking Cruz at this point? If Trump's fate is sealed, why not go after the real problem.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Trump will probably do lovely in Iowa and will accuse the Iowa Republican party of fraud because how could he not be be first and his crazy supporters will think it is a giant conspiracy and the whole thing will burn to the ground.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

radical meme posted:

Then can we expect the RNC to pivot to ratfucking Cruz at this point? If Trump's fate is sealed, why not go after the real problem.

If they're perfectly rational, they should be doing that, but they often aren't.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

memy posted:

That isn't a model for the eight hundredth time

They don't do a model for primaries, ever

Nate Silver is famous for being the nerd with magic math skills who can predict things accurately. If all of his predictions turn out to be comically wrong, where does that leave him relative to every other hack pundit out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

radical meme posted:

Then can we expect the RNC to pivot to ratfucking Cruz at this point? If Donald "We need global warming" Trump's fate is sealed, why not go after the real problem.

I don't think the RNC has any desire to ratfuck Cruz, they seem to think the best case is for it to roll into Cruz vs Rubio for the big stage. Teabaggers get their guy, they get their establishment guy, it all looks very fair, all that.

• Locked thread