Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ryanbruce posted:

Alright, so now I'm curious. What do you pay monthly on Sprint, and what's your average monthly usage? What's your peak?

I'm a SERO dude paying $55/mo. I average around 4-5 GB per month and occasionally I have pushed that up to 15GB.

I have the original Samsung S4 so I can use LTE data and voice chat at the same time unlike spark phones.

I'm just not in a rush to switch, but when I do, it will most likely be to Cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
That is exactly me except I have an Iphone. I've been up to near 100gb once, but that was tethering (when I shouldn't be) to an Ipad streaming for a vacation.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
My neighborhood growing up got unlucky with broadband rollouts and Comcast decided to end their coverage right outside it, leaving us with the option of either dialup, satellite, or tether. As it happened there's a Sprint tower nearby and I guess not too many other people use it.

When the penalties for overusing unlimited came out in October I checked their usage and on the tether line for our family plan alone they had used 80 gb, so I guess we're not going to reup any contracts or upgrade handsets any time soon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So now that I'm finally in the process of moving off of Sprint... do I need to ship the Airrave back or can I just take it to a store and call it good?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

IOwnCalculus posted:

So now that I'm finally in the process of moving off of Sprint... do I need to ship the Airrave back or can I just take it to a store and call it good?

Stores won't take it. You have to call them and they'll either send you a prepaid box or a shipping label (I can't remember which). A year ago, the airave number was 855-231-5471 but I don't know if it still is.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
After forcing my s6 into CDMA only for ~5 months, I finally got continuous LTE service again.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I bought an LG G4 a few months ago and I just lost it. Device Manager and location history are no help. I don't have TEP. Do i have any options other than buy a cheap referb? Are there any decent prices on survivable phones? I like big screens, but I realize I can't be picky.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

RodShaft posted:

I bought an LG G4 a few months ago and I just lost it. Device Manager and location history are no help. I don't have TEP. Do i have any options other than buy a cheap referb? Are there any decent prices on survivable phones? I like big screens, but I realize I can't be picky.

Was the battery still charged and on? Bluetooth or wifi on? If you had something paired with the bluetooth, you could walk around with that in the area you think it is. Otherwise if it's connected over wifi you might be able to get an idea of where based off of the signal strength the router says. Other than that I can't think of too many more options if Device Manager / Location History aren't working right; which I've seen with my devices before too

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I drove off with it on my roof, so I have little hope that if I find it, it would be in one piece. I was thinking options like if Sprint or LG had a replacement policy fit lost phones for less than retail or anything. Are lost phones even covered by TEP if I had it?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

RodShaft posted:

I drove off with it on my roof, so I have little hope that if I find it, it would be in one piece. I was thinking options like if Sprint or LG had a replacement policy fit lost phones for less than retail or anything. Are lost phones even covered by TEP if I had it?

Yes, TEP covers lost and stolen devices. Tbh that's the main reason I push it. Screen repairs are usually cheaper than the deductible, but a lost phone isn't.

Edit: plus if you're on a lease or easy pay, you're still on the hook for payments for that phone.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 19, 2015

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I'm guessing 3 months is too late to sign up for TEP. Is there any decent used/referbed phones for under $100? Is my best bet to cut my loses and just go to Tmobile or Cricket something? I use about 6gig of data a month and pay $55 when all is said and done.

Edit: Im under contract until august 2017, so that's a no go. So I guess I just need recomendations on decent phones available for under a hundred.

Edit 2: does sprint charge an activation fee every time you activate a phone? Like if I activate an old flip phone to use for a week while I wait for a new phone, will I be charged $36 or whatever both times?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 19, 2015

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

RodShaft posted:

I'm guessing 3 months is too late to sign up for TEP. Is there any decent used/referbed phones for under $100? Is my best bet to cut my loses and just go to Tmobile or Cricket something? I use about 6gig of data a month and pay $55 when all is said and done.

Edit: Im under contract until august 2017, so that's a no go. So I guess I just need recomendations on decent phones available for under a hundred.

Edit 2: does sprint charge an activation fee every time you activate a phone? Like if I activate an old flip phone to use for a week while I wait for a new phone, will I be charged $36 or whatever both times?
I activated a new device using the Sprint website and I wasn't charged anything. You don't need a rep to do it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

RodShaft posted:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering right, but even if you wanted to go the scammy way and add TEP (which sometimes you can do after the 1st month if they are having open enrollment), I think it has to be active for 30 days before you can do a claim. Which at that point you'd be phoneless for a month, and it may be a major flag if it hadn't been on that entire time

Almost certain the activation fee is only for new phones; so old phones are a-okay to put on your plan.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I apparently could have added TEP, but found an LG G4 locally for $200. So I'm not tempted to be scammy.

I didn't go with tep, because if the phone lasted a year, it would be cheaper to get it used than to pay TEP and the deposit. Gambled and lost this time. I hadn't used TEP since I had a defective Touch Pro, so I decided to cut it off my plan a couple phones ago. Total, I used it twice since getting sero 10ish years ago. just sucks losing a phone this soon into a contract. Thanks for all the help guys.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

No, customer owned devices do not incur activation fees.

Also if you get a galaxy device on a lease between now and christmas eve, you get a free 32" samsung LED tv.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

I'm not sure if I'm remembering right, but even if you wanted to go the scammy way and add TEP (which sometimes you can do after the 1st month if they are having open enrollment), I think it has to be active for 30 days before you can do a claim. Which at that point you'd be phoneless for a month, and it may be a major flag if it hadn't been on that entire time

This is correct FYI. They would have flagged it.

Glad it got figured out though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm on SERO with 1 phone. Are there options to add a line?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
You can add a line but it won't have SERO. I think you can always buy another plan that has SERO that someone doesn't want because you have one already. But no, you can't just add another SERO plan if that's what you are asking.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So new lines under my name will be subject to current plan offerings. Gotcha.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
I think so, or they might be eligible for EPRP.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Moved to a new house and there is no signal. Inside the house the airrave works but outside we get nothing. Called sprint to see if we can get ETFs waived and they said we showed as being in fair coverage so no.

They said they could soft reset the phone to have us use a closer tower but that makes no sense.

Any pointers on getting out? We have tested verizon and AT&T and they have signal at the new house.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

Moved to a new house and there is no signal. Inside the house the airrave works but outside we get nothing. Called sprint to see if we can get ETFs waived and they said we showed as being in fair coverage so no.

They said they could soft reset the phone to have us use a closer tower but that makes no sense.

Any pointers on getting out? We have tested verizon and AT&T and they have signal at the new house.

You can always download an app to force roam, use more than 50% data, and in 3 months that voids your contract. Can anyone confirm that is still a loophole?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

You can always download an app to force roam, use more than 50% data, and in 3 months that voids your contract. Can anyone confirm that is still a loophole?

AFAIK only on old eds and sero plans. All new plans have that closed.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am on SERO, and I don't know when it changed, but I went from having unlimited 1X Roaming as far as I remember, to having only 300MB of 3G level roaming before roaming data was turned off until the next billing cycle. I wonder if this has something to do with the Free International Roaming deal they added a while back that you had to turn on. I don't use roaming that often, but going from unlimited to 300MB hard cap is a bit annoying.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am on SERO, and I don't know when it changed, but I went from having unlimited 1X Roaming as far as I remember, to having only 300MB of 3G level roaming before roaming data was turned off until the next billing cycle. I wonder if this has something to do with the Free International Roaming deal they added a while back that you had to turn on. I don't use roaming that often, but going from unlimited to 300MB hard cap is a bit annoying.

That's a hard cap now? ooph, no wonder my phone wasn't working on vacation last week.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

e.pilot posted:

That's a hard cap now? ooph, no wonder my phone wasn't working on vacation last week.

Yea got Test at around the 250Mb mark, then at the 280-290 area, then finally at 300 it was a hard shut off.

At least it is full 3G speeds though over the really slow 1X speeds we got before. :/

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

AFAIK only on old eds and sero plans. All new plans have that closed.

What about voice then?

Would it also make it so that you couldn't call or get called after a certain roaming usage?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

uapyro posted:

What about voice then?

Would it also make it so that you couldn't call or get called after a certain roaming usage?

I don't think that is a problem as it would probably just go toward your minutes usage (if you still have that like I do on a Sero Plan (500))

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

I don't think that is a problem as it would probably just go toward your minutes usage (if you still have that like I do on a Sero Plan (500))

From the T&C:
Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes;

I found a few posts on various sites of people being kicked off for voice roaming, but none of them are too recent.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

fyallm posted:

How close are you to the end of your contract? It may be worth to pay the ETF if you aren't like 2 months into your 2 year contract. It comes to about $20 per month left on contract per phone.

I was 6 months out for two phones but the incentives from Verizon ($300 trade-in per phone) and Samsung ($Crap load of swag for phone and Samsung Pay setup) made it too attractive to pass up switching now. I'm so much happier with my Verizon service than I was with Sprint. I was on an old unlimited everything plan with Sprint paying around $150 a month. We really only used 2-3GB of data thanks to wifi most places we are. I got a 3GB plan on Verizon with two brand new Galaxy S6 phones spread out over 24 months and I'm paying less than my Sprint bill.

I'll have to pay $240 ETF to Sprint, but got over $1,000 in discounts/credits/stuff in return for switching my two phones over. I just looked at Samsung's site, looks like it ended Dec 31st :( You might not have been interested in their phone anyway.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Welp. I've executed my first round of New Years resolutions: Eliminate the slow financial bleed of overpriced services.

So I've started the porting process away from Sprint to my Google Voice account.. Farewell Sprint, hello AT&T! I'm leeching off my brother's plan, so I'm only having to pay the $15 to add a line. This far and away beats my SERO plan!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
My girlfriend called up Sprint in November to ask when her phone contract was up. This put her in a sales call queue and the sales agent told her that her contract was already up and started trying to sell her new phone contracts.

She declined and cancelled the service a month later, and then started receiving a few hundred dollars in fees and threats from Sprint on her credit.

She called them back up today to cancel her tablet because of the mysterious fees and figure out what was going on. The agent said the fees were early termination fees from cancelling the phone. When she said she was told the phone was out of contract the customer service agent said the "sales agent entered no notes about <lying to you> so it was a proper fee". She then asked to cancel the tablet service and the customer service agent hung up on her.

What's the best next step? I'm leaning towards cancelling service, paying the ransom, then writing a letter threatening to file an FTC complaint for bill cramming.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Pitre posted:

How close are you to the end of your contract? It may be worth to pay the ETF if you aren't like 2 months into your 2 year contract. It comes to about $20 per month left on contract per phone.

I was 6 months out for two phones but the incentives from Verizon ($300 trade-in per phone) and Samsung ($Crap load of swag for phone and Samsung Pay setup) made it too attractive to pass up switching now. I'm so much happier with my Verizon service than I was with Sprint. I was on an old unlimited everything plan with Sprint paying around $150 a month. We really only used 2-3GB of data thanks to wifi most places we are. I got a 3GB plan on Verizon with two brand new Galaxy S6 phones spread out over 24 months and I'm paying less than my Sprint bill.

I'll have to pay $240 ETF to Sprint, but got over $1,000 in discounts/credits/stuff in return for switching my two phones over. I just looked at Samsung's site, looks like it ended Dec 31st :( You might not have been interested in their phone anyway.

We just reupped in April =/ I will prolly eat the ETFs, I contacted Sprint on twitter and supposedly they are looking into it for me.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Oh yeah one more thing.. Do you guys know how picky the Airrave guys are? I'd left my unit with my parents because of crappy reception in one spot, but dad's lost the power supply.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

We just reupped in April =/ I will prolly eat the ETFs, I contacted Sprint on twitter and supposedly they are looking into it for me.

Verizon will pay ETFs right now. It's a pain, and you have to trade in the valid phones and they can't be damaged, but you would get the money back.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon will pay ETFs right now. It's a pain, and you have to trade in the valid phones and they can't be damaged, but you would get the money back.

I read about that, and went in and they told me it was only bill credits but then I thought I read you could request like a mastercard gift card.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

I read about that, and went in and they told me it was only bill credits but then I thought I read you could request like a mastercard gift card.

There's a lot of confusion. It's a partial bill credit for phone trade in, and the rest is a visa gift card.

So if your cancellation is $300, and your phone trade in is $100, you would get $100 on the spot, $200 gift card in 8 weeks.

Covers up to $650 FYI.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

After years of waiting for AT&T/Verizon to lay fiber for them, Sprint finally says "gently caress it", and decides to switch to microwave backhaul. That's how they'll get LTE to their remaining towers.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-sprint-cut-1b-moving-towers-government-owned-land-backhaul-microwave/2016-01-15

Also all of the cell towers are gonna be moved onto city/state property now?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

After years of waiting for AT&T/Verizon to lay fiber for them, Sprint finally says "gently caress it", and decides to switch to microwave backhaul. That's how they'll get LTE to their remaining towers.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/report-sprint-cut-1b-moving-towers-government-owned-land-backhaul-microwave/2016-01-15

Also all of the cell towers are gonna be moved onto city/state property now?

Yeah, this all looks like a disaster. They tried microwave back haul with WiMAX. Lord knows how much of the lovely experience was the frequency vs back haul, but it just sounds like an extra area where poo poo can go wrong.

And just lol on moving their towers. It could literally change coverage long term, you could have a Sprint tower near you and then they move it where it becomes to far away to work. And that's not factoring in that they are turning off towers, then moving them, so there will be coverage gaps in areas for a month or so at a time. That didn't work well for Sprint when they converted their 3G network to LTE, it's probably not a good idea to repeat.

I'm all for carrier competition, it's just amazing how badly run Sprint has been for probably 10 years now, and I really just don't think the company fixable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

There's a lot of confusion. It's a partial bill credit for phone trade in, and the rest is a visa gift card.

So if your cancellation is $300, and your phone trade in is $100, you would get $100 on the spot, $200 gift card in 8 weeks.

Covers up to $650 FYI.

Finally cut the tie, and went to Verizon. Hopefully the sales guy didn't mess up our credits incorrectly but I think all ETF's will be covered. But man is it nice to have a working cell phone at home.