Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Here's an interview with Greg Proops about his weird role

http://iwastheretoo.wolfpop.com/audio/20361/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-with-greg-proops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Are the first order guys actually nazis in their ideology though, or are they just borrowing Triumph Of The Will imagery to make them look bad?

They're literally the Fifth Reich in Argentina. Their leader is the Wizard of Oz. The new Darth Vader is Nero from ST '09.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Saw the film last night. Loved it.

It managed to recapture much of the fun of the originals, brought back the chemistry between the main leads that the prequels were so sorely lacking and made an interesting and diverse villian.

The plot itself was effectively a by-the-numbers Star Wars film, which very closely treads earlier films, but that was not necessarily a bad thing, and like others have said, lays the groundwork for taking it in new directions.

Because the internet is a place for nitpicking and complaining, here's main issues:

I hated the Death Star Mk3, or Starkiller or whatever it was called. I get that they're making callbacks to the originals, but this one was too on the nose. This is the third Death Star we've seen in four 'original trilogy character' movies.

The scene where they reveal "This is the size of the Death Star (big projection appears) - this is the size of the star killer! (stupidly huge projection appears) was painful. It felt right out of a EU novel where each author has to out do the previous one with a bigger and badder, baddest baddie. Infact, wasn't there a Kevin J Anderson novel dealing with a sun destroying something or rather? I felt the same way when not only did it destroy one planet like the original death star, but five planets because five is a bigger number!

The attack on it was pretty lazy too. It missed much of the tension or build-up of a New Hope, yet stole lots of its iconic imagery, like the trench run and 'the weak spot'. In some ways it was a good thing it didn't call too much attention to those bits, because it allowed for the real plot to focus on Finn, Rey, Solo, Kylo and Chewie onboard the Starkiller, which was handled beautifully.

Chatting with a random guy I met at the bottle-o after the film, he seemed pretty mixed about it, saying that he felt he's "seen it before". I think scenes like the above will largely push that opinion - but it didn't bother me because the real story lies in the new characters, and they have been handled in a way that captures the primary themes of the original trilogy, but are unique and different enough to be their own thing.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 19, 2015

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Han Solo's comment and tone were very on point during the hologram scene.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I liked how even Han looked surprised when he made that no look kill shot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

Han Solo's comment and tone were very on point during the hologram scene.

Related to this: I'm with Han, if you help Luke blow up a Death Star by indirectly taking out Darth loving Vader, you get to call yourself "helpful" from then on in.

(Not spoiling such a minor line)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 19, 2015

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

General Battuta posted:

I didn't like this movie very much :( The characters were incredibly charming and I loved them all, even Kylo, and the first act's really strong, but I don't think the movie's structure worked for me past the midpoint — the visit to Kanata and the perfunctory breakup/reunion of the characters throws off the pace, and the final action scenes around Starkiller Base don't really build any tension in the sky or on the ground.

This is pretty much how I felt. Not surprisingly, the impressive trailers borrowed a lot of imagery from the strong first act, which may have colored my expectations going in. Taken as a whole, the movie lacked a sense of mystique, which helps make a good space opera.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I watched a new hope prior to seeing this and all the flaws people are brining up in this movie exist in a new hope. Take that as how you will.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I watched a new hope prior to seeing this and all the flaws people are brining up in this movie exist in a new hope. Take that as how you will.

I shall.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have a lot of complaints about this movie and while I don't necessarily see it as bad, it wasn't particularly amazing either. One thing that keeps sticking with me is that it almost pathologically is afraid to let dramatic moments simmer, demanding forced comic lines as if they dont want people to see the movie as "stuffy," and the characters particularly suffer for this. Finn especially gets it the worst, where its almost like there were two scripts, one with Finn the Traumatized Child Soldier and another with Finn the Wacky 80's Black Sidekick, and which one they gave Boyega each scene was decided by coin flip.

Poe is the worst character in the movie. He has no essence to himself and only exists to galvanize Finn to action before sliding off the celluloid like a paper doll. Isaac tries, bless him, but he was given nothing to work with.

I mean, it had good elements, the cinematography and set design is fantastic and when the actors are given something to actually work with they all do really well, but the whole thing has trouble tying together and just feels like its tripping over itself.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 19, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

But you don't understand, A New Hope had ~heart~ and ~magic~!

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 19, 2015

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
It's a bit too early for me to fully commit to this but I think Rey might just be my favorite Star Wars character.

The scene where she watches a ship take off in the distance and puts on her scavenged X-Wing helmet and just sits there like a fuckin' dork really managed to hit me in a way no other SW character ever has.

I think anyone who grew up with Star Wars can relate to that kind of thing, maybe even especially if, like me, you grew up as far away from the OT release as Rey was from the OT events. The myth and the impact are there long before you experience it yourself and it makes a difference in the way you look at it all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

So it really is a retread of ANH.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The problem is, it's impossible for people to view A New Hope as a standalone film. There are 5 films that came out after A New Hope that either answer a lot of questions that were set up in A New Hope or explanations for minor tidbits about the past. And people can't really remove all that knowledge.

Many complaints either will be answered in 8 & 9 or exist in the OT that everyone conveniently gives passes to.

Oh you're shocked they built another Death Star? Like, they built a SECOND Death Star in ROTJ, clearly these are idiots ("Your overconfidence is your weakness") who don't learn their lesson, why should we be surprised that this new generation Empire repeats the mistakes of the past? That's a loving theme throughout world history, dumb idiots not learning their lesson and repeating past mistakes.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4133

quote:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has already put its stamp on the record books, kicking off its domestic release with an estimated $120.5 million Friday opening. That opening number includes a record-breaking $57 million from Thursday night "previews" and makes this the first film to gross more than $100 million in a "single" day, but the records don't stop there.
:eyepop:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The most egregious thing in ROTJ is not Death Star II but making Leia Luke's sister.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Using RotJ as a defense doesn't really work when it also gets poo poo on for doing those things, buddy.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Isometric Bacon posted:

I hated the Death Star Mk3, or Starkiller or whatever it was called. I get that they're making callbacks to the originals, but this one was too on the nose. This is the third Death Star we've seen in four 'original trilogy character' movies.

The scene where they reveal "This is the size of the Death Star (big projection appears) - this is the size of the star killer! (stupidly huge projection appears) was painful. It felt right out of a EU novel where each author has to out do the previous one with a bigger and badder, baddest baddie. Infact, wasn't there a Kevin J Anderson novel dealing with a sun destroying something or rather? I felt the same way when not only did it destroy one planet like the original death star, but five planets because five is a bigger number!

The attack on it was pretty lazy too. It missed much of the tension or build-up of a New Hope, yet stole lots of its iconic imagery, like the trench run and 'the weak spot'. In some ways it was a good thing it didn't call too much attention to those bits, because it allowed for the real plot to focus on Finn, Rey, Solo, Kylo and Chewie onboard the Starkiller, which was handled beautifully.

I think part of the thematic purpose of the starkiller base is to mirror Kylo's relationship to Vader. Kylo is superficially more powerful than Vader (mind reading, freezing the blaster shot) but is unstable and self destructive, just as the starkiller is more powerful than the deathstar but is so unstable it turns into a star if you take out a heat regulator. Just as Kylo is defeated by what should be much weaker opposition, the starkiller is destroyed by three squadrons of x wings (the rebel fleet in ANH certainly felt bigger although I can't remember the headcount). And of course the thematic link is cemented by Kylo killing Han just as the starkiller finishes charging.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

mr. stefan posted:

Finn especially gets it the worst, where its almost like there were two scripts, one with Finn the Traumatized Child Soldier and another with Finn the Wacky 80's Black Sidekick, and which one they gave Boyega each scene was decided by coin flip.

That actually bugged me. Finn just seemed too well adjusted for his background. In other words, the character does not match at all his background, which sabotages the legitimacy of the character and the supposed threat the New Order poses. I'm guessing Finn's divergence will probably be explained away as him being Force sensitive, which seemed to be foreshadowed in a couple of scenes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I dig Ep7 a lot, but the whole somebody who likes one and not the other being roasted thing going on, I don't think that really makes sense. They're not the same movie, you can't really flip it around and say ho-ho well if you don't like one you don't like the other.

For one thing, though it has clear nods to the original and borrows a lot structurally, they're still quite different. I don't need to compare them directly. If I did, Ep7 would never fill those shoes. Kylo Ren is no Darth Vader, the dialogue in this can't match a lot of the surprisingly brilliant stuff in the original, etc. But, it's a drat good entertaining fun movie that delivered the goods for me, which is a very good thing.

I'd say the movie is a win, and it's not in competition with the original Star Wars movie. It's a buddy of that movie.

And ROTJ rocks for the record. Admiral Ackbar!

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 19, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
When TFA is trying to be its own movie (like the first act, which, for all its similarities to ANH, really paints the characters as different and interesting people) it's great. But when it pays tribute to ANH it does so without much of the energy and commitment ANH had — the Starkiller attack, for example, isn't half a candle to the Death Star attack because it's just a dehydrated recap of the vital points, without the full arc of the liftoff from Yavin, the fly in, the counting off of pilots, the three increasingly tense attempts to make the trench run, and Han's return.

I'm excited to see these characters in a better movie. This movie is not a remake of ANH, and it falls flat in a lot of places ANH soars. It's a great Star Wars movie twisted up and choked by the skeleton of an old one. But when it commits to being itself, like the Finn/Rey/Kylo duel in the forest, it's really spectacular.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Even for just how fast paced and busy the movie is, it's tough to compare. This movie has it's own feel. Though I get the surface level comparisons. Personally I dig the fast pace and busyness, and stuff like just happening to have a DeathStar-ish situation happening almost in the background. Should make for a highly rewatchable flick.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

I dig Ep7 a lot, but the whole somebody who likes one and not the other being roasted thing going on, I don't think that really makes sense. They're not the same movie, you can't really flip it around and say ho-ho well if you don't like one you don't like the other.

Well yeah, this movie is better for one.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal posted:

And ROTJ rocks for the record. Admiral Ackbar!

The dude who, immediately upon engaging in combat, wants to go home.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Heavy Metal posted:

Taken from his family as a child, and put into a harsh brain-washy kind of bootcamp Stormtrooper training program thingy. Like the Academy of Law from Judge Dredd.

Or the Jedi temple

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Can we say with any certainty that the ghostly screams that start the saber vision/flashback are the younglings in the Council chamber? If so, that's a pretty nice nod to the III and Ben's exposition in IV.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Frackie Robinson posted:

Or the Jedi temple

Just like to toot a nerd horn for a moment, I find it fun that Judge Dredd pre-dates Star Wars by two months. I just like to bring up JD when I can.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Well yeah, this movie is better for one.

It's all personal taste, and that's the beauty of it, but for me this doesn't top the original, one of my tip top favs. But this movie is really great and delights me, I'm happy to say.

Speaking of the original, they've gotta clean-up and release the original theatrical versions in HD at some point right? I don't mind watching the laserdisc version, but c'mon JJ. You're our only hope.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I think part of the thematic purpose of the starkiller base is to mirror Kylo's relationship to Vader. Kylo is superficially more powerful than Vader (mind reading, freezing the blaster shot) but is unstable and self destructive, just as the starkiller is more powerful than the deathstar but is so unstable it turns into a star if you take out a heat regulator. Just as Kylo is defeated by what should be much weaker opposition, the starkiller is destroyed by three squadrons of x wings (the rebel fleet in ANH certainly felt bigger although I can't remember the headcount). And of course the thematic link is cemented by Kylo killing Han just as the starkiller finishes charging.

Speaking of Kylo Ren, something that I thought was great about his character.

We went into the trailers thinking that Kylo Ren looks like a lame third rate Vader knockoff, and it turns out that the character IS a lame, third rate Vader knockoff and it's intrinsic part of his character.

He wants to be Vader, wants it so bad. He talks to Vaders useless broken mask for guidance, has built his own third-rate lightsaber that's inefficient and not very refined. Han even calls him out for wearing his spooky mask with a fake voice modulator. "Take that mask off. You don't need it."

I disagree that he is more powerful than Vader (although we do see him use more powers) - Where Vader was calm, collected but filled with hate and anger. Kylo is a raging unhinged lunatic who struggles to focus his aggression, and is frustrated that he's not as powerful as he wants to be.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is there any info on who the other Knights of Ren are yet?

It'll be interesting to see them unveil their identities and how they play a role in the next 2 movies.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Isometric Bacon posted:

I disagree that he is more powerful than Vader (although we do see him use more powers) - Where Vader was calm, collected but filled with hate and anger. Kylo is a raging unhinged lunatic who struggles to focus his aggression, and is frustrated that he's not as powerful as he wants to be.

Yep, Vader didn't need a bunch of exotic powers because he was the best at the one that mattered- killing people.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Silver Brushes posted:

Can we say with any certainty that the ghostly screams that start the saber vision/flashback are the younglings in the Council chamber? If so, that's a pretty nice nod to the III and Ben's exposition in IV.

I saw it twice and I was listening for this to see if there was a link. It sounded REALLY similar to Rey's own "DON'T LEAVE" cries later on in that scene instead.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Isometric Bacon posted:

We went into the trailers thinking that Kylo Ren looks like a lame third rate Vader knockoff, and it turns out that the character IS a lame, third rate Vader knockoff and it's intrinsic part of his character.

He wants to be Vader, wants it so bad. He talks to Vaders useless broken mask for guidance, has built his own third-rate lightsaber that's inefficient and not very refined. Han even calls him out for wearing his spooky mask with a fake voice modulator. "Take that mask off. You don't need it."

Remember that Vader was a guy who impulsively killed subordinates who upset him. Kylo takes his anger out on lifeless objects, which is a step up. He should carry around a pillow for him to scream into - that would even better.

Klyo is not yet as powerful as Vader. Kylo's training is unfinished. This is explicitly stated by Snoke. As he is, he is already a fairly formidable opponent. He is certainly very brave. It was kinda badass as well as reckless for him to go after Rey and Finn alone when he was wounded in the gut.

There is nothing wrong with looking up to a role model. Vader is an ambitious standard and if Kylo manages to be even half as good then the galaxy should tremble.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Silver Brushes posted:

It thought it was pretty clearly Rey's own screams as she was being ditched on Jakku, since it cut right to that when the flashback started and it sounded the same. At no point did I ever get the idea that it was younglings.

Saw it yesterday after lunch and loved it. Still kind of processing, and most of my thoughts have been echoed here already, but I do want to say that I remember after the first trailer dropped I said how pumped I was to see some low-atmosphere starfighter combat for the first time in Star Wars, and boy was I happy with what we got :haw:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I always took Vader killing his subordinates as teaching them a lesson on the consequences of poor performance, or in a New Hope schooling the disbelievers of the power of the force.

Kurzon posted:

Kylo's training is unfinished. This is explicitly stated by Snoke.

on this part I really like the idea that we will be seeing an inverse Luke in this new trilogy, as Rey will presumably be training and becoming stronger at being a Jedi, so will Kylo. Luke having to confront Vader to progress his training echoes Kylo facing Han.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Kylo is a well done villain from a director who had movies I liked but with weak villains i.e. Nero from star trek 9

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Finally saw it last night. This is either the second or third best Star Wars movie (behind Empire for sure but I'm starting to think I might like it better than A New Hope as well).

I can't say enough good things about Rey. Rey is a fantastic character. I like Finn a lot as well and Kylo works very well as a villain for me, so if the series is going to be using these fine folks to carry the load the rest of the way through this new trilogy, then I'm on board.

Starkiller base is the weakest part of the film (I think they could have come up with something else...it's just a little too on the nose), but the assault on it is largely treated as secondary in the film itself, so it didn't bother me as much as it might have.

I knew it was coming, but Han's death got me anyway. Really felt it. Godspeed you magnificent son of a bitch.

Saving Luke until the last moments was an excellent move, in my opinion. That moment where Rey reaches the saber out to him all but pleading with him to take it and help stop the chaos that's going on and Hamill's excellent facial acting of simultaneous regret/trepidation/resignation/nostalgia just really got to me. Really looking forward to the relationship he develops with Rey in the next film.

As for the music, I had heard it a few days ago when the soundtrack leaked and loved it then, now having heard it with the film, I love it even more. It's vintage Williams. It's better than any of his work on the Prequels, bar none, by far. Rey's theme alone is a masterpiece.

Great movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Luigi Thirty posted:

There was also a line where someone complained to the general that they would have gotten the droid back if he used clone troopers instead of his preferred child soldiers.

Lol, that someone is Kylo Ren.

Also, is there a goon consensus on whether or not Finn is Force sensitive? Speculative of course, but I hope it's true because then we'd get a potential Jedi Knight with great comedic timing and personality, and that is a loving awesome prospect seeing as how most Jedi we've known up until this point were stoic, brooding, and enigmatic.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 19, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, for as much as some of the detractors have complained about 'heart and soul,' this movie certainly seems to have a lot of that. I mean, hell, the biggest theme of the movie I've parsed from it is the power and value of empathy and compassion - it's fundamental to all three of the new main characters and to the emotional climax of the movie (Han reaching out to Ben on the bridge).

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

Also, is there a goon consensus on whether or not Finn is Force sensitive? Speculative of course, but I hope it's true because then we'd get a potential Jedi Knight with great comedic timing and personality, and that is a loving awesome prospect seeing as how most Jedi we've known up until this point were stoic, brooding, and enigmatic.

Yeah, I did feel that Finn got shafted (lol) in the end, what with all the marketing all but saying "HEY NEW PADAWAN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

teagone posted:

I hope that Finn isn't, but I also hope that he isn't Lando's son or something silly so that the galaxy seems at least a little bigger.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 19, 2015

• Locked thread