Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

There is no version of "respect other people" that doesn't send goons into a sputtering fit of deflection and rules lawyering. You guys don't get it because you don't want to. It's very easy when you do.

People will feel disrespected even if you do respect them. People will feel insecure and frightened and alone, even in the best culture you can create, because they're one of seven billion loving people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Confirmed: bad sushi is racist
http://oberlinreview.org/9055/news/cds-appropriates-asian-dishes-students-say/

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jazu posted:

People will feel disrespected even if you do respect them. People will feel insecure and frightened and alone, even in the best culture you can create, because they're one of seven billion loving people.

This is why there's nothing wrong with spitting on people. They'd just feel insulted no matter what.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

quote:

Prudence Hiu-Ying, a College sophomore from China, cited an instance when Stevenson was serving General Tso’s chicken, but the product did not resemble the popular Chinese dish.

Except it's not a traditional Chinese dish at all.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

falcon2424 posted:

But then the real injunction is "Don't culturally appropriate in cases where ..."

That's why I suggested religious symbols and practices as a line to not cross. Ironically, that would include yoga. It would be better to just change the word 'yoga' to 'asanas', so people aren't using a religious term for their exercises, but I'm guessing it's too late for that.

As for the examples Obdicut brings up, I would personally call them 'employment discrimination' problems. Yes, it was bad that record executives would push Elvis or Bill Halley over black musicians, but the problem there was not black musicians getting offended by white imitators adopting a part of their culture, it was a problem of not getting the same reward for the same talent. (Like how the producers of a 70's show called Kung Fu turned down Bruce Lee for the lead role in favor of David Carradine because audiences apparently were not ready for a Chinese guy to play a Chinese guy who does kung fu.)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Phyzzle posted:

That's why I suggested religious symbols and practices as a line to not cross. Ironically, that would include yoga. It would be better to just change the word 'yoga' to 'asanas', so people aren't using a religious term for their exercises, but I'm guessing it's too late for that.

As for the examples Obdicut brings up, I would personally call them 'employment discrimination' problems. Yes, it was bad that record executives would push Elvis or Bill Halley over black musicians, but the problem there was not black musicians getting offended by white imitators adopting a part of their culture, it was a problem of not getting the same reward for the same talent. (Like how the producers of a 70's show called Kung Fu turned down Bruce Lee for the lead role in favor of David Carradine because audiences apparently were not ready for a Chinese guy to play a Chinese guy who does kung fu.)

Categorizing it as "getting offended" is disgusting in and of itself, but are you aware that it wasn't a matter of getting recorded (otherwise we wouldn't have Leadbelly or Muddy Waters or Fats Domino or Howlin' Wolf records) it was a matter of how the songs were treated- how white bands received the lion's share of the marketing, how black songs became acceptable once a white band covered them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The dude at Sun who literally made Elvis' career chose him solely on the fact he wanted a white man who had the "Negro sound and the Negro feel" so he could make a million dollars.

It's pretty hard to characterize it as anything but what it was when even the guy responsible for it straight out said that's what it was.

Sulphuric Asshole
Apr 25, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Except it's not a traditional Chinese dish at all.

There is a good documentary on Netflix about General Tsos. It was invented in Taiwan by a chef that fled from the Hunan region of China, and the Taiwanese version would more closely resemble traditional Hunan style dishes. Chinese business people in the US then adapted it to western palettes.

Sulphuric Asshole fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 19, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oberlin students are whiny morons, news at 11.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

quote:

a culturally appropriative sustenance system
Nice.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Effectronica posted:

Categorizing it as "getting offended" is disgusting in and of itself,
Categorizing what as "getting offended"? I said the problem with the behavior of the music industry was not someone getting offended.

Effectronica posted:

but are you aware that it wasn't a matter of getting recorded (otherwise we wouldn't have Leadbelly or Muddy Waters or Fats Domino or Howlin' Wolf records) it was a matter of how the songs were treated- how white bands received the lion's share of the marketing, how black songs became acceptable once a white band covered them.
Yes, of course. Indeed this is why I didn't mention "getting recorded" as a problem.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
"White musicians profiting off-of covers of black musicians' songs to specifically bar black musicians from success" is an injustice. "White musicians profiting from original songs inspired by black musical traditions when black musicians are less successful" is unfortunate, but I don't see how it would be wrongdoing on the white musicians' part.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hexmage-SA posted:

"White musicians profiting off-of covers of black musicians' songs to specifically bar black musicians from success" is an injustice. "White musicians profiting from original songs inspired by black musical traditions when black musicians are less successful" is unfortunate, but I don't see how it would be wrongdoing on the white musicians' part.

Something something cultural appropriation.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sulphuric rear end in a top hat posted:

There is a good documentary on Netflix about General Tsos. It was invented in Taiwan by a chef that fled from the Hunan region of China, and the Taiwanese version would more closely resemble traditional Hunan style dishes. Chinese business people in the US then adapted it to western palettes.

My understanding of the history of the dish (from Fuschia Dunlop) is that it was a modern Taiwanese dish invented by a Hunanese chef for the express purpose of appealing to palate of visiting western businessmen and dignitaries.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Reasonable people can disagree about what sorts of things constitute cultural appropriation. But if we are at the point of classifying food as cultural appropriation, the idea has obviously been taken too far. What is the action item here?

White people should only eat white food? The main effect of that would be to take business from non-white restaurant proprietors. (This also applies to saying white people shouldn't ever have henna - "Yeah, take that, immigrant henna artists trying to make a living off their art! You want to expand your customer base? Go back to Pakistan!")

White people should not be allowed to cook and sell "foods of color"? That's flat-out illegal employment discrimination.

School cafeterias should stop serving terrible versions of otherwise good food? Good luck with that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jimbozig posted:

Reasonable people can disagree about what sorts of things constitute cultural appropriation. But if we are at the point of classifying food as cultural appropriation, the idea has obviously been taken too far. What is the action item here?

White people should only eat white food? The main effect of that would be to take business from non-white restaurant proprietors. (This also applies to saying white people shouldn't ever have henna - "Yeah, take that, immigrant henna artists trying to make a living off their art! You want to expand your customer base? Go back to Pakistan!")

White people should not be allowed to cook and sell "foods of color"? That's flat-out illegal employment discrimination.

School cafeterias should stop serving terrible versions of otherwise good food? Good luck with that.

Yes incessantly harping on pc gone mad cultural appropriation being "taken too far" makes you one of the Reasonable People.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's not incessantly harping, it's critical thinking. It's important to test the boundaries of any idea to clearly establish whether it is coherent, consistent and complete. This is how you test anything (eg- utilitarianism), you find where it performs worst and why (utility monster). If it doesn't match what you think is right, then you know that there is still something wrong.

Effectronica posted:

Yo, rudatron, you shouldn't declare that the problem is sanctimoniousness and hypocrisy and then act sanctimonious yourself. Because, you see, it justifies me ignoring any points you occasion yourself to make, by your own beliefs.
No, you're normal too. You're the one talking about others being 'gripped with insanity'. If you don't want to continue the conversation, be honest about why, there's no need to invent reasons.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I think the concept of cultural appropriation has many problems. It's not very useful from an analytical standpoint, there's no clear way to distinguish appropriation from harmless acculturation. Much like Whiteness, the boundaries of appropriation are vague, arbitrary, and largely contingent on the popular understanding of any particular issue. Because the meaning is so vague it is easily and often misused, and there's no clear way to distinguish serious important cases from the non-serious.

It's not very useful rhetorically, because it isn't immediately clear what the significance of appropriation is, and nobody should have to constantly explain their terms in an argument. I guess it comes from a leftist effort to create a coherent description of various processes that effect minority and marginalized communities. I don't think the the concept has really succeed at that purpose, instead the term seems to be way to show solidarity with specific causes, and demonstrate ones's own immersion in a particular activist culture.

I remain unconvinced white artists getting paid more to produce the same kind of music as black artists is the same process and deserves the same label as stereotypical Indians getting used as mascots, or a cafeteria selling lousy sushi, or Irish Americans using cartoonish symbols of Irish identity. These issues, when they deserve a coordinated response at all, are better addressed using particular arguments.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hexmage-SA posted:

Okay. How do you plan to rectify this misfortune? How do you stop this from happening without burning down the music industry and slaughtering record company executives on live TV, or white musicians, and listeners, actively avoiding taking part in this process? And when you look at this process, you see it repeated all across society! At some point, you either have to do what righties do and declare it good and celebrate the extermination of Native Americanness, or decide to restrict your own behavior.

rudatron posted:

It's not incessantly harping, it's critical thinking. It's important to test the boundaries of any idea to clearly establish whether it is coherent, consistent and complete. This is how you test anything (eg- utilitarianism), you find where it performs worst and why (utility monster). If it doesn't match what you think is right, then you know that there is still something wrong.

No, you're normal too. You're the one talking about others being 'gripped with insanity'. If you don't want to continue the conversation, be honest about why, there's no need to invent reasons.

Rudatron, being unable to comprehend a simple English sentence, as you have demonstrated with this post, means that you are too stupid, dishonest, or jackassy to have a conversation with.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Worthless nerds are terrified of change and have staked their entire sense of self-worth on being Smart, and as everyone knows being Smart means you've maxed out your knowledge tree and have nothing else you could possibly learn. Therefore, when new ideas appear, it is necessary to build a cage of rules around them to certify both that you don't need to change and that no one is allowed to criticize you for not changing. Anyone who claims to understand something you don't is a fraud who's only out to trick you. Don't fall for it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So how many of you complaining about cultural appropriation gone mad actually bothered to read the article? Because the complaint isn't "They're using my culture's food!", it's actually the exact opposite: A Vietnamese kid saw a staple from his cuisine on the menu, decided to order it, then it turns out it wasn't actually what he expected it to be, or even anything approaching that, which was a major disappointment.

Many other kids from other backgrounds also expressed similar disappointment when it turns out pulled pork and coleslaw isn't actually a Chinese recipe etc.

It's a stupid choice of words but then again students are stupid - that's why they're still students.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Can everybody itt please chill the fukc out. This thread would be a lot more pleasant if we could all stop calling each other worthless and stupid and actually talk to one another.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Squalid posted:

Can everybody itt please chill the fukc out. This thread would be a lot more pleasant if we could all stop calling each other worthless and stupid and actually talk to one another.

Real life is not like a videogame, and you don't have to expend 50 Anger Points to use your "Cussing" ability.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone is valuable, and the hostility to the term is that it's not useful.
It's fair enough to talk about how students lack, uh, wisdom, I guess, but then what is that wisdom? Why is the choice of words stupid, if it on the face matches the correct usage? If you have to already understand a set of unexplained, implicit rules to determine whether or not it is being correctly applied, then that means there's still a problem in the way it's being thought about. One option is that the concept is itself bad, and it's the use of that wisdom that papers over the faults - the rule you're actually acting on is not the one you actually believe. Of course that's just one option, but that's my interpretation.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Squalid posted:

It's not very useful rhetorically, because it isn't immediately clear what the significance of appropriation is, and nobody should have to constantly explain their terms in an argument. I guess it comes from a leftist effort to create a coherent description of various processes that effect minority and marginalized communities. I don't think the the concept has really succeed at that purpose, instead the term seems to be way to show solidarity with specific causes, and demonstrate ones's own immersion in a particular activist culture.

I think this ambiguity is what makes the term so appealing to the people who use it.

Conservatives use the same trick when they rant about "Criminals". That's a term that covers everything from murder, to arson, to jaywalking.

What makes "Appropriation" different is that don't have the language to talk about trivial cultural-offenses. If anything, this makes "appropriation" more useful as rhetoric (and infinitely less useful for analysis).

An attack that went, "Hillary Clinton is a CRIMINAL!" / "Oh? What did she do?" / "She crossed the street OUTSIDE OF A CROSSWALK!" would come off as petty. And rightfully so.

An attack that went, "Miley Cyrus is a RACIST!" / "Oh? What did she do?" / "She APPROPRIATED TWERKING," is weird, or at least novel enough of an accusation that people don't seem sure if they can dismiss it as stupid, out of hand.

This gives a significant tool to people who want to position themselves as cultural critics. They get to level serious-sounding accusations, and when called on it, retreat to a position that's not technically a lie.

I think this is also why discussion about the stupid, obviously trivial examples generates so much white-noise and chaff. Acknowledging that 'appropriation' can refer to Japanese people eating hamburgers gives the trick away, just as much as acknowledging that 'criminal' can refer to jaywalkers. So we get nonsense-defenses like, "Why are you so obsessed with those edge-cases?"

falcon2424 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 20, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

falcon2424 posted:

I think this ambiguity is what makes the term so appealing to the people who use it.

Conservatives use the same trick when they rant about "Criminals". That's a term that covers everything from murder, to arson, to jaywalking.

What makes "Appropriation" different is that don't have the language to talk about trivial cultural-offenses. If anything, this makes "appropriation" more useful as rhetoric (and infinitely less useful for analysis).

An attack that went, "Hillary Clinton is a CRIMINAL!" / "Oh? What did she do?" / "She crossed the street OUTSIDE OF A CROSSWALK!" would come off as petty. And rightfully so.

An attack that went, "Miley Cyrus is a RACIST!" / "Oh? What did she do?" / "She APPROPRIATED TWERKING," is weird, or at least novel enough of an accusation that people don't seem sure if they can dismiss it as stupid, out of hand.

This gives a significant tool to people who want to position themselves as cultural critics. They get to level serious-sounding accusations, and when called on it, retreat to a position that's not technically a lie.

I think this is also why discussion about the stupid, obviously trivial edge-cases generates so much white-noise and chaff. Acknowledging that 'appropriation' can refer to Japanese people eating hamburgers gives the trick away, just as much as acknowledging that 'criminal' can refer to jaywalkers. So we get nonsense-defenses like, "Why are you so obsessed with those edge-cases?"

I think it's sad that you're suffering from undiagnosed Paranoid Personality Disorder, and also that none of the goobers who scream and stamp their feet will point out how you're attributing conspiratorial motivations to anyone, anywhere, who expresses sentiments along the lines of "cultural appropriation is real".

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Yes incessantly harping on pc gone mad cultural appropriation being "taken too far" makes you one of the Reasonable People.

Huh? Me incessant? I think you must be mistaking me for someone else.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Rudatron, being unable to comprehend a simple English sentence, as you have demonstrated with this post, means that you are too stupid, dishonest, or jackassy to have a conversation with.

Effectronica posted:

Actually, I think that most people are completely sincere when they make that accusation. Probably it's because you use "accusations of prejudice and malice" tactically that you assume other people do so.

Effectronica posted:

I'm sorry. I can only reply to the actual words you said, which were that accusations of maliciousness, or racism, are generally tactical in nature. This, to put it simply, is paranoia.

Effectronica posted:

I think it's sad that you're suffering from undiagnosed Paranoid Personality Disorder, and also that none of the goobers who scream and stamp their feet will point out how you're attributing conspiratorial motivations to anyone, anywhere, who expresses sentiments along the lines of "cultural appropriation is real".

Sorry you're sad, and that everyone's paranoid and against you. :(

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I'd also like to say that while I think the way the term is used is often nonsensical the grievances are usually legitimate. For example the Washington Post article I posted described the sorts of identity problems that have long troubled the children of immigrants. Not sure what that means about bad cafeteria food though

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I saw ex US virtua on champ and forum user Darko posting about the whole black hair thing and wanted to give my thoughts on it.
I've had past experiences as a child that put me in possession of many cats. All of these cats had fairly unique fur types,
some had nice silky smooth fur, some felt really dry. one cat in particular felt like a cheap car seat.
My family all complimented the smooth furred cats and playfully mocked the car seat cat.
All of the people who we had by similarly expressed a dislike for car cat and I can't blame them.
Who would want to rub a car seat?

Another point is that western society seems to prefer less hair.
I don't know how this could be if what is causing the hair preference is white supremacy, since whites have some of the hairiest ethnicities on the planet.
Even beyond that, going back to when Europeans first came in contact with Native Americans,
the Europeans would often comment on the natural beauty the natives had, noting their less hairy bodies.

Maybe the weird hair preferences our society has has something to do with weird side effects of greater personal domestication.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ddraig posted:

So how many of you complaining about cultural appropriation gone mad actually bothered to read the article? Because the complaint isn't "They're using my culture's food!", it's actually the exact opposite: A Vietnamese kid saw a staple from his cuisine on the menu, decided to order it, then it turns out it wasn't actually what he expected it to be, or even anything approaching that, which was a major disappointment.
The more appropriate word to use would be cultural denigration; creating awful parodies of treasured parts of another culture and presenting them as authentic. To get around the issue, the dishes should be renamed to Americanized (Traditional food), or (Traditional food) inspired dish. This would help people from that culture by not getting their hopes up, and stop the mockery of foreign culture through the culinary arts. American dishes could be likewise be sold as cafeterianized dishes, if the student body felt that the dishes diverged too far from what they understood them to be.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squalid posted:

I'd also like to say that while I think the way the term is used is often nonsensical the grievances are usually legitimate. For example the Washington Post article I posted described the sorts of identity problems that have long troubled the children of immigrants. Not sure what that means about bad cafeteria food though

No matter what the term was you guys would be complaining about the term. You people complain about every term used to describe every grievance a marginalized group has. It's your first line of defense.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

No matter what the term was you guys would be complaining about the term. You people complain about every term used to describe every grievance a marginalized group has. It's your first line of defense.

No, if the complaint was simply that the dishes were a horrible affront to cuisine, I'd be in complete agreement. Using a term that implies a degree of racism is when I get off the train. It's not racist to be bad at cooking. Is putting beans in chilli 'reverse racism' in your mind?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Bitching about how someone prepares your chicken is absolutely not a legitimate grievance.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Would it be okay to complain if they got beef instead of chicken? Theoretically speaking.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The more appropriate word to use would be cultural denigration; creating awful parodies of treasured parts of another culture and presenting them as authentic. To get around the issue, the dishes should be renamed to Americanized (Traditional food), or (Traditional food) inspired dish. This would help people from that culture by not getting their hopes up, and stop the mockery of foreign culture through the culinary arts. American dishes could be likewise be sold as cafeterianized dishes, if the student body felt that the dishes diverged too far from what they understood them to be.
That's an onerous requirement for a marginal concern. If that's valid, then I don't see why every single thing on the Dominoes menu shouldn't have (Waste Of Money) placed in front of it - it would work just as well in preventing people getting their hopes up.

Squalid posted:

Well the emotions are certainly real. If you want everyone to be self-actualized and happy, then you can't just dismiss it. But you can't take the grievance at face value if it doesn't make sense, you've got to find the psychological root.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can't make everyone happy all the time, or even most of the time. I'd go so far as to say that the kind of people who immediately think racism is the cause of their school lunch entree being kind of lovely shouldn't have anyone going out of the way to cater to their delusional paranoia.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Again, the article doesn't actually claim that it's racist or even use the word racism, racist or any variation thereof.

Here's the summary for those who can't be bothered to read it:

Cafeteria claims to have dishes that are from the culture the kids are a part of. They think this is neat, so decide to order it.

They order it, turns out it's not actually that dish, it's some weird hosed up version.

They speak to other kids who have had similar lovely experiences. They tell their school, the school says it doesn't mean any offence by it. School then sets up something so these students can discuss the lovely food and hopefully get better food.

It's very much a non-story, presumably why it's only been picked up in the student newspaper and is not, say, the topic of the Daily Show.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It's such a weird thing to keep going back and harping on cultural appropriation, and in this case, it is the company preparing something completely different and trying to pass it off as a traditional Vietnamese dish.

I don't think that is something crazy to be upset about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Again, the article doesn't actually claim that it's racist or even use the word racism, racist or any variation thereof.

I was under the impression that the phrase 'cultural appropriation' did fall under the broad umbrella of racism. And they definitely called it appropriation.

Should we protest the fact that pizza in Hong Kong is weeeird? I actually love the fact that pizza changes from one place to another. Chicago, Naples, Hong Kong, and everywhere else all have their own variations on pizza and they are all interesting and good in their own way.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 20, 2015

• Locked thread