Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

That explains why R2-D2 woke up when he did, his long lost son came home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
oscar isaac is a god drat delight

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I figured Rey was just copying what Kylo Ren was doing : wiggling her brain around and requesting things until her target listens or gets dangerous.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

spaceships posted:

oscar isaac is a god drat delight

Agreed. If you haven't already, go watch Show Me A Hero, in which he's amazing as a lead.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Just got out of the movie. Pretty decent overall, but I didn't like Rey because she felt really boring and just seems to be an expert at everything ever. I'd have rather had Finn and Poe hang out the entire movie and just get rid of her in general. Maybe she'll get better in the next film, but I really didn't care for her in this one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I figured I could walk up and get tickets to see Force Awakens for the second time today, but they were sold out for another two+ hours and I couldn't wait that long. Learned my lesson, online ticket orders only for the first week or so of the movie's release.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

thathonkey posted:

i'm on the edge of my seat waiting to find out why C3PO has a red arm. did i miss something or was that just random as gently caress? i know he mentions having it but of course doesn't explain why

Cynical poster here. Pretty sure it's just to sell / differentiate new toys.

Think about it, you've got almost 40 years of C3PO toys out there. Why buy a new one?

...But it's a got a new arm!

Similar (but not as blatant) with Poe's black X-wing, Phasma's armour and many other similar set pieces that differentiate them from other ones in the same movie.

On the other hand, maybe it was just to distract the fact that Anthony Daniels is (understandably!) a bit chunkier than he was in the 1970's.

Am I the only one that thought his voice sounded a bit off? Almost like they were slightly pitching it up? Weirdly so, since Anthony Daniels has been doing C3PO's voice in plenty of videogames and other Star Wars media and it's always sounded fine.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My roommate claims he saw a toy that was a spoiler for future movies. He said it was a double blades light saber staff for Rey. I think he probably just saw an obvious photoshop. Anyone see what he was flaming about?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is Phasma an established character or something? She seems really popular here but I've never heard of it before but I've only ever seen the movies and played KotOR 1. I'm going to guess she was the storm trooper officer with special armor even though her name was never mentioned as far as I remember.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Zeris posted:

Still wanna know how Rey speaks wookie,

How Han & Leia know about Snoke and what the original relationship between them must have been,

What great magical thing Finn will eventually sacrifice himself to prevent (this is so thematically hinted at-- you know it has to happen in VIII)

Few pages back, but Leia is actively in a military conflict with the FO so it's reasonable she might know who their leader is.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I think the current consensus is that Rey is the daughter of Luke, right?

Anyone want to place odds on her mother (I'm guessing she's the one who left Rey on Jakku) being important later?

I'm also kind of willing to place outside odds on her turning out to be Mara Jade (to appease the EU fanboys).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

The twist in movie 8 will be the shocking reveal that Lando is Finn's father.

We'll learn this when Finn wakes up and immediately asks for a Colt 45.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Megasabin posted:

My roommate claims he saw a toy that was a spoiler for future movies. He said it was a double blades light saber staff for Rey. I think he probably just saw an obvious photoshop. Anyone see what he was flaming about?

I'm fairly certain I saw a blue double bladed saber in some random ad. I want to say it might not have been for Star Wars merchandise. I thought it was really weird before seeing the movie but now it makes sense for the next one.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is Phasma an established character or something? She seems really popular here but I've never heard of it before but I've only ever seen the movies and played KotOR 1. I'm going to guess she was the storm trooper officer with special armor even though her name was never mentioned as far as I remember.

The character was revealed really early, so she was hyped up a little. They refer to her by name at least once in the movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pook Good Mook posted:

Kit Fisto.
Dexter Jettster
loving Sleaze Baggano

That's just off the top of my head.

(Sheev)

None of these are ever spoken out loud in the movies

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I'm fairly certain I saw a blue double bladed saber in some random ad. I want to say it might not have been for Star Wars merchandise. I thought it was really weird before seeing the movie but now it makes sense for the next one.

It doesn't seem like much of a spoiler.

I mean she obviously already has the two weapon fighting feats for her staff, it'd be a major waste to spend feats on the dueling tree as well. :v:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

gohmak posted:

Chewy: How are we going to get out of this?
Han: Same way I always get us out of these situations
Chewy: Shoot first?
Han: Talk my way out of it.
Chewy: no you don't
Han: Every single time!

Best interaction of all 7 movies.

*Falcon literally crashing through the trees*

Han: "They'll see us if we go any higher!"

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

-Dethstryk- posted:

I'm still digesting a lot of the movie, but Finn in the beginning has the force awaken in him when he makes that "light side RPG decision" to not murder the townspeople, right? That's why Ren notices him.

I thought that was sort of neat to have as one of the first things in the movie, since one of the last things in the previous was Luke making a dark sided decision to strike at the Emperor to kill him.

I thought Kylo was just sensitive to the emotions of everyone around him, and was able to detect a storm trooper (otherwise very dull) going through a crisis. He could have also just noticed him standing there PTSD style while he was walking by. That's why he later knew immediately which storm trooper had defected when Plasma says "they had help from one of our own".

along the way posted:

This makes me wonder if we'll see anymore force-sensitive characters outside of the Skywalker/Solo lineage. It's mentioned that Ren was responsible for sabotaging Luke's attempt to train a new generation of Jedi, which I'm guessing means he killed a bunch of them.

I think he also corrupted a bunch of them, hence the Knights of Ren? Unless that just refers to the silver storm trooper elites.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zero One posted:

*Falcon literally crashing through the trees*

Han: "They'll see us if we go any higher!"

Well I mean he is an elderly driver. I was surprised the Falcons left blinker wasn't on at all times.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Also I think I heard a small child cry in the theater when Han Solo died. Poor little guy :(

Zenro7
Dec 19, 2015

by Cowcaster
All baggage aside I had a lot of fun watching this movie and want to see it again.

Late night reserved seating is the best and there was some Dolby sound system that drowned out everything.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Also I think I heard a small child cry in the theater when Han Solo died. Poor little guy :(

Better than a 28 year old man child that definitely wasn't me that welled up at the opening crawl

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

SunAndSpring posted:

Saw the film with my 7 year old nephew, and he told me before going in that there was a part that was 'hard to watch' (obviously kids at the schoolyard had spoiled the moment for him, he hadn't seen it prior).

Right when Han went on the bridge with Kylo, he leans over and whispers "this is the part that's hard to watch."

It was pretty funny way for him to inadvertently spoil it without realising. Not that we hadn't already assumed it was going to happen as the scene was largely telegraphed. (Plus some fuckwit in the Battlefront thread thought it would be the height of hilarity to spoil it.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Luke never speaks in the movie at all, right? That line where he does speak in one of the (maybe the first?) line about 'I have it, my sister has it, and you have it too' is not in the movie?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

KakerMix posted:

Luke never speaks in the movie at all, right? That line where he does speak in one of the (maybe the first?) line about 'I have it, my sister has it, and you have it too' is not in the movie?

Yep, and that voice clip in the trailer is from Return of the Jedi oddly enough.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Saw the film with my 7 year old nephew, and he told me before going in that there was a part that was 'hard to watch' (obviously kids at the schoolyard had spoiled the moment for him, he hadn't seen it prior).

Right when Han went on the bridge with Kylo, he leans over and whispers "this is the part that's hard to watch."

It was pretty funny way for him to inadvertently spoil it without realising. Not that we hadn't already assumed it was going to happen as the scene was largely telegraphed. (Plus some fuckwit in the Battlefront thread thought it would be the height of hilarity to spoil it.)

cute story. yeah the scene was telegraphed to hell and back. but it was really well done. i almost teared up a little.one thing i will give the movie is it made me feel something. it had a heart and it made me feel emotions. unlike the prequels. the audience reacted. their were audible "no"s and while the scene was happening you could hear a pin drop.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay first off, really like the film. Like a whole lot. Like it's fourth in the series for me, and that's not a BAD thing. At all.

However I have a few issues. The first one is that it very much felt like a rushed film. Not in a bad way. Just, you can feel JJ was feeling the pressure to get it done on a crazy timetable.

This becomes clear in several places... For instance, the beginning. You just had an open crawl that was awesome... And then you have two characters telling us that this is the map to Skywalker? Really? Just have them exchange the thing, and no explanation. We get it. They also explain what it is later on anyway.

Also... Carey Fisher. I'm sorry but everything between her and Han minus the final hug felt weak. Also, we don't need to know Kilo is the son for sure until the walkway scene. We would have guessed, but it would have played better.

Finally light Saber battle, fantastic. Same with all the battles in general. However... Instead of R2 randomly waking up at the end, why not have the other part of the map be something Ray found when she was trying to escape? It wouldn't have felt so convenient.

Also, soundtrack was WEAK. Ray's theme, great. Lightsaber grab, great music cue. I needed more of those.

Okay, and last one. End the drat film as Ray and Chewie are going to light speed. You end it with her and Luke just staring at each other? Really? We don't need that.

Now, all that being said, I"m going to see it again today and see if a second viewing helps calm any of my... notes about it. Still think it's a great film though.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

I'm late to this thread so maybe this has already been discussed, but I wish they would have developed Finn more in the beginning of the movie. It's not so much that he wanted to defect from the First Order after the First Battle, but his decision seemed so sudden. We got little more back story from him than that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LionArcher posted:

Okay, and last one. End the drat film as Ray and Chewie are going to light speed. You end it with her and Luke just staring at each other? Really? We don't need that.

Now, all that being said, I"m going to see it again today and see if a second viewing helps calm any of my... notes about it. Still think it's a great film though.

i didnt mind that as much. I personally think luke should have said something,.but i would rather have them meet and the end the movie. then they can just start training in the next one. not another "lets find luke" quest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wronkos posted:

I'm late to this thread so maybe this has already been discussed, but I wish they would have developed Finn more in the beginning of the movie. It's not so much that he wanted to defect from the First Order after the First Battle, but his decision seemed so sudden. We got little more back story from him than that.

That's sort of the point... He's got no development, he was taken as a kid and raised to be a Stormtrooper. Then, during his first battle he realizes he doesn't have it in him and runs.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She not only successfully used Force telekinesis to grab the lightsabre once Finn drops it at the final fight, Kylo Ren was also trying to used Force Pull on the lightsabre at the same time and she outmuscled him. And he's a guy who can use Force Pull to freeze a blaster bolt in mid air.

Not really, remember she was standing almost directly behind him and he didn't know that she was there. It's a classical physics problem of combined directional forces. Ren was pulling the lightsaber strongly towards himself without realizing she was behind him. He provided all the horizontal force to move the lightsaber, all she had do was apply a little force to the moving lightsaber to redirect it slightly upwards and make it overshoot Ren and come to her. Which is a pretty good analogy of the two really: he has lots of power but is a dipshit about how he uses it, she's just awakening to her power but uses it cleverly.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Ok so I saw the movie last night and I liked it but had some issues with various parts of it as well. As the above poster, I definitely got the rushed sense. Everything just seemed way TOO convenient. I get that it's supposed to be coincidences leading these folks to get together and destroy the new empire but literally every part of the movie was super convenient to the point of disbelief.

I also thought people became buddies way too quick and I didn't really buy their relationships due to that. Lastly, the ultra mega huge Death Star was a really awful idea and probably my least favorite part of the movie. Wish they had a more interesting/original mega-issue to deal with besides ANOTHER Death Star. Oh yea, and Kylo Ren sucked and got beaten way too easily by both someone that wasn't a Jedi at all and someone that JUST discovered their power.

Despite these issues the movie was a lot of fun and had some great action scenes. I'd give it a solid B just because it was still an enjoyable experience and I do want to see it again regardless of some of the issues I had with it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

SunAndSpring posted:

My kid took it like a champ. His least favorite (aka scariest) part was with the tentacle monsters when they first meet Han.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

So, did Captain Phasma die with Starkiller Base, or did she somehow escape? That's what I want to know more then anything in the sequel.

She's a named character and you didn't see her die, so odds are she'll be showing up again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

raditts posted:

She's a named character and you didn't see her die, so odds are she'll be showing up again.

none of the baddies really died in this movie. Hux is still alive, alot of the officers booked it, ben/kylo is still kicking. just lots of stormtroopers and tie fighters.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Also, soundtrack was WEAK. Ray's theme, great. Lightsaber grab, great music cue. I needed more of those.

Obviously opinions and subjectivity with regards to music/art and whatnot, but you are wrong as hell on this :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KakerMix posted:

I think this is safe. For one, the characters and the actors that played them showed emotion, and the lightsaber fight between Finn and Kylo and then Rey was 'real', there was more than one layer to their performances and they killed Han Solo. It is impossible for Force Awakens to warp into some 'I knew it was bad the whole time :smuggo:' thing that happened with the prequels.

Is this really a thing that happened? SA wasn't around then but pretty much everyone I knew at the time thought Phantom Menace was pretty bad. SA was the first time I remember anyone arguing it as anything beyond "passable."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not sure what else JJ could have done to help people understand how severely injured Kylo Ren was in that final battle. Let me count the ways:

1) There's basically an hour of buildup about how Chewie's bowcaster is boss as gently caress. It literally is so powerful that it it hits Stormtroopers and throws them backwards several feet. This is the weapon that struck Ren right after Han's death.

2) There's a super obvious panning to Ren's feet where we see blood in the snow.

3) At one point when fighting Finn, he sort of walks around for a second in the same way you'd "walk it off" if you twisted your ankle or stubbed your toe.

Short of Kylo Ren saying "Oh no, my powers are diminished to 50% due to my gaping side wound" I'm not sure how obvious it could be.

Despite ALL THAT, he whoops Finn's rear end, nearly killing him and has Rey on the run until she literally has nowhere else to run. Rey only dominates the last minute of the fight, after Kylo Ren tips his hand, telling Rey flat out that it's the Force that she's using and probably also allowing her to feel his fear and uncertainty.

By the end of the fight, he's been hit 4 times by a lightsaber and once by a bowcaster.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When is Lumpy going to make an appearance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, the First Order troopers seem much more dangerous than their OT counterparts. I never got the impression that FO Troopers were inept or cannon fodder.
Even Finn, a recently promoted janitor who choked during his first mission, has enough training with melee weapons to wield a lightsaber somewhat competently (even if he's understandably useless against a force user).

My first thought at the beginning of the movie when the Stormtroopers raided the village was "wow, they've really improved the training for those guys in the last 30 years"

• Locked thread