Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cpt. Murphey posted:

I've had the same thing happen to me quite frequently while landing on planetary outposts.

Maybe it has something to do with the landing pads clipping into the ground, which then makes the game think you crashed into the ground once you're released. I have no evidence to back that up, but I landed at a planetary outpost last night where the landing pad was partially sunken into the terrain, so that the landing pad and opening into the hanger had weird glitched-out snowy ground poo poo on top of it. I didn't flip wildly off the landing pad when i left, but maybe it's connected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Before I sell a ship do I need to trade in the things like power supply, FSD, etc for the smallest availableto get most of my money back, or does that only matter for internals?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ciaphas posted:

Before I sell a ship do I need to trade in the things like power supply, FSD, etc for the smallest availableto get most of my money back, or does that only matter for internals?

You lose 10% on any outfitting parts still on the ship. Personally, in the interest of time I only sell/trade in expensive stuff; multimillion credit components, not 50,000CR C2 guns and such.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Has anyone worked out an ideal fit for the Asp Explorer now that landings are in? I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to sacrifice to address:

-Thrusters to handle high G planetary landings
-Buggy Bay(s)?
-Cargo for things found on the planets

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

cheesetriangles posted:

Oh god I have gone full sperg.

500 dollar joystick, pedals, track ir, multiple monitors for keeping elite websites open. There is no hope.

You're missing the Buttkicker.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shine posted:

You lose 10% on any outfitting parts still on the ship. Personally, in the interest of time I only sell/trade in expensive stuff; multimillion credit components, not 50,000CR C2 guns and such.

Thanks muchly. Got the Adder and a B FSD with 300k to spare (I'd be down to 10k with the A rank) and D rank everything else for jump distance.

As for the rare trades to make money, wasn't there a map or a route finder available somewhere?

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I took my cobra and srv to a planet in 63 G (3? It has a small single outpost and 0.5 gravity) last night, found some rocks, shot them, and then couldn't pick them up. I just opened my SRV's cargo scoop and drove over them - is there something else I need to do first?

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks muchly. Got the Adder and a B FSD with 300k to spare (I'd be down to 10k with the A rank) and D rank everything else for jump distance.

As for the rare trades to make money, wasn't there a map or a route finder available somewhere?

There's one in the OP of this thread. I ran it a few times recently and apart from one or two stations not selling the amounts the chart stated it worked really well.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

IrvingWashington posted:

I took my cobra and srv to a planet in 63 G (3? It has a small single outpost and 0.5 gravity) last night, found some rocks, shot them, and then couldn't pick them up. I just opened my SRV's cargo scoop and drove over them - is there something else I need to do first?

You have to target the individual bits to scoop them.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

IrvingWashington posted:

You have to target the rock chunks in order to scoop, or else you'll just roll right over them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

KakerMix posted:

You're missing the Buttkicker.

Bass shakers are nice, though racing sims have kind spoiled me. All the popular racing sims output telemetry data that can be used by programs like Sim Commander to make bass shakers respond only to specific things in the game instead of going off bass. For example, you can have your shaker respond directly to the revs of your engine, the "thunk" of shifting gears, or driving over bumps, regardless of how bassy those things sound in-game. That also lets you filter out things that shouldn't really shake your car even though they emit bass, such as another car crashing, tones from the pit menu, or music.

It'd be handy in Elite because there are some cases where you'd like to feel a big shake, such as when shooting cannons or manipulating your throttle, but the game sound isn't always bassy enough to really trigger it. Then you have things like passing through mail slots that make it go nuts because the sound is super bassy.

Still though, bass shakers are great.

Arrath posted:

You have to target the individual bits to scoop them.

This is annoying as hell when you have like 5 rocks to scoop and can't just roll over them all at once.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I was tooling around in LTT 15574 with a friend earlier. Bought a new Viper MKIV to try it out, C-fit it, and hit a hazres to test it. There were three players in there besides us, all in Vultures. a minute or so later one of them messages me with 'wrong system mate' and opens fire, with his friends joining in. Naturally I bugged the gently caress out.

Trip report:
A Viper mk4, while slower than the mk3, will still outrun a Vulture with some effort.
It will, also, absorb a surprising amount of punishment - I had C4C standard shields and milspec armor and got off with about 80% hull. Probably didn't hurt that I was jinking and chaffing like mad and they likely were using gimbals.
The game also crashed just as I finished my jump out, so we might see a salty post on reddit/brown sea.

Also, if you're in the area, keep an eye out for these mongoloids - they seem to have claimed the area, or are trying to. Three Vultures in a wing, leader was named little_watto, lil_watto or something like that. At least I assume he was the leader since he engaged first.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Drake_263 posted:

So I was tooling around in LTT 15574 with a friend earlier. Bought a new Viper MKIV to try it out, C-fit it, and hit a hazres to test it. There were three players in there besides us, all in Vultures. a minute or so later one of them messages me with 'wrong system mate' and opens fire, with his friends joining in. Naturally I bugged the gently caress out.

Trip report:
A Viper mk4, while slower than the mk3, will still outrun a Vulture with some effort.
It will, also, absorb a surprising amount of punishment - I had C4C standard shields and milspec armor and got off with about 80% hull. Probably didn't hurt that I was jinking and chaffing like mad and they likely were using gimbals.
The game also crashed just as I finished my jump out, so we might see a salty post on reddit/brown sea.

Also, if you're in the area, keep an eye out for these mongoloids - they seem to have claimed the area, or are trying to. Three Vultures in a wing, leader was named little_watto, lil_watto or something like that. At least I assume he was the leader since he engaged first.

gently caress it, brother we're gonna scramble a hit squad for you.

Wait, actually, that's deep in Hudson turf. Are you a powerplayer per chance?

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 19, 2015

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Cpt. Murphey posted:

I've had the same thing happen to me quite frequently while landing on planetary outposts.

Not just planets, I had this happen in a station the other day. Is it just me as well, but is the docking computer a bit janky since horizons? It gives no fucks about hitting the landing pad hard enough to register damage on the Shields - which I suppose doesn't matter now they recharge fast when docked - but it also seems to get stuck 'in queue' outside stations a lot when no other ships are doing anything.

Also came out of sc a few days ago practically inside skvortsov station, and whanged off a few exterior walls before I could do anything. Was like landing in a running tumble dryer.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

gently caress it, brother we're gonna scramble a hit squad for you.

Wait, actually, that's deep in Hudson turf. Are you a powerplayer per chance?

I pledged to Aisling back when that was a Goon Thing to do. That said I don't usually hunt there - it's right next to the newbie systems and a friend of a friend just started the game so I decided to pootle over there.

Kind of disappointed I wasn't flying my Python, the Lady Hel has a mean right hook and C3 chin plasma accelerator.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Got any other names perhaps?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I could get in on an eviction notice :getin:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Reposting from earlier. What is a good starter ship for learning combat in the game? I'm looking to learn to do some stuff in the game other than trading constantly.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

cheesetriangles posted:

Reposting from earlier. What is a good starter ship for learning combat in the game? I'm looking to learn to do some stuff in the game other than trading constantly.

What's your budget?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cheesetriangles posted:

A good ship in general that's cheap, manueravable, and good in combat is the Eagle. You can get one decently kitted out in fairly short order after starting a new game. Unless you have several million then i'd say a Cobra or a Vulture.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
So let's say my ship is destroyed while I'm landed at a (hostile) base whole doing a mission because I was too goddamn stupid and landed in the middle of it thinking I'd destroyed all the defense platforms and two came active right after I deployed the SRV and hosed my ship up.

If there are no other ports on the planet, am I boned whether I complete the mission or not? This is one of those data retrieval missions. Not sure if it comes with a piece of cargo once I complete it or not, but since it's safe to assume I'm well and truly hosed if it involves cargo, let's say not.

Secondly, is there a way to complete the mission without self destructing, and as a corollary, if I self destruct will I fail it even if I complete the objective first?

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I'm not entirely sure I understand it all myself.

Edit: okay took a gamble and figured it out myself. Completed objective and self destructed the SRV. Re buy ship and respawned where I expected to and mission was still active waiting to be turned in. :cool:

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 19, 2015

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

What's your budget?

I have about 3m right now but I'm also trying to save up for a Type 7.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

cheesetriangles posted:

I have about 3m right now but I'm also trying to save up for a Type 7.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper/23A3A3A2D3A3D2C1b1b1i1i000040302725.AwRj4yyA.Aw1+kA==

This Viper is a dedicated combat platform that is under 2.3M and pretty decent. You can replace one chaff with a KWS if you want to RES and don't have a partner.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_eagle/23A3A3A1D2A2D2C0s0p0p00B427252j.AwRj4jiA.AwhMIyKA?bn=Suicide%20Sled

This ImpEagle is similarly priced, faster, a bit flimsier. I put the power-costingest weapons on it and it's got a ton of power left over, you can also use a 3A shield on it if you're into that but it will cost dangerously too much for your insurance margin IMO.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/eagle/22A3A3A1D2A2D2C1818180040272l25.AwRj4yg=.Aw1-EA==

This classic Eagle is flimsier still, and slower, but your first introduction to the "Descent" style flight model that other combat classics like the Diamondback Scout, Vulture, and Fer-de-Lance use. It's also your best "budget" option. It is also a suicide sled tho.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a trick to understanding where the docking port is on those giant cube stations? I see there are some arrows, but i can't figure out how to read it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Dongattack posted:

Is there a trick to understanding where the docking port is on those giant cube stations? I see there are some arrows, but i can't figure out how to read it.

Once you have landing permissions, the arrows are on all the large facing things, pointing at the docking port. The model rotates based on your alignment with it in space. So basically, pretend the model is the thing you're looking at, and fly in the direction the arrow points.

Furthermore, if it helps, like 95% of stations have their mouths pointed towards the planet they orbit. Approaching from planetside will have you facing the slot most of the time. If not, fly past the station towards the planet and turn around.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Paramemetic posted:

Once you have landing permissions, the arrows are on all the large facing things, pointing at the docking port. The model rotates based on your alignment with it in space. So basically, pretend the model is the thing you're looking at, and fly in the direction the arrow points.

Furthermore, if it helps, like 95% of stations have their mouths pointed towards the planet they orbit. Approaching from planetside will have you facing the slot most of the time. If not, fly past the station towards the planet and turn around.

I see, cheers.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Am I missing something completely or is there really no cash incentive whatsoever to surface exploration in the middle of bum gently caress nowhere and doing the whole "go where no one has gone before" thing beyond the random metals you can just as easily get a few light years from your starting system smack in the middle of the bubble?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Groggy nard posted:

Welp all this Explorer posting and my recent demotion means that I should finally stop thinking about flying out my Gold Plated Autism Explorer and actually bring out my Gold Plated Autism Explorer.

The extra AFM is in case my first AFM breaks, the cargo is because Black Holes Are Thirsty. I know because the last time I saw them they told me so. If I find any salvagable escape pods I might even have an audience/more offerings to the gods of entropy.
If you don't mind keeping your fuel tanks low most of the time, you can do some hilarious exploring builds with an Anaconda.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So how is the Asp Scout? It looks cool but is it actually worth it as a babbies first explorer?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Flipswitch posted:

So how is the Asp Scout? It looks cool but is it actually worth it as a babbies first explorer?

It's like a DBE, but with better internals. Honestly it's my new favorite ship.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK space trucking can be pretty drat relaxing. What early ship should I be gunning for if I want to be a full time space trucker?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Dongattack posted:

It's also always on the side rotating around the pole anticlockwise, if that helps.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The slot is always on the planet side of a station too. Usually not directly facing the planet though, but at an angle.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So what has changed for people without the expansion? I logged in for the first time in weeks, and I saw that I had a new orbital flight module thing installed, so I thought "oh maybe I can actually go to planetary stations with just the base game" but after spending like 45 minutes watching a tutorial and trying to figure out the orbital glide, I'm guessing you can't do that? Then why the hell is that module even in my game? Although I was able to supercruise down to like 500 kms from the base, so I kinda wonder what would happen if I just waited the half hour or so it would take to fly down at normal speed

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So stupid question:

I bought Horizons through steam. I also of course have the vanilla game through Steam as well, but I do not have either installed. Do I have to install and download both or just Horizons?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

slidebite posted:

So stupid question:

I bought Horizons through steam. I also of course have the vanilla game through Steam as well, but I do not have either installed. Do I have to install and download both or just Horizons?

Just Horizons.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

It's like a DBE, but with better internals. Honestly it's my new favorite ship.
Ooh sweet, I wasn't really a fan of the DBE but I did like the Scout. I'll have to check it out, cheers dude.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

OK space trucking can be pretty drat relaxing. What early ship should I be gunning for if I want to be a full time space trucker?

Probably Hauler/Adder -> Cobra Mk3 -> Lakon Type-6 -> Imperial Cutter (Clipper? I can't even remember now, the smaller one).

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Probably Hauler/Adder -> Cobra Mk3 -> Lakon Type-6 -> Imperial Cutter (Clipper? I can't even remember now, the smaller one).

I went Type 6 -> Type 7 -> Type 9 -> Killed myself and my parents, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Clipper is the small one, yeah. Though keep in mind that the Clipper can't land on outposts because it's a large hull. The Python and (I think) the Type-7 are the biggest traders that are still considered medium hulls.

• Locked thread