Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah but there wasn't a super awkward scene where Revan takes her into his arms and lays her slowly onto a bed as their models clip through each other and the screen fades to black.

there's a mod for that :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

420 Gank Mid posted:

Yeah but there wasn't a super awkward scene where Revan takes her into his arms and lays her slowly onto a bed as their models clip through each other and the screen fades to black.

Keep going I'm almost there.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

Keep going I'm almost there.

imagine 4 low poly bras on the edge of a cliff

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I made the mistake of engaging some ubernerds (I'm not at their power level of nerd yet :( ) about Snoke being plague is cuz now they're bringing up all this poo poo from the background. "Psychometry" is a thing now cuz I guess it was popular in the Harry Potter series. It was in the dark disciple book apparently.

And drat they really can't wrap their heads around plague is just being a lie told to Anakin instead of some EU character with a biography.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chill la Chill posted:

I made the mistake of engaging some ubernerds (I'm not at their power level of nerd yet :( ) about Snoke being plague is cuz now they're bringing up all this poo poo from the background. "Psychometry" is a thing now cuz I guess it was popular in the Harry Potter series. It was in the dark disciple book apparently.

And drat they really can't wrap their heads around plague is just being a lie told to Anakin instead of some EU character with a biography.

because in the old canon he was a real person. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis/Legends
he has a book about him and the origin of palpatine. its actually pretty good and explains the dumb "grand plan of the sith"

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Speaking of nerds being unable to understand lies, the Kessel Run is apparently back in canon instead of being a blatant lie to con some backwater rubes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Proposition Joe posted:

Speaking of nerds being unable to understand lies, the Kessel Run is apparently back in canon instead of being a blatant lie to con some backwater rubes.

well that sucks oh well

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Proposition Joe posted:

Han and Chewie were skirting a black hole! That takes skill, dammit!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Proposition Joe posted:

I wanted to believe this was just a funny joke poking fun of it. :ohdear:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am now being chastised because I am wrong and black holes explains it and *faaaaarts*

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

There's also Hobbit beer for sale at the Hobbiton attraction in New Zealand.

Otisburg posted:

Ugh spergs making GBS threads on TFA for not digressing into a wookieepedia article of exposition about such and such macuffin got where it was or how such and such tech works/is implausible.

Focusing on poo poo like this got us midiclorians rather than good characters and a strong emotional core to the story in the PT.

Ehh, a little more exposition about a couple of things would have been nice. My only real complaint with that was that the planets that got destroyed seemed to be random. It's supposed to be similar to ANH when Alderaan got destroyed, but the difference there is that Alderaan was firmly established as a main character's home.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm ok with just writing off the parsecs line as a script error. The "Han was lying to the rubes" explanation is dumb because using a unit of measurement that doesn't apply is a really dumb lie when he could have said a lie that would actually make sense.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

The movie got the feeling right, but the story fell flat for me. Reaction to the "big event" seemed kind of lacking to me.

Seemed somewhat rushed to me.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tender Bender posted:

I'm ok with just writing off the parsecs line as a script error. The "Han was lying to the rubes" explanation is dumb because using a unit of measurement that doesn't apply is a really dumb lie when he could have said a lie that would actually make sense.

nah boldface lie is cooler and fits the 'shoot first' character better. if he said something believeable the audience would have no way to know its a lie.

not that many know that a parsec doesn't make perfect sense, but enough did for the retcon

edit: also cooler when his piece of junk actually is fast like woah we lucked out, thought this fraud got us killed

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
i went on the imdb for the new stars wars movie for reviews and people on the boards sure seem salty about the black fella being black

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Molothecat posted:

jjabrams dot txt

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Let's get to the real meaty question of the movie: how does the mechanism that picks up BB8 and sits him comfortably in the X wing slot work?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Chill la Chill posted:

Let's get to the real meaty question of the movie: how does the mechanism that picks up BB8 and sits him comfortably in the X wing slot work?

Holy gently caress was I wondering the same thing. The only thing I could imagine is that the hole he's picked up through and the hole he protrudes from aren't in alignment, so there's a horizontal element to it.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Tender Bender posted:

It was called a lie in the screenplay actually.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-A-New-Hope.html

quote:

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with
obvious misinformation.

If only all the nerds complaining about Han Solo's character when it comes to shooting Greedo had noticed this, but I guess a famous spice smuggling operation based on an asteroid in the middle of a field of black holes makes more sense.

Trevor Hale posted:

Holy gently caress was I wondering the same thing. The only thing I could imagine is that the hole he's picked up through and the hole he protrudes from aren't in alignment, so there's a horizontal element to it.

I assume that the thing that picks the droid up lets go and another mechanism brings it up to the top after the bottom of the ship closes. Same thing happened with R2D2 in the OT and PT so the answer is probably in some Star Wars Visual Dictionary somewhere.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 20, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:goonsay: it only counts if it was onscreen

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its actually a popular meme around smugglers, Ben was rolling his eyes that Han used such an obvious meme.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

mr.capps posted:

Its actually a popular meme around smugglers, Ben was rolling his eyes that Han used such an obvious meme.

still a better explanation than the actual eu

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Molothecat posted:

The movie got the feeling right, but the story fell flat for me. Reaction to the "big event" seemed kind of lacking to me.

First half of the movie was great. Second half was "get all your poo poo in guys we gotta pack this up". seriously, Han dying was treated like any random character dying. Chewbacca should not be smiling and ready for a new adventure 15 mins after his life debt best friend for life is murdered. Leia should not be misty eyed but accepting. This wasn't a Spike Spiegel death where everyone knew he was rushing off to his doom.

New bigger Death Star thing was totally pointless and gimmicky in a Kevin j Anderson way.

Kylo Ren also has to be the worst sith ever. He's badass for the first half and then (after his mask comes off and he's an emo prequels-style goober)almost gets his poo poo kicked in by a dude with no force powers and a girl who is totally untrained in using the force, I'm assuming because he was injured. It reminded me of darksaber or whatever it was where Luke is a huge injured wiener the whole time. How are we supposed to take this guy seriously now?

All that said I thought the movie was pretty good overall, just with some sudden jarring moments out of nowhere piling on at the end. New characters are likable, and they nailed the feel which is the hardest and most important part. I'm looking forward to the next thousand or whatever Disney pumps out

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheIllestVillain posted:

i went on the imdb for the new stars wars movie for reviews and people on the boards sure seem salty about the black fella being black

He's the best and most likeable new character in the film. Hans still the best character overall though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Carrie Fisher was awkward and weird as Leia though and her scenes with Han were not good, and not because of Ford

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Aesop Poprock posted:

Kylo Ren also has to be the worst sith ever. He's badass for the first half and then (after his mask comes off and he's an emo prequels-style goober)almost gets his poo poo kicked in by a dude with no force powers and a girl who is totally untrained in using the force, I'm assuming because he was injured. It reminded me of darksaber or whatever it was where Luke is a huge injured wiener the whole time. How are we supposed to take this guy seriously now?

I thought that was the point. He's this badass sith lord reminiscent of Vader, even down to the altered voice, who gets the poo poo beat out of him as soon as he faces anyone with even a modicum of force talent. Basically a guy who walks around with his chest puffed out talking about how he's trained in six different martial arts who gets the poo poo beaten out of him in a bar fight. I took the fight between him and the lady jedi to mean that she was naturally talented enough that as soon as she let herself give in to the force, she was much more powerful than he was even with her lack of training whereas he was a bitch with a scary mask.

Him fighting Finn? That part is kind of odd. It's clear stormtroopers are trained in swordplay based on the scene where a random trooper whips out some kind of lightning staff but still. At least he beat Finn.

tl;dr I think he was intended to be seen as pathetic and not taken seriously at all.

Proposition Joe posted:

I never understood why people had a problem how this idea worked. A parsec is a unit of distance. He flew closer to a black hole than most people were willing, thus he traveled less distance which is a brave thing to do. Of course, it almost seems like a negative claim since he's basically admitting to endangering whatever cargo he's carrying.

edit: this is a lot of black

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 20, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

dog buttz posted:

I never understood why people had a problem how this idea worked. A parsec is a unit of distance. He flew closer to a black hole than most people were willing, thus he traveled less distance which is a brave thing to do. Of course, it almost seems like a negative claim since he's basically admitting to endangering whatever cargo he's carrying.
This isn't part of the new movie so no need for spoiler quotes. It's an obvious misapplication or misunderstanding of physics terms. The EU existing to use mental gymnastics to explain it instead of the more intuitive explanation is why we're in this thread laughing about EU and the lovely people that love it (except for the one or two actually good books of course :3:) in the first place.

Consider this: there is probably a dissertation deconstructing the lie Luke says to Han about Leia's net worth at the time of his white lie. Maybe it was a lie, maybe not, Luke didn't know. He was just going off a hunch cuz she's a princess but he did it cuz he needed Han to keep going with them.

Also consider: there would probably be a wookieepedia page or EU novel analyzing Old Ben's words about Anakin killing his father if the movie hadn't make it explicit that he turned and had to lie to Luke to start his journey.

poo poo like this is why we have the Darth plagues novel and why lovely nerds who need every scrap explained to them don't realize that Palpatine was making poo poo up to convince Luke. Like, idk, the same way the serpent convinces Eve. Poetry, it rhymes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TheIllestVillain posted:

his reaction to those idiot weirdos is great though.

“I am grounded in who I am, and I am a confident Black man,” he said. “A confident, Nigerian, Black, chocolate man…To get into a serious dialogue with people who judge a person based on the melanin in their skin? They’re stupid, and I’m not going to lose sleep over people.”

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Trevor Hale posted:

:henget:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tarkin actually smells says EU writer

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Why didn't Wilrow Hood show up :spergin:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

But kenobi saying Vader killed Luke's father isn't really a lie - even though the basic plot might have changed between new hope and empire, it works as a pretty good metaphor of what happened. Vader did kill Anakin, extinguishing the light from him, a metaphorical death. No mental gymnastics required, I always thought that was what it meant anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

lenoon posted:

But kenobi saying Vader killed Luke's father isn't really a lie - even though the basic plot might have changed between new hope and empire, it works as a pretty good metaphor of what happened. Vader did kill Anakin, extinguishing the light from him, a metaphorical death. No mental gymnastics required, I always thought that was what it meant anyway.

Right. I'm just saying if the movie hadn't included the big reveal (though it was central to the plot so no way), there would've been an EU novel written. We would get a background story of this Jedi named Anakin and his adventures and his tragic, untimely death in the hands of darth Vader, leader of the separatist army, during the clone wars - at his prime. His widow would weep and Luke would swear revenge. Luke wouldn't know his mom having been raised an orphan so he would find her and Oedipus shenanigans would go down.

E: VVV lol right before I edited. Now you look to be approving of the incest plot. :getin:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 20, 2015

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Oh yeah absolutely. Would have probably made for better prequels

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dog buttz posted:

I thought that was the point. He's this badass sith lord reminiscent of Vader, even down to the altered voice, who gets the poo poo beat out of him as soon as he faces anyone with even a modicum of force talent. Basically a guy who walks around with his chest puffed out talking about how he's trained in six different martial arts who gets the poo poo beaten out of him in a bar fight. I took the fight between him and the lady jedi to mean that she was naturally talented enough that as soon as she let herself give in to the force, she was much more powerful than he was even with her lack of training whereas he was a bitch with a scary mask.

Him fighting Finn? That part is kind of odd. It's clear stormtroopers are trained in swordplay based on the scene where a random trooper whips out some kind of lightning staff but still. At least he beat Finn.

tl;dr I think he was intended to be seen as pathetic and not taken seriously at all.

I mean I guess, but it kind of robbed the movie of any sense of having a true antagonist by the end of it. Sith apprentice gets his poo poo kicked in and looks emo and ineffective, cowardly imperial ginger gets his DEATH STAR BUT BIGGER AND STRONGER blown up in the exact same way as the second Death Star with way less ships, dark lord Gollum looks like a chump for letting idiot children run his operations. Nobody seeming to be overly affected by Hans death definitely didn't help Ren either.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Otisburg posted:

the melanin in their skin

biotruths

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA movie rules. Some odd reactions to things but it had the perfect mixture of camp and action. Really surprised at how well it turned out.

Main complaint: Why did Leia hug Ren? She never met the girl.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they were hugging each other in consolation because han was killed.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

TK-42-1 posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA movie rules. Some odd reactions to things but it had the perfect mixture of camp and action. Really surprised at how well it turned out.

Main complaint: Why did Leia hug Ren? She never met the girl.

Just saw the new movie, loved it.

Leia needed to hug someone and Rey needed a hug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Decorus posted:

Just saw the new movie, loved it.

Leia needed to hug someone and Rey needed a hug.

Yeah, but Leia had never met the girl and Rey had no idea who that was. It just seemed kind of odd. In the back of my mind I'm wondering if Leia was who left her behind on Jakku or something, but I hope it's not.

• Locked thread