Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zoran posted:

Agreed, except for Phasma, who not only gets chumped but also acts way out of character in her last scene.

She's appeared in one movie. A character acting differently than you expected in a later scene based on impressions you received from an earlier scene, that's not being out-of-character, that's character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

hhhat posted:

I think I need to give the soundtrack a listen before I see the movie again, because this was my one thing. I didn't really pick out any solid themes and I've seen it twice, it felt like for some reason they didn't just stop and say HEY NEW SONG every once in a while like every other movie. JW's work on the Prequels is one of the few bright spots (Doug Chiang is the other) so I was really looking forward to this. I'm glad to hear you think it's hot, so I will give it another go and see if I can soak it in.

It's not a theme heavy score. It's much more like Williams' later work (prequels notwithstanding), more subtle and complex, less "repeated melodic theme"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't figure out what they are going to do with Kylo's character. The Dude Who Killed Han Solo isn't getting a redemptive arc, and since he started at ineffectual villain, it'll just add to the comedy when he inevitably comes back and gets himself punked again as Rey and potentially Finn get better at their force abilities.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I can't figure out what they are going to do with Kylo's character. The Dude Who Killed Han Solo isn't getting a redemptive arc, and since he started at ineffectual villain, it'll just add to the comedy when he inevitably comes back and gets himself punked again as Rey and potentially Finn get better at their force abilities.

So certain are you.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

The line "You have that power too" is in that same scene from Jedi, they just rearranged it for the teaser.

yyyyeah ok point still stands that it's either there to throw us wildly off on purpose or to suggest something exactly on the nose either way. The order is important... I should stop though, I'm repeating myself.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

hhhat posted:

yyyyeah ok point still stands that it's either there to throw us wildly off on purpose or to suggest something exactly on the nose either way. The order is important... I should stop though, I'm repeating myself.

Its to drive speculation. Who does the line refer to? What does it mean? Turns out Rey has that power too., but it doesn't play out exactly as a lot of people would suspect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Saturday's numbers aren't in yet and their total for Friday is only an estimate but the film has already made a quarter billion dollars worldwide.
:captainpop:

MisterBibs posted:

I can only guess that in the middle movie the First Order gains the upper hand and kicks everyone's rear end, just like the Empire did in TESB. Kylo will probably level up and become a more effective villain in order to make all that happen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I can only guess that in the middle movie the First Order gains the upper hand and kicks everyone's rear end, just like the Empire did in TESB. Kylo will probably level up and become a more effective villain in order to make all that happen.

Yeah, right at the end of this one, Snoke says he wants to finish training Kylo. He's going to get some manner of more control over his rage powers or something

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Snoke looks like the same species as the Inquisitor from Rebels with the retarded lightsaber.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hiddenriverninja posted:

Snoke looks like the same species as the Inquisitor from Rebels with the retarded lightsaber.

1) Please don't use an abelist slur to describe a lightsaber (or anything, really)
2) Snoke looks like a Pau'an? I'm not seeing it at all. He's bald with a narrowish face, but there's no sharp teeth or vertical line/corduroy skin furrows.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

jivjov posted:

1) Please don't use an abelist slur to describe a lightsaber (or anything, really)
2) Snoke looks like a Pau'an? I'm not seeing it at all. He's bald with a narrowish face, but there's no sharp teeth or vertical line/corduroy skin furrows.

Retard

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Operant posted:

I've rarely seen a movie in which the actual plot is so rushed, unoriginal, and weirdly lacking in stakes that is carried entirely by the new characters being really, really good. I god drat loved everything about the new cast, even Kylo Ren, who I thought I would hate.
I completely agree with this take, which is why it's like a solid C or C- for me. Decent entertainment, not a BAD movie obviously. The characters (noooot always the acting tho) and second half carried a lot of weaknesses for me. I just wish they hadn't felt the need to repeat so much of the plot structure and beats, can't we have a story in this universe with these characters and their struggles and relationships but just not have it be another attack on an even bigger Death Star???
I really liked Adam Driver by the end though and I kind of wished he was in a better Star Wars movie? Maybe that'll be the second one.
Wow how exotic, Luke went to like...Ireland. staaaaaar waaaaaars. Man that was some poor face acting :lol:
Basically my main take away as I left the films was you're free, Harrison Ford, you're finally free of this poo poo! I was so happy for the guy. You're finally free! RUN! Carrie Fisher and Mark don't have anything better to do anyway! Quick! Quick find Alec Guinness, he's a member of the Star Wars Resistance and will hide-wait nevermind RIP :(

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 20, 2015

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Hey! That's our word. Only we can say it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Again, ableist slurs are really not necessary.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Obama 2012 posted:

Oh, and some of the expository dialog was kind of terrible. When Snoke tells Ren 'the map to Skywalker is onboard the Millennium Falcon, in the possession of your father, Han Solo' I half expected him to turn to the audience and add, 'Because he's his SON, see. Did everybody get that!?

Wanted to come back to this one for a second. That line would have been so much better if it had been restructured as "in the possession of Han Solo.....your father". Communicates the same thing, doesn't sound nearly as awkward.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

To each their own but this movie meant to be seen on the biggest and loudest screen possible with as many people as possible.

I'd much rather see it someplace with comfortable seats and no camping in line for hours, than to support the proliferation of LieMAX (which is what 99% of the TFA 'IMAX' showings were).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought the movie was way too fast. Half the plot beats were all "remember this from the other movies?" and then it just skipped right past them because oh, it's just like that thing from the other movie. I didn't like the Starkiller Base sequence at all because of that but when it did get to breathe such as Rey on Jakku or the lightsaber fight sequence it was fantastic and I thought we learned more about Kylo, Finn, and Rey through that than anything else in the movie. It felt like a JJ Abrams movie, which I wouldn't say is bad, but I don't know how well it suited the first of the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I can't figure out what they're going to do with Vader's character. The Dude Who Killed Obi Wan isn't getting a redemptive arc.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ImpAtom posted:

I can't figure out what they're going to do with Vader's character. The Dude Who Killed Obi Wan isn't getting a redemptive arc.

Eeeeeeh. We've only known Obi-Wan for 75 minutes at that point. The audience is much more connected to Han, plus Kenobi and Anakin aren't related.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Eeeeeeh. We've only known Obi-Wan for 75 minutes at that point.

You're meant to be able to watch the three trilogies in any order.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cudrRJ-bWe0

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Operant posted:

I've rarely seen a movie in which the actual plot is so rushed, unoriginal, and weirdly lacking in stakes that is carried entirely by the new characters being really, really good. I god drat loved everything about the new cast, even Kylo Ren, who I thought I would hate.

so like a new hope then

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
PEWBARRAMAMM

WOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

PEWPEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

fun movie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Eeeeeeh. We've only known Obi-Wan for 75 minutes at that point. The audience is much more connected to Han, plus Kenobi and Anakin aren't related.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is a character you know either for a vast majority of the runtime or from the three prequel movies depending. Regardless he is absolutely someone you're supposed to be connected to.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

jivjov posted:

Wanted to come back to this one for a second. That line would have been so much better if it had been restructured as "in the possession of Han Solo.....your father". Communicates the same thing, doesn't sound nearly as awkward.

I was thinking "...on the Millenium Falcon, in the possession of your father" would have been sufficient. I mean, we KNOW who's on the Falcon already, who else could it be? The black guy who's Kylo's same age? The robot? Chewbacca!? This isn't that hard people!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Vader's redemption has felt a hair...off to me since episode III came out. This guy murdered a roomful of children, and attacked his pregnant wife, and then there's the OT and the implied stuff from "he helped hunt down and destroy the Jedi".

It's just kind of a "thing" in Star Wars that you can redeem yourself and come back to being a good guy...but the fact that Vader's still pays for his crimes with his life is the only thing that keeps it believable for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Vader's redemption has felt a hair...off to me since episode III came out. This guy murdered a roomful of children, and attacked his pregnant wife, and then there's the OT and the implied stuff from "he helped hunt down and destroy the Jedi".

It's just kind of a "thing" in Star Wars that you can redeem yourself and come back to being a good guy...but the fact that Vader's still pays for his crimes with his life is the only thing that keeps it believable for me.

So in your mind the only choice is for someone to remain evil forever or die. That is incredibly lovely.

It's also lovely that it took you until Episode III in that case when he helps murder literally a planet in the movie he debuts in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Obama 2012 posted:

I was thinking "...on the Millenium Falcon, in the possession of your father" would have been sufficient. I mean, we KNOW who's on the Falcon already, who else could it be? The black guy who's Kylo's same age? The robot? Chewbacca!? This isn't that hard people!

I'd agree, but it harkens back to Vader and the Emperor's conversation in Empire. There's a whole lot of "the son of Anakin skywalker" being said directly to Anakin Skywalker.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

So in your mind the only choice is for someone to remain evil forever or die. That is incredibly lovely.

It's also lovely that it took you until Episode III in that case when he helps murder literally a planet in the movie he debuts in.

I'm not saying that the choice is "remain evil or die", I'm saying that there are consequences for evil, and Vader's crimes were extensive. He did a good thing, killing Sheev and saving Luke. But that doesn't fix 99% of the other things he did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm not saying that the choice is "remain evil or die", I'm saying that there are consequences for evil, and Vader's crimes were extensive. He did a good thing, killing Sheev and saving Luke. But that doesn't fix 99% of the other things he did.

You said it's only believable because he died paying for his crimes.

Han Solo is an illegal drug smuggler who is implied to do pretty terrible things. In the new film he casually talks about how he got an entire crew killed capturing deadly animals to sell while simultaneously scamming two criminal organizations out of money. I guess we should be glad he died because he's a callous greedy killer..

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not afraid of a toddler with a loaded gun. I'm afraid for the toddler with a loaded gun. Because toddlers are toddlers. They don't do things right as a matter of fact.

You've proved you're an idiot in a lot of posts in the last couple days but this is just perfect.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

You said it's only believable because he died paying for his crimes.

Han Solo is an illegal drug smuggler who is implied to pretty terrible things. In the new film he casually talks about how he got an entire crew killed capturing deadly animals to sell while simultaneously scamming two criminal organizations out of money. I guess we should be glad he died because he's a callous greedy killer..

Yeah but the people Han killed were at least combatants of one kind or another. A room full of toddlers and other younglings are not.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

You've proved you're an idiot in a lot of posts in the last couple days but this is just perfect.

The only way to be an idiot is to think Kylo Ren is threatening at any point in this movie.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

When Kylo Ren uses the Force to stop that blaster bolt it actually hangs there until the scene ends. I thought that was a neat little detail.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah but the people Han killed were at least combatants of one kind or another. A room full of toddlers and other younglings are not.

The fact that you consider that more meaningful than literally murdering a planet is kind of hosed up.

MisterBibs posted:

The only way to be an idiot is to think Kylo Ren is threatening at any point in this movie.

Kylo Ren is absolutely threatening. He, in fact, kills quite a few people. Someone who is wild, prone to lashing out and capable of great violence is in fact arguably more threatening than someone who is in-control because you do not know when he will lash out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Kylo Ben is INCREDIBLY threatening and scary in VII. He's unpredictable. He cut down Sydow mid-conversation, has force powers virtually unheard of thus far, he goes on berserk temper tantrums with a weapon that could pierce the outer hull of a ship, and kills his own father.

With Vader, you were safe unless you screwed up. He doesn't kill the messenger. The man who reported the shield going up on Hoth was fine. Vader got on the comm and killed Ozzel. With Kylo, who knows what the hell he's gonna do to you.

He's got some issues. Parental issues, possible mental issues. and he's taking instruction from Snoke, and who knows what his deal is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that you consider that more meaningful than literally murdering a planet is kind of hosed up.

Vader didn't push the switch or even give the order. That one is primarily on Tarkin. I mean; yeah, he is affiliated with the organization that blasted Alderaan, but for Vader personally that's not as relevant.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
No one really seems to know who Max von Sydow's character is, so what are the odds on him being a character we also see in Rogue One?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OldSenileGuy posted:

No one really seems to know who Max von Sydow's character is, so what are the odds on him being a character we also see in Rogue One?

You at least get his name in the novelization. It's Lor San Tekka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

MisterBibs does not feel threatened by a toddler with a loaded gun, everybody. That's the context for his post here. Only a real big strong man who uses his lightsaber like a strong man would is scary to MisterBibs, or to anyone, is what he's saying. A guy with magic powers who smashes things when he is angry and tortures people is not threatening, because MisterBibs is so powerful and strong. He's even immune to bullets, in fact.

• Locked thread