Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nope, Type-7 is a larger hull because its too tall to fit inside medium hangars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Type 7 can't land at outposts either :manning:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Python supremacy, then!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Shine posted:

Python supremacy, then!

Pretty much. I actually traded my conda back in for a python because it's still a bruiser that can trade AND land at outposts. Until I'm ridiculously space rich, it's pretty much my go to ship from now on.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
What's the least retarded way to grind Federation rank now that Arexe is dead? Robigo runs again hoping that as many deliveries as possible go to Fed stations?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

Pretty much. I actually traded my conda back in for a python because it's still a bruiser that can trade AND land at outposts. Until I'm ridiculously space rich, it's pretty much my go to ship from now on.

Python was my go-to "bigger than the Vulture" RES stomper, but now that I'm using the FAS for that (one C3 beam, everything else frag cannons), I turned the Python back into a miner, which it also does very well.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So i'm trying my hand at some smuggling here, deliberately this time. I took a narcotics mission with a about 40 minute timer which says that i will be provided the deliver details by one of their "contacts", where can i find this person?
I flew around in supercruise a bit scanning ships trying to find her, but nothing. Decided to disengage out of supercruise and loiter around in space for a bit hoping she would find me, but in like 20 seconds the rozzers majesticly flew in screaming "HALT RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM" and started scanning me, to which i said nuh huh farted chaff in their face and blasted off back in space. Currently i'm landed in a big moon canyon to get away from a pesky bounty hunter.

Unrelated question, if i log out in space or landed in this canyon, do i get rolled back to the last station i was in when i log back in?

edit: another unrelated question, is there a site with pictures of the cockpit in all the ships? i feel like this is one of the major selling points to me.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

timn posted:

What's the least retarded way to grind Federation rank now that Arexe is dead? Robigo runs again hoping that as many deliveries as possible go to Fed stations?

So far, I have gotten 1% rank progress per anything I do while working getting promoted past lieutenant. If this trend holds up, then do whatever, especially donations or yes stacked Robigo.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Shine posted:

Python was my go-to "bigger than the Vulture" RES stomper, but now that I'm using the FAS for that (one C3 beam, everything else frag cannons), I turned the Python back into a miner, which it also does very well.

Yep, done this in the past too. The python seems better sized to have a big rear end refinery and tons of drones, whereas the asp always feels too cramped and under-equipped. Whenever I feel the urge to mine, I do a quick refit and I'm off.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dongattack posted:

So i'm trying my hand at some smuggling here, deliberately this time. I took a narcotics mission with a about 40 minute timer which says that i will be provided the deliver details by one of their "contacts", where can i find this person?
I flew around in supercruise a bit scanning ships trying to find her, but nothing. Decided to disengage out of supercruise and loiter around in space for a bit hoping she would find me, but in like 20 seconds the rozzers majesticly flew in screaming "HALT RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM" and started scanning me, to which i said nuh huh farted chaff in their face and blasted off back in space. Currently i'm landed in a big moon canyon to get away from a pesky bounty hunter.

Unrelated question, if i log out in space or landed in this canyon, do i get rolled back to the last station i was in when i log back in?

edit: another unrelated question, is there a site with pictures of the cockpit in all the ships? i feel like this is one of the major selling points to me.

Missions that require you to meet up with NPCs are apparently bugged. The NPCs never show up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

Python supremacy, then!

The only annoying thing for me is, configuring the Python from trading to exploring and back is a headache for me, since I can't just store the modules somewhere for later use. Flying back and forth, hoping to find all modules I need every time got old fast. So this is why I have an Imperial Clipper for trading now. If I'm space rich someday instead of barely fluid, I'll probably buy a second Python just so I can land on outposts if I want to trade.

But really, Frontier should rethink this, it's kind of weird to have a multirole-ship being straight up the better trader then the pure trading ship. The way it is now, a trader is basically "upgrading" by going from a T-7 to a Python before ending up at the larger ships. Either the T-7 needs to be rebalanced to be able to land on outposts, or there needs to be a T-7 variant a bit more squashed: Less high but wider, so it fits on a medium pad without losing cargo space.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Libluini posted:

The only annoying thing for me is, configuring the Python from trading to exploring and back is a headache for me, since I can't just store the modules somewhere for later use.

This is on the list of "Things from Space Rangers 2 that should be in Elite," along with Space Google.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Uh guys...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1dh2EjNbo

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

What the actual fuk

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That droning music is neither soundtrack nor radio. Its ambient ingame, the entire colony hears it and is on lockdown. People are panicking, and making GBS threads their space-drawers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

What in the hell? I guess I'll go check this out, if that's like an on-going thing and not a freaky rear end bug.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Want to get back into this but I'm like halfway to Sagittarius A, and halfway to wanting to finish my odyssey or self-destruct myself back to civilization.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Toadsmash posted:

Am I missing something completely or is there really no cash incentive whatsoever to surface exploration in the middle of bum gently caress nowhere and doing the whole "go where no one has gone before" thing beyond the random metals you can just as easily get a few light years from your starting system smack in the middle of the bubble?

Does anyone know the answer to this? The internet is still sparse on this stuff and it surprised the hell out of me. I figured you'd get some kind of exploration reward from scanning the rocks you blow up for mats, but nosirree. Seems like a pretty ginormous mechanical omission if there's really nothing.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Toadsmash posted:

Does anyone know the answer to this? The internet is still sparse on this stuff and it surprised the hell out of me. I figured you'd get some kind of exploration reward from scanning the rocks you blow up for mats, but nosirree. Seems like a pretty ginormous mechanical omission if there's really nothing.
As far as I've seen, the monetary rewards from fury roading come from cargo you find and data links you scan, though you apparently get explorer rank progress for collecting rocks, so there's that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Toadsmash posted:

The only cash incentive is being able to do so theoretically indefinitely and faster.

The indefinite part is with craftable AFM and SRV fuel refills. The faster part is with FSD boosts.

That's it so far.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I need some help. I've been working on grinding Imperial standing/ranks so that I can get a Courier (and eventually a Clipper), but something's off.

I've been working out of an Imperial controlled system, taking missions marked with an eagle, etc. now for a few hours and completed maybe a half dozen. Checked my Imp rep and apparently it's going down (from 16% neutral to 14%)?

I need a no-BS route to getting this rep, because it feels like I made allied with Fed + a few fed ranks in as much time as I've spent trying to get my Imperial standing higher than it is now. From what people have said, it takes maybe two hours or less to get the standing for a Courier, and it's starting to feel frustrating.

Maybe there's an Imperial equivalent to Robigo? I feel like much of my Fed ranks came from making those runs.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

HiroProtagonist posted:

I need some help. I've been working on grinding Imperial standing/ranks so that I can get a Courier (and eventually a Clipper), but something's off.

I've been working out of an Imperial controlled system, taking missions marked with an eagle, etc. now for a few hours and completed maybe a half dozen. Checked my Imp rep and apparently it's going down (from 16% neutral to 14%)?

I need a no-BS route to getting this rep, because it feels like I made allied with Fed + a few fed ranks in as much time as I've spent trying to get my Imperial standing higher than it is now. From what people have said, it takes maybe two hours or less to get the standing for a Courier, and it's starting to feel frustrating.

Maybe there's an Imperial equivalent to Robigo? I feel like much of my Fed ranks came from making those runs.

Fehu is the Imperial equivalent to Robigo. I haven't been there since patch so ymmv.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Once you have landing permissions, the arrows are on all the large facing things, pointing at the docking port. The model rotates based on your alignment with it in space. So basically, pretend the model is the thing you're looking at, and fly in the direction the arrow points.

Furthermore, if it helps, like 95% of stations have their mouths pointed towards the planet they orbit. Approaching from planetside will have you facing the slot most of the time. If not, fly past the station towards the planet and turn around.

I also watch for the contrails of the cops on patrol - the pretty much always circle the side with the mail slot.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only cash incentive is being able to do so theoretically indefinitely and faster.

The indefinite part is with craftable AFM and SRV fuel refills. The faster part is with FSD boosts.

That's it so far.

I'm not even sure I'd have bought the expansion yet if I'd known this was the case ahead of time. The SRV is fun for awhile, but the stick needs some kind of carrot on the end to keep it fun after the first few hours, and this expansion was like the most blindingly obvious opportunity they've ever had to finally throw explorers a bone and make it both profitable and fun. That's heartbreaking. :(

Guess I should have looked into that aspect better ahead of time. My own fault I guess.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

"Ginormous mechanical omission" describes the vast majority of this game. If you're not willing to explore an infinite succession of identical low-res blobs for no other ingame reward than a sparse visual companion to the Star Trek roleplay you've got going inside your head (that you could've gotten in a fraction of the time, with much better visuals, for free, from Space Engine), then long-range exploration may not be for you.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

You should see it from the other side....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC3nYtbCSR4

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I accepted a mission to shut down a generator in a settlement so I thought to myself "well, this should be simple, just dive down and rain death on it from the sky- holy jeez these defense turrets have some punch :stare:"

(That took about 5 seconds by the way: 2 seconds watching my shields disintegrate, 3 seconds frantically boosting away)

I then got in my space car and basically realized my original plan would've been supremely unfun compared to what is basically Mass Effect's Mako bits but actually exciting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, those ground defense guns have punch. Pretty sure they're the same kind of turrets mounted on orbital stations and capital ships.

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007

Dongattack posted:

They will show up eventually, but not in the time frame stated in the mission and there's no indication on what the actual amount of time is for when they will show up after the time expires.

There are a few bug tickets on the frontier forums about it, specifically the "going the distance" mission.

I tried two of these and had mixed results. The first the NPC never showed up after a period of approximately 2 hours with a mission time limit of 7 minutes. This one I cancelled out because I thought it was bugged.

However after reading the bug reports I tried a second mission.

The second the NPC did show up, 45 minutes after the mission time limit had expired. Somehow even after the time limit expired, it was still a legit mission and I later delivered and got credit for it.

The bug tickets said Frontier knows about the issue, so hopefully it will get patched sooner rather than later.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Shine posted:

Just Horizons.

Thanks

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I got the space madness. I've headed into the black to visit HIP 38064.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I've noticed that rares seem to cap out at around $16,000 even when hauling them to Robigo.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Got any other names perhaps?

Too busy going 'holyshit three Vultures what the gently caress is wrong with these people boost boost boost' and yelling for my friend to get the gently caress outta dodge to note down names. Is there a player search function on Inara? These guys might have profiles.

That said, they were hunting in one of the hazRESes right next to Haxel Port - it's the biggest station in the system and a good place for kitting out your ship so if I was trying to make my stomping grounds in that sector, that's where I'd go.

I'm not saying people should sent out a hitsquad to put the fear of goon in 'em but if someone is in the area and is into hassling some pubbies, it might be worth a look.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

WebDog posted:

I've noticed that rares seem to cap out at around $16,000 even when hauling them to Robigo.
Profits on rares plateau around 160ly from the source.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So how the hell do you launch the game through Steam?

I bought Horizons via Steam, downloaded the 6GB install. Started it up, I get the screen image below. Log in, click the REDEEM button on the bottom, opens up a browser to redeem the game serial # through the frontier account, do that, but this redeem button still shows and no way to "launch" it.

What am I missing here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

It just took a few minutes for the redemption to take effect for me. Less than five, though, I'm pretty sure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, seems to work now thanks. I got out of Steam and reloaded it.

So it didn't give me an option of 32/64 bit. Does that mean I'm 64 automatically?

Running a 6700K on 8.1 x64.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I have arrived.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Sard posted:

So far, I have gotten 1% rank progress per anything I do while working getting promoted past lieutenant. If this trend holds up, then do whatever, especially donations or yes stacked Robigo.

Just to add on to this, rank reward is weird. I just finished a simple delivery. 166,000~ credit reward, from a space station, to a system 45 ly away, to a starport on the surface of a planet 70,000 ls from the local star. This rewarded a whopping 5% rank progress compared to 1% from earlier, much higher paying combat jobs and donations.

e: Also I am falling in love with the Python. Not for firepower or looks, though, as much as two unexpected perks. One, it has a huge fuel tank so I can forgo a fuel scoop for most work. And even more of a surprise, two, it has three searchlights that illuminate a very wide area, perfect for flying at night on planets.

Sard fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Yeah, seems to work now thanks. I got out of Steam and reloaded it.

So it didn't give me an option of 32/64 bit. Does that mean I'm 64 automatically?

Running a 6700K on 8.1 x64.

Horizons is only 64 bit, only the base game (1.5) is available as 32 bit.

• Locked thread