Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Electromax posted:

8's gonna start with Luke's saber falling from Bespin and trace it to Rey, like the beginning of Two Towers.

Star Wars has never done a flash back.

I guess they could do it but that would be weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I very much appreciated the little 'tss' noises when snow flaked would hit their lightsabers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I guess the PT is an enormous 6 hour flashback.

Zenro7
Dec 19, 2015

by Cowcaster
Besides balancing the force wouldn't the Republic make quick work wiping out any First Order after getting their planets blown up?

Was also talking to a friend and his theory is that Luke may have molested Kylo Ren and that's why he's extremely hostile to everyone.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

euphronius posted:

Star Wars has never done a flash back.

I guess they could do it but that would be weird.

Except, you know, in this new movie The Force Awakens

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Except, you know, in this new movie The Force Awakens

There was a force dream. Not a flash back.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zenro7 posted:

Besides balancing the force wouldn't the Republic make quick work wiping out any First Order after getting their planets blown up?
We've got no idea of the relative scale of the forces, and it's possible large chunks of the republic fleet got wiped out.

I thought the world-building was a bit weak there. It's pretty easy to guess the scale of a conflict defined as an empire vs some rebels, but we never really get an idea of who controls most of the galaxy in TFA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The movie focused on the characters full throttle. Even the tactics meeting at the end was just a stand up comedy act.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Zenro7 posted:

Would you guys want to see/Is there room for Thrawn in this trilogy? I don't know the rules for borrowing ideas from the EU universe.

I'm firmly on the record as wanting Thrawn, he's one of my favorite characters from the EU. I think there's room for him as the guy they send in to take charge and clean up the mess from Starkiller Base being destroyed. With that said, I wouldn't want to see him as just the guy shown for a few seconds leading the fleet or ground forces in a battle though, as fun as it would be to see him shouted out I'd want him to be in there about as much as Hux was in Force Awakens, only acting as Snoke's right hand man and kicking Republic rear end. If we get a ground battle similar to Hoth where the best the good guys can hope for is getting some escape shuttles away safely, that's the sort of thing Thrawn should be commanding from orbit.

If they're going to keep the First Order/Empire forces as the antagonists in episodes 10-12 then I'd rather they save Thrawn for that, a big part of Thrawn's appeal is that he rises above the imperial infighting and commands the loyalty of his men through sheer leadership, and I think there's room for a hardline military leader after the Imperial forces have seen two Sith leaders ultimately suffer massive defeats, assuming Snoke is Sith and he ends up dying by the end of episode 9.

You have no idea how much I was anticipating having that big old hologram pop out and seeing Thrawn's big blue face staring at me, or even Thrawn in everything but name.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

euphronius posted:

The movie focused on the characters full throttle. Even the tactics meeting at the end was just a stand up comedy act.

Yeah, I guess all I wanted was a throwaway line in the opening text, or some boast by Hux during Nuremberg or whatever.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
All I gotta say is I really want to look closely at Rey's dream sequence. They packed a ton of imagery in there with a lot of hints about the recent past. And I only caught about half of it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The resistance is operating as a secretly funded terrorist / militia group so I think you can safely infer that the republic is not meaningfully at war readiness of anything .

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NowonSA posted:

I'm firmly on the record as wanting Thrawn, he's one of my favorite characters from the EU. I think there's room for him as the guy they send in to take charge and clean up the mess from Starkiller Base being destroyed. With that said, I wouldn't want to see him as just the guy shown for a few seconds leading the fleet or ground forces in a battle though, as fun as it would be to see him shouted out I'd want him to be in there about as much as Hux was in Force Awakens, only acting as Snoke's right hand man and kicking Republic rear end. If we get a ground battle similar to Hoth where the best the good guys can hope for is getting some escape shuttles away safely, that's the sort of thing Thrawn should be commanding from orbit.

If they're going to keep the First Order/Empire forces as the antagonists in episodes 10-12 then I'd rather they save Thrawn for that, a big part of Thrawn's appeal is that he rises above the imperial infighting and commands the loyalty of his men through sheer leadership, and I think there's room for a hardline military leader after the Imperial forces have seen two Sith leaders ultimately suffer massive defeats, assuming Snoke is Sith and he ends up dying by the end of episode 9.

You have no idea how much I was anticipating having that big old hologram pop out and seeing Thrawn's big blue face staring at me, or even Thrawn in everything but name.

There is no way Thrawn or any other old EU characters will show up. There may be a character in there as an homage, but they would not be a blue alien named Thrawn.

euphronius posted:

The resistance is operating as a secretly funded terrorist / militia group so I think you can safely infer that the republic is not meaningfully at war readiness of anything .

I'm also surprised they didn't have more throw away lines about the current state of the galaxy. ANH had a lot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen
from the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC,
General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE.
She is desperate to find her
brother Luke and gain his
help in restoring peace and
justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring
pilot on a secret mission
to Jakku, where an old ally
has discovered a clue to
Luke’s whereabouts . . . .

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Saw the movie again. Based on the flashback it seems that Luke is training the next Jedi as strictly peaceful. I.e. No lightsabers. Kylo obviously wants some lightsabers fun and (presumably with the help of Snoke - who I doubt is very powerful himself) builds a really lovely one and slaughters everyone (even his "Knights" don't have their own lightsabers). Come to think of it. Rey's staff obviously has a huge part to play. I just realised it could be similar to the non-lightsabers weapons that the Knights of Ren had. I guess Luke fled because A) he failed ala Yoda. B) he couldn't kill Ben Solo.

I like the theme of even lovely Jedi and lovely lightsabers are powerful as gently caress amongst normal people.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

euphronius posted:

Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen
from the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC,
General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE.
She is desperate to find her
brother Luke and gain his
help in restoring peace and
justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring
pilot on a secret mission
to Jakku, where an old ally
has discovered a clue to
Luke’s whereabouts . . . .

Uh, you posted it wrong

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

euphronius posted:

It's weird though, they should clearly recognize this growing existential threat, even if their resources are currently limited, why limit them further by fighting with some smaller proxy force? Whatever little the Republic has prepared, better to throw it in? Even if they don't know there's a bigger Death Star I still don't understand their choices from a strategic standpoint. Hell it feels like they're even smaller than the Rebellion. it's not even like the U.S. arming Kurds to fight ISIS, you're already all Kurds in this scenario

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's probably already been pointed out in this thread already, but I can't help notice the similarities between the music that plays when Palpatine talks about Darth Plagueis in RotS and Supreme Leader Snoke's theme from The Force Awakens.

Then I remember that Palpatine said Plagueis had the power to create life through The Force. Then I thought about how Rey was unnaturally talented with the Force and has uncertain parentage, just like Anakin. Luke needed to be trained, but Anakin and Rey seem to be naturals. Which makes me think that Rey being a Skywalker is a red herring, what if she's actually a "daughter" of sorts of Plagueis, created by the Force?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's probably already been pointed out in this thread already, but I can't help notice the similarities between the music that plays when Palpatine talks about Darth Plagueis in RotS and Supreme Leader Snoke's theme from The Force Awakens.

Then I remember that Palpatine said Plagueis had the power to create life through The Force. Then I thought about how Rey was unnaturally talented with the Force and has uncertain parentage, just like Anakin. Luke needed to be trained, but Anakin and Rey seem to be naturals. Which makes me think that Rey being a Skywalker is a red herring, what if she's actually a "daughter" of sorts of Plagueis, created by the Force?

I have a friend that has this theory too, and I really think they wouldn't go there because -

a) They are trying to stay away from the Prequels and anything introduced there

b) It's universally acknowledged the "immaculate force conception" concept is stupid.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Here's what I gathered: there was likely a coup on Coruscant/Hosian Prime (wherever the Imperials had set-up their government during the OT) that overthrew the Imperials in addition to all the other planets that revolted once word of Vader and the Emperor's death spread. That meant the Imperials were just a mess of military leadership, personnel and ships out in space that gathered without a place to call home but very much a threat because they had a lot of firepower at their disposal. The Republic basically told the Rebels "look, we need you to be our military until we get our poo poo figured out" which is the reason why 30 years later the First Order is still a threat.

Medullah posted:

I have a friend that has this theory too, and I really think they wouldn't go there because -

a) They are trying to stay away from the Prequels and anything introduced there

b) It's universally acknowledged the "immaculate force conception" concept is stupid.

I always thought Palpatine was bullshitting Anakin when talking about Plageus (though it could be the lovely acting, who knows).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

hobbesmaster posted:

There is no way Thrawn or any other old EU characters will show up. There may be a character in there as an homage, but they would not be a blue alien named Thrawn.

Yeah, I think that's certainly a fool's hope at this point, but even if they just bring in a thoroughly competent non force using military leader I'll be satisfied. One thing you may not have noticed is that the good guys have never lost a large-scale space battle in a Star Wars movie, or if they have I sure don't remember it. The closest I can think of is the attack on Hoth, and that's more of a ground fight. I think it'd be cool to see Hux, or Hux's boss, come in and lead the First Order to victory in a big space battle at the start or the end of Episode 8. Just give that guy the same talking up Poe gets as the best pilot in the Resistance, show him looking at a crazy tactical map and organizing an ambush, and I'm sated.

It'd also put more stakes on Rey and her training, the Republic should be losing so that she's the big hope to come in, beat the emperor, and throw the First Order into chaos. I mean, if Palpatine hadn't died at the end of RotJ the Rebellion was pretty doomed even with the destruction of two death stars, he really was the glue holding it all together.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Justin Godscock posted:

I always thought Palpatine was bullshitting Anakin when talking about Plageus (though it could be the lovely acting, who knows).

Uh, Ian McDiarmid is amazing and the best art of the prequels. His performances are excellent.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

Here's what I gathered: there was likely a coup on Coruscant/Hosian Prime (wherever the Imperials had set-up their government during the OT) that overthrew the Imperials in addition to all the other planets that revolted once word of Vader and the Emperor's death spread. That meant the Imperials were just a mess of military leadership, personnel and ships out in space that gathered without a place to call home but very much a threat because they had a lot of firepower at their disposal. The Republic basically told the Rebels "look, we need you to be our military until we get our poo poo figured out" which is the reason why 30 years later the First Order is still a threat.
Well see this is all great and makes a ton of sense, I just wish it was like, indicated somehow in the film itself. Cuz otherwise the current state of the conflict just feels weird and dumb. Hell the opening crawl could have explained this fine in a few efficient sentences.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

One other thing that came out from a second viewing is how strongly both Kylo and Snoke react to "the girl" from Jakku. Maybe they know a bit more about her...

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Zenro7 posted:

Was also talking to a friend and his theory is that Luke may have molested Kylo Ren and that's why he's extremely hostile to everyone.

I think Ren was handed off to Luke, and had huge expectations and lovely parenting tossed onto him, and his entire self-esteem became about following in Luke's footsetps and becoming THE Jedi. His needs are never really fulfilled by his parents, or Luke, and his frustration is fed on by Snoke, until he turns. In a way he probably feels more agency over himself on the dark side, than he did with the Jedi.

It's also interesting how nice Snoke is to him, compare to what you'd expect from Palpatine. I don't think he's ever tortured the poo poo out of him. It sounds like he was avoiding training him completely, worried about what he might get up to if he fulfills his potential.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wank posted:

One other thing that came out from a second viewing is how strongly both Kylo and Snoke react to "the girl" from Jakku. Maybe they know a bit more about her...

Plus, the reveal of Rey being Plagueis' "daughter" of sorts would echo ESB.

Poetry! It rhymes!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I doubt he literally decided to literally abandon his weapon; it was more of a "dude, no, I'm not killing you" thing.

It was a spiritual battle for his father's soul. They were all dead anyway. That was the plan at least. He even says as much. "Soon I'll be dead, and you with me." His lightsaber was worse than useless. The Emperor cackled evilly when he picked it up. Did you see the movie?

It wasn't about saiyan power levels: "this weapon is your life" fundamentally conflicts with "we are encouraged to love." There are people who say that Yoda is too powerful for a lightsaber. This is incorrect (and you're right about that) but it's incorrect because Yoda in the OT is too enlightened for a lightsaber, not too powerful.

Watch what happens to characters when they lose their lightsabers. Star Wars is obsessed with those moments by the way. It's usually a moment of spiritual growth.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was chatting to some mates about this and one of them kind of pointed something out. I raised the commonly seen objection that there could've been a little more exposition here and there about how the new republic and first order etc work and that that might have made things flow a little better, and he pointed out that in all six previous movies any kind of explanation in movie were always retarded and they were better off giving the audience a cheap laugh than trying to build back story too much.

Come to think of it, the stuff about midi chlorians, trade federations and everything else has ended up being dumb as hell.

The whole; it's a huge weapon what else do you need to know? is probably for the best given star wars history.

IanTheM posted:

I think Ren was handed off to Luke, and had huge expectations and lovely parenting tossed onto him, and his entire self-esteem became about following in Luke's footsetps and becoming THE Jedi. His needs are never really fulfilled by his parents, or Luke, and his frustration is fed on by Snoke, until he turns. In a way he probably feels more agency over himself on the dark side, than he did with the Jedi.

It's also interesting how nice Snoke is to him, compare to what you'd expect from Palpatine. I don't think he's ever tortured the poo poo out of him. It sounds like he was avoiding training him completely, worried about what he might get up to if he fulfills his potential.

It doesn't need to be a big thing, it's pretty simple. A dude is conflicted because he doesn't feel anyone recognises his skillz, he's struggling partly because he's frustrated and closed off emotionally because emotions are bad and then here comes some powerful dude saying, you can beat them all by using your feelings. Your grandfather was so great because of his feelings. He didn't kill the emperor out of some good it was his anger yadda yadda yadda. Follows the rest of the fall to the dark side stories in a similar way. Pretty much with Vader's story we see someone desperate do something bad given an impossible choice and then out of the guilt and anger they fall further.

Kylo is a pretty good call back to Anakin in a lot of ways. Obi Wan still gives him a choice before their fight but Annakin obviously feels theres no coming back from what he's done.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

While the theming and design in general was great in TFA, I been thinking about Kylo's helmet. Its loving awesome. First of all it cribs off the Revan design which was great in KOTOR, and it looks very cool in the movie. The voice modulation is great. But where it loving KILLS is the sound design & weight they lend to it. It THUNKS to the ground every time he takes it off. It stews in Vader's ashes. Kylo puts on this rock, feels the weight of his perceived destiny on him, and is afraid he is inadequate to the task.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Poe and Finn just immediately bro-ing out was the best part and I hope there is more of it.

The x-wing scene where Poe casually wrecks like 6 Tie fighters and some Stormtroopers was so, so good.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume he was some dude Luke trusted. i assume he may have worked at the academy.

Yeah I'm wondering if he was staying on Jakku in a Obi-wan-role keeping an eye on Rey. I would love to see an extended cut or at least deleted scenes. I was hoping for a twist that Poe is a clone but nothing...yet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

As a side note, since I had to sit in line behind people bitching about midichlorians: How often are they actually mentioned in the PT? Like, specifically named. I bet it's like three times, and about ninety seconds, max, of actually delivered lines.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Saw this last night. Not a big fan.

A few thoughts:

Kylo Ren temper tantrums (really?)

R2-D2 may never power on again.. he's stuck on low power mode (cringe)

It takes Luke Skywalker many many months to train with Yoda to become a a decent fighter but Rey can just think of the Force for 10 seconds and all the sudden overpowers Kylo Ren? COME ON.

BB-8's Skywalker map perfectly fits into R2-D2's like a puzzle piece. Give me a fuckin break.

General Leia saying the word Snork was incredibly funny to me. They really couldn't give the main villain a cooler name?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

As a side note, since I had to sit in line behind people bitching about midichlorians: How often are they actually mentioned in the PT? Like, specifically named. I bet it's like three times, and about ninety seconds, max, of actually delivered lines.

Only in episodes 1 and 3

This movie openly embraces 'the force' being character armor / special powers

Rey realizes she is a main character and she can escape her cell by controlling a 'weak-minded' tertiary character.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nessus posted:

pretty much. its more that qui gon explains to anakin how the force exists which ruins the mystery.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nessus posted:

midichlorians are dumb what would've made more sense is that stronger in the force = more midichlorians in the blood but instead they went more midichlorians = stronger in the force, which took a big poo poo on everything.,

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fromsinkingsands posted:

Saw this last night. Not a big fan.

A few thoughts:

R2-D2 may never power on again.. he's stuck on low power mode (cringe)

Oh boy I'm excited to hear how dumb this nitpick is gonna be! Please elaborate.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PostNouveau posted:

The actress who play her, Gwendoline Christie, plays a fan favorite character on Game of Thrones.
I had a crazy idea. What if they've actually cast her in a dual role? The one we all know is her in armour and with a processed voice, so she could probably play a second (secret) character in Episode VIII/XI, since we all know she's involved (and assuming they can keep a tight lid on spoilers), everyone will assume she's just there to play Phasma. So what role could she play? Well, she's well known for playing a badass warrior in GoT and even if Rey is Luke's daughter, the question becomes who her mother would be. So what I'm saying is, Gwendoline Christie for Mara Jade Skywalker. I mean, that would be an amazing surprise if they pulled it off - so regular people will go 'holy crap I didn't know Rey's mom/Luke's wife is in this, woah she's a badass Jedi', wile the diehard EU fans will go ':tviv: that's Mara Jade'. Plus the Skywalker family coming together again would be a nice counterpoint to the disintegration of the Solo family.

oddium posted:

you're asking the same question han solo asks neo yoda and she tells him something like "that's a story for another time wink"
Actually didn't Mara have Anakin's lightsaber for a while? See, it all makes sense! Having Mara Jade be Rey's mom ties up a bunch of stuff!
1) Who left Rey on Jakku (since Luke apparently stayed on his hermitage - with no other ship in sight, suggesting someone else took it and left).
2) Who gave Anakin's saber to Maz (whether Han never knew Mara had it, or he last saw Mara with it, who vanished with Luke). It could have been recovered by the Empire and then Palpy gave it to Mara to kill Luke with for poetic reasons, instead of faffing about with Luuke or whatever. Maybe she left it with Maz for Rey to find later?
3) She can provide new insights into Snoke & the Knights of Ren, if you have her going around investigating them while Rey was growing up on Jakku to try and whack Snoke.
:beck:

Zenro7 posted:

I think that getting their capital blown up along with (apparently) a significant protion of the Alliance Fleet would probably cause fairly massive chaos. It's be like if the Japanese not only attack Pearl Harbour, but also simultaneously successfully took out the President, both Houses of Congress, and the Pentagon in one fell swoop. They're probably going to make some very big initial gains, but the Republic will strike back by Episode IX.

Zenro7 posted:

Oh come on, that's blatant trolling. Is this some kind of abstract way of saying Disney ruined his childhood or whatever?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BlindSite posted:

midichlorians are dumb what would've made more sense is that stronger in the force = more midichlorians in the blood but instead they went more midichlorians = stronger in the force, which took a big poo poo on everything.,

I'm pretty sure the former is the actual explanation but most people read it the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Nessus posted:

They're not mentioned a lot but they undermine how the force is presented in the original trilogy.

It goes from some mystical all powerful power to something your doctor would read to you during a physical.

• Locked thread