Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really don't know much about the Land games other than how incredibly meta the plots are. The series has never taken itself seriously, and doesn't try to make you believe it's anything but a videogame. That's part of the charm. But from what I hear the plots are basically Cranky challenging the Kongs to beat the same game on a less powerful system, and this is the only series where something that absurd could actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I borrowed DKL3 from a friend once, and I remember it being a fairly competent game overall. I never quite finished it, though. K. Rool bails to the Lost World after you beat him, but there was one single DK Coin I could never find in the late game areas that kept me from getting in there.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I had the original DKL when I was pretty young, and even then I could tell how awful the controls felt. I don't even know how to put it into words. DK felt super heavy but his momentum didn't make sense to me. And I could just never be sure if it would count as DK actually setting foot on a platform, or if I didn't quite get his sprite far enough past the edges for him to not just slide backwards off of it. The ostrich was the worst for that. And the not being able to save without getting all the Kong letters was the worst thing for a kid to have to deal with in a game like that. I never had the other 2, but it sounds like they got better.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Donkey Kong Land was the first major game I owned (the others were Tetris and Galaga/Galaxian) and I absolutely loved it as a kid. It's probably the game that turned me on to platformers in general and the reason I wanted an SNES with DKC so badly when I was 6.

I recognize now that it has aged pretty poorly but there are a few unique ideas in it that never returned to the series. The music wasn't half-bad either. I barely remember DKL2 and DKL3. Despite owning them they didn't make as big an impact in my memory.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I really don't know much about the Land games other than how incredibly meta the plots are. The series has never taken itself seriously, and doesn't try to make you believe it's anything but a videogame. That's part of the charm. But from what I hear the plots are basically Cranky challenging the Kongs to beat the same game on a less powerful system, and this is the only series where something that absurd could actually work.
Nobody does snarky self-awareness quite like Rare did in its prime. If you watched the Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts LP, there was plenty of snark, but zero self-awareness. Now they're just being used as a first-party shovelware game maker. It's pretty sad.

The plot of DKL2 is the exact same as its SNES counterpart, but I think DKL3 involves Dixie and Kiddie going on a treasure hunt. DK and Diddy aren't in it because they left for the same reason. Because of the lack of the team-up function, Kiddie is even more useless than in DKC3.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Chimp Caverns is hella lame because it's a boring clump of the game's most boring level archetypes but hey that rad pirate ship keeps getting closer surely it'll have some really great levels!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Looper posted:

Chimp Caverns is hella lame because it's a boring clump of the game's most boring level archetypes but hey that rad pirate ship keeps getting closer surely it'll have some really great levels!

It totally does. Topsail Trouble and Gangplank Galley are two of my favorites.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

whitehelm posted:

I don't know about the "missing level", but the two Necky fight is in the GBA rerelease of DKC.

I definitely remember the missing level. It's Blackout Basement, it's in Kremcroc Industries. You guys definitely played it, I went back and checked. You just forgot because gently caress man was there really anything worth remembering?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Autumn Heights - Part 2 :siren:

Today we finish up World 2 and tackle one of the most infamous levels in the entire game. And I own the poo poo out of it. :smug:

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Artix posted:

:siren: Autumn Heights - Part 2 :siren:

Today we finish up World 2 and tackle one of the most infamous levels in the entire game. And I own the poo poo out of it. :smug:

I enjoy the concept art you get from collecting puzzle pieces, so I usually don't mind the normal collecting/the bonus games.
gently caress Bopopolis's puzzle pieces. Each and every one is a gigantic middle finger.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yggdrasil325 posted:

I enjoy the concept art you get from collecting puzzle pieces, so I usually don't mind the normal collecting/the bonus games.
gently caress Bopopolis's puzzle pieces. Each and every one is a gigantic middle finger.

At least the level starts you off with a basically free 1up so you can dick around going after them as much as you like.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wing Ding is probably my favorite song in the game now that I've played through and I really wish I noticed during recording that the song actually changes when you're sliding on vines as opposed to regular platforming. I also take back what I said about having a bad time playing Bopopolis, that level, along with all of TF's K levels, is an absolute blast to play. They just feel so good in motion once you've got a hang of what you're doing. Speedruns are also a joy to watch.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
My two friends who were playing co-op said they'd been having trouble with this level when I first started playing this game, and they watched me play through Bopopolis blind. I was done in about ten minutes, with puzzle pieces.

They both called me a monster, and I just laughed so hard.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I almost definitely missed it, but remind me, do the banana coins actually serve a purpose or are they just e-penis?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Choco1980 posted:

I almost definitely missed it, but remind me, do the banana coins actually serve a purpose or are they just e-penis?

Funky's got a shop.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Y-Hat posted:

The Game Boy Color version of Donkey Kong Country was released in 2000. It's not even a bad port, it's just not memorable in any way besides there being an extra level that wasn't in the SNES version. I'm gonna guess that Necky Nutmare didn't even make the GBA version.

http://www.amazon.com/Donkey-Kong-Country-Game-Boy-Color/dp/B00004S9A0
I had this version back in the day, and I'm pretty sure it was the only non-Pokémon game I had for my GBC. It was pretty decent for what it was, and as the worst DKC player in the world I actually managed to get further in it than I ever did in the SNES version (due to the fact it autosaves after every level on GBC).

I bought Tropical Freeze a while ago, and while I like the aesthetics and the soundtrack I just can't seem to get to grips with the controls. :saddowns: Maybe some day.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Crumble Cavern is one of my favorite levels in this game. I've always loved barrel cannon levels since I was a kid playing the series and that level was just really enjoyable to play since I like them so much. As far as I know there is no puzzle piece for getting all the bananas at the end spiral because you can't fire the barrel fast enough to get them all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Bopopolis is a strong contender for greatest platforming level ever designed

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It didn't feel that hard to me because it just flows so well

There's a few points where you kinda have to know not to do the higher bounce off of enemies but other than that it's poetry in videogame form

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ChaosArgate posted:

Wing Ding is probably my favorite song in the game now that I've played through and I really wish I noticed during recording that the song actually changes when you're sliding on vines as opposed to regular platforming. I also take back what I said about having a bad time playing Bopopolis, that level, along with all of TF's K levels, is an absolute blast to play. They just feel so good in motion once you've got a hang of what you're doing. Speedruns are also a joy to watch.

That was beautiful. I see Retro put as much care into their levels in making them speedrun friendly like DKC2's level design.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least the boss here is pretty generous with hearts if you kill his little minions.

I love the music in this game. It's not a real DKC game without David Wise.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr. Fetus posted:

That was beautiful. I see Retro put as much care into their levels in making them speedrun friendly like DKC2's level design.

The game is so speedrun friendly it even has a time-attack mode! :v: But yeah, Tropical Freeze is incredibly speedrun friendly. Since I lack a Wii U myself I've pretty much only seen the game through speedruns. And every now and then I get confused when Artix spends 30 seconds figuring out or showing off a segment that a speedrunner would go through in less than a second. For reference, the speed runners hate Retro's bosses even more than Artix does. :v:

On the plus side though, with Artix going through at an actually sane rate we'll be able to sit back and enjoy 3-1's absolutely baller music, in a proper speed run you barely get to hear it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait to see the return of Retro's patented shockwave attack for bosses. Two bosses in and I've seen none of them. I do appreciate that all it takes to piss off DK and friends is to smash a single banana.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Y-Hat posted:

I can't wait to see the return of Retro's patented shockwave attack for bosses. Two bosses in and I've seen none of them. I do appreciate that all it takes to piss off DK and friends is to smash a single banana.

I don't think DK collects bananas to eat. It seems the banana hoard has no purpose other than to have it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I dont know posted:

I don't think DK collects bananas to eat. It seems the banana hoard has no purpose other than to have it.

It's clearly a status symbol of his immense strength. It says to all that these bananas are my bananas and if you mess with them I will crush you beneath my giant meaty fists.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alkydere posted:

The game is so speedrun friendly it even has a time-attack mode! :v: But yeah, Tropical Freeze is incredibly speedrun friendly. Since I lack a Wii U myself I've pretty much only seen the game through speedruns. And every now and then I get confused when Artix spends 30 seconds figuring out or showing off a segment that a speedrunner would go through in less than a second. For reference, the speed runners hate Retro's bosses even more than Artix does. :v:

On the plus side though, with Artix going through at an actually sane rate we'll be able to sit back and enjoy 3-1's absolutely baller music, in a proper speed run you barely get to hear it.

I started watching the AGDQ speedrun out of curiosity. :stare: Whoa. The game is really speedrun friendly, alright. It's neat how the levels were designed to let you blaze through them.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 22, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I dont know posted:

The bananas are simply bait. He leaves them out unprotected and alluring to draw his foes out of hiding so that he may go out and smite them.

Occasionally he'll have a few though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think that the Kong economy is so shot through with graft and corruption that it cannot support itself absent DK & co plundering nearby regions for their banana wealth on a regular basis. Destruction of banana capital by the inhabitants of said regions is akin to a scorched earth policy, and therefore intolerable to the Kongs.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Autumnal Heights is my favorite world in this game for the music and scenery alone. Though the next worldis a strong contender.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Gangplank Galleon :siren:

And that's it for DKC1! Returns will be starting later this week, and DKC2 will pick up on Wednesday.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
The Donkey Kong series was one of the first ones I ever played, and really got me into video games. I also played the series backwards, for some reason. I don't have the time to watch the LP, but I sympathize that LP-ing is tough, and that the horrible levels mentioned suck. I wish you the best Artix. Tropical Freeze is awesome and I can't wait for World 3!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
DKC has it's issues but I prefer it over 3. There's just so many bad levels. The one where you have to keep the fish fed comes to mind. And the one with the burning rope. What games are you gonna be doing? I assume you're leaving out DK 64 because there's just so drat much in it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I really never got into 3 after multiple attempts. Just too much junk to plow through to complete the main game. Instead of plot coupons to unlock a bonus area, macguffins were needed to progress in the game. And then some other arbitrary event flag would need to be triggered to get to some other zones.

2's the best, the only thing they did wrong was the horrible mangled downgrade they did to Funky's theme.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

And the fact that saving costs 2 coins. Fortunately they realized that was a dumb idea and never did it again.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Artix posted:

:siren: Gangplank Galleon :siren:

And that's it for DKC1! Returns will be starting later this week, and DKC2 will pick up on Wednesday.

The commentary is REALLY desynced on this video.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 24, 2015

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, I'm noticing that too.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

DKC has it's issues but I prefer it over 3. There's just so many bad levels. The one where you have to keep the fish fed comes to mind. And the one with the burning rope. What games are you gonna be doing? I assume you're leaving out DK 64 because there's just so drat much in it.

Did someone complain about this already? But a huge problem with DKC 3 is just that so many of the levels are straight-up gimmick levels. The first game had a couple of gimmick levels (which were really bad), but mainly tried to work with being a platformer. The second had a few more but did better with them, because a lot of the gimmicks were "here's some mechanics we already established, now we're using them in a weird way." Like half the levels in DKC 3 were just weird-rear end gimmick levels that did something off-kilter and then never got used again.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Extra lives are such a weird, vestigial thing in modern gaming. What would even happen if you lost all your lives in Tropical Freeze? The level checkpoints reset? I can't imagine that you lose any overall progress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Extra lives are such a weird, vestigial thing in modern gaming. What would even happen if you lost all your lives in Tropical Freeze? The level checkpoints reset? I can't imagine that you lose any overall progress.

Touch damage is bugging me a lot more than lives were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Looper posted:

Bopopolis is a strong contender for greatest platforming level ever designed

It encapsulates the Donkey Kong spirit of grabbing bananas and getting ahead by slamming your fists on everything in your way.

• Locked thread