Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

He also beats one of the main characters into unconciousness pretty convincingly despite bleeding out of a gaping hole in his gut, shortly after killing one of the main characters from the previous trilogy. I mean, does he need to win the whole movie before his dick is big enough to impress you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I mean; would Kylo Ben have to be pointing right at someone and saying "I will now cut you to pieces" for it to be a threat in your mind?

No, he'd have to do something legitimately threatening, and not do anything that makes him laughable. It's really quite simple. Lots of the latter, none of the former. End result? The movie's Bad Guy being equal parts Dr Claw and Genghis Rex from the 1987 cartoon Dinosaucers*. Its legitimately the only downside to a movie that's otherwise quite enjoyable.

* Not the best analogy, I concede, since GR does take over Our Heroes home base in the cartoon, once.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Does anyone have the complete list of names for the Black Squadron pilots?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

No, he'd have to do something legitimately threatening, and not do anything that makes him laughable. It's really quite simple. Lots of the latter, none of the former. End result? The movie's Bad Guy being equal parts Dr Claw and Genghis Rex from the 1987 cartoon Dinosaucers. Its legitimately the only downside to a movie that's otherwise quite enjoyable.

He does plenty of "legitimately threatening" things in Episode VII. I'm starting to suspect you haven't actually seen the movie.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I have to say, I loved how Kylo kept punching himself in the side after getting shot there by Chewie during his fight with Finn and Rey. Like, "gently caress YOU, PAIN, STOP GETTING IN MY WAY!" It's just such a Kylo Ren thing to do, something really silly that a brooding teenager would definitely think is TOTALLY BADASS, only the person doing it is powerful and murderous enough to still be a threat to the heroes.

If the chemistry between Finn, Rey, and Poe hadn't been so great, Kylo would have been hands-down my favorite part of the movie :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Mods please replace all of MisterBibs' posts with the Family Guy donkey.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hiddenriverninja posted:

Does anyone have the complete list of names for the Black Squadron pilots?

Poe Dameon. That's it. He's Black One; everybody else is Red or Blue

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jivjov posted:

He does plenty of "legitimately threatening" things in Episode VII. I'm starting to suspect you haven't actually seen the movie.
Either that or he just missed the point completely.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I'm starting to suspect you haven't actually seen the movie.

I could say the same thing about you, because I simply cannot fathom how anyone found him threatening at all. I guess it boils down to higher/lower tolerances for silliness; I'll leave it at that if you will.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^- Oh for gently caress's sake, you're complaining about a man from Star Wars being silly? Silliness? In this famously grim-faced series? Pfft, I'll go back to the Empire Strikes Back and watch a giant war machine trip and fall on its face.

MisterBibs posted:

No, he'd have to do something legitimately threatening, and not do anything that makes him laughable.

What is this obsession with being 'laughable'? Darth Vader, The Emperor, every variety of walker, hell, the entire goddamn Empire - I could very easily call all of those just as or more laughable or ridiculous as anything Ren does.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MisterBibs posted:

I could say the same thing about you, because I simply cannot fathom how anyone found him threatening at all. I guess it boils down to higher/lower tolerances for silliness; I'll leave it at that if you will.
:lol: if your definition of "silly" involves killing people and flying off the handle with deadly weapons on a regular basis.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

MisterBibs posted:

Absolutely, as a special effect. As a sign of power, not really, since we just had a bad guy a few movies ago take one to the hand. And yes, I did laugh at that scene since it had two stormtroopers trundling over to the Shocked Hero and put him down with a punch and a kick.

Threatening would've seen that big laser bolt hitting him and not even registering that anything happened. "Laser blast? Pfft, I got poo poo to do."

That would be really loving stupid, actually.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Nothing Kylo does is in any way "silly".

Edit: unless you decide to completely ignore any semblance of context.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
What I found threatening was the close-ups of Chewie's fingers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

Oh thank god I wasn't the only one distracted by how weird that looked.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can't think of ever seeing his hands that closely in the OT...did he always have fingers like that?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

He had to have fingers, but I don't think we ever saw them.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hazo posted:

Are we supposed to be concerned with the fate of Captain Phasma? Nobody seems to be really talking about what happened after she unceremoniously disappeared from the movie following her capture and I don't think we're supposed to believe Han or Finn is sadistic enough to actually execute her in a garbage compactor.

They wouldn't get a major actress from Game of Thrones unless they planned on using her for more than 2 minutes.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Guys, remember when Leia poo poo talked Vader to his face and then he ended the movie spinning upside down looking all confused? Haha, what a dork.

turtlecrunch posted:

Holy poo poo I had the same reaction to wookie digits.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

They wouldn't get a major actress from Game of Thrones unless they planned on using her for more than 2 minutes.

Phasma is confirmed for Episode VIII. My personal guess is that she'll be excommunicated from the First Order, potentially on Kylo Ben's hit list, and out for revenge on Finn.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They got major actor Daniel Craig and used him in a cameo that lasted a minute or less.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They got major actor Daniel Craig and used him in a cameo that lasted a minute or less.

That was a Craig's request though, if I understand it correctly. They didn't seek him out for casting.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
People who wanted Kylo Ren to be Darth Vader 2.0 are dumb.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

Again, ableist slurs are really not necessary.

Stop being a idiot retard

Craig was the guard who got mind tricked yeah? He was just a guard, Phasma is a named character in a badass new storm trooper suit we haven't seen yet, shes not going to die without some serious development in 8, although it would be pretty fun if they got a got actor in just to kill them off instantly imo.

E: Are spoilers still necessary for a thread no one is going to read without seeing the movie?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 20, 2015

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Disney should be making a stand alone Poe Dameron / Black Squadron movie. Forget about young Han / Boba Fett.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

:lol: if your definition of "silly" involves killing people and flying off the handle with deadly weapons on a regular basis.

MisterBibs is the manliest man to ever manhandle a manly movie review, you wouldn't understand because he's so manly that anything that isn't cartoonishly stoic is just silly, and dumb because he's literally a one-dimensional person and expects no less from his movie characters.

Silly things like a murderous short temper and superhuman powers aren't scary, because the character in question has oily skin and is young which means that MisterBibs could beat him up because he's older. Therefore it's not a good villain.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 20, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Craig was the guard who got mind tricked yeah? He was just a guard, Phasma is a named character in a badass new storm trooper suit we haven't seen yet, shes not going to die without some serious development in 8, although it would be pretty fun if they got a got actor in just to kill them off instantly imo.
Well Boba Fett was just a dude in a badass suit who died a hilarious death without being given much development, so it's not like it would be unprecedented.

They gave him more development in the prequel trilogy than he ever got in the original trilogy and that was loving stupid and unnecessary.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Well Boba Fett was just a dude in a badass suit who died a hilarious death without being given much development, so it's not like it would be unprecedented.

They gave him more development in the prequel trilogy than he ever got in the original trilogy and that was loving stupid and unnecessary.

It's been a long time since I saw the other movies but the way Boba is handled vs Phasma is completely different. Phasma is an important part of a main characters back story and former life, Bobas just a bounty hunter.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Also, I had to look up the word "ableist" but how in the gently caress can anyone consider a genetic deformity NOT an aberration from the norm?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Stop being a idiot retard

Why are slurs necessary to you?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's been a long time since I saw the other movies but the way Boba is handled vs Phasma is completely different. Phasma is an important part of a main characters back story and former life, Bobas just a bounty hunter.
Wait, did they ever say in the movie that Phasma was the one who personally took Finn away from his family as a child and trained him to fight? Because I just assumed that she was just the current commander of the platoon he was in.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jivjov posted:

That was a Craig's request though, if I understand it correctly. They didn't seek him out for casting.

I'd be surprised if they even paid him. Strikes me like it was a "I wanna be in star wars!" situation.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Overall, film's good but I'm disappointed it wasn't more self contained. Star Wars was self contained because who knew it would be popular, Phantom Menace has some foreshadowing but also tells a complete story in one movie. This feels like it was made safe in the knowledge that there would be sequels.

Some of the new characters get shortchanged as a result, notably Lupita Nyong'o's. Like, she's some kind of sage, but not like Yoda, also she owns a bar? What archetype are we aiming at here?

Similarly I feel like we're missing out on just what went wrong after Endor. Obviously there were still going to be people loyal to the Empire, but what enabled them, who's this Snoke guy, where are they getting all this cool star-destroying stuff?

Also it's kinda disappointing that after however long this is supposed to be they haven't really come up with any new ship designs beyond "slightly different X-Wings" and "slightly different Tie Fighters".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Caros posted:

I'd be surprised if they even paid him. Strikes me like it was a "I wanna be in star wars!" situation.
Simon Pegg was in there too. And Nigel Godrich (producer of Radiohead albums and member of Atoms For Peace) and comedian Judah Friedlander. I assume they're all people who really wanted to be in a Star Wars movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Well Manicured Man posted:

If the chemistry between Finn, Rey, and Poe hadn't been so great, Kylo would have been hands-down my favorite part of the movie :allears:

When Poe and Finn find out one other is alive after their TIE fighter crash, that was the bro-est loving moment and I loved every second of it. "That's my jacket" Finn starts to take it off "No, no keep it. It suits you." loving :allears: If I had one complaint about TFA, it's that I wanted to see way, way more of Poe and Finn together.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

When Poe and Finn find out one other is alive after their TIE fighter crash, that was the bro-est loving moment and I loved every second of it. "That's my jacket" Finn starts to take it off "No, no keep it. It suits you." loving :allears: If I had one complaint about TFA, it's that I wanted to see way, way more of Poe and Finn together.
I think the moment I liked even more than that was Rey and Finn escaping Jakku in the Falcon, and once they're in the clear, them meeting up and gleefully asking each other how the hell they just did that. :allears:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

I have to say, I loved how Kylo kept punching himself in the side after getting shot there by Chewie during his fight with Finn and Rey. Like, "gently caress YOU, PAIN, STOP GETTING IN MY WAY!" It's just such a Kylo Ren thing to do, something really silly that a brooding teenager would definitely think is TOTALLY BADASS, only the person doing it is powerful and murderous enough to still be a threat to the heroes.
Huh? I thought that was some Dark Side poo poo, like "I AM USING THIS PAIN!!!!".

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm reminded why I never go to the theater. There was a guy sitting behind me who was commenting on stuff through out the whole movie. It was mostly saying, "Aw, poo poo," literally anytime anything even moderately exciting happened, or was introducing characters incorrectly (Keelo Ren, 3P-CO, R2-BB, Captain Fantasia), but would occassionally just turn into him narrating what was happening on screen "Oh he she force tricked him and he dropped his gun. Now she's going to escape." "R2D2 woke up, now they're bringing the map together"

Do you know if he was there with a blind person? A classmate of mine from high school was blind and a friend of his would take him to the theater and then describe to him anything happening on screen that couldn't be derived through audio.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

jivjov posted:

Why are slurs necessary to you?

Stop dude, some of your posts are good and you have okay opinions about TFA but you need to realize you are on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Huh? I thought that was some Dark Side poo poo, like "I AM USING THIS PAIN!!!!".

I mean, it might be, but punching your wounds out of frustration/spite seems like a pretty Kylo thing to do.

teagone posted:

• Locked thread