Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

teagone posted:

Well poo poo, apparently Ewan McGregor recorded a line of dialogue that plays during Rey's flash(Force)back. He yells "Rey!" I heard Yoda, but it never occurred to me that Ewan had a bit there too. gently caress. Source is Obi-Wan's voice actor https://twitter.com/JATactor/status/678299784621350912

Is this true? Not a spoiler really but I wonder if we'll see any force ghosts ever again. Obi-Wan and Anakin would be awful but I could accept Yoda if it's done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Tadpole
Jan 23, 2004

Do you think it would have been a worthwhile choice to put Captain Phasma in the role of the Stormtrooper with the electric baton? She could've been incapacitated much like how it went down in the actual scene, but it would've given that extra amount of depth the character required,

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is this true? Not a spoiler really but I wonder if we'll see any force ghosts ever again. Obi-Wan and Anakin would be awful but I could accept Yoda if it's done right.

Obi-Wan's ghost already called out Rey's name when she was having her vision. Kylo Ren implied he had achieved a similar sort of communion with Anakin. The setup has been done.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The Force Ghost thing is one aspect of Star Wars I could do without.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Wax Tadpole posted:

Do you think it would have been a worthwhile choice to put Captain Phasma in the role of the Stormtrooper with the electric baton? She could've been incapacitated much like how it went down in the actual scene, but it would've given that extra amount of depth the character required,

Ehh, nah. It helps show the First Order forces are a bit more competent in general.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wax Tadpole posted:

Nah, I kind of like that scene as is. Just let there be a handful of baddasses out there mixed in with the cannon fodder, make the universe a bit bigger than our heroes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I do like that one Stormtrooper is all "Oh, you think you're a Jedi or something, all right let's go"

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
boy i can't wait until TRAITOR! 'trooper has a 8000 word article on Wookiepedia

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aaronicon posted:

every word is just "badass"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bongo Bill posted:

Obi-Wan's ghost already called out Rey's name when she was having her vision. Kylo Ren implied he had achieved a similar sort of communion with Anakin. The setup has been done.

I mean as an actual character walking and talking a la Obi-Wan in V and VI.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aaronicon posted:

'There once was a stormtrooper with the biggest dick in the galaxy..."

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, did they ever say in the movie that Phasma was the one who personally took Finn away from his family as a child and trained him to fight? Because I just assumed that she was just the current commander of the platoon he was in.

I don't know anything about the first bit but definitely the second. Boba was just some bounty hunter, Phasma is more involved character in Finns life.

jivjov posted:

Why are slurs necessary to you?

stop being such a whingey little baby and people won't make fun of you hth

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

Hey CelticPredator, I called the theater today and asked them if they were going to be giving away posters at the premiere tomorrow night, and i'm pretty shocked that they said no. Instead, they're selling some theater-themed Star Wars t-shirt for 20 bucks.

This is the first IMAX blockbuster that hasn't had it's own IMAX-specific poster handout in ages. When I bought the tickets back in October, I apparently incorrectly assumed they'd be giving away a poster, because they ALWAYS do. Even The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man 3 had it's own IMAX poster. Go figure.

So I figured it out!

If you go see the movie at IMAX starting tomorrow until the 10th of January, you can get a poster.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

jivjov posted:

Why are slurs necessary to you?

Fight the good fight, jivjov.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CelticPredator posted:

So I figured it out!

If you go see the movie at IMAX starting tomorrow until the 10th of January, you can get a poster.

Why would they do that

Edit before I even post this its for loving money so they can get the best Sunday and Monday openings too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's a different poster every week.

Which is hilarious to me because there are people who will see Star Wars that many times willingly.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

well why not posted:

It's really weird that 'Force Powers' are categorised so heavily. Force abilities are so, so nebulous in the films, but outside of that it's all Force Push this, Force Pull That, Mind Trick this, Magic Missile That.
One of the previews/commercials before the pre-movie trailers at my theater was something for google.com/starwars where they had the person googling light and dark side Force powers and going through all the different listed powers. It was a little annoying and it was hard to put my finger on why. I guess it was for this very reason.

Wild Horses posted:

I missed variety too. Especially when they went on a real bombing run and forgot to bring iconic fighters like Y-wings, B-wings and so on. Everything can be explained away, but just TIEs vs X-wings was a bit too tidy for me. I did however like the love they gave the TIE during the first escape, you could feel it boosting away, almost making it ...until they crash
This reminds me, can someone who has the visual dictionary or other companion materials explain whether they upgraded TIE Fighters since the fall of the Empire? When Poe was telling Finn about the TIE's weaponry he mentioned missiles and magnetic projectors and that triggered my :spergin: pretty hard since OG TIEs only have laser cannons.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Raxivace posted:

Fight the good fight, jivjov.

He's right. Using the "R" word is pathetic, and you are a bigot if you think otherwise.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

stop being such a whingey little baby and people won't make fun of you hth

Stop using slurs and people will stop pointing out that you're using slurs.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The TIE Fighter that Poe and Finn steal is a special forces TIE Fighter, so it is different from the original trilogy and regular sequel trilogy TIE Fighters.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Guy A. Person posted:

He's right. Using the "R" word is pathetic, and you are a bigot if you think otherwise.

To be fair, he did call someone a oval office, it's one of the reason why he is a joke in the wii u thread

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I too, get mad, when people use the word "retard". The word used to opress and insult minorities for decades, its just as meaningful and hurtful as words such as fag or friend of the family.

Oh wait.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't mind the final wipe but man was Rey and Luke awkwardly silently face acting and then just holding pose pretty goofy for me. Obviously not like, a Vader No moment or anything though.
Is Mark Hamill a good actor? I don't ask that to be rude, im honestly curious. I'm not talking batman cartoons, I just never saw him in anything outside the OT and I wonder if the old cast really has the chops left. Harrison was his old grumpy self but at least he's free now. I really didn't think Carrie Fisher was doing that well (there's a lot of good will/free pass from the nostalgia and just the sheer "look it's our old buddies again!" but looking past it...) and I wonder if Mark can like, carry a major role in a film in 2015.
I think Harrison did a fine enough job actually, maybe because he knew he'd finally be free of this poo poo with this one, but honestly other than him Chewbacca was the most emotive/expressive actor of the returning cast. Dude's made some major progress! :lol:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that Mark Hamill is a much better actor now than he was 30 years ago.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I too, get mad, when people use the word "retard". The word used to opress and insult minorities for decades, its just as meaningful and hurtful as words such as fag or friend of the family.

Oh wait.

GBS 2.0 does it again.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I didn't mind the final wipe but man was Rey and Luke awkwardly silently face acting and then just holding pose pretty goofy for me. Obviously not like, a Vader No moment or anything though.
Is Mark Hamill a good actor? I don't ask that to be rude, im honestly curious. I'm not talking batman cartoons, I just never saw him in anything outside the OT and I wonder if the old cast really has the chops left. Harrison was his old grumpy self but at least he's free now. I really didn't think Carrie Fisher was doing that well (there's a lot of good will/free pass from the nostalgia and just the sheer "look it's our old buddies again!" but looking past it...) and I wonder if Mark can like, carry a major role in a film in 2015.
I think Harrison did a fine enough job actually, maybe because he knew he'd finally be free of this poo poo with this one, but honestly other than him Chewbacca was the most emotive/expressive actor of the returning cast. Dude's made some major progress! :lol:

I'm sure Hamill's gonna do fine. He was a great voice actor and that affects your ability to act live more than you'd think.

Edit: Realized that was a spoiler.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I think that Mark Hamill is a much better actor now than he was 30 years ago.
You raise a great point actually, I guess it's just me not having seen the OT in a while and all of them being dreamy enough to make up for any inadequacies back then :swoon:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Liked it, need more time to decide how I feel about it.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

You raise a great point actually, I guess it's just me not having seen the OT in a while and all of them being dreamy enough to make up for any inadequacies back then :swoon:

The manga is actually still going from the 80s. Hope the writer doesn't die.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 20, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Liked it, need more time to decide how I feel about it.
YOU HAVE UNTIL THE SUN RUNS OUT TO DECIDE

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I'm sure Mark Hamiil's been calling Ewan McGregor for months now and swapping notes on doing Sir Alec Guiness impersonations. Last live-action thing I saw him in was the new Flash series, and I don't remember him being bad in that. I'm sure he'll be fine considering he's probably not going to do much other than emote, offer sage wisdom, and probably just force-wave Kylo into a puddle at some point.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Lord posted:

GBS 2.0 does it again.

experiencing the real world has done it again*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This is not the place for this discussion.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Yeah it was pretty established in the EU in general and the awesome 90's TIE Fighter that at least the more advanced TIEs routinely carried missiles/torpedoes. Makes sense that 30 years on the standard TIEs would fit them too now.

But here comes the :sperg: to end all autism:

I get that Abrams & Co. came down with sequelitis working on this thing, who wouldn't--it's loving STAR WARS--but the sequel escalation here got out of hand. It was pretty explicit with the scene of "Your Death Star was that big? Well mine IS THIS BIG!"

It was never made clear whether Starkiller Base was hyperspace jumping to its targets like the Death Star or just firing an FTL beam weapon but either way it brings up some sperg-inspiring plot holes. Either the not-Empire can hyperspace entire planets, at which point they hyperspace every planet with RebellionResistance presence into the nearest star or they hyperspace planets into each other, all with the push of a button.

Or they can destroy any planet/star at any place, from anywhere, with the push of a button. My theory is that this entire trilogy past the point Starkiller went live is just Finn's dying dream as his brain gets cooked by an instakill from the other side of the galaxy

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hazo posted:

This reminds me, can someone who has the visual dictionary or other companion materials explain whether they upgraded TIE Fighters since the fall of the Empire? When Poe was telling Finn about the TIE's weaponry he mentioned missiles and magnetic projectors and that triggered my :spergin: pretty hard since OG TIEs only have laser cannons.

It's a new shielded fighter called the TIE/fo, and the new X-wing is a T-70, but according to the internet the one they stole is a TIE/sf, an uprated TIE/fo reserved for special forces, with two seats, enhanced sensors and life support, and a turret and missile launcher on top of the normal laser cannons

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Aaronicon posted:

I'm sure Mark Hamiil's been calling Ewan McGregor for months now and swapping notes on doing Sir Alec Guiness impersonations. Last live-action thing I saw him in was the new Flash series, and I don't remember him being bad in that. I'm sure he'll be fine considering he's probably not going to do much other than emote, offer sage wisdom, and probably just force-wave Kylo into a puddle at some point.
I guess they're all tainted by the prequels but I wouldn't mind dudes like Ewan getting some love in future SW movies somehow. Let's get a movie about whatever the gently caress he was doing between 3 and 4 just so we can get bearded badass Jedi Master Ewan in non-lovely not-Lucas-helmed SW movies. I just feel sorry for some of the cool names that wanted to be in Star Wars movies but ended up being in the prequels. It's too late for Christopher Lee :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Aaronicon posted:

I'm now picturing Kylo Ren as a melted T-1000.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

kaworu posted:

But if FYAD's forum title is a real spoiler it's going to annoy the gently caress out of me and everyone who posts in the same subforums as me will likely breathe a sigh of relief because it'll probably be the final straw in convincing me to stop posting in places that are even peripheral to such bastions of stupidity and pointlessness as FYAD/GBS

I'm glad you're leaving the forums too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would be surprised if Hayden Christensen's ghosty blueness does not grace this trilogy at some point. Anakin's legacy is kind of important to the stuff that's happening.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I would be surprised if this trilogy directly references the prequels in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I would be surprised if Hayden Christensen's ghosty blueness does not grace this trilogy at some point. Anakin's legacy is kind of important to the stuff that's happening.
Can't they just use the old guy ghost? Or is that now forever verboten because of George's changes to the OT or w/e
I'd accept it if it were Hayden playing Stephen Glass the Force Ghost

• Locked thread