Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

TheMaestroso posted:

And do what with it, exactly? Finn knows jack poo poo about flying ships, and Rey knows the Falcon inside and out (she clearly spent a lot of time learning about it, despite not knowing it was THE famous ship).

I'm not saying that you have most of the movie as is, and then Finn gets the Falcon. You change a few scenes earlier to build a bond between Chewbacca and Finn, and at the end, Chewie goes "I'm taking Finn as my co-pilot" and no one is gonna argue with the Wookie.

Basically:

-Switch who know Wookese between Rey and Finn. (Just put in an EU thing that Finn took training in non-standard languages. He also won't be a garbageman in this version.)
-Include a scene of Chewie and Finn bonding over something. (Movie needed more scenes of characters just interacting with each other anyways. Cut or shorten some of the big fancy fights and include these. We can also add a Leia and Rey scene to not make their hug so out of nowhere.)
-At the end, Chewie says he'll teach Finn what he needs to know about flying the Falcon. After Finn heals up, they both take Rey to Luke.

Most of the film goes unchanged otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Slo-Tek posted:

The first movie had travel time as a major component (because samurai and WWII movies had travel time as a major component), that this one didn't was jarring as hell to me.

You got JJ Abrams'd

He teleported to Kronos!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

korusan posted:

That pollutes the ambiguity of the scene. The purpose is to leave us wondering and talking about it for two years so we see the next one.

That's just being amiguous for ambiguity's sake. We all know Rey's gonna be a Jedi, don't try to be coy about it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
What's going to be interesting in the next episode is what tempts Rey to the dark side. I'm sure it'll be something like Luke and his academy being somehow partly responsible for her abandonment on Jakku, and her parent's death or disappearance. Either that, or she's the child of someone on the dark side that will tempt her with what she's been missing most of her life.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's kinda hosed up that Finn got kidnapped as a child and forced to be a Stormtrooper and wasn't even given a loving name. And he isn't even a clone.

Well, they are the evil Empire and all.

Also, who the gently caress is Snoke and what's his deal? So many unanswered questions left hanging in this one.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Muffin Rhino posted:

Same!

The tie-in literature has always described lightsabers as really scary, to the point that it's suicide for a non-force user to try and wield one. I wish Finn had turned Anakin's saber on and totally sucked with it, it was disappointing that he held his own against stormtroopers and Kylo so easily.

At least when he first started using it he wasn't really using it like a Jedi would, he was mostly stabbing with it instead of swinging it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

In retrospect, maybe going with Death Star v3 was a little too retread-y. You could have hit the same beats with the good guys finding out the First Order has most of the map at the same time Rey gets captured and taken to the FO HQ, then the resistance sends in the Finn-Han-Chewie strike team to infiltrate the base and rescue Rey while the xwings attack the shipbuilding plants.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.
If I could change the ending scene...

Luke gives Rey a tired/sad look, camera close-ups on his right hand reaching to accept the lightsaber, cue credits. No grainy helicopter fly-by.

We all know Luke is going to help. Even if he's playing the grey jedi schtick at the start of VIII, there's no way he doesn't train/personally confront the First Order with Rey.

This would totally get me hyped for Luke and Rey training montages.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Speaking of how good the lightsaber fights were, holy poo poo did I love the sound of Kylo's saber. That thing was a loving growling animal and I loved it.

I think people are giving Finn and Rey too much credit with the saber. Finn swung the thing around like a stick on fire, and lost every fight he started with it. Rey spent most of her fight on the defensive and running away, and it wasn't until she trusted in the Force, remembering that Kylo was afraid of her being stronger than him, that helped her to stalemate it. But holy poo poo did I prefer all of those fights to anything in the prequel. Way more emotion and power behind everything, something we cared about actually at stake, and just the sheer lethality of swinging a frozen blaster bolt at everything was just super loving well done.

e: I don't mind that Finn is particularly great at anything or has 'nothing' at the end of this film, apart from a hell of a Space Obamacare bill. It's his arc; he had no identity and personality before this film and his journey will be about finding out about the kind of person he actually is. It wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the next one, he abandons the Resistance and is probably tempted to go back to his old life or something. Have an ordinary person be the one tempted by the 'dark side' instead.

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 20, 2015

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

At least when he first started using it he wasn't really using it like a Jedi would, he was mostly stabbing with it instead of swinging it.

And even then, the stabbing wasn't the clean, effortless jabs we saw in the prequels. They put their weight into it like you would with an actual sword.Compare the way Qui-Gon got killed and how Finn stabbed that one Stormtrooper.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Muffin Rhino posted:

Same!

The tie-in literature has always described lightsabers as really scary, to the point that it's suicide for a non-force user to try and wield one. I wish Finn had turned Anakin's saber on and totally sucked with it, it was disappointing that he held his own against stormtroopers and Kylo so easily.

The EU stuff mentions that sabers have a strong gyroscopic effect that makes them impossible for newbies to use safely. They nailed blade of loving plasma sound and graphical effects, but didn't deliver on the weapon of incredible skill and control aspect imo. I did like the brutality of the saber fights though, they felt kinetic and deadly.

None of the EU matters anymore. Plus Han used one on the tauntaun one time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

From a few pages back but...

Auron posted:

It wasn't left open at all, not one bit, you are digging into something that is not there. Han thought he was close to having his son back, and then he was tricked. Its pretty simple. Yes he ha an expression of pain because he was just betrayed when he thought he had his son back, and yes Kylo was satisfied because he fulfilled his destiny.

That "Han turned on the lightsaber" theory is totally retarded, but the symbolism there was as subtle as a ton of bricks. The light from the opened door was shining right on them as Kylo seemed to be considering going back with Han and handing over the saber, then as the Starkiller finished draining the sun and the light went out, he tightened his grip on the saber and killed him.

It's a pretty obvious metaphor for Kylo fighting between his two sides and making a drastic decision.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

korusan posted:

That pollutes the ambiguity of the scene. The purpose is to leave us wondering and talking about it for two years so we see the next one.

Only two years? They're not spacing these ones out by three years?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So anyone else hope Daniel Craig's storm trooper somehow ends up in every single one of these movies and basically become the series Johnny from Metal Gear

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

raditts posted:

It's not even two years. Episode VIII comes out in May 26, 2017.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

raditts posted:

More like fifteen months.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

mr.capps posted:

So anyone else hope Daniel Craig's storm trooper somehow ends up in every single one of these movies and basically become the series Johnny from Metal Gear

If Craigtrooper is Johnny, does that have to make Rey Meryl?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kuroyama posted:

I'm not saying that you have most of the movie as is, and then Finn gets the Falcon. You change a few scenes earlier to build a bond between Chewbacca and Finn, and at the end, Chewie goes "I'm taking Finn as my co-pilot" and no one is gonna argue with the Wookie.

Basically:

-Switch who know Wookese between Rey and Finn. (Just put in an EU thing that Finn took training in non-standard languages. He also won't be a garbageman in this version.)
-Include a scene of Chewie and Finn bonding over something. (Movie needed more scenes of characters just interacting with each other anyways. Cut or shorten some of the big fancy fights and include these. We can also add a Leia and Rey scene to not make their hug so out of nowhere.)
-At the end, Chewie says he'll teach Finn what he needs to know about flying the Falcon. After Finn heals up, they both take Rey to Luke.

Most of the film goes unchanged otherwise.

I think having them split up makes sense, because the film shows that they're both going on a hero's journey on their own terms (e.g. they each have a very clear "refusal of the call" moment for different reasons during the Maz Kanata portion of the movie). The paths of their journey often cross, but are heading in distinct directions. Having them both go see Luke is a bit strange to me, because Finn would really only be there for Rey, not for Luke or even himself. I think it's clear the filmmakers intend for the two of them to be doing their own things before meeting up again.

Also, there's a matter of urgency to finding Luke, so waiting for Finn to heal would hamper that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh god there's so much media about this out there right now and it's so hard to read after the Star Wars threads in Cine D that actually go into the symbolism and cinematography. So many middle-aged nerds congratulating each other on hating the prequels and not even seeing them, am I right guys, I didn't even watch star wars III before my work job sent me to review star wars hehe we are professionals now let's talk about how we care more about Star Wars than George Lucas.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh god there's so much media about this out there right now and it's so hard to read after the Star Wars threads in Cine D that actually go into the symbolism and cinematography. So many middle-aged nerds congratulating each other on hating the prequels and not even seeing them, am I right guys, I didn't even watch star wars III before my work job sent me to review star wars hehe we are professionals now let's talk about how we care more about Star Wars than George Lucas.

Yeah it's kind of odd that to some of these people liking all seven of the Star Wars movies and thinking they're good (At different things) is some kind of controversial opinion.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

euphronius posted:

R2d2 needed to be awoken by the ... Force.

As an aside my left field theory is that Leia has fallen to the dark side and sent han to his death to help Ren. Maybe not. She does know a lot about Snokie.

http://imgur.com/f2WN6ZK

Carrie Fischer posted this to twitter and deleted it not long after. That's Michael Kaplan, costume designer.
I don't know if its supposed to be a joke that she looks like a dick but if so, why did he put material on the drawings?

Viller fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 20, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Max Landis and some other idiots are super upset because they claim Rey is a Mary Sue. Which is funny, because 1- they don't seem to understand the concept of Mary Sue and reduce it to just being hyper-competent, and 2- its a funny thing to claim by movie 7 of a franchise built around naturally hyper-competent people.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiritus Nox posted:

If Craigtrooper is Johnny, does that have to make Rey Meryl?

I know who can be Snake:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kuroyama posted:

Movie was cool and good. Not flawless, but I'm still hyped for VIII.

My biggest gripe is that they should have gone all the way on the Finn/Rey switcheroo. "Oh, you thought this trilogy was gonna be about the black jedi and girl Han Solo? Psych! It's girl jedi and black Han Solo!" But then Rey gets to be a jedi and keep the Falcon. It's what puts Rey over the top on Mary Sue-ishness. One or the other, you can't have both.

Also, I'm a little bummed out that they don't really have something for Finn to do coming out of the end. I know that he's presumably gonna stay with the resistance, but Rey's going off to learn the ways of the jedi, and he's just sleeping in the infirmary. Come on, let him have the Falcon at least.

If anyone is taking ownership of the Falcon, I'm pretty sure it would be Chewie.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Viller posted:

http://imgur.com/f2WN6ZK

Carrie Fischer posted this to twitter and deleted it not long after. That's Michael Kaplan, costume designer.
I don't know if its supposed to be a joke that she looks like a dick but if so, why did he put material on the drawings?

It's a phallus

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Raxivace posted:

It's not even two years. Episode VIII comes out in May 26, 2017.

And Star Wars Rogue One is like November or December next year. We are going to be bombarded with Star Wars for the next 2 1/2 years - 3 years.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Is the black dude a jedi, or just crazy and willing to go at a muthafuck with a laser sword?

Why does Ren have an English accent when his helmet is on?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

raditts posted:

If anyone is taking ownership of the Falcon, I'm pretty sure it would be Chewie.

Dude doesn't even get a medal, he isn't getting a ship.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

jfood posted:

Is the black dude a jedi, or just crazy and willing to go at a muthafuck with a laser sword?

The latter, I'm pretty sure.

quote:

Why did Vader? He's trying desperately to be like ol granddad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jfood posted:

Finn is not a Jedi. He was kidnapped at a very young age and forced to become a storm trooper.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite part was Kylo throwing his temper tantrum in the empty interrogation room and the pair of stormtroopers in the hall deciding to nope the gently caress out. :allears:

It's pretty much what any sane person would do when you hear the next room down has some raging evil guy with force choke powers.

jfood posted:

Maybe when you get a mask in the star wars universe you can pick a voice filter as a fancy add-on. Then you can be like "ooh, I like the british sounding one"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I said come in! posted:

And Star Wars Rogue One is like November or December next year. We are going to be bombarded with Star Wars for the next 2 1/2 years - 3 years.

Today is just another day in a Star Wars without end.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Finn is right where he needs to be, with Poe so they can have more Space Buddy adventures. Plus they got BB-8 with them. That'll be fun to watch.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

TheMaestroso posted:

I think having them split up makes sense, because the film shows that they're both going on a hero's journey on their own terms (e.g. they each have a very clear "refusal of the call" moment for different reasons during the Maz Kanata portion of the movie). The paths of their journey often cross, but are heading in distinct directions. Having them both go see Luke is a bit strange to me, because Finn would really only be there for Rey, not for Luke or even himself. I think it's clear the filmmakers intend for the two of them to be doing their own things before meeting up again.

Also, there's a matter of urgency to finding Luke, so waiting for Finn to heal would hamper that.

I didn't put it right. Finn and Chewie would drop Rey off, then go their own way. I'm not gonna pretend that Rey isn't gonna learn how to be a Jedi, and in the film proper, Chewie's just sitting around in the Falcon at the end. My changes would just add Finn, and then 5-10 minutes after the cut to credits, Rey calls the Falcon to say she'll be staying with Luke. The two are set to start the next leg of the personal journeys with their guide for it. Luke for Rey, Chewie for Finn. Finn doesn't need to be 100% healed for this, just awake.

Mainly I wanted Finn to be doing more at the end than taking a nap.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder what the deal with holographic Snopes is. JJ Abrams doesn't really do subtle, so there must be a reason. Was the Emperor a hologram a lot in the original trilogy? I forget. If he was, it's probably that. If he wasn't, it's probably a twist of some kind. I think someone in this very thread said maybe Snopes is a ghost pretending to be a hologram, but there are also other possibilities. Size, for instance. Maybe Snopes is crazy tiny. Like, Thumbelina size. Or maybe Cairo Len is powerfully insane and there is no Snopes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

IanTheM posted:

What's going to be interesting in the next episode is what tempts Rey to the dark side. I'm sure it'll be something like Luke and his academy being somehow partly responsible for her abandonment on Jakku, and her parent's death or disappearance. Either that, or she's the child of someone on the dark side that will tempt her with what she's been missing most of her life.

I like the idea floated in this thread that Rey takes being good at everything too seriously and has the opposite arc of Luke. Luke nearly falls because he's obsessed with being buddy buddy with everyone and protecting them, while Rey nearly falls because she believes her peers are a liability or a risk. Would be a nice contrast and would give a Yoda-Luke sort of friction to Luke and Rey's relationship.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Tunahead posted:

I wonder what the deal with holographic Snopes is. JJ Abrams doesn't really do subtle, so there must be a reason. Was the Emperor a hologram a lot in the original trilogy? I forget. If he was, it's probably that. If he wasn't, it's probably a twist of some kind. I think someone in this very thread said maybe Snopes is a ghost pretending to be a hologram, but there are also other possibilities. Size, for instance. Maybe Snopes is crazy tiny. Like, Thumbelina size. Or maybe Cairo Len is powerfully insane and there is no Snopes.

Yeah, we don't see the Emperor in person in the original trilogy until the last movie, so that's probably it. It'd be cool if it was like the corpse of Palpatine floating in a tank somewhere, and the hologram is an in-universe CGI projection or something.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Saw it with the kid today, loved it, but there's one thing that's bugging the poo poo out of me.

The Imperial Remnant becomes the First Order, with a mission to eliminate the last Jedi...ok, I seriously just got why they're called "the First Order"...and the Rebellion is now the Resistance. But the Resistance reports to the Republic? There are two separate entities?

Or is the Resistance the Republic's black ops team devoted to opposing Snoke and the First Order? I hate to say it, but I kinda needed some Lucas-style political speak to make sense of how the galaxy is organized now.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Saw it with the kid today, loved it, but there's one thing that's bugging the poo poo out of me.

The Imperial Remnant becomes the First Order, with a mission to eliminate the last Jedi...ok, I seriously just got why they're called "the First Order"...and the Rebellion is now the Resistance. But the Resistance reports to the Republic? There are two separate entities?

Or is the Resistance the Republic's black ops team devoted to opposing Snoke and the First Order? I hate to say it, but I kinda needed some Lucas-style political speak to make sense of how the galaxy is organized now.

The Republic is the group of planets and powers that were once under the rule of the Empire, but which were freed after the OT. Remember that in the PT we see the Empire arose when Palpatine tricked his way into being democratically elected as leader of the previous Republic.

It seems that at the start of this new film the new Republic and the First Order are in a state of shaky peace, but the resumption of open conflict is inevitable. The Resistance are a group of people within the Republic who recognize that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It's pretty simple: The Republic and what's left of the Empire are in a state of cold war. The Republic bankrolls the Resistance to help twist the knife with plausible deniability.

• Locked thread