Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Somebody hasn't read their Clausewitz if he thinks soldiers aren't political. :laugh:

Also I'd argue that both being a women and being a soldier are harder then being an entitled hack on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The dude lost me by the time he got to point 3 and point 4 made me go through the looking glass hard. I've read the article and I can't tell you what it's about, only that it's lovely. It's like a stream-of-conciousness MRA speech and I cannot follow it or get the point it's trying to make.

I think he's just a white dude trying to convince internet denizens that he's not gay but the red-heeled soldiers turn him on and he's ashamed of that. It's pretty sad really.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 20, 2015

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SSNeoman posted:

The dude lost me by the time he got to point 3 and point 4 made me go through the looking glass hard. I've read the article and I can't tell you what it's about, only that it's lovely. It's like a stream-of-conciousness MRA speech and I cannot follow it or get the point it's trying to make.

I think he's just a white dude trying to convince internet denizens that he's not gay but the red-heeled soldiers turn him on and he's ashamed of that. It's pretty sad really.

Gavin McInnes is just a really lovely person who fervently believes in :biotruths: and acts like women are destroying themselves by trying to emulate men. The only thing separating him from black enlightenment is that he has money and married and if he had neither of those 2 things he'd be another Davis Aurini.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Defenestration posted:

Are troops deserve unconditional support unless they're Bowe Bergdahl. Not entirely sure what the objection in the first macro is but it seems like they're trying to have it both ways.

For starters, Bowe Bergdahl actually exists, unlike the soldiers that the POW/MIA groups claim are still be held by the tricksy sneaky slopes Vietnamese

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Defenestration posted:

10 Reasons Why “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” is Wrong
by Gavin McInnes

Gavin McInnes is a poo poo bag of a human being.

I've met plenty of conservative women and men even that would find his point of view abhorant. His point of view is so debunked and ancient that only someone from the Victorian era would find it the least bit relevant.

I thought we settled this poo poo a long time a go. Women should be allowed to work and do what ever the hell they want. People like Gavin McInnes should be shouted down, then tarred/feathered, then ran out of town. gently caress him, gently caress Breitbart and gently caress MRA's.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Goatman Sacks posted:

For starters, Bowe Bergdahl actually exists, unlike the soldiers that the POW/MIA groups claim are still be held by the tricksy sneaky slopes Vietnamese

Look at this guy who's never seen Rambo: First Blood Part II.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Court-marshall.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Posted by someone on my Facebook who is pretty apolitical, but does have to deal with the Florida public school system on a daily basis. So I can kind of understand her frustration with her own state's implementation of common core maybe.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That car looks cool though

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

ErIog posted:

Posted by someone on my Facebook who is pretty apolitical, but does have to deal with the Florida public school system on a daily basis. So I can kind of understand her frustration with her own state's implementation of common core maybe.

Every teacher is getting or has been cross-trained to 'teach gifted kids' so they don't have to pay teachers specifically for gifted classes. In principle, it just means making teacher give everyone 'extra credit' that's really hard but really only exists to keep the gifted kids busy so they don't act out. And deaf/blind kids are stuffed into classes with developmentally disabled or special needs kids with mental disabilities

Florida is up it's own rear end in a top hat with implementation

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That car appears to break known rules about geometry space in ways that were previously considered impossible, and it appears to be mobile and mass-produced. Clearly this feat required the bleeding edge of education. A Good Macro.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The county I grew up in just had a massive freakout because the homework for a world geography class included an Islamic calligraphy exercise. The text to be copied happened to be the shahada. By freakout, I mean that first there were concerns about the schools being safe, and then they closed every public school across the county on Friday.

Area mother says:

quote:

I am preparing to confront the county on this issue of the Muslim indoctrination taking place here in an Augusta county school. This evil has been cloked in the form of multiculturism. My child was given the creed of the Islam faith to copy. This creed that is translated ; There is no god but Allah. Mohammed was Allah's messenger. This is recited during their pledge to the Islamic faith. This creed is connected to Jihad in that it is the chant that is shouted while beheading those of Christian faith, or people of the cross as being called by ISIS. Christian girls in this class were called to volunteer to adorn the apparal of Muslim women. Unknowingly these children did so. Also unknowingly they were instructed to denounce our Lord by copying this creed of Islam.
Many times in my life I have asked the Lord why am I who I am? Why am I so often confronted with wrong and have the unquenchable desire to speak out. God makes us who we are for a reason. He perfects us through fire to do His work for His kingdom. I have failed many times in his assignments. I have apologized for who I am many times. Not today. I will not apologize for my anointment from the Lord. Am I qualified to handle something like this? I do have some qualifications in my skill set however, I never thought I would be in this position. God doesn't call the qualified he qualifies the called. I am confident in Him because I know He goes before me. He will be there. The only thing I have ever done right in my life has been to obey. Blessed be the name of THE LORD. THE LORD OF LORDS AND THE KING OF KINGS. THERE IS POWER IN HIS NAME AND HE IS WORTHY OF ALL PRAISE.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
As a Muslim I kind of agree with them here. You really shouldn't be putting religion into schools at all and not doing enough research to know thats the Shahadda is a bit ignorant. I'd feel a bit annoyed if my child was made to colour in Gothic script with DEUS VULT or something.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Halloween Jack posted:

The county I grew up in just had a massive freakout because the homework for a world geography class included an Islamic calligraphy exercise. The text to be copied happened to be the shahada. By freakout, I mean that first there were concerns about the schools being safe, and then they closed every public school across the county on Friday.

Area mother says:

http://www.whsv.com/content/news/Some-Riverheads-Alumni-Disappointed-by-Outrage-Over-Assignment-362736571.html

The second half of the video is pretty galling

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Worst Muslim posted:

As a Muslim I kind of agree with them here. You really shouldn't be putting religion into schools at all and not doing enough research to know thats the Shahadda is a bit ignorant. I'd feel a bit annoyed if my child was made to colour in Gothic script with DEUS VULT or something.
Would you post long, angry, utterly delusional and paranoid screeds, and throw such a fit that they shut the schools down and the county police were on the lookout for...Idunno, a terrorist attack I guess?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Common core math wasn't in my purview, but I was involved in the literacy standards implementation within STEM. What I learned from that experience is that everyone has an opinion, though they are grossly misinformed. I have a feeling people's critique of math common core is much the same. The crazy nonsense math no parent can understand is probably just an effort to teach students number-sense and understand why and how math works. Nevertheless, my poor math teacher friends are overwhelmed and the scores suck. I just have a feeling common core math is failing because of a deficit in support and not because the pedagogy is unsound. But here I am being one of those people with an uniformed opinion about something.

Anyway, ELA common core is so much like how people view Obamacare and the ACA. I talk to teachers about common core and I will always have a crab apple group that is having none of it. I share a lesson and just talk about science literacy and they love it. I can't even imagine working with parents on this if this is what the teachers act like.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Halloween Jack posted:

Would you post long, angry, utterly delusional and paranoid screeds, and throw such a fit that they shut the schools down and the county police were on the lookout for...Idunno, a terrorist attack I guess?

Just makes me a bit uncomfortable is all, considering I was raised with this phrase being seen as The Most Important Thing Ever. :blush:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The shahada was an exceptionally stupid choice on multiple fronts even though the general idea is sound. It's so tone-deaf that I'd suspect it was intentional, but honestly it's much more likely that the curriculum took the first fancy arabic phrase they found. Cock-up before conspiracy, etc...

Closing down the schools in the entire loving county definetly qualifies as an overreaction.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SSNeoman posted:

Closing down the schools in the entire loving county definetly qualifies as an overreaction.

look there was the potential for Communism Liebralism Terrorism Satanism Islamanian Influences In Are Skewls, they acted decisively and since The Big Event didn't happen obviously they foiled the plot by doing that $$$$$prais jeesu bles

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

look there was the potential for Communism Liebralism Terrorism Satanism Islamanian Influences In Are Skewls, they acted decisively and since The Big Event didn't happen obviously they foiled the plot by doing that $$$$$prais jeesu bles

Sad thing is that I could easily see the mom in that story saying something like this. It's like she wanted to fill out all the outraged white American stereotypes in the book, both in her views and in her looks.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bast Relief posted:

Common core math wasn't in my purview, but I was involved in the literacy standards implementation within STEM. What I learned from that experience is that everyone has an opinion, though they are grossly misinformed.

Parents get angry when they can't do their kid's homework.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think it's more that the way they teach math these days is different than the way they taught it 20 years ago. Like I was helping my niece with some homework that involved long division and the way she was taught to do it was like an alien language to me. We got to the same answer but the routes to get there were completely different.

I think some of the backlash is, in part, people wondering why it's so different now and getting angry/confused over it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Has it not occurred to any of these people to ask their kid to teach them the new math? Jesus not only do you get to learn a new method, but having your kid teach you something helps them exhibit mastery over the subject. Seems win-win to me.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Trivia posted:

Has it not occurred to any of these people to ask their kid to teach them the new math? Jesus not only do you get to learn a new method, but having your kid teach you something helps them exhibit mastery over the subject. Seems win-win to me.

Or they can teach it to themselves and check it later. I'm sure there's a ton of tutorial resources on youtube, blogs, the kids' own workbooks, the state's education websites, etc.

That may be a bit difficult though for a lot of people. 'Reading math' isn't a skill that's exercised a lot and inferring steps can take a very long while for people who are used to doing calculations very particular ways.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Trivia posted:

Many parents would probably take offense at the idea of their offspring teaching them something, like it's not how things are supposed to work.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Parents get angry when they can't do their kid's homework.

It's like, that's why you have teachers. Can't teach your kids everything.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
But if I can't lord my superiority over my children what's the point?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeah if they're so smart why am I the one who drives them to activities, cooks food for them and provides them with a rent-free living space? Waitaminute...

Well played, children.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In high school I was in some stupid AP class where freshman and sophomores both took the same English class. Whatever. Anyway our teacher was a favorite of the sophomores (they had had her last year) but said teacher despised that she had to teach freshmen with her pets. One of the first assignments we had was, for reasons I never got, an illustrated Genesis booklet. As in the first days of creation. On Day 1 God created this, on day 2 God created this, etc.

I, still being a peabrain mushhead kid, did the assignment. But come class the next day the teacher was in tears and yelled at the class because "someone, and I won't name who, but I thought we were all adults here, brought their parents into my teaching methods." Turns out a lot of the freshmen were disgusted by the assignment and had found out that we were really making these booklets for the teacher's Sunday School class. Had I known that, yeah, I would have refused too.

It was a class divide, the sophomores insisting the freshmen were being lazy, and the freshmen refusing to do any kind of religious schoolwork unless ALL religions had their inclusion. For the rest of the school year the teacher was extra bitchy to all the freshmen (even to the idiots like me who did the drat work) and would constantly insult that half of the class. "Well if this doesn't OFFEND ANYONE, OPEN YOUR BOOKS TO PAGE 100."

This was in loving 1996. I don't think the teacher ever understood what she did wrong or why, but I can imagine her now in school and it's a scary thought. gently caress, she might have even led the PC Agenda crowd.

Yesterday I paid my Xmas visit to my dad and stepmom. Things went well with the little poo poo smalltalk everyone can manage not to gently caress up, until stepmom's son, my stepbrother I think I've met three times before, came over. We managed the cute smalltalk and light work talk until someone brought up some shooting. And it devolved quickly to how we should turn the MidEast into a parking lot, how the US is the only country who invites terrorists in and all the refugees are armed young men and....I put up with it for 15 minutes before I left.

Fun fact: my stepmom is on disability because of some virus she picked up overseas that leaves her exhausted and barely able to stay awake for 6 hours a day. Anyone else, my dad would scream is a welfare whore, but his wife is DIFFERENT. She caught a disease, you know! On some tropical timeshare house they own in the Bahamas. And I wonder why my heart bleeds for them.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

The Worst Muslim posted:

Just makes me a bit uncomfortable is all, considering I was raised with this phrase being seen as The Most Important Thing Ever. :blush:

Real quick since I currently live there and worked for the schools for a few years: the lesson was a worksheet given as part of one of the required sections of world geography on the major world religions. It was absolutely an appropriate selection to showcase an example of complex Islamic calligraphy. Ultimately the county announced they'd change the calligraphy example but the section on Islam will remain.

The schools weren't shut down due to fears of Islamic terrorism. They were shut down because death threats were made against the teacher and other staff by people outside the area after the story issued appeared on Rush Limbaugh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There are plenty of examples of complex Arabic calligraphy that can be used to demonstrate how imagery is made from writing within Islam that aren't an incredibly important article of faith though. I can see where The Worst Muslim is coming from with putting that on a worksheet that's probably going to get graded, stuck in a filing cabinet, and then thrown in the trash a few months down the line.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

"This is political correctness gone too far! How dare those freshmen impoz on her religus freedums!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trivia posted:

Most people just use a calculator for simple math though.

Like the old way of doing division I can probably do if I think about it, but I don't really care enough because it's either mostly instinctual at this point or it's too annoying to just do by yourself.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

computer parts posted:

Most people just use a calculator for simple math though.

Like the old way of doing division I can probably do if I think about it, but I don't really care enough because it's either mostly instinctual at this point or it's too annoying to just do by yourself.

Common core is actually totally badass. The problem is that the last doctrine used numbers, in early years, as beans, marbles (non-divisible) or some other tiny countable trinket and this is great for teaching addiction, subtraction and even division (6 apples, 2 hungry kids) the problem here is, if you're not using remainders, numbers must become mystical to divide or multiply them before geometry is taught. As my nuclear power school instructor taught, "there is no such thing as loving magic!" when referring to the "magic boxes" we used to make poo poo we didn't understand (yet) make some level of sense, such as, say, a rectifier before we were taught what the gently caress a rectifier does, we'd just say it's a magic box that turns alternating current into DC. That being said, it's important for magic boxes, thingamajigs and other placeholder elements in education to exist as little as possible. Common core uses very simple basic geometry (a concept even an uneducated child can understand: if you split a carrot into 3 equal parts, you have 3 thirds of a carrot and then we can play with them) in the way the countable trinkets were used before. It's less magic, less "because I said so" and more intuitive application of numbers.

Sorry for going totally off-topic I just needed to get my love for common core out of my system. I wish they used it on me when I was in school.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think it's more that the way they teach math these days is different than the way they taught it 20 years ago. Like I was helping my niece with some homework that involved long division and the way she was taught to do it was like an alien language to me. We got to the same answer but the routes to get there were completely different.

I think some of the backlash is, in part, people wondering why it's so different now and getting angry/confused over it.

Khan Academy is pretty decent at looking at processes with a bit more depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTbIw2iR8WU

Just watched this now; obviously I haven't done long division in over a decade and remember the process, but I didn't stop to think through how the process makes any mathematical sense; it's just a tool to get the right answer. You bring down the numbers and all that jazz because that's how it's done. The video explains a bit more with a nice visual example, and the whole process as a result makes more sense; you could even think of the problem in other ways now too, like so:

176 / 8

Rather than long dividing, let's multiply up in factors of 10 until we get the area of that rectangle, and then we know the other side.

8 * 10 = 80
8 * 20 = 160
8 * 30 = 240 - Too high

8 * 20 is pretty drat close though, let's add 8's until we hit our goal. And viola, 8 * 22 = 176. That process is probably easier to do mentally than long division for me.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Mo_Steel posted:

Khan Academy is pretty decent at looking at processes with a bit more depth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTbIw2iR8WU

Just watched this now; obviously I haven't done long division in over a decade and remember the process, but I didn't stop to think through how the process makes any mathematical sense; it's just a tool to get the right answer. You bring down the numbers and all that jazz because that's how it's done. The video explains a bit more with a nice visual example, and the whole process as a result makes more sense; you could even think of the problem in other ways now too, like so:

176 / 8

Rather than long dividing, let's multiply up in factors of 10 until we get the area of that rectangle, and then we know the other side.

8 * 10 = 80
8 * 20 = 160
8 * 30 = 240 - Too high

8 * 20 is pretty drat close though, let's add 8's until we hit our goal. And viola, 8 * 22 = 176. That process is probably easier to do mentally than long division for me.

You could also start by reexpressing 8 as 2^3. Then the problem becomes 'cut 176 in half 3 times.'

I like common core because of its emphasis on playing with the numbers to see what comes out as long as you keep in mind the rules of arithmetic. The time allotted to teach that and deadlines and such, especially for states like Florida, dont jive well with it

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

pillsburysoldier posted:

You could also start by reexpressing 8 as 2^3. Then the problem becomes 'cut 176 in half 3 times.'

:eyepop:

Ok now I'm really looking forward to my kid getting taught this poo poo so I can learn it too.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I remember somewhere, I think it was the Hacker's Manifesto, or whatever, where the writer complained about being made to show his work when he could do it in his head.

It would seem like the newer method of teaching math kind of fits in with whatever his method was of solving the problem.

I know I certainly couldn't come up with some of the answers in my head based on how I was taught.

It also reminds me about those 'Do math REALLY FAST!' videos they used to sell on shows like 'Amazing Discoveries' infomercials. From what I remember, the examples they used on the show looked a lot like how these new math lessons are trying to teach kids to work with numbers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
387 * 2013 = 779,031

Here's a fun problem that's way more fun to solve creatively than with the algorithm.

You can rewrite the problem this way:

(400 - 13) * (2000 + 13)
Apply FOIL

(400 * 2000) - (13 * 2000) + (400 * 13) - (13*13)

800000 - 26000 + 5200 - 169
77400 + 531

Not as fast as a calculator of course, but by throwing in an algebra concept way earlier than normal, you can turn it into an interesting problem.
The best part is that when they do hit that point in algebra, it'll be an old tool that they're applying in a new way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trivia posted:

people really, really hate feeling like their kids are smarter/better educated than they are. you'd think parents would be thrilled, but