Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I really want a blooper reel where Mark Hamill does a dramatic turn around/hood lift, pauses dramatically, and then breaks into a big old Joker laugh. Smash cut to black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
I'm paraphrasing because it was at the beginning of the film and it caught me off guard...

Kylo Ren: "Where is (the map)?"
Poe: "What's that? Sorry, it's hard to understand you with, y'know, all this (gestures to his face)"

From the first scene of the movie, Poe was already a winner in my book.

RE the Important Guy That We'll Recognize being Rey's "Old Ben", sent to watch over her and give her the map to her father, Luke, when she's ready:

quote:

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where and old ally has discovered a clue to Luke's whereabouts...
I don't think he had it the whole time and was just waiting to give it to Rey like "Here you go! Say hi to your dad for me!". Plus, if that was his plan, why would he give it to Poe?

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 20, 2015

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Resistance being the Blackwater of the Star Wars universe could yield some interesting story ideas to explore.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I really want a blooper reel where Mark Hamill does a dramatic turn around/hood lift, pauses dramatically, and then breaks into a big old Joker laugh. Smash cut to black.

They should've had him turn around to show his face all white and melted like Palpatine's.

Mezzanine posted:

From the first scene of the movie, Poe was already a winner in my book.

He could carry a whole film.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

I said come in! posted:

And Star Wars Rogue One is like November or December next year. We are going to be bombarded with Star Wars for the next 2 1/2 years - 3 years.

Lol 2 ½-3 years? More like rest of our lives if you don't think Disney is going to milk this like the marvel franchise.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's pretty simple: The Republic and what's left of the Empire are in a state of cold war. The Republic bankrolls the Resistance to help twist the knife with plausible deniability.

Ok, that works until either there's a Blu-Ray feature that explains it or Episode VIII does.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Better. He turns around, and....

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
My understanding was the Resistance was a part of the New Republic that refused to accept the peace that came after the Empire either fell or fell apart into various warring factions. Like, the New Republic was like 'leave them alone and let us just concentrate on rebuilding the galaxy' but the Resistance wouldn't rest until every last Imperial remnant was arrested or executed. They're essentially a paramilitary group doing some black-op hush-hush poo poo that officially the Republic must denounce but I'm sure there'd be plenty of sympathisers bankrolling them. Leia'd be their big face of public legitimacy but I can totally see her doing some pretty drat shady poo poo on the side.

It would be interesting to see if there were any other Imperial offshoots that might still be swanning around the galaxy, having turf wars of legitimacy against the First Order. And Snoke being behind all of them, and the reason he appears in hologram is so that he looks like someone different to each of them.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, that works until either there's a Blu-Ray feature that explains it or Episode VIII does.

Better. He turns around, and....

More like

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Spoeank posted:

More like

Yes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems like the Republic is sick of all these Star Wars, so they provide support to this hard core of guys who do elite commando strikes but aren't really backing them up with main force.

I wonder how come the First Order is specifically after the Jedi, though. I mean, Luke is the only one left. Even if he was able to find some middle-aged Padawans who laid low and trained hard, it'd be generations before the Jedi were anything like they used to be. I guess Luke theoretically has the power to be a big swinging dictator, but this seems like it would make the First Order sympathetic to at least a significant segment of the viewer base, and while we may want enemies who can be understood, Star Wars doesn't really seem like a great vehicle for the nuanced exploration of pre-emptive strikes against the supernatural.

So why is Snoke after Luke?

You know, I bet Snoke was one of those trainees too. I bet you it'll turn out that Luke or one of the other Padawans hosed his face up.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Nessus posted:

It seems like the Republic is sick of all these Star Wars, so they provide support to this hard core of guys who do elite commando strikes but aren't really backing them up with main force.

I wonder how come the First Order is specifically after the Jedi, though. I mean, Luke is the only one left. Even if he was able to find some middle-aged Padawans who laid low and trained hard, it'd be generations before the Jedi were anything like they used to be. I guess Luke theoretically has the power to be a big swinging dictator, but this seems like it would make the First Order sympathetic to at least a significant segment of the viewer base, and while we may want enemies who can be understood, Star Wars doesn't really seem like a great vehicle for the nuanced exploration of pre-emptive strikes against the supernatural.

So why is Snoke after Luke?

You know, I bet Snoke was one of those trainees too. I bet you it'll turn out that Luke or one of the other Padawans hosed his face up.

I think it's just Kylo who is after Luke. Doesn't that one general say something to Kylo about not letting his personal vendetta get in the way of his responsibilities to the Order when Kylo demands that they bring back BB8 alive so that he can get his hands on the map? Seems like the Order was perfectly ok with the map being destroyed just so the resistance couldn't find Skywalker

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh, and I don't know if anyone caught this, but during Rey's vision, Maz's temple becomes this.

Which is cool.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rape Stink posted:

I think it's just Kylo who is after Luke. Doesn't that one general say something to Kylo about not letting his personal vendetta get in the way of his responsibilities to the Order when Kylo demands that they bring back BB8 alive?

The opening crawl says the First Order is after Luke. They figure that as long as he's in the picture, they can never truly re-take the galaxy.

CelticPredator posted:

Oh, and I don't know if anyone caught this, but during Rey's vision, Maz's temple becomes this.

Which is cool.

It was obvious as day. Not sure who could have missed that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Luke is probably the most powerful individual in the galaxy, depending on what Snoke is. He was the key figure in destroying the first Death Star, defeating Vader and the Emperor, and having the Empire fall.

Snoke and Kylo likely want the same thing as they think Vader did, to turn him to the Dark Side or to kill him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If you knew a guy destroyed the first death star and then killed the Emperor of the Empire or at least brought back the dead body of the baddest motherfucker who ever lived you would be looking for him too when a new threat reared it's head. Luke Skywalker is the only jedi in the galaxy so yeah it makes sense they'd be searching for him for all kinds of reasons. He's super loving important badass.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Jose Oquendo posted:

The opening crawl says the First Order is after Luke. They figure that as long as he's in the picture, they can never truly re-take the galaxy.

true but then why were they ok with the map being destroyed? Seems like they are more concerned with not letting the resistance find Skywalker than they are with finding Skywalker themselves

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well, I wanted to post shot then because it's dope.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rape Stink posted:

true but then why were they ok with the map being destroyed? Seems like they are more concerned with not letting the resistance find Skywalker than they are with finding Skywalker themselves

Don't overthink it. Their plan is to find Luke. Failing that, prevent the Resistance from doing so.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Unless they're hoping to get him on their side, it seems like the best thing to do is let him rot. Or, actually, I guess if they know where he is planet-wise they can just blow it up with the Starkiller, huh.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Kylo probably wants to find Luke so he can sign his super limited edition holographic foil trading cards.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Don't overthink it. Their plan is to find Luke. Failing that, prevent the Resistance from doing so.

Ok, but I think that finding Luke is more important to Kylo than it is to the rest of the Order. Kylo wants to find Luke and kill him or possibly turn him in order to fulfill Vader's vision, while the First Order seems a-ok with Luke remaining in exile. Their first priority seems to be making sure that he just doesn't join the resistance however they can

This is total speculation, but I don't think the Order was after Luke until they discovered that the resistance had that map.

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 20, 2015

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

No need to be a jerk about it. Not all of us have memorized every corridor in Star Wars. I knew it was a meaningful corridor, but I didn't know for sure it was Bespin until that guy posted what he did, so I'm thankful he did.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rape Stink posted:

Ok, but I think that finding Luke is more important to Kylo than it is to the rest of the Order. Kylo wants to find Luke and kill him or possibly turn him in order to fulfill Vader's vision, while the First Order seems a-ok with Luke remaining in exile. Their first priority seems to be making sure that he just doesn't join the resistance however they can

This is total speculation, but I don't think the Order was after Luke until they discovered that the resistance had that map.

Here's the relevant part from the opening crawl. Interpret it however you want:

Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen
from the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

Eiba posted:

No need to be a jerk about it. Not all of us have memorized every corridor in Star Wars. I knew it was a meaningful corridor, but I didn't know for sure it was Bespin until that guy posted what he did, so I'm thankful he did.

What kind of Star Wars fan are you :v:

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 20, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MisterBibs posted:

I doubt he literally decided to literally abandon his weapon; it was more of a "dude, no, I'm not killing you" thing.

He is wearing it when he returns from torching Darth Vader when joining the yub nubbing party at the end of RofJ

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mezzanine posted:

RE the Important Guy That We'll Recognize being Rey's "Old Ben", sent to watch over her and give her the map to her father, Luke, when she's ready:

I don't think he had it the whole time and was just waiting to give it to Rey like "Here you go! Say hi to your dad for me!". Plus, if that was his plan, why would he give it to Poe?

I think it was more of a "Break Glass In Case of Sith" thing. Kind of "Hey if things go to poo poo and you need to hunt me down, here's part of a star map. Get it to Leia" That little fob probably has something that will bring R2 out a sleep state so they can complete the map. As it does when BB-8 finally gets to the Resistance base (either that, or it's the presence of Rey that triggers it. But I think it's the presence of the star map that does it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Max Landis has spoken!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rey is JJ Abrams self-insert? That seems unlikely.

It seems more likely Max Landis does not know what a Mary Sue is.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Star Wars is a franchise about shockingly competent people with abandonment issues managing to lead terrible lives; I'm not sure where he's coming from there. She's good at things, but she has The Force, which is a proven buff to basically being great at everything even when you're untrained.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Jose Oquendo posted:

FIRST ORDER has risen
has been destroyed.

ahh ok, I guess they were after him. Just seems odd that they'd be ok with the map being destroyed if they were so hell bent on finding and killing him. Anyway, I've only seen it once so far, kind of hard to remember every word of the opening crawl since it's followed by 2 1/2 hours of non textual exposition.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jose Oquendo posted:

FIRST ORDER has risen
has been destroyed.

What kind of Star Wars fan are you :v:

And I'm interpreting the title "First Order" as representative of Palpatine's first order as an open Sith lord, Order 66.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

weekly font posted:

Mary Sue has come to essentially mean "female character I dislike".

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

weekly font posted:

She's a Mary Sue in that she's better at everything than everyone, like a fan making up a Dragonball Z character whose power level has to be higher than all the original ones. I don't think it hurt the movie at all, though. It fits the established idea that the Force isn't analogous to physical strength, its about a deeper understanding.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Aaronicon posted:

Star Wars is a franchise about shockingly competent people with abandonment issues managing to lead terrible lives; I'm not sure where he's coming from there. She's good at things, but she has The Force, which is a proven buff to basically being great at everything even when you're untrained.

He seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a Mary Sue is. Which is an odd trait for a screenwriter.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The political situation is a mess and I wish there were a scene that sort of explained what was going on.

My general impression is that Hux was pretty much a regional governor. Snoke didn't seem too concerned about his failure. We get this idea that the FO is spreading through the galaxy, but is the Republic actively fighting it? The Resistance seems sort of small.

Rey's leveling up was sort of odd too. Not quite sure what to make of her character.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got back from a screening. I thought it was a good movie, B+. Disney played it really safe in worshiping ANH. Wish there was a little more originality to the film...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

He seems to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a Mary Sue is. Which is an odd trait for a screenwriter.

weekly font posted:

A Mary Sue doesn't have to be a self-insert.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Who the hell is Max Landis?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
^^John Landis' over-opinionated kind-of-a-dick son.

Vile posted:

Disney played it really safe in worshiping ANH. Wish there was a little more originality to the film...

Agreed, but after the mess that was the prequel trilogy, you can't blame them or Abrams for taking the safe road. The man's initials are literally "J.J.", if he'd hosed this up he would have been branded "Jar Jar Abrams" for the rest of his career.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Raxivace posted:

I don't know but I checked his twitter and he said within the last couple of hours that Leia is as badass as Ripley so he may just be pissed that Rey is a more ~badass woman~ than Leia Organa ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Raxivace posted:

He writes terrible screenplays.

• Locked thread