Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nasgate posted:

If you guys want to know futility, try fighting the steel golem by the witch, as a magical archer, with one ranged pawn that's never fought one before. Just the one in the tree took 20 minutes.
How do you even hurt them as an MA? I never bothered trying to fight a metal golem since I was never a bow-using class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Kiggles posted:

Doubt it's changed other than removal of the option to buy RC outright. I don't know anyone who ever used it. You get enough RC when playing in Offline mode to compensate, and can pull in literally millions of RC if someone rents your pawn for a couple of Daimon kills.

I always made sure to have goon pawns around when I was grinding Daimon. Goons doing that for me is the only reason I was able to get the best gear and I still had to savescum the post-Daimon chests for crystals.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

How do you even hurt them as an MA? I never bothered trying to fight a metal golem since I was never a bow-using class.

Have a pawn that does physical damage. That's why you're allowed three.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Then watch as the pawn gets distracted by butterflies for half an hour.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Last time I tried to take out that medallion in the tree as a mage it literally did take around half an hour to coax my archer pawn into destroying it. I'd lure the golem all the way across the arena, sprint back while hoping the thing's pathing hosed up for awhile, and pray that my pawn would get off a couple piss-weak basic attacks on the target. Once the golem arrives on the scene you have to repeat the process because your pawn will do nothing but fire at it in futility, completely ignoring the medallion.

Relying on pawns to do anything is the worst and if I run into enemies that I can't effectively kill with the class I'm currently playing, I tend to just skip them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Just swap your own class for that fight to like an assassin or something

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

weird, my post wasn't showing up

anyway so I don't waste this space, I assume we have to be steam friends to share pawns? Should we get a little something together or are we waiting until closer to release?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

PC Trailer shows 60fps gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZgttQ8jFjk

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

weird, my post wasn't showing up

anyway so I don't waste this space, I assume we have to be steam friends to share pawns? Should we get a little something together or are we waiting until closer to release?

It will probably work like the consoles: you can rent anyone's pawn but friends are free.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hmmgghh this game. I'm going to play it on hard mode and then download first mod that triples spawns. I want to fight two dozen goblins at once.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
That Trailer is amazing. Is this how Star Wars fans feel? They are really making an effort re-releasing an "ancient" game.

e: Wow there is a lengthy discussion on Steam by people who won't buy the game becausethe Japanese VO is disabled and they don't like the English voices. Of course all these people have anime avatars. The poor souls.

sicDaniel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 18, 2015

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sicDaniel posted:

That Trailer is amazing. Is this how Star Wars fans feel? They are really making an effort re-releasing an "ancient" game.

e: Wow there is a lengthy discussion on Steam by people who won't buy the game becausethe Japanese VO is disabled and they don't like the English voices. Of course all these people have anime avatars. The poor souls.

Those guys are loving stupid. How do they expect to win the game if they can't understand the strategizing of routing them in a single charge?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bakalakadaka posted:

It will probably work like the consoles: you can rent anyone's pawn but friends are free.

That's what I meant. We getting a spreadsheet going or some kind of steam group?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Babe Magnet posted:

That's what I meant. We getting a spreadsheet going or some kind of steam group?

I would make a steam group. But you probably still have to friend people for them to be free.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah you're going to have to friend people, still a group could be used to get people together. i'd hold off until nearer release though no rush

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah we still got like a month, no big deal, just curious

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Apperantly Press has access to the PC version already. Austin Walker of Giant Bomb has a PC build.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah they've had access for a couple of weeks now, guess they're just getting around to playing it now

here's the player stats: https://steamdb.info/app/367500/graphs/

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Blacktoll posted:

Hmmgghh this game. I'm going to play it on hard mode and then download first mod that triples spawns. I want to fight two dozen goblins at once.

Remember the Ladder mod map from Jedi Outcast? That's what I want. Just a never-ending series of escalating encounters while Smack My Bitch Up Into Free bumps on a continuous loop until me and all my pawns die horrible deaths.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 18, 2015

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Babe Magnet posted:

We getting a spreadsheet going or some kind of steam group?

I whipped up a Steam Group for Dragon's Dogma, it should make life easier seeing who and where all those friend invites come from later down the road.

Just post or PM me your Steam Profile for an invite, or just poke me on Steam. Getting to many pokes, just PM or Post in this thread for an invite.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 27, 2015

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Im_Special posted:

I whipped up a Steam Group for Dragon's Dogma, it should make life easier seeing who and where all those friend invites come from later down the road.

Just post or PM me your Steam Profile for an invite, or just poke me on Steam.

PMed you. Hoping to recreate Mage Pawn success to the tune of millions of RC.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
PM'd as well, going to remake Snivers when this hits since a lot of goons seemed to like him and his goblin antics.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Im_Special posted:

Just post or PM me your Steam Profile for an invite, or just poke me on Steam.

Should have named it Dangoons.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Honestly, with all the great pawn banter this game gives you to work with, that and the wind is pushing me Dangan "jokes", etc, etc, picking a name was really hard. :(

I'm also really bad with Paint, but at least with this name I was able to whip up a little graphic that was easy enough for me to do.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

paco650 posted:

PMed you. Hoping to recreate Mage Pawn success to the tune of millions of RC.

Well being a mage helps, but your pawn being sexy or a freak matters much more in getting those sweet hires.

Also I joined them there steam group.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I really love how the rift has the most unflattering lighting imaginable, so all of the 'sexy' pawns look at least slightly monstrous.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

I really love how the rift has the most unflattering lighting imaginable, so all of the 'sexy' pawns look at least slightly monstrous.

Well they are interdimesional travelers that can not die. Sounds like monsters to me.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Dang, I see there's activity on this thread and remember that Dragon's Dogma was quirky fun and might be worth a replay and now I know there's a PC release impending I'm torn about whether I should wait and get it again where everyone else is playing. Although admittedly no-one ever rented out my pawn because I dressed them sensibly. :(

Are there any clues so far about how beefy a PC is required to run the port at decent settings? My current favoured "console" for game playing is the lowest-end Alienware Alpha i3 I have hooked up to my TV, but since my Xbox 360 is right next to it albeit gathering dust the question is how much better will the PC version be in my case and is it worth buying again. I don't care about the fullest quality, just noticeably better than the Xbox 360 version.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i loving love coils of light
i love it!!

edit:
here's a cello version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVMh_9LiqTg

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Dang, I see there's activity on this thread and remember that Dragon's Dogma was quirky fun and might be worth a replay and now I know there's a PC release impending I'm torn about whether I should wait and get it again where everyone else is playing. Although admittedly no-one ever rented out my pawn because I dressed them sensibly. :(

Are there any clues so far about how beefy a PC is required to run the port at decent settings? My current favoured "console" for game playing is the lowest-end Alienware Alpha i3 I have hooked up to my TV, but since my Xbox 360 is right next to it albeit gathering dust the question is how much better will the PC version be in my case and is it worth buying again. I don't care about the fullest quality, just noticeably better than the Xbox 360 version.

Official FAQ posted:

Q) Will the game run on my laptop?
A) While the game does not officially support laptops, the game should run well on modern laptop systems equipped with a dedicated graphics chip. We’ve played DDDA on late model laptops such as the Alienware 14/15/17 which came equipped with GTX 960M, 970M, and 980M, and they appear to run well at 1080p/60fps (960M may require some adjustment to LOD/draw distance settings to achieve a solid 60fps). wbacon has briefly played DDDA on a 3.5 years old ASUS Ultrabook laptop with a Core i7 + GT 650M chip where ‘Medium’ settings seems to be the sweet spot for running the game at 1080p with a reasonably stable 30fps (or 720p/60 with ‘Low’ settings). Laptops without a dedicated graphics chip will have to further pare down graphics and resolution settings to get the game to run at a playable frame rate. Anecdotally speaking, the game seems to run okay on the aforementioned ASUS laptop when forced to run on Intel HD3000 Integrated Graphics at 720p, 30fps cap, and all other graphics settings set to low. Compatibility and performance will vary depending on other factors so there’s no guarantee; at the end of the day, you’re on your own when it comes to laptops. Capcom does not warrant nor officially provide technical support for PCs that doesn’t meet the official system requirement. If you’re still unsure, search the forums or ask other forum members who may have already tried the game on a similarly spec’d laptop.

If you're gonna get PC version I recommend purchasing it from GreenmanGaming. They currently got a 20% off code you can use on it, and they mind have a better one on their website sometime between now and when it comes out (best I've seen form these general % off codes is 30%).

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 20, 2015

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Trapezium Dave posted:

According to Steam, even the recommended requirements are still pretty low. You'll have more than enough GPU, but perhaps lacking a little in the CPU department. However, who knows if it will actually use more than 2 threads.

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5 660 CPU or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Radeon HD 5870 or equivalent
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 22 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX-compatible sound card or onboard audio chip

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or equivalent
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 22 GB available space

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Friend of mine is so excited to get to try this on PC after hearing so much about it and not owning an X-BOX. I am really excited to hear how he reacts to fighting Grigori and the Big Moment after.

Grigori is also a strong contender for my favorite boss ever.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
i had a level 90 sorceror pawn with me when i fought grigori. he had high maelstrom.

the fight was over in like a minute

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean the entire scene of the chase to the ballista, the running fight with him along the tower walls, his kickass voice and lines, and the awesome music. It's exactly how I felt like fighting a big, epic dragon should feel.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

You'll have more than enough GPU, but perhaps lacking a little in the CPU department. However, who knows if it will actually use more than 2 threads.
Yeah the CPU requirement is what I'm uncertain about. So far nothing I've thrown at the Alienware Alpha i3 seems too bad but I don't play graphically demanding games that often. I'm assuming they've optimised it enough so it's better than the Xbox 360, or at least it's tweakable so I can balance it to my tastes.

edit: thanks for both replies, it sounds like it should be fine.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 20, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I mean the entire scene of the chase to the ballista, the running fight with him along the tower walls, his kickass voice and lines, and the awesome music. It's exactly how I felt like fighting a big, epic dragon should feel.

Yah. It's certainly the best fight vs. a dragon in a game. It really does a good job of making him seem like the bringer of the apocalypse he's built up to be. ...Unless you oneshot him with the Maker's Finger.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Yah. It's certainly the best fight vs. a dragon in a game. It really does a good job of making him seem like the bringer of the apocalypse he's built up to be. ...Unless you oneshot him with the Maker's Finger.
to be fair the maker's finger still falls in line with being cool enough to make the fight super memorable if you don't use it when he first shows up- you get this kinda black arrow of bard deal with it.
it's kinda hosed you get it just as a purchase rather than having a quest because the weight behind that single use is so drat cool, especially with the unique tentacle-y effects it's got

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fereydun posted:

i loving love coils of light
i love it!!

edit:
here's a cello version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVMh_9LiqTg
This is a good vid.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Dragon's Dogma has one theme and it isn't playable on a cello. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013
Thanks for the invite Im_Special! I'm so excited for this game, especially seeing as the requirements aren't going to be too taxing on my 2 year old build.
Can't wait to clock hundreds of hours on Steam as well as PS3. :allears:

Is anyone attached enough to their old Arisen to remake them on PC? I don't think I can let go of my huge Amazonian warrior woman.

• Locked thread