Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Friar Zucchini posted:

I'm still wondering, the dude that got his Audi cut up at the quick oil change place, if he said he's working underneath it a lot then why the gently caress did he take it there to begin with?

Well if you click the included link... posted:

I was looking through Groupon and happened over a $49 deal to get a full synthetic oil change at the Valvoline Instant Oil Change place. [edit] Note, I usually do the oil changes myself but its been a little hectic lately. We are selling the house, things are packed up, yada, yada. So I figured, why not do an added 5K interval change at such a cheap price and i'm driving around anyways near there. I cant buy the parts that cheap and it's Valvoline so whats to lose right? ...and there is where my mistake lies and what turned into a 4 hour ordeal that involved police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

I'm still wondering, the dude that got his Audi cut up at the quick oil change place, if he said he's working underneath it a lot then why the gently caress did he take it there to begin with?

He was a cheap bastard who saw a deal and thought it would be a good idea to try and save fifty bucks on the most important maintenance to the most expensive part of the car.

e: beaten

VVV I think that what happened to him is beyond the pale, but it also seems like every car nut has a story about how the quick-change places hosed something up, so I dunno. Some nonzero chance of catastrophic errors is the hidden cost of using those places.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 18, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Friar Zucchini posted:

Because sometimes it's not possible (eg few years ago shattered my wrist and changing my own oil that summer was not high on my priority list) and it's not a stretch to assume a store that sells a thing will do said thing correctly.

But I guess not jumping right into victim blaming makes me Hitler or something.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sagebrush posted:

When is "sawing out a piece of the car" an understandable step in changing the oil? Has there ever been a vehicle, built anywhere in the world, at any time in history, where you had to destroy and replace a piece of external cladding as normal engine service procedure?

Who said anything about replacing the part? 99% of people never look under their car anyway so won't notice anything is wrong unless the next place points it out.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I mean you can say the guy got hosed over but groupons are always a huge red flag for quality of service issues and this dude clearly was concerned about his car being taken care of but still took it to a quicky lube place groupon deal in hand.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Man, I could start a whole thread. "tales of working at subaru performance shops"

Please. I've seen some tremendous stories although telling them in public would probably get the people I know in a lot of poo poo.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Please. I've seen some tremendous stories although telling them in public would probably get the people I know in a lot of poo poo.

Then why even post?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Preoptopus posted:

New guy ran the wrong filter home on a 2013 Mazda 6 today. came back 2 hours later on a flatbed with no filter and a seized engine. They are and maybe were friends of the owner too. Tomarrow should be fun.

Did new guy get fired

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

nollij posted:

Just remembered....

So I said gently caress taking my car in so I still brought my wheels/tires to shops to get them mounted/flipped. Magically a day after going to Discount Tire, a $1200 charge appeared on my card from a website I had never heard of. One of their employees stole my card # and my address they had in file. They then waited outside my place for the package to arrive and grabbed it. I filed a complaint on my card the day after the purchase so I got a charge back. Unfortunately, the company was not able to stop their shipping department from sending out the package. The guy even used his real name. GF looked him up in county records and he has quite a few run-ins with law enforcement. Creeped us the gently caress out though that someone was hanging around outside our place.

So before I get back out on the track, definitely going to get myself a manual tire changer. Likely the Roger Kraus one but it is expensive for a manual.

Hope you called the cops. Your credit card will.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

`Nemesis posted:

Did new guy get fired

Nah hes on thin ice tho. In all honestly im glad cause then id be stuck doing all the tires and oil changes.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Every day I see a guy walking up and down the street wearing a batman suit and a signboard promoting a quick lube shop.

I guess that's how the Batmobile lost its wheel.

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 20, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Poor Audi. :( At least the shop took responsibility at the end.

14S4GWM posted:

That might be one of the worst horror stories I have read. I don't know what held you back from beating that guy with a wrench.

StevenStarke posted:

WOW. Just wow. I would have ended up in jail
LMAO. Literal children.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chris Knight posted:

Poor Audi. :( At least the shop took responsibility at the end.

LMAO. Literal children.

On the internet, no one ever use hyperbole.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

On the internet, no one ever use hyperbole.

I will literally beat you with a jail for that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Did their rear window explode from the weight of the water container?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Are we doing comically oversized trailers?

I saw this guy pulled over in the parking lot next to my work a few months ago. That's a 3/4 ton pickup pulling it, too. The cops had to drive it up onto some portable scales to weigh it and it was obvious that it was so back-heavy that there was negative tongue weight. Best part is that one of our delivery drivers said that he passed this guy on the loving highway. 2nd best is the spray painted on TDG "placards."

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Powershift posted:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

1. Best thing that could have happened to that Grand Cherokee.

2. What the hell am I even looking at? It looks like the wheels collapsed under the back of it and the front was joined on to the moving truck by ???

3. Is that container plastic or something? It doesn't look too heavy. The broken hatch window was probably a separate incident.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

:dogbutton:

I have...so many questions.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

:dogbutton:

I have...so many questions.

I belive the answers to your questions are meth, meth, it doesn't turn, north dakota, zip ties, and meth.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

I belive the answers to your questions are meth, meth, it doesn't turn, north dakota, zip ties, and meth.

Yeah that covers just about all of them.

e; you forgot inbreeding.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 20, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

Also uHauls employee towing training manual which is just a picture of a Corolla and Ford Explorer with the word nope circled underneath.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

Also uHauls employee towing training manual which is just a picture of a Corolla and Ford Explorer with the word nope circled underneath.

That's still longer than the hauling portion of their manual.

WHY DID YOU TURN? WHY DID YOU FUCKIN TURN?

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah that covers just about all of them.

e; you forgot inbreeding.

Pretty sure that falls under "north dakota"

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

It is a Mobile Home. I wonder how much of their poo poo is still in there.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 20, 2015

smax
Nov 9, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

Are we doing comically oversized trailers?

I saw this guy pulled over in the parking lot next to my work a few months ago. That's a 3/4 ton pickup pulling it, too. The cops had to drive it up onto some portable scales to weigh it and it was obvious that it was so back-heavy that there was negative tongue weight. Best part is that one of our delivery drivers said that he passed this guy on the loving highway. 2nd best is the spray painted on TDG "placards."

Please tell me that thing didn't actually have gasoline in it.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

Looks like a jobsite office to me..

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Meydey posted:

Back in the mid-90's I took my 78 280z to Sears for a cheap oil change and free brake check. No issues until I jumped in the car to pull away. Drove through the parking lot, and instead of stopping at the 1st stop sign, just kind of rolled through, even though the brake pedal was mashed to the floor. Used the ebrake to fully stop, got out and took a look. Right rear wheel was covered in brake fluid and I could see the springs/pads. Turned the car around carefully and limped back to Sears. Got out and walked into the bay where my car was worked on and my brake drum was sitting just about where the wheel was. Got a free brake job out of it.
tldr, gently caress Sears

Are you red neck comedian wunderkind Ron White?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Powershift posted:

WHY DID YOU TURN? WHY DID YOU FUCKIN TURN?

Pretty sure that falls under "north dakota"

HOW COULD YOU TURN? HOW COULD YOU FUCKIN TURN?
(I guess there are no curves in ND)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DiggityDoink posted:

Surely they just found the trailer by the side of road and backed up the uhaul for a picture. Nobody could be this dense. Right?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Great Beer posted:

Surely they just found the trailer by the side of road and backed up the uhaul for a picture. Nobody could be this dense. Right?

The rear end is hanging down a bit low there, and the front end is definitely sitting up high there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Nope that is a Real Picture, IIRC the NDSP or ND DOT posted the pic originally.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

smax posted:

Please tell me that thing didn't actually have gasoline in it.

Nah, it was empty. Nobody who has the capability to lift a full tank of gas that size would be dumb enough to put it on that trailer. Probably it would just crush it anyway, so ironically that would have been safer because it never would have made it onto the road.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So I discovered yesterday (on ice luckily) that you can in fact turn the electronic parking brake on while still moving.

Was stopping to grab the mail and my brain malfunctioned. I hit the ebrake before actually stopping and the car got really mad about it. I'm surprised it actually let it happen though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I saw this baby at the gas station, mobile hoarder?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd guess they're homeless.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

Nah, it was empty. Nobody who has the capability to lift a full tank of gas that size would be dumb enough to put it on that trailer. Probably it would just crush it anyway, so ironically that would have been safer because it never would have made it onto the road.

Even if it didn't have any liquid in it, if it was full of vapor that thing's a ~20,000 gallon fuel-air bomb.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

veedubfreak posted:

So I discovered yesterday (on ice luckily) that you can in fact turn the electronic parking brake on while still moving.

Was stopping to grab the mail and my brain malfunctioned. I hit the ebrake before actually stopping and the car got really mad about it. I'm surprised it actually let it happen though.

I tried hitting it in the loaner Chrysler 200 I had when my car was in the shop.

It just beeped angrily and said I was going too fast on the display. It wouldn't engage if the car was moving at more than a crawl.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

I'd guess they're homeless.

Indistinguishable from a mobile hoarder. Both are sad.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

I tried hitting it in the loaner Chrysler 200 I had when my car was in the shop.

It just beeped angrily and said I was going too fast on the display. It wouldn't engage if the car was moving at more than a crawl.

I once drove a 2007 Renault Laguna home using nothing but the electronic parking brake after the regular brakes fell off (:v:). So it works on that car.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009