Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

In any sufficiently large group I'd expect a few people to save against it. But, you know, he can just keep doing it until they fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Colonel Cool posted:

In any sufficiently large group I'd expect a few people to save against it. But, you know, he can just keep doing it until they fail.

or, you know

kill 'em

death and destructiooooooon

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Depending on how the council's voting system works, they might not need to dominate everyone, just enough people to get a majority vote.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

W.T. Fits posted:

Depending on how the council's voting system works, they might not need to dominate everyone, just enough people to get a majority vote.

Of course, the demigod only needs to find out that his council is being hosed with by Hel and magic to change his mind. It's because he chooses to respect their wisdom that their voice matters to him.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, Dvalin would have to take the "lawful stupid" joke to a new level to just blindly go along with his oath, without investigating why the elders are suddenly so keen on their own destruction.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I thought domination didn't work too well when asking someone to do something they'd be completely against? Or am I confusing it with some other spell?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Belkar probably wasn't too keen on jumping off the airship, but that didn't seem to be an issue.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And don't you get like lots of saves against domination over a short period of time?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's worth noting that the Northern Pantheon was split 50/50 on destroying the world, even aside from Hel's machinations. If it's going to take a few days to resolve the vote, a whole lot else could kick off aside from whatever Durkon's going to try.

Just for starters, word could leak from one of the three Godsmoots that the Gods are debating destroying the world. Some Dwarven elders, depending on their favored god, might agree with their reasoning on destroying the world even with the consequences of letting Hel get her way. Certainly all the other gods and factions will know the outcome depends on the votes of the Dwarven council and might be just as determined as vampire Durkon to tamper with it.

Why, a few days could even be long enough for Xykon or Redcloak to get involved, after all their Gate plan won't work if the Gods take preemptive action, and the Dark One might catch wind that he's been edged out of the deal (alternatively will appear as a Deus Ex Machina to upset the outcome of the Godsmoot). It'd be a hell of a thing if Roy and co. actually had to join forces with Team Evil to save the world, and might lead to some deeper examining of the question of whether they really should consider destroying it.

I'd like to hear the rest of the Order's opinions on the matter. I suspect V might be tentatively in favor of the "destroy the world" logic.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They can save again with +2 if they're ordered to do something against their nature, but dominate can make a target do anything that's not obviously suicidal.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You would think that "vote for the gods to destroy the world" fell under that heading with not very much wiggle room.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I really want to buy Blood Runs in the Family but Ookoodook has bullshit shipping prices.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I really want to buy Blood Runs in the Family but Ookoodook has bullshit shipping prices.

Buy the gumroad PDFs. Rich has said they did well enough for him to begin work on converting the rest of the books to saleable PDF format, so presumably it's a matter of time and countiued sales.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

ultrafilter posted:

Belkar probably wasn't too keen on jumping off the airship, but that didn't seem to be an issue.

Dominate Person is a will save and wisdom is easily Belkar's worst stat so that's something else to consider.

I'd imagine the ruling council of the Dwarven race would have a good amount of wisdom to go around but then again these are the same guys who declared war against trees so :shrug:.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rygar201 posted:

Buy the gumroad PDFs. Rich has said they did well enough for him to begin work on converting the rest of the books to saleable PDF format, so presumably it's a matter of time and countiued sales.

I'd rather have the physical book to sit next to my other, physical books.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

i need a physical book made of dead trees so i can put it on my bookshelf for my real, non computer friends to come over to see, and then i can grasp it in my gross meat hands and turn the pages like an old man.

l o loving l.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I'd rather have the physical book to sit next to my other, physical books.

Then don't bitch about shipping bro

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Phenotype posted:

i need a physical book made of dead trees so i can put it on my bookshelf for my real, non computer friends to come over to see, and then i can grasp it in my gross meat hands and turn the pages like an old man.

l o loving l.

It's good that we all agree on the optimal way to own a book.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Prehaps buy the pdf and make the image into a book? It won't look as good, but it works.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rygar201 posted:

Then don't bitch about shipping bro

That's quite a non-sequitur.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

l o loving l.

This isn't wrong. I do however find it darkly humourous how owning a book is starting to become a pricely hobby in of itself after a while.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

That's quite a non-sequitur.

If you have to have the physical product, then it seems strange to complain about having to pay to have it shipped to you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Raenir Salazar posted:

This isn't wrong. I do however find it darkly humourous how owning a book is starting to become a pricely hobby in of itself after a while.

That's how it's historically been.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rygar201 posted:

If you have to have the physical product, then it seems strange to complain about having to pay to have it shipped to you.

I'm not complaining about paying to have it shipped, I'm complaining about how much I have to pay to have it shipped. It's a $35 book, and shipping is $15. That's nuts.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

35.95+13.35=49.30 on ookoodook

38.01+3.99 = 42 even on amazon

Praise the lawd, your prayers have been answered

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rygar201 posted:

Not when previous books were available at physical locations. Thats how I got OtOPC and SoD.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not complaining about paying to have it shipped, I'm complaining about how much I have to pay to have it shipped. It's a $35 book, and shipping is $15. That's nuts.
You're complaining about a lousy 15 bucks of shipping? For me the cheapest shipping option is $35. To be fair it is across an ocean and there will probably be some same continent shipping later on, but still. :argh:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

rotinaj posted:

35.95+13.35=49.30 on ookoodook

38.01+3.99 = 42 even on amazon

Praise the lawd, your prayers have been answered

Awesome, I didn't think it would be on Amazon!

Poil posted:

You're complaining about a lousy 15 bucks of shipping? For me the cheapest shipping option is $35. To be fair it is across an ocean and there will probably be some same continent shipping later on, but still. :argh:

It's about proportion, but yes, paying double is even worse.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Poil posted:

$15 is pretty atrocious for shipping one book, actually, yes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Inside the states it probably is, yeah.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Everything is on Amazon.

Everything worth having at least.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I only use them as a last resort since they generally have higher freight costs in my experience.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Is there a thread for Erfworld discussion?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rygar201 posted:

Is there a thread for Erfworld discussion?

No but if you make one I'll post in it. :effort:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if you do make a thread for erfworld put it in the book barn for laffs

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Erfworld has had somethings happen worth talking about recently.

Krilion fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 27, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I want to discuss Erfworld but I don't want to do an effort post OP

:effort:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just binge-read like eight ErfWorld updates.

They were pretty okay. Still laughing at any pretense that you can skip the text updates, though.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Poison Mushroom posted:

I just binge-read like eight ErfWorld updates.

They were pretty okay. Still laughing at any pretense that you can skip the text updates, though.

Thy really are loving required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

I want to discuss Erfworld but I don't want to do an effort post OP

:effort:

So don't, just post the thread with a warning about spoilers and your discussion in the OP. No one cares and the OP gets outdated anyway.