Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Finally came back to try this. Feels about the same as it used to, except less shiny. Somehow unlocked a day of premium that started immediately, which is great except that I'm going to bed and won't be playing tomorrow. So, that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Magnetic North posted:

Finally came back to try this. Feels about the same as it used to, except less shiny. Somehow unlocked a day of premium that started immediately, which is great except that I'm going to bed and won't be playing tomorrow. So, that's nice.

I don't know how but I got another day of premium randomly for shooting dudes. Don't know if it was an achievement a ward or just random bullshit.

Anyway I finally got my 25 cadet bonuses and I like the game well enough. Not sure what to do with all my money though. I followed This build so I have no clue if I can improve or upgrade it any, it works amazingly well and I have enough to buy another non-assault mech to mess with. I do wish I could buy colors though. Anyway my name is Weedgoku Bonerhitler if any of you have wrecked my poo poo and want to laugh about it.
What's the deal with factions by the way?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Nuebot posted:

Anyway my name is Weedgoku Bonerhitler

bwa ha ha I was just in a pub match with you right as I posted that, and I almost added, "btw which of you is WeedGoku BonerHitler"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ShiroIchida posted:

Can I get a reinvite to WoL? IGN is ShiroIchida (that's an capital i not a l).

Are Thunderbolts still great? Looks like they haven't really changed the perks, but all I really remember is they had a bunch of random energy stuff, so the numbers could have gone down and I wouldn't know.

Yeah, they are. The one with 7 MPLs is ridiculous. I'll log on and friend you up for the invite

e: friended everyone I've seen, i'll flick out invites as i see you

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 20, 2015

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Nuebot posted:

Anyway my name is Weedgoku Bonerhitler

I suggest having another name ready since there's no way this one will survive for long.

Not that I'm going to report it or anything but it's going to happen

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Number19 posted:

I suggest having another name ready since there's no way this one will survive for long.

I do, I was actually surprised this one wasn't taken already. But I have seen a ton of 420weed related names so who knows. I'll probably have to replace it soon though because I made a bunch of people really, really mad earlier when an IRL accident made me afk for a few minutes in a match and I came back to people just yelling that we deserve to lost because I AFKed and that I cost them the game, etc. So I'm sure angry people reported me.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Number19 posted:

and once they change it you'll never get a new one.

No matter how many snarky emails you send with acceptable names in it.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Willfrey posted:

and once they change it you'll never get a new one.

No matter how many snarky emails you send with acceptable names in it.

I didn't get a chance to poke someone about that last week. I'll see if I can help get it sorted out before the holiday break.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, they are. The one with 7 MPLs is ridiculous. I'll log on and friend you up for the invite

Can I get one?
The name is thenamewithoutamonster.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Nuebot posted:

I do, I was actually surprised this one wasn't taken already. But I have seen a ton of 420weed related names so who knows. I'll probably have to replace it soon though because I made a bunch of people really, really mad earlier when an IRL accident made me afk for a few minutes in a match and I came back to people just yelling that we deserve to lost because I AFKed and that I cost them the game, etc. So I'm sure angry people reported me.

It's all a matter of if you get reported or not. If not then your name will live forever.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I should log on under my anon account one day just so I can goof off fully.

E: for all the newcomers or returning old timers who haven't kept up: I am a PGI employee. If you have an issue you want assistance with then contact support since I'm generally terrible at being able to help. If you have a question I might be able to answer. You can also PM me other questions if you think they're more private and I will try to answer.

Also I play robots with goons so odds are we will group up and have fun one day.

Number19 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 20, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Number19 posted:

It's all a matter of if you get reported or not. If not then your name will live forever.

Neat, hopefully it doesn't get taken away but :shrug: I'm not actually that attached to the name if it gets changed it gets changed. One thing I've been surprised about though is that aside from that one ragey game so far I haven't run into too many super serious angry people. Mostly the people who I've been running into are pretty chill even if we get stomped.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Nuebot posted:

Neat, hopefully it doesn't get taken away but :shrug: I'm not actually that attached to the name if it gets changed it gets changed. One thing I've been surprised about though is that aside from that one ragey game so far I haven't run into too many super serious angry people. Mostly the people who I've been running into are pretty chill even if we get stomped.

It's really the "BonerHitler" you realize, right? Marijuana is legalized and whatever in a lot of places.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It's really the "BonerHitler" you realize, right? Marijuana is legalized and whatever in a lot of places.

Well, boners and Hitler are also legal in a lot of places.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

CISscum posted:

Well, boners and Hitler are also legal in a lot of places.

But not BonerHitlers. It's an important distinction.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Any MWO account is worthless unless it has urbanmechs on it.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Number19 posted:

I should log on under my anon account one day just so I can goof off fully.

E: for all the newcomers or returning old timers who haven't kept up: I am a PGI employee. If you have an issue you want assistance with then contact support since I'm generally terrible at being able to help. If you have a question I might be able to answer. You can also PM me other questions if you think they're more private and I will try to answer.

Also I play robots with goons so odds are we will group up and have fun one day.

Addendum:

As the resident "leggy receptionist", 19's pull is very limited.

You know the story... Hard working, streetwise city kid trying to make it big... But will true love throw a curveball into that plan?

Also, 19 looks like Mini Me with more voluptuous buttocks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Any MWO account is worthless unless it has urbanmechs on it.

I don't get it, why does everyone go nuts over them?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The arctic cheetah is my spirit animal, apparently. I got tired of getting punked in ravens and ebon jaguars tonight so I pulled it out for the first time- hot drat, I don't know what it is about that thing but it is like a tiny god. I don't think I've lost a single game in it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Nuebot posted:

A good analogy would be going nuts over playable Ewoks in a Star Wars game.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Nuebot posted:

You're a mech that resembles a garbage bin.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Drakes posted:

You're a mech that resembles a garbage bin.

how many flamethrowers can I tape to one?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

how many flamethrowers can I tape to one?

I think one variant can have up to four.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Nuebot posted:

So why is it that sometimes I can't target a guy? I'm like looking right at him, trying to shoot him and I hit the target button and the game says "Target Aquired" but it'll target someone I'm not even looking at.

I only recently just figured out how it works:

• Anyone that your teammates are targeting is also available for you to target, regardless of where they are or how far away they are. That's why you can sometimes target people you cannot see or aren't looking at.
  • If an enemy has an empty triangle over their head, it means that nobody on your team is currently targeting them for whatever reason.
  • A Beagle Active Probe lets you see the empty triangles from much farther away.
  • If the guy you're looking at doesn't have an empty or colored in triangle above their heads, then either they have ECM or your sensors cannot reach far enough to target them because they're too far away.
  • If an enemy has a fully colored in triangle over their head, it means that somebody on your team is already targeting them.
  • Once an enemy has been targeted for the first time, you have to keep them painted for ~5 seconds before the health+weapons information will be known. If you get a Targeting Computer, it'll shorten that time to like 1~3 seconds or whatever iirc.
  • If your teammates are shooting at somebody that only you are targeting, you will get extra C-Bills and XP for a "Scouting Assist"... but you can only get that one time for each enemy in the match afaik.

So at the beginning of a match, always target people with empty triangles over their heads. If you're the first one to do it, it'll assign them a new letter (A thru L) and you'll get extra C-Bills and XP for "Scouting."

I only know all of this because since I'm always piloting my Shadow Cat I am often the first one to spot and target people when playing because of my speed and mobility. Getting a Beagle Active Probe allows you to get that Scouting $$$ and XP much more easily. It's like a free 20k per person that you target or whatever, so even if you don't get any kills (and I almost never get kills because I'm so bad at this game) you can still earn an extra 60k to 100k depending on how many people you spotted since usually everyone moves in a big blob and thus will get revealed on masse for you to spam R and get that $$$.

So unless you're trying to be a Sniper mech (which I've been doing a lot the past few days in my Shadow Cat), the Beagle Active Probe and the Targeting Computer won't really pay for themselves. But if you do, though, then you can use the Scouting C-Bills and XP to make up for the price of getting the BAP and Targeting Computer.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 20, 2015

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Addendum to the above: If you already have a robut targeted, hitting R again will cycle to the next robut you can target. That may be what happened to Nuebot. :shobon:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I think the guy in question just either had ECM or was slightly out of range and there was some depth perception muckery going on. Oh well, at least you can still shoot dudes you don't have targeted right?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Another tip for scouting: if you notice your teammates shooting at somebody who is running behind cover but you can still see them from your angle, then you can help your teammates out by just targeting the guy even if you can't shoot at him. That way, when the guy peeks again, your teammates will know he's about to peek because they will have never lost their target lock on him even though the guy is still behind cover from your teammates' perspective.

Another tip for sniping: don't shoot at the stragglers (especially if you're using lasers or don't have ECM). Only shoot at the ones that are too distracted to notice that you're shooting at them. Even organized groups will never think twice about random lasers flying over their heads during a battle unless it's specifically hitting them.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 20, 2015

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

I only recently just figured out how it works:

• Anyone that your teammates are targeting is also available for you to target, regardless of where they are or how far away they are. That's why you can sometimes target people you cannot see or aren't looking at.
  • If an enemy has an empty triangle over their head, it means that nobody on your team is currently targeting them for whatever reason.
  • A Beagle Active Probe lets you see the empty triangles from much farther away.
  • If the guy you're looking at doesn't have an empty or colored in triangle above their heads, then either they have ECM or your sensors cannot reach far enough to target them because they're too far away.
  • If an enemy has a fully colored in triangle over their head, it means that somebody on your team is already targeting them.
  • Once an enemy has been targeted for the first time, you have to keep them painted for ~5 seconds before the health+weapons information will be known. If you get a Targeting Computer, it'll shorten that time to like 1~3 seconds or whatever iirc.
  • If your teammates are shooting at somebody that only you are targeting, you will get extra C-Bills and XP for a "Scouting Assist"... but you can only get that one time for each enemy in the match afaik.

So at the beginning of a match, always target people with empty triangles over their heads. If you're the first one to do it, it'll assign them a new letter (A thru L) and you'll get extra C-Bills and XP for "Scouting."

I only know all of this because since I'm always piloting my Shadow Cat I am often the first one to spot and target people when playing because of my speed and mobility. Getting a Beagle Active Probe allows you to get that Scouting $$$ and XP much more easily. It's like a free 20k per person that you target or whatever, so even if you don't get any kills (and I almost never get kills because I'm so bad at this game) you can still earn an extra 60k to 100k depending on how many people you spotted since usually everyone moves in a big blob and thus will get revealed on masse for you to spam R and get that $$$.

So unless you're trying to be a Sniper mech (which I've been doing a lot the past few days in my Shadow Cat), the Beagle Active Probe and the Targeting Computer won't really pay for themselves. But if you do, though, then you can use the Scouting C-Bills and XP to make up for the price of getting the BAP and Targeting Computer.

HOLD LOCKS FOR RAIN

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
Is Mech XP functionally worthless? I have maxed basic skills and 100k XP on Direwolf-Prime. Don't see how I can spend it without buying 2 more DWF variants (lol 35M C-Bills).
Also, what is the best use of MC? Is XP to GXP conversion worth it?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

CISscum posted:

Is Mech XP functionally worthless? I have maxed basic skills and 100k XP on Direwolf-Prime. Don't see how I can spend it without buying 2 more DWF variants (lol 35M C-Bills).
Also, what is the best use of MC? Is XP to GXP conversion worth it?

you need the other 2 variants to get it elited. the grind is real.

Most people use MC for mechbays, or IS hero mechs. Its drat expensive though to buy mechs with MC so only use it for that

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I took a screenshot of my Tier 4 progress bar right before I started playing yesterday (top) and then I took another screenshot just now before I start playing today (bottom):

Despite winning more than I lost yesterday while playing with goons... for some reason my progress bar is falling more than it is growing? I don't understand this at all. If I were like Tier 1 or whatever, I'd understand losing more points from losses than I earn by winning... but at Tier 4? :what:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Its weird, it probably takes into account of how much you participated in stuff like damage/kills/scouting/assists/etc.

Pulled out my drg-flame , man has it been ages since I've played with an ac/20. And then I mowed down everyone running around with their laser beams.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Willfrey posted:

you need the other 2 variants to get it elited. the grind is real.

Most people use MC for mechbays, or IS hero mechs. Its drat expensive though to buy mechs with MC so only use it for that

Is there any way to earn MC other than real cash? Because I want to buy some lovely eye searing colors.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Is there any way to earn MC other than real cash? Because I want to buy some lovely eye searing colors.

Only during the special events where they award MC as prizes.

PGI is too incompetent to understand the benefits of giving away small amounts of premium currency to reward activity/retention and the benefits of higher activity/retention.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014

Nuebot posted:

There is 250 MC Challenge for getting some XP (10000?) in Quick Play right now. Probably will be more challenges in the future.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuebot posted:

They trickle a little out on the events - there's a good style of even they do these days where you play solidly for a few hours and get a nice grab bag of treats which can include MC (and the occasional colour). There also used to be a PCGamer code that got you a pattern and some colours, I think it's expired now though. Otherwise yeah you're gonna have to drop a few bucks if you want to roll tough.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ah, that was probably how I got the 250 points I got now then. Anyway, maybe I'll drop some bucks on this game in the future if I stick with it once the joy of running around shooting things with a giant metal crab wears off.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Ah, that was probably how I got the 250 points I got now then. Anyway, maybe I'll drop some bucks on this game in the future if I stick with it once the joy of running around shooting things with a giant metal crab wears off.

Don't spend any money until you consider how much you actually want to invest into this game.

You'll probably run into a pretty big wall soon of deciding to get more variety or to squeeze more output from your KGC.
Buying 2 variants and then DHS/Endo while stripping the engine/weapons from your other one to hit Basic Masteries.
Then that unlocks Elite masteries which luckily you don't need to max all 3 in order to unlock the Module mastery unlock.
Mastery of weapons is going to take a ton of GXP as well as the general modules like Seismic Sensor, Zoom, Radar Deprivation, and the weapon ones.

However, if you go the alternate route of trying another chassis, make sure you pick one of the Mastery Bundles. You get 1 normal, 1 champion, 1 hero, 3 mech bays, 30 day premium at a huge huge discount.
Mastery Bundles are excellent use of MC due to the huge discounts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TVDinna posted:

Don't spend any money until you consider how much you actually want to invest into this game.

Probably not a lot. Like, mostly just colors and maybe, at most, a really cool fancy hero mech if there's ever one I like playing as but since I use the crab as my assault I doubt they'll make one and I'm not keen on picking another assault. I'm probably going to go for more variety though because I'd like to play around with light and middle mechs too, I'm def. going to grab a garbage can and load it up with annoying flamers and other poo poo just to pester people and see how that turns out. Probably badly. I had a look at the mastery things and I dunno, none of them seemed that important. I guess turning could be, but if I ever wind up in a situation where I need to turn faster I'm probably already screwed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Probably not a lot. Like, mostly just colors and maybe, at most, a really cool fancy hero mech if there's ever one I like playing as but since I use the crab as my assault I doubt they'll make one and I'm not keen on picking another assault. I'm probably going to go for more variety though because I'd like to play around with light and middle mechs too, I'm def. going to grab a garbage can and load it up with annoying flamers and other poo poo just to pester people and see how that turns out. Probably badly. I had a look at the mastery things and I dunno, none of them seemed that important. I guess turning could be, but if I ever wind up in a situation where I need to turn faster I'm probably already screwed anyway.

The masteries add up. When you max out Elite, your Basics get doubled. So Cool Run becomes double what it is, Heat Cap raised a little more, braking/acceleration/turning is faster. Faster turning = faster torso twisting to mitigate damage.
Speed Tweak = run faster, Quick Fire = more damage output.

It doesn't seem like a lot but a mech with only Basic masteries vs a Module Mastered (with module) mech is actually almost a night and day difference.

Firestarter (L), Raven (L), Jager (H), Stalker (A), Banshee (A), Thunderbolt (H) mastery packs are pretty solid choices imo.

• Locked thread