Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HerraS posted:

Since no one has claimed the USS San Diego I shall.

Will do.

New page achieved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

lenoon posted:

Fred, stop signing your posts - you'll get probated again.

Sorry, forgot - happens automatically. Is "F" OK.......:-)....

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

lenoon posted:

Remember that we romanticise the living poo poo out of the war, and there's nothing more romantic-heroic than the stringbags being flung against the Bismarck, and winning.

Hmmm.....after launching at one of their own cruisers first.....Besides, you've heard about the Channel Dash....?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I land fresh troops to keep the Allies off balance.

Our sub continues to hunt.

Dutch subs! They have working torpedoes don'tyaknow.

We get two hits on them, lets hope that forces them back into the docks for a while.

I'm not going to call this a stranglehold, but we are at least interdicting Pearl Harbour.

We are even hunting off Canada now.

The Allied pilots seem to be a lot better than I was lead to believe.

Especially these bastards. I told these ships to move out.

I really hate them.

Our men assault across the river, expecting a single enemy unit. They find a massive concentration of Chinese troops and take heavy losses.

We get a measure of revenge in the south.

We begin a heavy assault on Hong Kong. This strips half their Assault Value (AV) in one day.

I have a lot of troops moving into action in China, so that front should explode soon. I'm annoyed with our ship losses in Malaya, but the troops are ashore, and should be able to advance soon.

I'm not going to lie, this is bad. The air support I keep trying to arrange seems to want to stay at home, and we've paid for it.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 20, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Those Vildebeests need to die.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm not going to lie, this is bad. The air support I keep trying to arrange seems to want to stay at home, and we've paid for it.
:eyepop: Good job the Japanese army can walk on water!

Grey Hunter posted:

[timg]http://lpix.org/2309057/10.jpg[/img
By the by, this tag is unclosed, and it still says Stratigic Report instead of Strategic Report.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Grey Hunter posted:

Especially these bastards. I told these ships to move out.

I really hate them.

Put some LRCAP up, even Zeroes with drop tanks from Cambodia would be better than this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is this somehow going worse than the aborted last LP?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Winter Stormer posted:

By the by, this tag is unclosed, and it still says Stratigic Report instead of Strategic Report.

This is defiantly necessary for the full Grey Hunter Experience.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

fredleander posted:

Sorry, forgot - happens automatically. Is "F" OK.......:-)....

Your posts are really good so I don't want you to get probated so:

Don't sign your posts at all, even "F", we know who you are and I'm sure if you keep up the detail someone will even end up getting you an avatar so we'll know even more.

Also! Don't use smileys like :-), we don't really do that here. But we do have loads of emoticons you can use, so :) in this context should do it!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
The allied AI is doing better against GH than I am against the Japanese AI in my game :(

Although to be fair they haven't wandered into range of the Singapore Vildebeests yet.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I think its even worse than it seems. I think we've actually lost more transports to date than was lost in the entirety of the last attempt.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Ikasuhito posted:

I think its even worse than it seems. I think we've actually lost more transports to date than was lost in the entirety of the last attempt.

Out of curiosity I went back to check the old thread and compare notes (sorry for the scrutiny GH, no undue pressure intended :v:). I think it's fair to say that's mostly hyperbole.

~*Alternate Universe December 21st *~

Compared to our current universe December 21st:

In the alternoverse we've destroyed 100 more allied planes in A2A combat (:eyepop:) but are on pretty much the exact same track in terms of losses. Base points are also nearly identical, and Japanese ship losses are at around the same points value despite the current attempt having about ~10 more hulls lost. Here's the direct link to the old thread for the curious which mostly just proves that this is the one true timeline because we're using the nice map instead of default.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

fredleander posted:

Hmmm.....after launching at one of their own cruisers first.....Besides, you've heard about the Channel Dash....?

Try battleship. Fortunately, when your entire carrier air wing says "Yo, our torpedoes exploded when they hit the water," backed up by a presumably VERY cross watch officer from one of your own Battleships giving a very colourful account of how they just got attacked by a bunch of torpedo biplanes, the British were the only power able to figure out their magnetic detonators were garbage in under 2 years.
(The IJN never used them)

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Generation Internet posted:

In the alternoverse we've destroyed 100 more allied planes in A2A combat (:eyepop:) but are on pretty much the exact same track in terms of losses. Base points are also nearly identical, and Japanese ship losses are at around the same points value despite the current attempt having about ~10 more hulls lost. Here's the direct link to the old thread for the curious which mostly just proves that this is the one true timeline because we're using the nice map instead of default.

:stare: Well then. To be honest, I'm not quite sure where the massive disparity in A2A losses comes from then - except for maybe the airbase raids in the first two days, but I don't recall the original attempt's attacks going particularly poorly as such. Not complaining, mind. 100 less Allied aircraft is always a nice figure. Just would be nice if there were more dead Vildebeest in that number.

Veloxyll posted:

Try battleship. Fortunately, when your entire carrier air wing says "Yo, our torpedoes exploded when they hit the water," backed up by a presumably VERY cross watch officer from one of your own Battleships giving a very colourful account of how they just got attacked by a bunch of torpedo biplanes, the British were the only power able to figure out their magnetic detonators were garbage in under 2 years.

To be fair, after noticeable highlighted failures of the magnetic detonators the U-boats had to put up with during the invasion of Norway, the Germans actually cottoned on fast and weren't far behind in fixing those errors.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

Which battleship? I was referring to the cruiser Sheffield.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

lenoon posted:

Your posts are really good so I don't want you to get probated so:

Don't sign your posts at all, even "F", we know who you are and I'm sure if you keep up the detail someone will even end up getting you an avatar so we'll know even more.

Also! Don't use smileys like :-), we don't really do that here. But we do have loads of emoticons you can use, so :) in this context should do it!

You know, I'm not really signing my posts - just wanting to spread the gospel of "peace" around the world. "Fred" means "peace" in Norwegian. You know, like peace and love....:)...I'm Norwegian...

Ooh, there I found out how the smilies work, too. Nothing's like other sites - at this site.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fredleander posted:

You know, I'm not really signing my posts - just wanting to spread the gospel of "peace" around the world. "Fred" means "peace" in Norwegian. You know, like peace and love....:)...I'm Norwegian...

Fyi, no one gives a poo poo. Don't sign your posts.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

fredleander posted:

You know, I'm not really signing my posts - just wanting to spread the gospel of "peace" around the world. "Fred" means "peace" in Norwegian.
Please stick to talking about WW2 naval armament instead of this dumb bullshit.

Also you are doing emoticons wrong. This is what you typed:
code:
[img]http://i.somethingawful.com/images/emot-dance.gif[/img]
This is what you should type instead:
code:
:dance:
There's a "Smilies" button under the text box when posting. It contains the proper codes for posting emoticons.

biosterous fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 21, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

welcome :norway:

i hope gray irons out his CAP issues soon

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Is Norway stuck in some sort of perpetual 90s geocities hellscape?

This campaign seems to be going pretty roughly, but those torpedo bombers gave grey a really hard time last time too

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

fredleander posted:

Which battleship? I was referring to the cruiser Sheffield.

The King George V

Looks like Grey is just commanding in the finest traditions of the Royal Navy trying to sink its boats!

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

Veloxyll posted:

The King George V

Looks like Grey is just commanding in the finest traditions of the Royal Navy trying to sink its boats!

HMS King George V wasn't attacked by Ark Royal's Swordfish - to reach her, they would have had to fly past Bismarck, and attack KGV's task group, which included the carrier HMS Victorious and multiple cruisers and destroyers. You're thinking of HMS Sheffield, a Southampton Class cruiser which had been detached from Force H to shadow Bismarck.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

huh. guess my history books were wrong on that.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

At least it wasn't losing 3 carriers from forgetting to set CAP. 10/28/44 :911:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Reuben Sandwich posted:

At least it wasn't losing 3 carriers from forgetting to set CAP. 10/28/44 :911:

There's still time.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

There's still time.

You guys are going to laugh so hard in a few days time......

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

I already am :smuggo:

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I already am :smuggo:

RIP Kido Butai, killed because Grey forgot to load any planes aboard.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LeadSled posted:

RIP Kido Butai, killed because Grey forgot to load any planes aboard.

Hint: Carriers should not engage in broadsides with enemy cruisers.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

What truly lies beneath Tokyo Bay Fortress.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ikasuhito posted:

What truly lies sleeps beneath Tokyo Bay Fortress Eniwetok.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Our daily reminded to the Americans that Pearl Harbour is not safe.

One or two ships won't win the war, but it will hurt enemy morale.

I have to remember to task some destroyers to sweep this area.

Hong Kong should fall any day now.

A massed raid on Georgetown gets a few hits in.

A raid on Singapore shows they have a LOT of fighters there.

Its also a shame the massed raid comes in in waves....

The losses in shipping prove worthwhile as we take Kuantan.

With fresh men ashore, Lingayen falls quickly. While casualties are equal, we have done a lot more damage to the enemy than we took when you look at destroyed squads.

To the south in Lucena, we slaughter them. This attack is much more successful than I expected.

We are advancing on all fronts! The things are going a lot better in the Philippines this time, as I've sent enough troops in to do the job – lets hope its the same in Malaya!

If this report is to believed, the Tennessee has sunk just before entering port.

That would be nice.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
As a sort of a tangent, does anybody know of complete or at least active LPs or AARs of this game where the Allied AI gets abused as hard as possible? It would be interesting to see how well the Japanese could theoretically do in such a scenario.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Anyone else laughing at the Betelgeuse getting hit three times?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Just thought I'd mention that like most grognard games WitP is higher priced than you'd think and normally goes for like $90, but it's currently half price in the Matrix Games Christmas sale.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Theantero posted:

As a sort of a tangent, does anybody know of complete or at least active LPs or AARs of this game where the Allied AI gets abused as hard as possible? It would be interesting to see how well the Japanese could theoretically do in such a scenario.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=712

These are non-AI AARs for the most part, but some are pretty amazing. Some are awful copy-pastes of the prodigious amounts of combat reports, but some are well written with narratives, and some are strategically interesting.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2900582

This might be the most one-sided of them. Koniu starts and keeps winning, the game is in '45 now and while territory has been lost it's still quite one-sided.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2560960

Might be the best narrative one I've seen.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Did the Japan one here get archived? Where he captured Australia up to the reinforcement line. And Sri Lanka. And the AI kinda broke.

Grey Hunter posted:

For Christmas, we get 4 sunk carriers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

CAP not flying on account of eating Christmas turkey?