Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Nitrox posted:

Shame, it's rather inconspicuous otherwise.

It's no Mobius but I used the Stealth 2 as a comparison for a reason :) It's actually a bit smaller while having similar features like the rotatable sensor and being rainproof without a bulky case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
:ohdear: make sure that it can snap off of the helmet when something heavier than wind hits it, a helm-cam acting as a solid immovable object is what took out Michael Schumacher (full recovery not expected is the latest news)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is it just adhesive that attaches it to the helmet? Because that's a bit scary

Sorry for the derail

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The 3M VHB adhesive that GoPro uses is unbelievably strong. I would trust it more than nuts and bolts in many situations.

I don't know if that's the same adhesive, but yeah.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah if I was riding a motor cycle I would switch to mounting it on the bike.

My contour is also for the snow; I took my GoPro mount off the top and used the contour mount that slides on to the goggle strap. It's better for weight distribution and a better angle too.

I needed a screwdriver and a hammer to remove the GoPro mount. It hosed the helmet pretty badly in terms of cosmetic damage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Laserface posted:

Yeah if I was riding a motor cycle I would switch to mounting it on the bike.

I needed a screwdriver and a hammer to remove the GoPro mount. It hosed the helmet pretty badly in terms of cosmetic damage.

Use a heat gun/hair dryer and a putty knife next time. The stuff slowly peels off at high temperatures. I have GoPro mounts on my Motorcycle helmet and I would trust them to hang on at much higher speeds than I'm comfortable riding.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

im not at all worried about that.

I was worried about it snagging on a tree branch and instead of ripping the camera off, clothes-lining me and causing injury.

that and Gopros (while awesome) have the worst battery life for any kind of activity. I dont really feel like loading my pockets with potentially volatile Lipo batteries.

I'll stick to using them on my car, but for headwear the contour formfactor is king.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Here is my latest - put my car in a Manhattan parking garage. Pretty boring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCzTC-W2mY

What are people using to edit? Windows Movie Maker is driving me crazy with the black box it wants to put around the video.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
So I made it all of 2 months before my Cobra 840 got swiped from my car. At least they did not rip out the power cord that was hardwired in and damage the car. Only other thing taken was a pair of crappy sunglasses and an old ac converter.
One thing I did not like about it was that it was a pain to remove from the mount. Is there a decent cam with a quick release mount so I can just pop it off and put it in my pocket when I leave the car? I switch between two cars to drive to work so would like something I could move between both easily. I would just hardwire both cars and plug it into whichever I was driving that day.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Meydey posted:

So I made it all of 2 months before my Cobra 840 got swiped from my car. At least they did not rip out the power cord that was hardwired in and damage the car. Only other thing taken was a pair of crappy sunglasses and an old ac converter.
One thing I did not like about it was that it was a pain to remove from the mount. Is there a decent cam with a quick release mount so I can just pop it off and put it in my pocket when I leave the car? I switch between two cars to drive to work so would like something I could move between both easily. I would just hardwire both cars and plug it into whichever I was driving that day.

Mobius has a nice quick release clamp.

You still have to unplug the power cable, but then the unit slides right out and into your pocket.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mini 080x with the GPS mount works well if you don't mind having the GPS mount 3M taped to the glass.

Can buy spare mounts on eBay.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hit an Apex posted:

Here is my latest - put my car in a Manhattan parking garage. Pretty boring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCzTC-W2mY

What are people using to edit? Windows Movie Maker is driving me crazy with the black box it wants to put around the video.

Find the button that changes the project between 16:9 and 4:3.
edit: Under the Project tab.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hit an Apex posted:

I've been using a free open-source program called ShotCut for video editing. It can be a bit clunky at times but if you're just snipping out a bit of video between point A and B of a larger file it's pretty straightforward.

I'm too lazy to pull tape but on the drive in to work today I saw a SUV :siren:backing up:siren: out of an off ramp, right down the middle of the drat lane. They really didn't want to get on that toll road (635 Express for any Dallas goons).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I haven't used it (I use Adobe Premiere) but I've heard that if you're looking for fairly basic stuff the built in YouTube editor isn't too bad, the only hassle is uploading a bunch of raw clips in order to edit them can take a fair amount of time.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 21, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've used Freemake video converter and it does all you'd want for basic 'look at this dumbass video editing'

Except text overlays. That would be nice

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

IOwnCalculus posted:

For what it's worth, this mount does fit the Cobra CDR 840 almost perfectly. However, it is limited in angle adjustment, and will work better if you have a windshield sloped far back and not standing up. You could get some more angle out of it by trimming it, but I think I can make it work fine for my CR-V without it.

I think you have the same model CRV I do (2011?) Where did you tap for power for your camera? I was thinking of trying for the map lights in the headliner, but I wasn't sure if there was a key activated 12v source up there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mine is the next gen, 2013. I still haven't finished hardwiring it. I thought about tapping the lights up there but I can't seem to find any reliable documentation on how to remove the panel. I have an add-a-fuse installed and a long-rear end USB cable, along with a replacement for the non-reusable clip for the A-pillar. It's basically how they do the dealer-installed Homelink mirror upgrade.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

spog posted:

I've used Freemake video converter and it does all you'd want for basic 'look at this dumbass video editing'

Except text overlays. That would be nice

Installing Freemake, even if you make absolutely sure to un-check all the bullshit stuff it wants to install (it tries multiple times during the install), also installs malware (well not technically malware, but it is as far as I'm concerned) pop-up advertisement (ads by Wajam) bullshit into your browser and enters it into your registry. Malwarebytes found 87 loving entries from this bullshit.

Because you are giving the installer permission to run on your system as part of the install, it won't be caught on the install side, only by a scan afterwards.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

Installing Freemake, even if you make absolutely sure to un-check all the bullshit stuff it wants to install (it tries multiple times during the install), also installs malware (well not technically malware, but it is as far as I'm concerned) pop-up advertisement (ads by Wajam) bullshit into your browser and enters it into your registry. Malwarebytes found 87 loving entries from this bullshit.

Because you are giving the installer permission to run on your system as part of the install, it won't be caught on the install side, only by a scan afterwards.

Apologies for that: when I installed it a couple of months ago, it didn't leave anything nasty that Malwarebytes didn't like (apart from the program itself).

I did have to go through a lot of the 'do you not not not want to not not not install this addon?' bullshit, though.

Maybe the installer has gotten worse?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

spog posted:

Apologies for that: when I installed it a couple of months ago, it didn't leave anything nasty that Malwarebytes didn't like (apart from the program itself).

I did have to go through a lot of the 'do you not not not want to not not not install this addon?' bullshit, though.

Maybe the installer has gotten worse?

If I wasn't clear, I wasn't pissed off at you spog, I meant this more as a warning to anyone else.

But yea, either the installer is worse, or this ad 'feature' is part of the software itself. I haven't run it again since then to test it.

What I really don't get about this is - when your program installer does this, why would you think I might actually spend money to go to the 'pro' version of your software? gently caress you if you think I'm supporting a company that does bullshit like this.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 22, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

If I wasn't clear, I wasn't pissed off at you spog, I meant this more as a warning to anyone else.

But yea, either the installer is worse, or this ad 'feature' is part of the software itself. I haven't run it again since then to test it.

What I really don't get about this is - when your program installer does this, why would you think I might actually spend money to go to the 'pro' version of your software? gently caress you if you think I'm supporting a company that does bullshit like this.

Nah, it's all good bro. It's good that you warned people about this.

It's a shame that they load nice little programs with shite like this.

If I could ever get Windows Movie Maker to actually work some time; I'd use that in a flash.

Fake edit: Yup - me too. There's no way I'd pay for a full version of anything that does poo poo like that.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Did you download it from sourceforge? anything you download from there has adware forcibly injected.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Did you download it from sourceforge? anything you download from there has adware forcibly injected.

Nope, downloaded from their own website.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife got this one tonight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5udc9smVMA

There's no reason to prefer one bore of the tunnel over another. But some people panic and decide they really need to be in a different bore.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
I got a mobius for Christmas with the stealth install kit. I want to wire it up using the add-a-fuse I've been seeing people use to power it.

I'm not sure what amp fuse I should power this off of though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Soarer posted:

I got a mobius for Christmas with the stealth install kit. I want to wire it up using the add-a-fuse I've been seeing people use to power it.

I'm not sure what amp fuse I should power this off of though.

The smallest you can find. 1A is more than enough for a mobius.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm too lazy to pull tape but on the drive in to work today I saw a SUV :siren:backing up:siren: out of an off ramp, right down the middle of the drat lane. They really didn't want to get on that toll road (635 Express for any Dallas goons).

:cripes: It's not like 635 Express is that expensive. I'm not a fan of driving on toll roads either, but I'm not going to gently caress up traffic if I accidentally wind up on a ramp.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just can't imagine the thought process that goes into deciding that not only stopping, but reversing down a one way road where traffic is hitting 60mph easy is your best option.

Stay safe this holiday season goons. Remember, Dumbass never takes a holiday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxF6g7clEts

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A few years ago my sister and her kids and me and my wife were all flying to Oklahoma City in January for my grandma's 90th birthday. We had a stopover in Dallas/Ft. Worth and they decided to cancel the second leg to OKC due to the risk that there might be snow. (It never actually snowed.)

So, needing to get to OKC, I rented a minivan, we packed everyone up, and the guy at the rental car counter gave us directions on a road map.

...which took us on a toll road.

Not being from the area I kept expecting a loving toll booth but it was 2 AM and no toll booth materialized. There was literally no way for me to pay for the two tolls, which I think were like 35 cents each? Something tiny. The road signs had a phone number but if you called it you had to sign up in advance to get a transponder or some loving thing like that, there was no option to just use a card to pay a one-time toll.

Months later I got a bill from the rental car company for over sixty dollars: two discreet $30 fees for the two separate (I think very small, like a couple bucks) fines for toll violations, for tolls totalling less than a buck.

I can totally understand someone panicking if that's the way Texas rolls. Because gently caress that poo poo, the onramp to the toll road should say "TINY TOLL BUT IF YOU DON"T HAVE A TRANSPONDER, DO NOT ENTER OR YOU'LL BE FINED, THERE ARE NO TOLL BOOTHS, YOU CAN'T PAY CASH NOR CAN YOU JUST CALL UP AND PAY A TOLL BY CREDIT CARD, SERIOUSLY DO NOT ENTER"

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Toll roads in Oklahoma seemed the same way. First time I encountered it I paid in change as they do not accept cards. Good loving luck avoiding it as Oklahoma is a shithole without options.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

Oklahoma is a shithole

Agreed! I'm stuck in okc for a few months for work and I can't wait to get the hell our of this poo poo city. I've had so many close calls recorded on my dashcam...

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Is this dash cam any good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3UQXTFWURQO7D5

I'm looking for a good price on an install that would be completely hidden from view in the cabin and hide stuff under seats or in the glove compartment, i even want to drill little circular holes in the grill and somewhere in the rear and poke the lens through them, has anyone done an install like this and could offer tips?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

`Nemesis posted:

Toll roads in Oklahoma seemed the same way. First time I encountered it I paid in change as they do not accept cards. Good loving luck avoiding it as Oklahoma is a shithole without options.

There's a N-S and an E-W interstate that traverse the state end-to-end. I absolutely hate Oklahoma after living there for six years, but toll roads are easily avoidable except maybe in certain areas of the sticks where they're literally private roads designed as shortcuts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Another episode of "old fucks can't drive". Watching this again I could've been on the brakes a bit sooner but it sure did look like he was trying to turn right into the lane to my right, not cut across traffic. Camera didn't catch it but he looked confused as hell as to why I was panic stopping / honking / swearing loudly at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjhxgDb6bms

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

A few years ago my sister and her kids and me and my wife were all flying to Oklahoma City in January for my grandma's 90th birthday. We had a stopover in Dallas/Ft. Worth and they decided to cancel the second leg to OKC due to the risk that there might be snow. (It never actually snowed.)

So, needing to get to OKC, I rented a minivan, we packed everyone up, and the guy at the rental car counter gave us directions on a road map.

...which took us on a toll road.

Not being from the area I kept expecting a loving toll booth but it was 2 AM and no toll booth materialized. There was literally no way for me to pay for the two tolls, which I think were like 35 cents each? Something tiny. The road signs had a phone number but if you called it you had to sign up in advance to get a transponder or some loving thing like that, there was no option to just use a card to pay a one-time toll.

Months later I got a bill from the rental car company for over sixty dollars: two discreet $30 fees for the two separate (I think very small, like a couple bucks) fines for toll violations, for tolls totalling less than a buck.

I can totally understand someone panicking if that's the way Texas rolls. Because gently caress that poo poo, the onramp to the toll road should say "TINY TOLL BUT IF YOU DON"T HAVE A TRANSPONDER, DO NOT ENTER OR YOU'LL BE FINED, THERE ARE NO TOLL BOOTHS, YOU CAN'T PAY CASH NOR CAN YOU JUST CALL UP AND PAY A TOLL BY CREDIT CARD, SERIOUSLY DO NOT ENTER"

HAHA yeah....... The idea is that if you don't have a TollTag then it's "no big deal" as they will just mail you your toll fine with a little bit extra for admin fees. In your case they would have sent that back to the car rental place, which then had to turn around and track your info down and forward it on to you, the bureaucracy of which as you say took months, with late fees and admin fines piling up all the way. Maybe could have called NTAA and plead your case, but that's a pain in the rear end either way you go.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm looking for a good price on an install that would be completely hidden from view in the cabin and hide stuff under seats or in the glove compartment, i even want to drill little circular holes in the grill and somewhere in the rear and poke the lens through them, has anyone done an install like this and could offer tips?

There are issues with it if you read around. Get a backvu if you want a guarantee quality two channel

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This is what I'm currently using and I haven't had any issues with it other than it being picky with memory cards. Just make sure the memory card is no bigger than 32gb and don't use SanDisk cards, mine's already killed two. I'm currently using a 32gb Samsung card and haven't had any issues. I don't know how well the camera would hold up to being installed in the grill, you may want to make a lens shield for it because I wouldn't be surprised if a rock or piece of debris getting kicked up would break the lens (I'm also not sure how waterproof it is). The cameras themselves are pretty tiny, I have my forward one mounted behind my rear-view mirror and you can't see it at all from the driver or passenger seats and sticking it right next to where the mirror is attached to the window you really don't notice it from the outside either. The wire runs up the cable cover for the rear view power so that's out of sight and runs to the main unit in the glove compartment. The kit includes an adhesive mount for the base too so you can easily mount it there so it's not loose or so you can tuck it up out of sight and you don't even have to drill into the car. I'm not so sure about a good way to mount the rear so that it's completely out of sight. Mine's in a Forester so I basically mounted it to the bottom of the brake light housing at the center-top of the window so that it's in the area covered by the rear window wiper to keep its view clear. If you're inside the car it's pretty obvious but from outside the stock tint on the window is more than enough to keep it hidden. I'll see if I can snap some pictures of my setup at some point.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Got a mobius wide angle for christmas, what's a good brand on amazon for one of the wire installation kits?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I bought this one to power my Mobius camera. I tapped into the power for the sunroof and hid the extra wire and box in the headliner behind the map lights. I put a switch inline with it so I have to manually turn it on and off.

Also, buy the super cap if yours didn't come with it. The battery won't last long in the heat, mine lasted about four months before it died. I bought this one and it has been working great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just leaving a review for a dashcam that I recently bought- Amacam AM-M80 Miniature.

This is the worst dashcam that I've ever used. Photos below were taken in a well-lit room, with minimal movement. It has the quality of a crappy webcam from the early 2000s. The sample images below are at its "best" resolution. And the video file sizes are super bloated, too. No idea how it's getting decent reviews on Amazon.

So, I'm back to considering a Mobious Action cam. Like this one. Anyone want to chime in on their experience with this one?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 1, 2016