Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Welp. Saw the Force Awakens today, drooled over how beautiful the white TIE fighters are. :swoon: Immediately bought $50 worth of X-Wing stuff just so I can play with them.

Although now I have no excuse to make fun of jivjov for his X-Wing collection when I have a ship I drool over now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This just means I get to fly Poe Dameron and Wedge Antilles against you. I'm a happy goon.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

Anyone else really hoping to see a miniature for Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle? Each scene it was in made me want to fly a little one around to blast Rebel Resistance scum.

It seems like the doorstop-shaped troop landers are not much bigger then a fighter, maybe HWK-290-sized? And the Resistance has the weird sideways brick command ship thingy to exploit as a large ship, as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure how much use a troop transport would be in X-wing though...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

jivjov posted:

Not sure how much use a troop transport would be in X-wing though...

The shuttle exists.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bunnyofdoom posted:

The shuttle exists.

Yeah...but that at least has visible guns.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It won't be in the game, the TIE shuttle title for the bomber does the same job.

Is what I would say if FFG didn't constantly double up on redundant ships :v:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The rebel transport exists. No reason to think they couldn't do something similar to that and pack in a fancy TIE or something.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Just put 6 TIE/FOs on the table today. drat it was sexy as hell.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I ran this at a tournament today:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!62:18:5:15:M.1;187:152,153:-1:1:;28:18:5:15:M.5

This list murders anything that relies on actions to survive. I think I'm in love.

I'm still not sold on Soontir as the third prong, though. I desperately wanted a blocker in the first game. I'm super tempted to drop Soontir for 3x academy pilots...

HoBgoBLiNs
Feb 26, 2005

Some women find facial scars attractive. Mind you, most of those women are krogan...

KO Derf posted:

Just put 6 TIE/FOs on the table today. drat it was sexy as hell.

Yes it was, even if I happened to be on the receiving end of it. At least my Integrated Astromechs kept me going a little longer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chemmy posted:

They can't be shot at until you deploy them (behind the enemy), I think.

Correct. If the ship they're docked to dies they get to deploy then take a point of damage, but otherwise, docked ships are not in play at all until they're launched, so they can't be affected by anything, or do anything.

Madurai posted:

It seems like the doorstop-shaped troop landers are not much bigger then a fighter, maybe HWK-290-sized? And the Resistance has the weird sideways brick command ship thingy to exploit as a large ship, as well.

The only other one I wonder about is Han's giant freighter that swallows the Falcon. We've all been hankering for a huge Scum ship, after all...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

thespaceinvader posted:

The only other one I wonder about is Han's giant freighter that swallows the Falcon. We've all been hankering for a huge Scum ship, after all...
Yes, but I always figured they'd either invent something new like they did with the Raider or just raid the EU (maybe grabbing the Crusader-Class Corvette from Forces of Corruption, for instance-they already grabbed the Assault Frigate from Empire at War for Armada. Han's ship is only ever identified with Han & Chewie, not any other organisation, and we don't have much grasp of its capabilities.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes, but I always figured they'd either invent something new like they did with the Raider or just raid the EU (maybe grabbing the Crusader-Class Corvette from Forces of Corruption, for instance-they already grabbed the Assault Frigate from Empire at War for Armada. Han's ship is only ever identified with Han & Chewie, not any other organisation, and we don't have much grasp of its capabilities.

Assault frigate is from Rebellion. A sadly underated game

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Okay, read the rules, crafted some theory, and ended up with this probably terrible abomination:

Tetran Cowall (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Carnor Jax (26)
Push the Limit (3)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Gamma Squadron Pilot (TIE Bomber) (18)
Proton Bombs (5)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)
Assault Missiles (4)

Total: 99 pts

General idea is to use the Interceptors to harry the opponent into range of the Bomber's heavy weaponry. I could turn the Proton Bombs into a Seismic Charge to upgrade the bomber pilot to Captain Jonus, and something is telling me that I'm probably missing the point of TIE fighters by beefing Tetran's defenses up that much and I should drop a bunch of upgrades to squeeze a cheap TIE in there, but hopefully it's not the worst first outing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ordnance generally is a little low-rent and difficult to work and Bombers generally are held to be a little weak.

Interceptors are almost always fielded with Push the Limit/Stealth Device/Autothrusters; they're flimsy as poo poo when they get hit, and it's cheaper and better to make them much, much harder to hit by getting out of arcs and/or having focus and evade tokens, than it is to mitigate the damage. ANd if you're going to buff up one pilot and not the other of two identical ships, you almost always want the buffed one to be the more expensive, higher-pilot-skill one.

The bomber will get a lot better once Long Ranged Sensors come out and it can reliably have TL/Focus together for missile firings.

All that being said, it looks like a list you would have fun playing, though it's never going to be very competitive; you wouldn't want to run it for a tournament but for a home game or a weekly club game it'll do fine.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

The Lord of Hats posted:

General idea is to use the Interceptors to harry the opponent into range of the Bomber's heavy weaponry. I could turn the Proton Bombs into a Seismic Charge to upgrade the bomber pilot to Captain Jonus, and something is telling me that I'm probably missing the point of TIE fighters by beefing Tetran's defenses up that much and I should drop a bunch of upgrades to squeeze a cheap TIE in there, but hopefully it's not the worst first outing.

It's a good idea, but unfortunately ordnance isn't quite that spectacular. So you might want to keep it to a minimum.
Loading up your interceptors is a good idea, and since you're limited in cards right now (Starter kit, a TIE Bomber, Imperial Aces), I think you should consider beefing up Jax and moving to a higher Pilot Skill Bomber.
Leave Tetran as is, add Royal Guard and Shield Upgrade to Jax.
That leaves you with 30 points for a TIE Bomber. So maybe Jonus (even though you don't really get his benefit) with determination and a torpedo and bomb, or Rhymer with a single torpedo/missile.

Or if you are up for proxying cards, it's a whole new world of things you can add.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

BTW, be up for proxying cards, or just printing out lists from the list builder. How do you know what you want to buy if you don't play it first?

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Duplicate post

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, just working with what little I've got here so I don't have the tools to get the Interceptors really moving. I'll definitely keep that in mind, though, probably switch some stuff around. It'll at least be fun to doodle around with as I inevitably get my rear end kicked.

What ship would I get Stealth Device and Autothrusters from, anyways?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
So what's wrong with ordnance? (I have yet to play the game yet so assume I don't know anything!)

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

The Lord of Hats posted:

You can use the squad builders as they have that info, or you can check the wiki:
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth_Device (Slave 1 and M3-A)
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Autothrusters (StarViper)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ghetto wormhole posted:

So what's wrong with ordnance? (I have yet to play the game yet so assume I don't know anything!)

It's generally range limited (sometimes extremely), and has poor action economy. You have to take a target lock in order to fire most ordnance, but firing the ordnance spends the target lock (with one exception) and leaves you with no or very little ways to modify your dice. It's generally better to save your modifiers for primary weapon attacks unless you have a way to generate more actions or somehow keep target locks between shots (Redline with FCS, Colonel Vessery).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, just working with what little I've got here so I don't have the tools to get the Interceptors really moving. I'll definitely keep that in mind, though, probably switch some stuff around. It'll at least be fun to doodle around with as I inevitably get my rear end kicked.

KO Derf posted:

You can use the squad builders as they have that info, or you can check the wiki:
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Stealth_Device (Slave 1 and M3-A)
http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Autothrusters (StarViper)
Slave 1 is a good investment, the M3A is probably the worst ship in the game, the StarViper is OK, but only useful if you plan on playing Scum or want Autothrusters. It's pretty widely expected that both will receive some kind of fix over the next year or so. But it would be doubtful whether the autothrusters would be included again, and they're the only really essential card in either pack.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Generally, it's way overcosted. Some bombs are worth it if you can position them right, but with the exception of Proton Rockets, every single missile and torpedo is almost always not worth taking, because you get a single big attack (which is great) typically without many dice mods because it needs a TL or Focus to be spent to fire it, and the enemy in arc, which means that without some kind of action multiplication to let you get TL/Focus in the same turn, you're doing a big attack with poor mods, which works out about the same as a small attack with mods, and it's costing you half a ship.

Proton Rockets are good because they don't need a TL and don't SPEND the focus, so you generally get a 5-die attack on any ship that's going to equip them (basically A-wings and TIE Defenders) and A-wings in particular get a lot out of them - but OTOH, they cost a-wings 2 points more, because you could have had Chaardan Refit in the same slot....

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Homing Missiles are also extremely cool, because you keep the Target Lock and you also prevent using evade tokens.

Also the M3-A is the cheapest way to get both a Mangler Cannon and a Stealth Device so it gets points for that, even if the ship itself sucks.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ghetto wormhole posted:

Most of them require spending a Target Lock to fire, which requires an action to acquire. The benefits they give aren't significantly better than you'd have gotten by spending that action to focus, or using that lock for the rerolls. Where the benefits are good enough, they aren't really worth the points you're spending on a single attack. Homing Missiles don't spend your lock, but are expensive as hell. Their Advanced variety are very limited by their range requirement, and Missile platforms generally lack the tools to dictate range. Proton Rockets are expensive as hell on A-Wings and only really usable otherwise on TIEs Advanced, which have better toys these days.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

Most of them require spending a Target Lock to fire, which requires an action to acquire. The benefits they give aren't significantly better than you'd have gotten by spending that action to focus, or using that lock for the rerolls. Where the benefits are good enough, they aren't really worth the points you're spending on a single attack. Homing Missiles don't spend your lock, but are expensive as hell. Their Advanced variety are very limited by their range requirement, and Missile platforms generally lack the tools to dictate range. Proton Rockets are expensive as hell on A-Wings and only really usable otherwise on TIEs Advanced, which have better toys these days.

Defenders can do Prockets as well pretty effectively, but unfortunately for them the fixes being issued next wave will not really help with ordnance for them, as one relies on using cannons and primary weapons, and the other takes aware the missile slot.

I really want ordnance to be better D:

Just from my time playing the Rogue Squadron games where a single proton torp would murder a TIE fighter in one shot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The thing is, for a lot of ships, all you get for spending all that stuff to make it good is one dice on one attack. A proton torpedo on an X-wing gives you a wonderful one extra die and you lose your TL modification to do so. That's four points, on one attack. You can make that attack better, but then you might as well get predator/lone wolf/etc. and use it on your primary attack.

Many people vastly overvalue getting an extra dice on an attack, which is why they try to shove expose in wherever they can.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

The thing is, for a lot of ships, all you get for spending all that stuff to make it good is one dice on one attack. A proton torpedo on an X-wing gives you a wonderful one extra die and you lose your TL modification to do so. That's four points, on one attack. You can make that attack better, but then you might as well get predator/lone wolf/etc. and use it on your primary attack.

Many people vastly overvalue getting an extra dice on an attack, which is why they try to shove expose in wherever they can.

Ordnance's high alpha can come in handy if you blow an enemy ship out of space before it fires. It doesn't really matter if you used two Torpedoes to blow up a TIE fighter, you're still coming out ahead in the points, and now you have normal attacks while the enemy does not. Upgrades like Predator go a long way toward making ordnance useful, too, for the ones that require spending target locks (and once again are also useful after the ordnance has been spent).

My second favorite thing to do with ordnance (that isn't Miranda with Jan helping out on a Homing Missile) is put a Proton Torpedo on Wedge with Predator. Four dice against one (potentially two) fewer defense dice with a reroll and a focus to a crit hurts. You have a pretty good chance of blowing TIE Fighters and Z-95s out of the sky with one shot, and anything with low shields will hurt really bad.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, and I'm really not sure FFG have quite got the balance right on this issue either. I mean, Punishing One will be TWELVE points (i.e. an entire z95) for +1 die on primary weapon. I mean, it does put Dengar on a par with Han for cost, and his ability is probably on a par as well, but it feels like they've probably undercosted him without the title maybe? I mean, it will be plausible to run 3 punishing ones, with Dengar/title and two generics, and I can't see that being outright bad...

E: I am super looking forward to Punishing One though. It seems likely to rival PTL superdash for Scum and yes, all the yes.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 20, 2015

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The breakpoint between 2 and 3 dice is a lot more important than 3 to 4. I think 12 points is entirely fair.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, and I'm really not sure FFG have quite got the balance right on this issue either. I mean, Punishing One will be TWELVE points (i.e. an entire z95) for +1 die on primary weapon. I mean, it does put Dengar on a par with Han for cost, and his ability is probably on a par as well, but it feels like they've probably undercosted him without the title maybe? I mean, it will be plausible to run 3 punishing ones, with Dengar/title and two generics, and I can't see that being outright bad...

E: I am super looking forward to Punishing One though. It seems likely to rival PTL superdash for Scum and yes, all the yes.

You could run three JumpMasters, but i'm not sure it would be a great idea.

But, yes, Scum got their Super Dash and it will be awesome.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

Nobody's going to pay the financial or points cost to run three big ships whose primary weapons are stuck at 2 red dice is the thing. How many Wild Space Fingers do you generally see people running?

Punishing One, the title, costs as much as a Headhunter, sure. So does Outrider + HLC. Dengar + Punishing One is the same points cost as Dash + Outrider + a Mangler Cannon (going with 3 dice for comparison's sake even though very few people use Mangler on Dash) so points wise the title seems appropriately coated for what's essentially a Scum Outrider.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sarmhan posted:

The breakpoint between 2 and 3 dice is a lot more important than 3 to 4. I think 12 points is entirely fair.

I know it's important, what I wonder is whether the base cost should be higher, which in turn would make the upgrade cost less. 45 points sounds about right for Dengar (though it's difficult to tell for sure without more spoilers) but sub-33 points for a large ship with 9HP and barrel roll is going to make for some potentially hilarious blockers. Probably sub-30, if previous costings for similar ships are anything to go by (i.e. 2 points per increase in PS, which would leave the lowest cost ones at 27 points each...)

In a way the cost of the title is actually relatively irrelevant, as its cost should be precisely the difference between what a single JumpMaster costs without and with, so the costs of the ship without and with are far more important.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

thespaceinvader posted:

I know it's important, what I wonder is whether the base cost should be higher, which in turn would make the upgrade cost less. 45 points sounds about right for Dengar (though it's difficult to tell for sure without more spoilers) but sub-33 points for a large ship with 9HP and barrel roll is going to make for some potentially hilarious blockers. Probably sub-30, if previous costings for similar ships are anything to go by (i.e. 2 points per increase in PS, which would leave the lowest cost ones at 27 points each...)

In a way the cost of the title is actually relatively irrelevant, as its cost should be precisely the difference between what a single JumpMaster costs without and with, so the costs of the ship without and with are far more important.

To be fair, this is basically what the Millenium Falcon title should've been, rather than how they structured that particular expansion and the pilots.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

You could run three JumpMasters, but i'm not sure it would be a great idea.

But, yes, Scum got their Super Dash and it will be awesome.

Dengar with Glitterstim is going to be beautiful. Arcdodge at PS9 pop stim, two shots and all the defences with free focus. Double stress, sure, but you probably wipe someone out into the bargain.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bunnyofdoom posted:

Assault frigate is from Rebellion. A sadly underrated game

Actually, we're both right! The Assault Frigate Mark. I appeared in Rebellion, but Empire At War introduced the Assault Frigate Mk. II, which is the one that FFG used for Armada. :ullerrm:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I have the beginnings of a potentially pretty fun list, and I'd like a little input on what to fill the last points with.

Poe Dameron (31) [39]
R5-P9 (3)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Red Ace (29) [38]
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 77

Yes, it's the unkillable pair of X-wings. The problem is that with as hard to take down as the two of them are, their offense is only that of two X-wings, and if I have anything else along with it'll get focused down pretty hard because it'll probably be easier to kill.

So, my question is: Do I add a Gold with an Ion Cannon for some crowd control, or do I add Dutch to help boost the offense with TLs all around?

I could also swap Autothrusters off Poe for Integrated Astromech, which would free me up to 25 points. That's enough for a Blue Squad Rookie with a 1 point Astro (likely R5) and Integrated Astromech.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 21, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

I have the beginnings of a potentially pretty fun list, and I'd like a little input on what to fill the last points with.

Poe Dameron (31) [39]
R5-P9 (3)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Red Ace (29) [38]
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 77

Yes, it's the unkillable pair of X-wings. The problem is that with as hard to take down as the two of them are, their offense is only that of two X-wings, and if I have anything else along with it'll get focused down pretty hard because it'll probably be easier to kill.

So, my question is: Do I add a Gold with an Ion Cannon for some crowd control, or do I add Dutch to help boost the offense with TLs all around?

I could also swap Autothrusters off Poe for Integrated Astromech, which would free me up to 25 points. That's enough for a Blue Squad Rookie with a 1 point Astro (likely R5) and Integrated Astromech.

Biggs is the answer. The only thing worse than two things that take forever to kill are two things that you can't even shoot for the first pass or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Biggs is the answer. The only thing worse than two things that take forever to kill are two things that you can't even shoot for the first pass or two.

Biggs is the epitome of X-wing fragility. I don't have the points for anything to put on him, which means no integrated, no durability enhancements, nothing. I will be able to rely on him for, at most, one round of firing. X-wings hate being focused on.

Biggs was good back when the game had exactly one 3 Red ship. Now that 3 Red ships are absolutely everywhere, he's not as good.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 21, 2015

• Locked thread