Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Can someone put together a list of rules that people often get wrong or overlook? I keep seeing stuff like people barrel rolling at the beginning of their movement and I'm all like WHOA you can do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq_xpkL72U0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jumping into this, buying the old starter soon. Wanna get my TIE swarm on.

Or at least a bunch of TIE fighters. Maybe not quite a swarm.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 19, 2015

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

This hurts me.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The Gate posted:

5) you can only measure ranges in the shooting phase, and only from the ship that's firing next, OR you can measure ranges for an ability when it is relevant to check. No measuring shooting range or arcs in the movement phase.

You can fudge this by trying to target lock ships that are out of range in the movement phase. Lets you check range to that ship and if another ship happens to be in line between you and the out of range ship, then well you know, poo poo happens.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Pyronic posted:

This hurts me.

You think that hurts? Try this.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmodee-will-operate-asmodee-north-a

(Summary, FFG may have restricted online sales in the near future which may mean lower availability and no discount prices. We don't know for sure, but it sure doesn't look like good news.)

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

A while back someone posted an article that gave a breakdown of the competitive archetypes (I think after Worlds) and the price of the lists. I've been looking through the thread and can't seem to find it. Granted I may have missed it because I'm on my phone.

Could someone post a link to that article? Thanks!

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Indolent Bastard posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmodee-will-operate-asmodee-north-a

(Summary, FFG may have restricted online sales in the near future which may mean lower availability and no discount prices. We don't know for sure, but it sure doesn't look like good news.)

fortunately I get good prices from my LGS as long as its something they can get, (like Most Wanted being so fuckin hard to get)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Gate posted:

Common mistakes:

1) focus changes all eye results on one roll, not just one result.
2) secondary weapons like cannons and Missiles don't add an extra attack/defense die are range 1 and 3
3) flying over a rock or bumping a ship makes you lose your action step, but you can take another action if something gives you one later in the turn (friendly abilities for example)
4) move then action, but there are a few things (Advanced Sensors) that give you your action before you move.
5) you can only measure ranges in the shooting phase, and only from the ship that's firing next, OR you can measure ranges for an ability when it is relevant to check. No measuring shooting range or arcs in the movement phase.

Probably the most common tripping points.

What do you do when someone resolutely refuses to even bother learning the rules? There's one guy at my club who's been playing about as long as I have, but so far every single game I've seen him play he's just sort of... picked pilots and thrown upgrade cards at them until he hits 100 points - not given a gently caress about slots or legality - and then had not a loving scooby what they do. This afternoon I and our most experienced player must have explained PTL Jake Farrell to him at least twice every turn and it just didn't stick.

On another note, I saw the film today. Definitely good, definitely Star Wars, but not the best film I've seen this year. It didn't quite hit the dizzy heights of excitement I've felt in some films, but that might just have been the low initial expectations influencing me.

I'd see it again.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Pyronic posted:

fortunately I get good prices from my LGS as long as its something they can get, (like Most Wanted being so fuckin hard to get)

There's a game store in the town where I go to college that sells things at miniature market prices (1/3 off MSRP). I don't normally go down there to get games because it's a bit out of my way even on days I have classes (and I only have classes 3 days a week because it's almost an hour to get there), but if this change goes live and they cut off the online retailers, then I'll be their favorite new customer.

The only reason I've been able to afford this expensive hobby is because the price point has been so attractive with discount retailers. It's going to hurt me if they take that away.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Indolent Bastard posted:

That would fit with a lot of the clearing house sales I've seen on armada this week.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

thespaceinvader posted:

What do you do when someone resolutely refuses to even bother learning the rules?

Play other people. There's one guy who's terrible but insists that he's a great player and so good. I've pretty much stopped playing him cause it's like talking to a wall trying to give any advice.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

Wow. GW tried this stunt for years. Let's see if it pays off!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

From the film last night, I'd really love to see the two-seat Tie Fighter variant with a rear facing turret and Poe's Black X-Wing as the next set of expansions but that might be too many X-Wing/Tie fighters.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Gate posted:

Play other people. There's one guy who's terrible but insists that he's a great player and so good. I've pretty much stopped playing him cause it's like talking to a wall trying to give any advice.

I try to avoid him, but he comes to EVERYTHING, and we do a decent amount of random matches.

He's always insisting he's JUST HERE TO HAVE FUN OK and he JUST NEEDS TO LEARN THE RULES A BIT BETTER but... you've had just as long as I have, you've spent several times as much money, but... you just don't seem to have taken on board that this game is fun BECAUSE of the rules.

Like, this time round, he brought a bunch of 3d terrain - which is great, it makes the game look better - but he got a little sulky when I brought out the rock templates anyway, because... how are you supposed to check for obstruction or land on a rock when it's a painted bit of pumice stone on a flight stand?

I still used the things, but I balanced them on the normal rock templates.

He's coming to all the tournaments in spring, and I just hope I'm not going to get matched against him D: Fortunately though he's moving away soon.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

two-seat Tie Fighter variant with a rear facing turret
I'd be surprised if this doesn't come out eventually, though I'm not sure it actually looks different from the basic one. Poe's x-wing from the opening sequence with the hot-shot blaster would also have been cool.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spoiler tagging because TFA:

AndyElusive posted:

(Re: Ello Asty) He'll probably get his rear end exploded in Ep 7 like all good X-Wang pilots.

I loving knew it. :smith:

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

From the film last night, I'd really love to see the two-seat Tie Fighter variant with a rear facing turret and Poe's Black X-Wing as the next set of expansions but that might be too many X-Wing/Tie fighters.

In a game called X-Wing you cannot have too many X-Wings.

Since the TIE Fighter is the Yin to the X-Yang you cannot have too many TIE Fighters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I could see A Force Awakens upgrade sets centered around Han's freighter for resistance/scum that has Rey and Finn pilots/crew and storm trooper transport for FO that has non-unique titles for TIE/FO that give it crew and turret upgrade slots. Both can be centered around making boarding actions against large ships they're in base to base contact with. You know, transfer an equipped crew card to an enemy ship that adds a Damage every turn effect.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

yeah, the big giant freighter that eats the Falcon could be that huge Scum ship everyone's been wanting.

On a vaguely related note, I'm hoping to apply to be a playtester soon. I could see that being hugely fun, albeit suuuuuper-difficult to keep from spoiling stuff...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

I try to avoid him, but he comes to EVERYTHING, and we do a decent amount of random matches.

He's always insisting he's JUST HERE TO HAVE FUN OK and he JUST NEEDS TO LEARN THE RULES A BIT BETTER but... you've had just as long as I have, you've spent several times as much money, but... you just don't seem to have taken on board that this game is fun BECAUSE of the rules.

Like, this time round, he brought a bunch of 3d terrain - which is great, it makes the game look better - but he got a little sulky when I brought out the rock templates anyway, because... how are you supposed to check for obstruction or land on a rock when it's a painted bit of pumice stone on a flight stand?

I still used the things, but I balanced them on the normal rock templates.

He's coming to all the tournaments in spring, and I just hope I'm not going to get matched against him D: Fortunately though he's moving away soon.

If he doesn't know the rules and somehow insists on playing you then insist on using the rules correctly. Don't get huffy or lovely about it, just patiently explain each and every time he messes something up and keep doing it no matter how sulky he gets. No Bob, we're using the asteroid templates because that's how you check to see if a ship lands on one or goes through it or something, doesn't matter how nice you think those 3D rocks are, this isn't 40K. Bring a rulebook and the FAQ if you need to. As I see it either A). it'll finally start to sink in or B). he'll start avoiding you.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Indolent Bastard posted:

quote:

Q: I want to sell products from Asmodee North America online, how do I do this?
A: We will be very selective as to which online merchants will be authorized to sell our products. To qualify as an online merchant, you will need to contribute either significant scale, unique service, or other exceptional differentiation. Most online sales activities, including sales through third party websites, will not be authorized.

Sky isn't falling, etc.

I'll continue to buy from my FLGS that sells at 10% off MSRP and has a rewards program.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I really don't understand that. "We won't sell our products to you if you're going to sell them online, unless you buy a ton of products from us." Why do they care what people who don't buy enough product to matter do with them?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

If he doesn't know the rules and somehow insists on playing you then insist on using the rules correctly. Don't get huffy or lovely about it, just patiently explain each and every time he messes something up and keep doing it no matter how sulky he gets. No Bob, we're using the asteroid templates because that's how you check to see if a ship lands on one or goes through it or something, doesn't matter how nice you think those 3D rocks are, this isn't 40K. Bring a rulebook and the FAQ if you need to. As I see it either A). it'll finally start to sink in or B). he'll start avoiding you.

This is basically my strategy already.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poopy Palpy posted:

I really don't understand that. "We won't sell our products to you if you're going to sell them online, unless you buy a ton of products from us." Why do they care what people who don't buy enough product to matter do with them?

Yeah it's odd. This only screws with small stores that also have online presence. However, I do know of people who have licenses and sell these things in small quantities online so they want to get rid of those too? IDGI. Could keep people or clubs with this sort of arrangement out but they'll buy from the next cheapest option anyway.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Poopy Palpy posted:

Up until now, they have been selling their products to everyone at the same price and under the same contract terms. This has allowed online stores with massive sales volumes to offer huge discounts of 30%+. What they're doing with this move is creating a special category for those retailers in their sales contract. Most likely those stores will get hit with higher prices and/or a maximum discount policy and/or other lovely clauses like that.

They claim it's meant to help FLGS's be more competitive with online retailers. The cynic in me can't help but notice a fortuitous side effect of this benevolent policy: Asmodee ends up squeezing a bit more money out of the clients that buy the most from them and can probably afford it while mostly keeping their smaller clients happy.

In the end, wangs will still be readily available in the internet, just more expensive. How much more expensive remains to be seen.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd be surprised if this doesn't come out eventually, though I'm not sure it actually looks different from the basic one. Poe's x-wing from the opening sequence with the hot-shot blaster would also have been cool.

There were definitely two TIE Fighter variants. Normal TIE Fighters identical to the ones in the original trilogy, and the "special forces" ones. The SF ones look very different from the rear , have beefy cog-things around the struts connecting the pod to the panels, and apparently have two crew.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've had some $200 store credit at an LGS so I'll probably start using it next year. I imagine it's enough to keep playing for a couple years cuz I'll probably only need the Falcon with Rey pilot on it anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Normal TIE Fighters identical to the ones in the original trilogy

The TIE/fo is not quite identical to the normal TIE. Well, the mini isn't, anyway.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

The TIE/fo is not quite identical to the normal TIE. Well, the mini isn't, anyway.

I'm holding the OG TIE and the FO TIE right now and I don't see any difference except the paintjob.

e: the cockpit hatch on the FO TIE is slightly bigger, and the round engine-thing on the rear is very slightly wider. :shrug:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

IIRC the struts are a slightly different shape as well. My point though, is that they're not exactly the same mini though, so...

They're more similar than any other two minis in the game thus far, but they're not the same.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Anyone else really hoping to see a miniature for Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle? Each scene it was in made me want to fly a little one around to blast Rebel Resistance scum.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 19, 2015

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

The list I'm planning on running for tournaments next year is Oicunn with Predator, Mara, Vader, Isard, Dauntless, and Whisper with Rebel Captive, VI, ACD, FCS, for 99 points.
I'm running something similar with pretty good results. My advice though is rethink Dauntless, because the stress with prevent isards free evade action. If you drop it then the 3 point initiative bid will all but ensure whisper shoots before soontir et al.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Duct Tape posted:

Anyone else really hoping to see a miniature for Kylo Ren's Assault Shuttle? Each scene it was in made me want to fly a little one around to blast Rebel Resistance scum.

Yes it's flat and has a ton of surface area. You could fit a couple sweet murals on it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

I'm running something similar with pretty good results. My advice though is rethink Dauntless, because the stress with prevent isards free evade action. If you drop it then the 3 point initiative bid will all but ensure whisper shoots before soontir et al.

I'm rethinking the Decimator all over the place at the moment, I need some practice with the list. I'm currently sitting at this:
"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Darth Vader (3)
Gunner (5)
Ysanne Isard (4)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I could drop to Kenkirk and put the Rebel Captive back in, which I think leverages Gunner better as the extra survivability will be strong, but I think Int Agent is very strong. As is Chiraneau, especially shooting at PS10.
I also have half a mind to keeping things reasonably cheap, with this involving buying 3 large ships which is a bit painful but not awful.

E: on another note, can anyone think of a trick to mask off areas of the Decimator? The greeblies are getting thoroughly in the way to masking for my dazzle camo scheme, and there's no freaking chance that I'll be able to freehand it well enough to look good.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
If you swap Isane for engine upgrade, it's what I'm using. I figure dodging arcs is a better defence than one evade token. Downfall is being too risky with whisper and her dying first. Chiraneau plowing in and doing as much as damage as possible is really fun, and against any soontir list you can just laugh in their face.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I like the Engine Upgrade but I feel like it really needs PTL to be good, at which point you REALLY want Isard in there so you can PTL at the start of combat.

I dunno, I'm going to have to pick something, I'll try to get a few games in against strong opponents on Wednesday and work out what I'm doing with it.

E: and Kenkirk and Isard together actually makes the Decimator have a respectable amount of agility for a big ship when it's lost its shields, which you can make happen PDQ with Vader and Gunner.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I find between chiraneaus ability and gunner he doesn't even need actions to be effective. Flipping an eyeball to a crit shooting at PS10 is so good.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Having seen TFA I think it's now entirely necessary FFG provides us a Rey pilot card for the Millenium Falcon, and her ability should be letting it do a tallon roll.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm weak. I was Christmas shopping today and they were doing X-wing demos and now I have the starter kit, a TIE Bomber and two TIE elites because goddammit I love TIE Fighters so much they're so cool you guys. :negative:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So what's the main benefit in docking ships on the Gozanti?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm weak. I was Christmas shopping today and they were doing X-wing demos and now I have the starter kit, a TIE Bomber and two TIE elites because goddammit I love TIE Fighters so much they're so cool you guys. :negative:

I just bought the Force Awakens core set today! Excited to start playing Wangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

CODChimera posted:

So what's the main benefit in docking ships on the Gozanti?

They can't be shot at until you deploy them (behind the enemy), I think.

• Locked thread