Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Radish posted:

I liked the movie and it was real fun but thinking about it, it really felt like they took A New Hope and reskinned it (but did a great job). I'm hoping the next two don't just follow the story beats of the original trilogy. For instance I don't want Vader Jr getting redeemed at the last minute by Rey so that he can join the light side then die heroically. Dude need to embrace his shittiness then get killed by Chewie.

Nah, I'm pretty sure there's a redemption arc in it for Kylo Ren. I'd respect them more if they didn't, but it seems pretty obvious they will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure there's a redemption arc in it for Kylo Ren. I'd respect them more if they didn't, but it seems pretty obvious they will

I don't know. He might actually be beyond redemption. Sure, Anakin killed a bunch of kids, but he did that after we had already seen him be redeemed and we also didn't give a poo poo about those kids. We care about Han Solo. Chewie cares about Han Solo. Leia cares about Han Solo. There will be conflict in Leia, but Chewie is going to try and murder that kid every opportunity he gets and I would expect nothing less. If he does get redeemed, I'll actually be disappointed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I really liked the new Star Wars movie, for the most part.

I really was just happy that they made it really fun. It is easy to forget that these are basically children's movies, so for a piece of genre fiction it was high quality. I can see the problems, but cartoon villainy is great in this. The Stormtroopers actually seem like elite soldiers too!

My main complaint is that the First Empire is ruled by a hologram and not a 40 foot tall evil wizard.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't know. He might actually be beyond redemption. Sure, Anakin killed a bunch of kids, but he did that after we had already seen him be redeemed and we also didn't give a poo poo about those kids. We care about Han Solo. Chewie cares about Han Solo. Leia cares about Han Solo. There will be conflict in Leia, but Chewie is going to try and murder that kid every opportunity he gets and I would expect nothing less. If he does get redeemed, I'll actually be disappointed.

While this is true, don't forget that a Vader-like redemption is literally a last minute one and that Chewie killing him is only possible if they meet while they are both still alive.

My main gripe with the movie is that in a few points people are literally saying what's happening on the screen at each others. IE: "the cannon has been blocked in a forward position!". Oh, also I didn't like the tavern owner; she's a giant plot device - at least at the moment, I'm sure there will be more exposition in the next movie - and she's also literally the only alien in the universe not speaking in gibberish/with a weird voice. Also she really seems to be a sub-in for Yoda - both in aspect and with the whole "the Force flows through every thing and creature" speach, while falling a bit flat on that aspect.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

While this is true, don't forget that a Vader-like redemption is literally a last minute one and that Chewie killing him is only possible if they meet while they are both still alive.

My main gripe with the movie is that in a few points people are literally saying what's happening on the screen at each others. IE: "the cannon has been blocked in a forward position!". Oh, also I didn't like the tavern owner; she's a giant plot device - at least at the moment, I'm sure there will be more exposition in the next movie - and she's also literally the only alien in the universe not speaking in gibberish/with a weird voice. Also she really seems to be a sub-in for Yoda - both in aspect and with the whole "the Force flows through every thing and creature" speach, while falling a bit flat on that aspect.

TBF on the first one, the cannon being stuck isn't exactly something Rey would have otherwise easily known, and they needed to co-ordinate to kill the TIE.

The more I think about it the more it bugs me just HOW MUCH of a remake rather than a sequel it is. There are just so many clear parallels with ANH. It's not a bad thing per se, but it would have been nice if they could have told a new story rather than rehashing an old one.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really was just happy that they made it really fun. It is easy to forget that these are basically children's movies, so for a piece of genre fiction it was high quality. I can see the problems, but cartoon villainy is great in this. The Stormtroopers actually seem like elite soldiers too!

My main complaint is that the First Empire is ruled by a hologram and not a 40 foot tall evil wizard.

a good post

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

a good post

Moola do a cam girl vid while using a lightsaber (@ yourself).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BTW, we should take bets on Asmodee doing a GW with their latest actions and see how long it takes to bite them in the rear end. I'm saying 27 September 2016.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
What's happened with Asmodee?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Loxbourne posted:

What's happened with Asmodee?

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmodee-will-operate-asmodee-north-a

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I can forgive the cartoon villainy knowing that these guys are suppose to be full on Kool-Aid drinking Empire cultists. And it even necessitates the storm troopers being elite guard - fewer in numbers than the mass recruited storm troopers of before, but much more regimented and structured and elite than the original stormies could hope to be.

Yvonmukluk posted:

You mean like they went into massive detail explaining stuff in A New Hope? They did the exact same thing that movie did - drop you right into the middle of the universe and gradually feed you information about how stuff works, with exposition & worldbuilding occurring over the course of the plot like the Mofference in ANH. People bitched at the prequels for going into way too much detail about trade disputes and crap, but apparently taking a more hands off route and letting people figure it out from context in the movie (like they did the first time around) is apparently not good enough either. They explained what needed to be explained, you just had to be paying attention. Where you in the bathroom during Hux's big speech? That summed up the relationship between the Republic, Resistance and First Order clearly enough.

I think ANH worked, because it was like we were discovering the universe with Luke. Part of the confusion with the new movie I think comes from being familiar with the old movies - we're trying to make connections between the people we know to the people we see now, even if we're not suppose to make those connections. The relationship between the belligerents is well defined; it's just like if the original trilogy was about WWI and now we jump to WWII and who are these Nazis? And Mussolini? And are the British and Russians allies or not? And what the gently caress is going on with Poland? Basically, there's 20 (or 30) years of information that we're missing which cannot be put into the movie, and really isn't required to watch the movie, except for spergy spergs. Like I said, biggest hang up I had was I didn't understand the magnitude and scope of the First Order. Beyond that, it wasn't even a small thing that kept me from enjoying the movie and getting along in it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, they could have put some exposition about the First Order and the resistance in the loving scrolling text. The series already has an established mechanic for this sort of thing. I found out later why the Republic wasn't doing anything themselves. Turns out that explanation was in some dumb tie-in book or something. I don't like Star Wars enough to subject myself to that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ahahah what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Slimnoid posted:

Ahahah what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Private_equity.txt, basically.

They're owned by a French investment firm. Standard MO is to grow as quickly as possible and sell in 3-5 years and let the chumps who buy it fix the underlying problems. They already bought out multiple players in the BG scene, now they're doing vertical integration and looking to squeeze some more margin from it.

The real bitch is that unlike GW, Asmodee does make good stuff, and a lot of it. Looking at my board game collection, half of it is now Asmodee-owned. They're banking (probably correctly) that they can gaina few extra points of net profit with this move short term. By the time it has any negative impact the PE will have sold it off and be laughing all the way to the bank.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rip in piss asmodee

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Crackbone posted:

They're owned by a French investment firm. Standard MO is to grow as quickly as possible and sell in 3-5 years and let the chumps who buy it fix the underlying problems. They already bought out multiple players in the BG scene, now they're doing vertical integration and looking to squeeze some more margin from it.

The real bitch is that unlike GW, Asmodee does make good stuff, and a lot of it. Looking at my board game collection, half of it is now Asmodee-owned. They're banking (probably correctly) that they can gaina few extra points of net profit with this move short term. By the time it has any negative impact the PE will have sold it off and be laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh neat. Didn't realize this. Found a presentation about it though: https://www.eurazeo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Investor-Day_-Global_FINAL_DIFFlight21.pdf

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crackbone posted:

It's not really a move designed to increase profit, though- if they wanted to do that they'd just increase the wholesale price of their product. They're trying to make their products more appealing in the brick and mortar sense by limiting the discounts online retailers can offer. If it were just maximizing immediate sales, it doesn't matter whether it's MM selling at cost or your FLGS selling at MSRP because everyone buys from them at the same price.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I just got into XWing, too D:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Panzeh posted:

It's not really a move designed to increase profit, though- if they wanted to do that they'd just increase the wholesale price of their product. They're trying to make their products more appealing in the brick and mortar sense by limiting the discounts online retailers can offer. If it were just maximizing immediate sales, it doesn't matter whether it's MM selling at cost or your FLGS selling at MSRP because everyone buys from them at the same price.

I thought the whole point was classifying a category of large online retailers who they can then increase wholesale or limit discount or some other practice to increase margins.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

I just got into XWing, too D:

It will still exist, might just be a bit harder to buy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chill la Chill posted:

I thought the whole point was classifying a category of large online retailers who they can then increase wholesale or limit discount or some other practice to increase margins.

FFG gets the same amount of money no matter what the margin is for the retailer. They can increase the wholesale price but then it just gets pushed to the consumer and defeats the point. Asmodee probably thinks the brick and mortar stores are really important to their marketing and that super-discount online stores like MM and CSI are hurting those.

goatface posted:

It will still exist, might just be a bit harder to buy.

What's going to happen is that you're going to get 10-15% discount stuff from online stores instead of 30% discounts.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's X-Wing stuff on the shelves at Barnes & Noble (not just starters but a bunch of blisters and special packs), I doubt it'll become too scarce anytime soon.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
So correct me if I'm wrong, but FFG (or rather their owners), heretofore the "good" "smart" guys, have basically done exactly one of the Snidely Whiplash things that started GW down its current path? lmao

Yvonmukluk posted:

You mean like they went into massive detail explaining stuff in A New Hope? They did the exact same thing that movie did - drop you right into the middle of the universe and gradually feed you information about how stuff works, with exposition & worldbuilding occurring over the course of the plot like the Mofference in ANH. People bitched at the prequels for going into way too much detail about trade disputes and crap, but apparently taking a more hands off route and letting people figure it out from context in the movie (like they did the first time around) is apparently not good enough either. They explained what needed to be explained, you just had to be paying attention. Where you in the bathroom during Hux's big speech? That summed up the relationship between the Republic, Resistance and First Order clearly enough.

You're right, they did explain it onscreen (or at least to the extent that they did in ANH); fair enough. The problem is that the same level of explanation doesn't do for TFA what it did for ANH, because TFA has the burden of doing something that feels like a logical continuation of what came before. TFA not only has to literally inform me of what the current state of affairs in the galaxy is, it has to sell me on why exactly those state of affairs have fallen together to create a situation that feels so precisely like a remake of ANH.

If ANH was a sequel to a film that showed us, thirty years before in the same setting:

A "Death Star" type superweapon
A ragtag band of rebels with no fleet or resources to speak of mounting an operation from a series of glorified bunkers
A battle between exactly X-Wings and TIE FIghters to destroy that superweapon by starting a chain reaction in its core, moments before it could fire

Then the same level of explanation why we were back in that position 30 years later would have seemed facile, inadequate, lazy on the part of the creators, etc. So it does here.

(Note, this isn't even an exhaustive list, though the more things you can fix from the list, the better everything else becomes.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
stop talking about star wars

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

JerryLee posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but FFG (or rather their owners), heretofore the "good" "smart" guys, have basically done exactly one of the Snidely Whiplash things that started GW down its current path? lmao

Not entirely, no. They're not completely stopping online sales. They're limiting online sales to specific outlets that "contribute either significant scale, unique service, or other exceptional differentiation". So you can expect places like Amazon, B&N, CoolStuffInc, Miniature Market, Cardhaus and such to keep on selling Asmodee products online.

What's is going to change are the sales contracts those retailers operate under. Most likely the new online sale contracts will have different (worse) terms of sale than they give to physical retailers. They're saying this move is meant to help LGSs compete with online sellers.

Panzeh posted:

FFG gets the same amount of money no matter what the margin is for the retailer. They can increase the wholesale price but then it just gets pushed to the consumer and defeats the point. Asmodee probably thinks the brick and mortar stores are really important to their marketing and that super-discount online stores like MM and CSI are hurting those.

Any sort of discount limit or cost increase is ultimately going to be paid for by the consumer. The main question is where that extra money will be going. Increasing wholesale means Asmodee takes it. If they limit discounts it's the online retailers who get it. I can't imagine they'll take the option that is worse for themselves.

In any case, the CEO is supposed to release a statement tomorrow explaining what's going to happen to online retailers in response to the outrage seen in BGG and elsewhere. So we'll know more tomorrow.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 20, 2015

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Panzeh posted:

That's the PR spin. What they're doing is trying to cut out other distributors from the chain so they can sell direct to retailers for a better markup. Companies like CSI/MM "double dip" by buying at distributor prices and then sell directly to the public. What Asmodee will do is tell CSI/MM "hey, you claim to be a distributor, but in reality you're selling 90% of your product to the public - so we're going to sell to you at the price a retailer would buy at".

The bottom line will be that Asmodee gets a bigger cut of every game sold.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Crackbone posted:

That's the PR spin. What they're doing is trying to cut out other distributors from the chain so they can sell direct to retailers for a better markup. Companies like CSI/MM "double dip" by buying at distributor prices and then sell directly to the public. What Asmodee will do is tell CSI/MM "hey, you claim to be a distributor, but in reality you're selling 90% of your product to the public - so we're going to sell to you at the price a retailer would buy at".

But that also levels the playing field for LGSs, who aren't then being undercut in a way that they can't compete with.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Thundercloud posted:

But that also levels the playing field for LGSs, who aren't then being undercut in a way that they can't compete with.

Not really.

Much more likely they will up the price CSI/MM pays, but not enough to force them to match retail pricing. Even if there was complete price parity, the LGS still loses on every other metric. For CSI, I pay no sales tax, they have a HUGE inventory that rarely sells out, I get free shipping, their customer service is incredible, and I can order at 3am if I want. The ONLY thing LGS have to offer me is a potential meeting/shared space to play in.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crackbone posted:

CSI/MM aren't selling to retailers. They're getting the same detail retailers get right now.

Their main advantage is that they buy in the kind of volume from distributors that gets them into the 50-55% wholesale discount range where most retailers sit at 40-43% and can't sell with tiny margins due to their other costs.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Panzeh posted:

CSI/MM aren't selling to retailers. They're getting the same detail retailers get right now.

Their main advantage is that they buy in the kind of volume from distributors that gets them into the 50-55% wholesale discount range where most retailers sit at 40-43% and can't sell with tiny margins due to their other costs.

BGG news post posted:

The second "Channel of Sale" paragraph is meant to address the issue of distributors that act as retailers — that is, distributors that purchase goods from Asmodee, then transfer them at little or no cost to a retailer owned in whole or in part by the distributor, then resold to end-users. Goods handled in this way can be sold profitably by distributor-retailers at discounted prices that actual retailers cannot possibly match.

One way that ANA will police this policy is hinted at in another section of the SRP: "Retailer understands that ANA Distributors must provide ANA with frequent detailed reports outlining Retailer's ANA Product purchases from the ANA Distributor." In other words, ANA will know which distributors sold which products to which buyers.

I don't know who else this would apply to except CSI/MM.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Loose posted:

How would the Spartans feel about Star Wars? Do you think their slaves would like it more or less than the slaves in the Unites States?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Spartans had much more luck forcing their slaves to fight on their behalf.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I too would rather learn about Spartan slaves

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Broken Loose posted:

I'm empty-quoting BL here, guys.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
found a Y-Wing micromachines toy

probably gonna use it in X-wing

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
What the cock? In the year of our lord 2015 a company decides to curb online sales. "We will make our products harder to buy," they say, "because this makes sense." Note that they specifically ban retailers with physical stores from selling their products online. It can't be about supporting them, they'll inevitably take a hit.

In the future I'm looking at a 100 km round trip to buy from the physical store from which I usually order online, or paying 10-20 eur postage and waiting a week or two to get it from Amazon or whatever. My crystal ball tells me I'm going to be buying FFG products less often. Wangs are also getting less appealing considering buying new ships would be a hassle, and especially not worth it one or two at a time.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Broken Loose posted:

No. It is fun to talk about star wars. Objectively.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Star Wars is fun, like a game of Age of Sigmar! How do you know if you never tried it.

Elukka posted:

What the cock? In the year of our lord 2015 a company decides to curb online sales. "We will make our products harder to buy," they say, "because this makes sense." Note that they specifically ban retailers with physical stores from selling their products online. It can't be about supporting them, they'll inevitably take a hit.

In the future I'm looking at a 100 km round trip to buy from the physical store from which I usually order online, or paying 10-20 eur postage and waiting a week or two to get it from Amazon or whatever. My crystal ball tells me I'm going to be buying FFG products less often. Wangs are also getting less appealing considering buying new ships would be a hassle, and especially not worth it one or two at a time.

Are CEOs of gaming companies pants-on-head retarded? Because, god damned... Privateer Press, GW, Mantic, now FFG have made some drat dumb decisions that just makes them look like they have no idea what they want to be.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Looking at the Asmodee NA site, this new policy only applies to the US. So they're only pants-on-head retarded on one continent, fortunately! Maybe I can get my wangs in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah FFG makes some fantastic games, but it's not like they're the only players on that field.

They're probably mad people are buying $60 copies of Armada. There's absolutely no scenario where I'd pay $100 for it though.

Cutting out the discounters just eliminates cheap customers - it doesn't make games more desirable to anyone, it just raises the accessibility hurdle.

I could maybe understand if this came with a ton of additional brick and mortar support... but it looks more like they're just shouldering out the poors and "I just play with my friends" people.

• Locked thread