Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
To me it seems like Cripster thugs are running wild trying to make sure everyone agrees with the Brooklyn Coffee House approved political stances of today

Whitlock joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
All Brady had to do was decline comment or just refuse to talk politics in general. He brought this on himself.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

zakharov posted:

All Brady had to do was decline comment or just refuse to talk politics in general. He brought this on himself.

Right like that ever works

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
To me I don't see what the problem is with saying you support someone for president. Probably everyone's going to look like a dumb rear end after Donald Trump is elected president and Tom Brady hangs out with him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Parlett316 posted:

Right like that ever works
Worked for Jeter.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
It seems to me like you lose the ability to play the "I like them personally but disagree with their politics" card when you're supporting their run for President of the United States. That's typically a pretty strong endorsement of their politics.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

quote:

James is the current NBA standard and clearly in front of Curry by any measurement that can be applied, save 3-point shots, and, really, isn't that a gimmick more than basketball?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

quote:

Would Cubs fans trade any other team's World Series dividends for what the Cubs are? They may think so, but the Cubs would then be just another log on the woodpile, another slice from the same stale loaf.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crazy Ted posted:

In the interview, Wambach nailed the exact reasons for the international football pay gap, and proceeded to dismiss it that the same time by saying "treating people equally shouldn't cost money" or something like that. The Men's World Cup brings in something like 200-300 times the broadcast and sponsorship revenue that the Women's World Cup does. Of course the bonuses for the men's teams are going to be multiple times higher.

There are people who tend to think that because a lot of people watch WWC games here in the United States that it's a big deal among all of the powerful women's soccer countries. It really isn't. England made the semi-finals and I think they only had three full-time professionals in their team. Germany and Scandinavia support the women's game pretty well, and...that's about it outside of the United States?

Was this before or after Sepp Blatter said the key to making people watch the Women's World Cup was to make them wear booty shorts?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Luigi Thirty posted:

Was this before or after Sepp Blatter said the key to making people watch the Women's World Cup was to make them wear booty shorts?

Much, much after, but within hours of Gilbert Arenas saying the WNBA should be played in thongs.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

cory shcneder is so good

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

the reason wh bergeron didnt score is even tho schneider was off his angle, wh hAS a good intuitive understanding whw of where the puck is headed. you cant teach that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

on spec posted:

the reason wh bergeron didnt score is even tho schneider was off his angle, wh hAS a good intuitive understanding whw of where the puck is headed. you cant teach that.

Stay safe drunk NHL ghost

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Naturally, Tom Brady would support the candidate who's trying to take the air out of this country.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know why we even have elections when we could just have a conclave of Brady, Favre, and Tebow where they anoint the next president with sacred oils wiped from Madden's brow.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Jason Whitlock sums up his life (and I laugh out loud for 10 seconds, no lie)
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2015/12/21/jason-whitlock-says-he-wrong-fit-espn/77666854/

quote:

Q: If you stopped everything today, were hidden from the public eye forever, what would you want people to remember about you?

A: That I was honest and tried to follow the truth wherever it led. That I was good to my family and friends. That I loved the TV show 'The Wire,' the Masterpiece Lounge, Warren Central High School, Ball State University and long, romantic walks to the champagne room. Did I just ruin this whole interview? Can I apologize to my mother? Mama, I’m sorry.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Please remember me as having enjoyed The Wire

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
(bleeding out from gut wound, whispering to the man watching me die) Tell... Tell my friends I loved them. Tell that to my friends House, Toot-Toot, Big Mike, Barf, and Horse Diiiiiickkkk..... King st... King stay the Kiiiiiii (dies)

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by the movie swingers, saying that's money baby well into the 2010s, dragging themselves to quote gladiator well not gladiator the sopranos episode where Ralphie quotes gladiator

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Work Friend Keven posted:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by the movie swingers, saying that's money baby well into the 2010s, dragging themselves to quote gladiator well not gladiator the sopranos episode where Ralphie quotes gladiator

gently caress you man that saying is still money.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

(bleeding out from gut wound, whispering to the man watching me die) Tell... Tell my friends I loved them. Tell that to my friends House, Toot-Toot, Big Mike, Barf, and Horse Diiiiiickkkk..... King st... King stay the Kiiiiiii (dies)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ribsauce posted:

Jason Whitlock sums up his life (and I laugh out loud for 10 seconds, no lie)
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2015/12/21/jason-whitlock-says-he-wrong-fit-espn/77666854/

A financial tranaaction isn't romantic, and neither is forcible isolation.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

RIP Jason Whitlock, 1967 - Fat.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Glamorama26 posted:

RIP Jason Whitlock, 1967 - Fat.

He died as he lived.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Hahahaha

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The collapse of ESPN subscribers has begun, and it's affecting Disney's stock price enough that it's dropped while at the same time Star Wars is dominating the box office.

More and more cable operators are getting the idea that if sports channels want the kind of money they do, they should be a la carte premium networks like Showtime. Since I grew up with parents that thought sports were dumb, and couldn't enjoy any sports at all until I was nearly middle-aged, I have to empathize with people who don't like sports but see nearly half the cable bill going into sports carriage fees.

We subscribe to what is basically a "gently caress Sports" package with no ESPN or regional team-controlled channels. It'll be interesting to see the affect on salaries (I guess particularly in baseball where carriage contracts and free agent spending frequently align) if that eventually becomes a more and more popular option.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 27, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, we've been talking about this off and on for like the last ten pages.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Timby posted:

Yeah, we've been talking about this off and on for like the last ten pages.

It helps that the article being sourced is from literally a month ago

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Huh. Vox wrote an article today sourcing that for Disney's falling stock price. I check this thread off and on but got tired of the Grantland hubbub.

Still, I wonder what the economics would look like if, say, they took the blackouts off MLB TV and let people who just wanted to watch baseball buy it directly and let all the non-fans sit out.

E:

Frackie Robinson posted:

Are you saying there are people who don't like sports who still subscribe to cable?

Boomers are old, but they're still numerous for the next decade at least.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 28, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Craptacular! posted:

The collapse of ESPN subscribers has begun, and it's affecting Disney's stock price enough that it's dropped while at the same time Star Wars is dominating the box office.

More and more cable operators are getting the idea that if sports channels want the kind of money they do, they should be a la carte premium networks like Showtime. Since I grew up with parents that thought sports were dumb, and couldn't enjoy any sports at all until I was nearly middle-aged, I have to empathize with people who don't like sports but see nearly half the cable bill going into sports carriage fees.

We subscribe to what is basically a "gently caress Sports" package with no ESPN or regional team-controlled channels. It'll be interesting to see the affect on salaries (I guess particularly in baseball where carriage contracts and free agent spending frequently align) if that eventually becomes a more and more popular option.

Are you saying there are people who don't like sports who still subscribe to cable?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't know poo poo about baseball writing but St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist//ex-Orioles beat writer/ex-Atlanta Journal-Constitution writer Joe Strauss passed away this morning at 54.

He's the third Post-Dispatch writer to die since last December, holy gently caress.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 28, 2015

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
The best sports packages is the level 2 spanish package at Dish. Over 35 sports channels for $35 a month. Suck it ESPN.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The first seven articles on Deadspin right now:

Things I Learned in 2015 - Shared from Gawker
Deadspin Up All Night: Let's Make Lots Of Money - Deadspin
How to Dodge Dry Skin This Winter - Sponsored
Today's Best Deals: Editor's Choice Books, Discounted Coats, LED Beanie, and More - Shared from Deals
11 Times Science Fiction and Fantasy Gave Us Hope for the Future in 2015 - Shared from io9
How A Mario Character Was Named After Motorhead's Lemmy - Shared from Kotaku
Get 50% off the ZeroLemon 20,000mAh Mobile Battery with Solar Power - Sponsored

And they wonder why traffic is way down from where it was 2-3 years ago...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crazy Ted posted:

Things I Learned in 2015 - Shared from Gawker
Deadspin Up All Night: Let's Make Lots Of Money - Deadspin
How to Dodge Dry Skin This Winter - Sponsored
Today's Best Deals: Editor's Choice Books, Discounted Coats, LED Beanie, and More - Shared from Deals
11 Times Science Fiction and Fantasy Gave Us Hope for the Future in 2015 - Shared from io9
How A Mario Character Was Named After Motorhead's Lemmy - Shared from Kotaku
Get 50% off the ZeroLemon 20,000mAh Mobile Battery with Solar Power - Sponsored

And they wonder why traffic is way down from where it was 2-3 years ago...
I don't understand why they bother having separate sites if it's just going to aggregate them all anyway.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
If Crazy Ted had just waited a few hours, his list would've included an article about fingering your butthole.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't understand why they bother having separate sites if it's just going to aggregate them all anyway.

Because a lot of Kotaku readers probably don't overlap with a lot of Deadspin readers probably don't overlap with a lot of Jezebel readers. They built up their individual brands enough that people don't notice anymore that Gawker is a useless piece of poo poo company that pushes the same dumb garbage under their handful of different websites and intersperses it with ads.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Crazy Ted posted:

Standard. I don't even know who writes there anymore. I still go to their frontpage at least once a day but I don't know why. Well I do know why, it is an ingrained habit from years ago when the site was not atrocious. I probably open an article 10% of the time I go to deadspin.com , and honestly 10% may be high. Maybe my new year's resolution will to quit participating in the hater olympics by giving them pageviews every day.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ribsauce posted:

Standard. I don't even know who writes there anymore. I still go to their frontpage at least once a day but I don't know why. Well I do know why, it is an ingrained habit from years ago when the site was not atrocious. I probably open an article 10% of the time I go to deadspin.com , and honestly 10% may be high. Maybe my new year's resolution will to quit participating in the hater olympics by giving them pageviews every day.

It's hilarious on Deadcast whenever Tim Marchman the EIC waxes lyrical about Deadspins editorial neutrality and arms length deals with sponsors. Especially when they are lambasting ESPN for their relationship with FanDuel and DraftKings when there are DraftKings adverts running in the middle of the podcast.

Deadspin seems to be more and more clinging to the occasionally acclaimed piece of actual journalism, like the Manti Te'o story or the Greg Howard piece on The Undefeated, while those stories become rarer and rarer on the site.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ribsauce posted:

Standard. I don't even know who writes there anymore.

It's mostly Marchman, Tom Ley and Barry Petchesky writing the occasional article about something that has given them cause to be all self-righteous and high and mighty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Has it been noted that ESPN have been floating $4million a year to keep Skip Bayless around? I can't find a solid link to it, but I've seen Richard Deitsch mention it a few times since before Christmas