Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's possible that the Season Pass is gonna be chock full of amazing content that worth every penny, and I'm hoping this is the case....but that's 1) unlikely and 2) kinda lovely that the base game is so content-lite by this hypothetical comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Thanks to all the bonuses this weekend lots of dummies are leveling up and purchasing the black stormtrooper outfit. My k/d sends them thanks.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
One thing that really irritates me is the size of the map on Hoth from EA's Battlefront, compare that to the Hoth map from Battlefront 2 and notice how the map from the new game looks smaller and linear.

Also how come the wampa cave and rebel base are so close together and you can't fight near the shield generator? I mean if they're trying to make the planets looks as realistic as possible, couldn't they structure it like how it was from the film?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 20, 2015

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Question: why the hell is the logic behind Melee damage? I feel like half the time the other guy gets 50 and the other half its instadeath

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I believe hits from behind do 100 damage while anywhere else is 50.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Kelly posted:

Thanks to all the bonuses this weekend lots of dummies are leveling up and purchasing the black stormtrooper outfit. My k/d sends them thanks.

Not to mention it isn't nearly as stylish as the scout trooper armor

But if they ever let me get First Order trooper armor I'll be trading up

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

I swear I've been one shorted from the front

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Hopper posted:

I agree, its fast.

But it is now bleedingly obvious that Fighter Squadron is unbalanced as hell.
As an imperial it is a constant sequence of Death by A-Wing, A-Wing, A-Wing, Falcon, A-Wing, Wing A ,...

In my opinion they nee to do the following:
- Reduce Hero ship health
-Introduce Hero ship tickdown like with AT ATs, after a time you are put back into a normal fighter
- Fix A-Wing hitboxes
-Reduce A-Wing speed

I think it would also be good to replace the speed boost on TIEs with the sensor jammer the airspeeder has. As a defensive measure, the speed boost does absolutely nothing except make you explode further away or let you ram the ground to spite your attacker. The jammer at least would give you a chance of surviving in a turn fight.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I just witnessed another imp win on Endor

i was on the rebs :(

otoh I got to be Luke and actually dueled with Vader and won. game kicks rear end.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Anti-Hero posted:

Alan Smithee posted:

I swear I've been one shorted from the front

The melee damage either has a random factor, or it is supposed to be 50 from the front and 100 from the back but just doesn't work. Numerous time I've hit others/been hit for the opposite effect.

Since it's :dice: I'm heavily leaning towards the "just doesn't work" explanation.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

hhhat posted:

I just witnessed another imp win on Endor

i was on the rebs :(

otoh I got to be Luke and actually dueled with Vader and won. game kicks rear end.

Sometimes Endor is p cool, was it this game a bit ago :p

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
The maps look stunning but I don't get why the interface is styled like Windows 8.1...it doesn't even match the theme Star Wars has always been.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so i just watched the force awakens and decided to buy this game because star wars is rad.

what do i need to know before i start playing

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
The only thing tie speed boost is good for is getting into the action quicker when you respawn (after being killed by an A wing).

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

so i just watched the force awakens and decided to buy this game because star wars is rad.

W key is OP (or forward on left stick), gogogo

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Rose posted:

Play in 3rd person and strafe back and forth a lot in gunfights. There is no accuracy penalty for movement or jumping in this game, so moving a lot helps to make you a harder to hit target.

You will die a lot at first. Respect the fact that lots of people have been playing this for awhile and gotten good and that you too can do well with practice.

The early unlocks like Thermal Detonator, Scout Pistol, and others are very good.

Get the DLT-19 blaster rifle right away. It's really good.

You can get a TON of credits (I'm talking tens of thousands easy) by going for all of the single player mission achievements when you need a break from multiplayer. Do the Training ones first as those missions are really fun, then do Battles, then do Survival last (these are the hardest to get.)

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

The Iron Rose posted:

Along with what Siets said:

Don't get hung up on winning or losing: just go in wanting to play Star Wars in a big dirt pile with your friends. Walker assault is probably my favorite mode so far, and the one where it's 6v6 where three people on each side start as heroes is a pretty fun mode, too. And starfighter is good if you miss Rouge Squadron and don't mind getting wrecked by Slave 1/The Millennium Falcon every 30 seconds or so.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

It's a bad game and your a bad person for playing it

Remember your power ups carry over game to game so don't squander them too much and it's not a shared pool so if you want to stock up pick the power up you want to stock

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Is it just me or does the pulse rifle sometimes not work in Supremacy?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

The Iron Rose posted:

Play Heroes vs. Villains. So much fun. Quick games, and with the bonus xp this weekend I'm getting easy 10k xp per match. Plus the obvious part that you get to play as Vader and the gang more often.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Am I trippin or does the ps4 controller make you use power ups mistakenly from motion control

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

so it turns out i'm really bad at flying/piloting

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Every rear end in a top hat and their mother uses that loving bowcaster now.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Alan Smithee posted:

It's a bad game and your a bad person for playing it

Remember your power ups carry over game to game so don't squander them too much and it's not a shared pool so if you want to stock up pick the power up you want to stock

How exactly does this work? I've only been playing a little bit myself and I don't get why sometimes I have the ion charge card and sometimes I don't. Do I have to rebuy the card every time I use it or what?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Alan Smithee posted:

Am I trippin or does the ps4 controller make you use power ups mistakenly from motion control

By default the touchpad is set to use the Star Cards by swipes up, left and right. Chances are you are accidentally touching it and setting them off.

Junior Jr. posted:

One thing that really irritates me is the size of the map on Hoth from EA's Battlefront, compare that to the Hoth map from Battlefront 2 and notice how the map from the new game looks smaller and linear.

Also how come the wampa cave and rebel base are so close together and you can't fight near the shield generator? I mean if they're trying to make the planets looks as realistic as possible, couldn't they structure it like how it was from the film?

I thought this at first, I had memories of the BF2 map being much better. But then I watched some videos of the Battlefront 2 Hoth map to remind me how it actually was. Which was just a giant open plain of snow. It was poo poo. Movie accurate, but utter poo poo for gameplay. The current Hoth map is representative enough, but by curving around a mountainside you get good defensive positions and lanes of attack.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hellburger99 posted:

How exactly does this work? I've only been playing a little bit myself and I don't get why sometimes I have the ion charge card and sometimes I don't. Do I have to rebuy the card every time I use it or what?

You have the one slot for special abilites and you can swap for something else like Shield or the scanner that shows you where enemies are. The number of charges is persistent so the lightning bolt is money

You are probably selecting the ion charge by default or something else. You change it in the main menu I believe? In any case if you have the wrong deck then just choose a different hand in the loadout screen after you die

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

There any way to change your partner in match?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm getting XP from the Starfighter mode like crazy, I need 2 games per level max, it's cool in my book.

However I just had 2 spawns on the Jaku map in a row where my fighter was inta-suicided on level geometry before I was given control of the fighter :dice:. I've seen that video where it happens to the friendly fighter, now imagine the same thing twice one after another viewed in glorious 3rd person.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

I'm getting XP from the Starfighter mode like crazy, I need 2 games per level max, it's cool in my book.

However I just had 2 spawns on the Jaku map in a row where my fighter was inta-suicided on level geometry before I was given control of the fighter :dice:. I've seen that video where it happens to the friendly fighter, now imagine the same thing twice one after another viewed in glorious 3rd person.

Did you spawn as interceptor by any chance? I always use the regular tie and it passes clean over that obstacle every time. It looks close but I never get stuck.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, it's always the interceptor. It's not consistent though - you may spawn at the same point very close to one of the wrecks with no problems and then spawn juuust a little too low and get killed.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So I have this game now. I'm about Level 21.

Is there a trick to aiming in these kinds of games? When I'm not shooting people's knees, I could swear I'm shooting them square in the face five times and still dying while they live on.

Had the same kinds of issues with the only other multiplayer shoot-em-up thing I played, the High Moon Transformers games.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

So I have this game now. I'm about Level 21.

Is there a trick to aiming in these kinds of games? When I'm not shooting people's knees, I could swear I'm shooting them square in the face five times and still dying while they live on.

Had the same kinds of issues with the only other multiplayer shoot-em-up thing I played, the High Moon Transformers games.

The assisted aim (if you are using it) locks on for a split second before the target start to move. Once the target moves, it breaks its locks and you're probably only really shooting around them.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Kelly posted:

The assisted aim (if you are using it) locks on for a split second before the target start to move. Once the target moves, it breaks its locks and you're probably only really shooting around them.

unless youre playing PC

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Kelly posted:

Is that the Focus Fire charge thing?

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Steve Vader posted:

Is that the Focus Fire charge thing?

No, that's console assisted aim, which most shooters have. PC don't typically have it, because mice are a lot easier to 'aim' with, a lot twitchier.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

MorsAnima posted:

No, that's console assisted aim, which most shooters have. PC don't typically have it, because mice are a lot easier to 'aim' with, a lot twitchier.

It's not even really a great AA because this isn't a game that lends itself to camping and people are constantly on the move. I don't play a ton of shooters so it was a bit hard to get used to; I got rocked constantly my first couple weeks playing.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

MorsAnima posted:

Ah, okay. I'll have to look into how to turn that on if it's not already. Although it's not like anybody in these games stays still long enough to properly lock on.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

Ah, okay. I'll have to look into how to turn that on if it's not already. Although it's not like anybody in these games stays still long enough to properly lock on.

Should be on by default. All I do with my gun of choice (the DLT-19) is look down the scope, lock on, hit the trigger once or twice, repeat. For someone like me who stinks, locking on for a split second like that helps. Sure, I am going to get carpal tunnel from all the unnecessary repetitive motion, but I've been borderline unstoppable (for me at least) since I employed that strategy.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Whoever said Heroes vs. Villains was the best mode for double points weekend was spot on. Just had a single game where I scored 37,000 points / 3,700 credits. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm actually doing well in most matches now, but that seems mostly because of unlocking the right tools. I'm usually going for upgraded jump pack, upgraded grenade and personal shield. I'm basically a guided missile for the objective.

One of the things I hate the most is those guys in WA that as imperials hang back and 'snipe'. I just had a partner like that and it was awful. He ended up with like 8 kills and 5 deaths while I had 28 kills, 23 deaths, while aggressively attacking the uplinks. He probably actually contributed nothing to winning the match or not.

• Locked thread