Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

xzzy posted:

I wanna know more about that badass c-130.

:black101:

(not the same plane but obviously outfitted the same)

I want to better understand the relationship between the wheels and skis. I've seen photos of these Hercs on pavement with the wheels sticking through the skis, is there a mechanism to determine whether you're landing on skis or wheels or do they just hang there to keep the wheels from sinking too far into the snow? Augh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Boomerjinks posted:

I want to better understand the relationship between the wheels and skis. I've seen photos of these Hercs on pavement with the wheels sticking through the skis, is there a mechanism to determine whether you're landing on skis or wheels or do they just hang there to keep the wheels from sinking too far into the snow? Augh.

On small planes you can get ski kits that have a little hydraulic cylinder and a hand pump in the cockpit. By pumping it up or releasing the pressure, you can basically jack the ski down below the level of the tire, or raise it above, so you can land on tarmac. I'd guess a similar system is used on big planes.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

chrisgt posted:

On small planes you can get ski kits that have a little hydraulic cylinder and a hand pump in the cockpit. By pumping it up or releasing the pressure, you can basically jack the ski down below the level of the tire, or raise it above, so you can land on tarmac. I'd guess a similar system is used on big planes.

So you can raise or lower the gear's gear. Cool!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
not sure whether to put this in awesome or terrible so i flipped a coin and it said awesome

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That front spoiler is actually a shroud for lawnmower blades.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

atomicthumbs posted:

not sure whether to put this in awesome or terrible so i flipped a coin and it said awesome

Detailed, non-English info (with photos) of the build: http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85818

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

atomicthumbs posted:

Definitely awesome, 340s don't get enough love and they're apparently great fun to hoon about the place and cheap as gently caress too. Came with 2 degrees of negative camber from factory too which means race car... :v:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

I wanna know more about that badass c-130.

Clearly this is a Ski-130.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fyodor posted:

Detailed, non-English info (with photos) of the build: http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85818

quote:

When I bought it so sat there a B23 with a 631-Köhlertopp, 2 -skivig Tiltonkoppling and Getraglåda, dogleg with 1st gear down. The box was unfortunately moved forward, would have been nice to have had it remained on the 'original location' in 1996, I managed to plummet engine, a new B230 with forged pistons went in. The 1997 Race Week burst a top bearing to the strut right by the guiding under the bridge. It went fast and hit the railing was harder than what was useful. The car had basically retained all the original panel was so I decided to cut off most. It is wide !! I moved the engine back also, the wording in the regulations said 20cm. Pedal switch, steering wheel mm. went with backwards. New jar lift about to be added.

quote:

Here a åkbild in this version: The top was rebuilt with larger printers and hotter cam. During the time that was needed tank replaced and supplemented the cage. It was a little dropped suction and the project stalled.

google translate pulls through again

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm an M5 guy myself but this thing is for sale nearby:

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
If i had money i would wrap my car in snow camo every winter.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm an M5 guy myself but this thing is for sale nearby:

The Imperial German Navy won't be shelling that guy any time soon.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ReelBigLizard posted:

The Imperial German Navy won't be shelling that guy any time soon.

that is the Imperial German Navy

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've been thinking of doing the same camo on a Nissan hardbody my buddy might be giving me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone in the north knows the secret to true snow camo is to drive it around for three years without washing and leave it parked outside while snowing at every opportunity.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

VikingSkull posted:

that is the Imperial German Navy

Thus why they won't be shelling him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wonder if it dazzles and confuses speed trap range finders?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The best camo would be the one that made the fast car look like an old Geo Metro.

No one ever suspects the Metro.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

El Scotch posted:

The best camo would be the one that made the fast car look like an old Geo Metro.

No one ever suspects the Metro.

Idk man, I think you have to pick something more boring looking. A Tamry would be ideal.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

xzzy posted:

Everyone in the north knows the secret to true snow camo is to drive it around for three years without washing and leave it parked outside while snowing at every opportunity.

Street Salt Grey is truly the greatest camouflage.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I saw this article in the latest Car Craft:

The Legend of the Hillbilly Hell Shack

It sort of, uh, there's some uncomfortable comparisons going on here. I showed it to my wife, laughing, but she didn't laugh. She didn't laugh :(

Why didn't she laugh

Oh god she knows this is how it ends

Wait her car started in the driveway where are you going honey

At least there will be free kittens. And an altered-wheelbase Fairmont.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

This blog is no jokes awesome and I love it. Thank you.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It sort of, uh, there's some uncomfortable comparisons going on here. I showed it to my wife, laughing, but she didn't laugh. She didn't laugh :(

Why didn't she laugh

Oh god she knows this is how it ends

Wait her car started in the driveway where are you going honey

At least there will be free kittens. And an altered-wheelbase Fairmont.

Agh I'd be super worried about cat fuzz getting all up in a motor I spent a bunch of time getting all clean and perfect, but I guess it's just mopar junk anyway.

So I guess I'm not the only one who saw Tom Cruise's kitchen engine in War of the Worlds as aspirational?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good things happen when you never lift.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
He probably did lift, just for a little bit, and just at the wrong time, otherwise the car wouldn't have spun off the track. The tires on the pavement had more traction and would have made the car rotate in the opposite direction if he was in it. Or an axle/diff broke because of the sudden huge wheel speed difference.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 19, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That was an awesome article. And guest appearance of the Crusher Camaro in an earlier guise.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I've read that article before and can I point out that the reason Roadkill is awesome is because it's the same group of gypsies you see in that article, and the same ones I grew up reading.

Like, they built a gasser in the mid 90's? A trend that was dead for 30 years by then and wouldn't regain popularity for another 15. But nope, those idiots did it anyway.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Build details and some videos.
http://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=7685

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 19, 2015

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I've always wondered how floppy the chassis was on these compared to the coupe/sedan

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

I feel like these didn't make it to america. A V8 manual wagon of any make would be amazing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SouthsideSaint posted:

I feel like these didn't make it to america. A V8 manual wagon of any make would be amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_w0gn04aTw
Heathen! :colbert:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SouthsideSaint posted:

I'm fairly certain they did. We went nuts for one when I was working at Manheim, and it didn't look like a bodged swap job.

Might have been though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I'm fairly certain they did. We went nuts for one when I was working at Manheim, and it didn't look like a bodged swap job.

Might have been though.

Wait do you actually believe they made an e30 with an m60? Or am I misunderstanding?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
People have starting bringing in a bunch of E30 wagons now anyway.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Yeah I'm sorry that car just doesn't do it for me. I work with a geezer who worked for cadillac from 60something to 2009 he tells me all the caddy horror storys. And mind you he never did say anything bad about the CTS wagons just the V6 ones with the timing chain issue. But still that car is to smooth and alien bug like. I would much rather have a Nova wagon with a 6.0 and a turbo attached to a Manuel trans. But there's no good U.S. mid Ninteys V8 Manuel wagon.

clam ache fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 20, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SouthsideSaint posted:

good > U.S. > mid Ninteys > V8 > Manuel > wagon.

The kind of search filter that would never get results. The 90s werent a good v8 decade anyways imo. Id rather have a nineties inline 6 (literally any of them).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The 90s werent a good v8 decade anyways imo.

I mean aside from the LS1 nearly doubling the horsepower of 80s-era 350s i guess you're right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In comparison to straight 6s v8s didnt do that great until the LS1. Like the twin turbo 2jz and rb26, as well as the bmw s50. All great engines mated to cars that I would prefer to a nineties v8 car.

In fact Id say that now is the real time of the v8, considering how damned good the current slew of US V8s are.