Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

VendaGoat posted:

I have my own opinion on why, but I wish to ask you and the others.

What about doing an act like this and keeping silent about it is, in your opinion, endearing?

Trust me, I agree with you. I just want to read your words.

Someone who does a great good and then parades it around for selfish self-adornment is still doing a great good, that doesn't make it suddenly bad. But when someone does a great good and makes zero effort for anyone to notice, you know that he did it because it's right and for no other reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Someone who does a great good and then parades it around for selfish self-adornment is still doing a great good, that doesn't make it suddenly bad. But when someone does a great good and makes zero effort for anyone to notice, you know that he did it because it's right and for no other reason.

It's also generational. So many people did extraordinary things or were witness to them. A lot of painful memories too. They didn't talk about it or dwell on it. There was no social media to exhibit themselves on. They just got on with their lives.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
This being the badass thread, it's worth remembering that not being an egotistical self-publicist is also pretty loving badass. Kind of the opposite of Brian Blessed who plays a character and lives it up to the fullest. There's room in the world for both, and it would be a far poorer world without either.

Me, I'd be casually mentioning that one time I saved all those kids from the Nazis, because c'mon the temptation to ride that glory train would be hard to resist. I respect him being able to maintain a dignified and humble silence about it.

We used to look upon humility as a virtue. These days it's a lost art. For more of my thoughts on the importance of humility please follow my Twitter and Snapchat, and remember to like and subscribe to this post.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It might also be guilt. Sure he saved all those kids, but what about that one trainload that disappeared? What about all the others he couldn't save? Probably a whole lot of complex feelings surrounding the whole thing that he wasn't keen to revisit.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It might also be guilt. Sure he saved all those kids, but what about that one trainload that disappeared? What about all the others he couldn't save? Probably a whole lot of complex feelings surrounding the whole thing that he wasn't keen to revisit.

Yes, absolutely. "One more name on the list, one more rescued, selling my car could have saved ... several others." Human mind is a kind of a dick and especially if you had to choose who you rescue, one probably blames himself for being so unable to do anything.

At least with the veterans of war, many of them are kinda blaming themselves for the deaths of those who walked into an ambush or took the guard duty when the sniper got better of them, because they had reassignment and weren't there to take the bullet that killed someone else.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, absolutely. "One more name on the list, one more rescued, selling my car could have saved ... several others." Human mind is a kind of a dick and especially if you had to choose who you rescue, one probably blames himself for being so unable to do anything.

At least with the veterans of war, many of them are kinda blaming themselves for the deaths of those who walked into an ambush or took the guard duty when the sniper got better of them, because they had reassignment and weren't there to take the bullet that killed someone else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_guilt

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Exactly. It is remarkable how little attention some people pay to this problem. Here in Finland there was a saying "no complete man returned from the war, ever" and yet, jingoism and thrive to glorify war as a factory for heroes still persists.

I know that my grandfather had psychotic episodes and nightmares where my grandmom had to literally beat him with a broom to get him "out of the war" during the middle of the night. And he was one of the ones who were better of, and made a relatively successful life and career out of his latter life.

EDIT: The man was a complete teetotaler for the rest of his life after the war, because he knew that taking a couple of drinks would make his mind go immediately back to the front against Soviet in his sleep. And yet, sometimes it did. The last case was something like 30 years after the war.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Dec 21, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/dJhU6Cp.webm

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

drat. Well done.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Reminds me of this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MroW3Ew3SYU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm in love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWpo3v73v3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JHigEpDpyI

e: someone post some more badass buskers up in here

starkebn has a new favorite as of 06:04 on Dec 23, 2015

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elle_King

No videos of her busking but that's how she got discovered. She is also rob schneiders daughter and she doesn't ride his fame.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq-54gox6-k
:stare:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

snergle posted:

No videos of her busking but that's how she got discovered. She is also rob schneiders daughter and she doesn't ride his fame.

uh yeah there's probably a reason for that last part

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

:stare:

Holy poo poo.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Travis Pastrana already did it with bonus giving less of a poo poo attitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRLzvPioKG0

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Aesop Poprock posted:

Travis Pastrana already did it with bonus giving less of a poo poo attitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRLzvPioKG0

Also very insane, also very cool. Not quite as terrifying (to me at least) though as the other dude had to pass through a cloud. I can't get over the fact they might have lost sight of him in there just long enough for things to go really bad.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

snergle posted:

She looks just like him, poor girl.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My mum took this photo at her school in the 70's, and found it earlier today.

That's Darth Vader.

Apparently he was a really nice guy, and absolutely no kids misbehaved when he was there.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Roblo posted:

That's Darth Vader.

Apparently he was a really nice guy, and absolutely no kids misbehaved when he was there.

They saw what happened to Admiral Ozzel.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Roblo posted:

That's Darth Vader.

That's awesome! Back in the day an old friend worked at Disney's Star Wars Weekends and got to meet Prouse backstage. He indulged her in performing the whole first scene of Leia and Vader, he still knew all the lines. :3:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

That's awesome! Back in the day an old friend worked at Disney's Star Wars Weekends and got to meet Prouse backstage. He indulged her in performing the whole first scene of Leia and Vader, he still knew all the lines. :3:

Despite never getting to speak them. I still want to see west country farmer version of Darth though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They wanted someone physically intimidating to play Vader, so they got a 6'7" bodybuilder.
He's also the guy who trained Christopher Reeves for his Superman role.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Josef bugman posted:

Despite never getting to speak them. I still want to see west country farmer version of Darth though.

He actually performed all of Vader's lines on set while filming, and was both surprised and pissed off when he saw the movie and heard James Earl Jones' voice.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dr. Clockwork posted:

He actually performed all of Vader's lines on set while filming, and was both surprised and pissed off when he saw the movie and heard James Earl Jones' voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQFho0_G1VI

Oooohh....sooooo scary. :v:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I wish the Star Wars Trilogy BR set I bought came with all those extra features. I guess I'll have to steal the DVD set from my parents' house.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Big.

Bumblefuck!
Jan 20, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

They wanted someone physically intimidating to play Vader, so they got a 6'7" bodybuilder.

He was also Mr. Alexander's bodyguard in A Clockwork Orange

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Bumblefuck! posted:

Say Nothing posted:

It's a lucky thing the Darth Vader role came along or he might not ever have gotten to wear clothes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

I wish the Star Wars Trilogy BR set I bought came with all those extra features. I guess I'll have to steal the DVD set from my parents' house.

They put the extras on the DVD set but not the BR? That seems kind of backwards to how it usually goes but then again, Lucas

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roblo posted:

That's Darth Vader.

I can concur with that, because I met him when he was the Green Cross Code Man.

On the other hand, Prowse is now a UKIP supporter. :/

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

quote:

It's a lucky thing the Darth Vader role came along or he might not ever have gotten to wear clothes.

Ironically, when he was cast for Star Wars he was given the choice of Darth Vader or Chewie, and he chose Vader because he didn't want to have to wear a mask.

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, Prowse is now a UKIP supporter. :/

Well that's bullshit, but actually kind of in character for Darth Vader.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He's also banned from all official Star Wars conventions for pissing off George Lucas.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Say Nothing posted:

He's also banned from all official Star Wars conventions for pissing off George Lucas.

Yet another reason to love the man.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Sooooo what's the story here? What'd he do to piss old no-chin off?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Arrath posted:

Gonna guess he bitched that Lucas went with James Earl Jones as the voice of Darth Vader.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
David Prowse doesn't care for your spoiler alerts.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Prowse

quote:

Prowse claims his contract for Return of the Jedi included a share of profits on the film, and although it grossed $475 million on a $32 million budget, Prowse explained in an interview in 2009 that he has never received residuals for his performance. Due to "Hollywood accounting", the actual profits are sent as "distribution fees" to the studio, leaving nothing to distribute to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Arrath posted:

Quick and dirty is Lucas claims Prowse was paid money Prowse says he never got.