Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://youtu.be/X0UJDwuZOv0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I know this is just a Steam glitch but due to a lack of content and updates this gives me the opportunity to make a joke about its impending quality.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rollercoaster Tycoon World 1 has broken down!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is RCTW actually $60? That is ballsy and guarantees I won't be buying it for a long time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's the deluxe version.

The regular version is only $50!

Orv
May 4, 2011
The deluxe version is also technically out right now, because they changed the Steam system date for the base game but not the deluxe package. Not that you can play it, because it requires the base game, but it's a good measure of competence.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
PlanetCoaster has posted a new video and while the polished interview-style developer-speak is cringe worthy, this game looks to have some pretty amazing landscaping and thing tools. Well worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAiH4_Wrc4

Orv
May 4, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

PlanetCoaster has posted a new video and while the polished interview-style developer-speak is cringe worthy, this game looks to have some pretty amazing landscaping and thing tools. Well worth a watch:

That looks really drat good.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The landscaping looks fantastic, especially using voxels instead of just a heightmap. The brief glimpse of the coaster building we saw in there was pretty good too, having all the rotation tools right there on the end of the track piece instead of having to click on a toolbar and then use keyboard controls is exactly the sort of thing that style needs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Planet Coaster looking slick.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

while the polished interview-style developer-speak is cringe worthy

Better this than the late 90s, early 2000s approach of dutch angles, ultra closeups and going to black and white for no reason, while the developer talks about how his game is gonna slap my nuts around

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

Better this than the late 90s, early 2000s approach of dutch angles, ultra closeups and going to black and white for no reason, while the developer talks about how his game is gonna slap my nuts around

You too have been watching Giant Bomb's Demo Derby features huh? Having seen those behind the scenes videos I wish more were like that.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the best thing that could happen to RCT at this point would be for RCTW to bomb so loving hard that Atari gives up on the license and sells it to Night Dive or a similar remake studio for a pittance, and they do a re-release of 1+2 powered by OpenRCT and maybe a new expansion or two like how Age of Empires II got an expansion out of nowhere this year

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

This is hitting pretty much every one of my "this is what a modern coaster game should do" things. Easy freeform track construction? Check. Building stuff at natural-looking angles instead of a rigid grid? Check. Voxel terrain? I never actually thought of that one before, but holy poo poo, anything that only has heightmaps is going to feel really constricting from here on out.

If they don't botch the management side, Planet Coaster is going to be amazing.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Rule number one that works (sometimes begrudgingly) is don't fix what ain't broke.

E.g. Any Mario games

I've only just watched a review of the Alpha for this game, and there was almost nothing positive about it. Especially the rollercoaster construction, where it is now much harder to estimate if your ride will be safe.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Courtesy of the LPs To Watch thread, this is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUNbmRyP3WA

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Orv posted:

Hey thanks, this is really nice.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

quote:

Booty Rattler

:hb:

But my body is ready for this, because it looks great.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Orv posted:

He really needs to bank his curves, holy hell.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

He really needs to bank his curves, holy hell.

I know right? I don't know how far ahead he's recording these but christ he could just learn to bank his turns and fix most of his problems.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
But that would go against the theme of his park: Spinal damage.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is RCTW actually $60? That is ballsy

How so, exactly?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So the planet coaster guys uploaded these about a week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzXbEZkopyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyK0aIuflZ0

Its so lovely. :allears:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I know it's a simple thing, but when they built paths between the archway building segments and the paths just went through them properly, that was cool. I don't think it was possible to do that in any of the previous games.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So the planet coaster guys uploaded these about a week ago.

Its so lovely. :allears:

That building is amazing, but the best thing I saw was in the terrain editing video. You can just raise the terrain through building parts! No errors or keeping the terrain flat under the scenery or anything!

thedaian posted:

I know it's a simple thing, but when they built paths between the archway building segments and the paths just went through them properly, that was cool. I don't think it was possible to do that in any of the previous games.

I think you might have been able to do it, but only with specific parts designed to go over paths.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
This looks pretty cool, but I'm mildly concerned that they've still really only showed us that same pirate-themed building and very similar terrain modifications. I know it's still semi-early days, but they're going to need to add a lot more content to deliver on expectations.

Have they said anything about modding or at least being able to add your own textures/doodads etc?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

How so, exactly?

There are very few people in the first place that are going to buy a roller coaster game, much less pay $60 for it. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to pay $$$$60 american dollars for planet coaster

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

webmeister posted:

This looks pretty cool, but I'm mildly concerned that they've still really only showed us that same pirate-themed building and very similar terrain modifications. I know it's still semi-early days, but they're going to need to add a lot more content to deliver on expectations.

Have they said anything about modding or at least being able to add your own textures/doodads etc?

Nothing about modding/adding stuff yet.

My guess is that the pirate themed buildings and stuff is really about the only good/finished assets they have right now. Once they've got all the engine and tools and gameplay stuff in place, that's when they start adding content, or at least polishing the rest of it enough to make it worthy of videos.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I got the original RCT in a box of cereal, I expect no different for any RCT games. :colbert:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 25, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

From PYF Schadenfreude:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

AlphaKretin posted:

From PYF Schadenfreude:

peep physics is one of several reasons why RCT3 is so much better than people give it credit for

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I forgot, do crashes in RCT3 result in massive park rep drops like in 1 and 2? I have fond memories of waltzing through park satisfaction scenarios, only to have some rollercoaster crash the last month and ruin the entire thing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

webmeister posted:

Well if you go by Elite: Dangerous, we'll get one design of each buildings then you'll have to pay $5+ for a different style.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Avocados posted:

I forgot, do crashes in RCT3 result in massive park rep drops like in 1 and 2? I have fond memories of waltzing through park satisfaction scenarios, only to have some rollercoaster crash the last month and ruin the entire thing.

sadly the beautiful peep physics are obtained through sacrificing death to get that 'e' rating. Your coasters won't crash unless you make them and nobody in your park can die.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There are very few people in the first place that are going to buy a roller coaster game, much less pay $60 for it. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Wow, so do you think rollercoaster games are straight up inferior to other games? What's your thought process here?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wow, so do you think rollercoaster games are straight up inferior to other games? What's your thought process here?

I don't think that's quite what they meant - to me it seemed like they meant with so many indie/self-published games etc on the market these days (along with frequent Steam/Amazon/GOG sales), people are much less willing to drop $60 on a game from a relatively unknown publisher. I know Frontier developed RCT3, but I think ultimately their point was that $60 is the price point for big-budget AAA games and little else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And that $60 goes down further when talking about digital sales. My ceiling for buying games digitally outside sales tends to be around £30/$40.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's weird to me that I was ever willing to pay as much as 50 euros for a game. 15 is pretty much my limit now, and that's only for the ones I really want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Parkitect is €14 in early access and Planet Coaster is up for pre-order for €27, it's just Atari thinking people are willing to pay €46 for what at the moment looks to be by far worst of the three.

E, speaking of early access, what happened to that second Beta weekend? Did that quietly get scrapped as well?

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 13, 2016