Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Vanadium posted:

Rust moving from a mailing list to Discourse just about killed my interest in keeping up with the community.

Mailing lists are bad, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Actually it's only mailing list aggregator sites that are bad

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I still haven't figured out how to reply to a mailing list post having not being subscribed to the ML beforehand.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
// General purpose variable
public int[] temp = new int[1];

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat
For thread comms?

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

I still haven't figured out how to reply to a mailing list post having not being subscribed to the ML beforehand.

Mailman will happily let you reply to a list if you get the original email by, say, being on another list it's cc'ed to. If the list administrator turned off the "let every internet random and spammer post to my list without joining it" option like you have to do in TYOOL 2015, it will also hold to message for administrator review if you aren't on the list in question. The administrators will then get daily emails letting them know about the mail message in the moderation queue. The other option, according to the web UI, is not getting any notifications about held messages at all.

I think the workflow for your use case is literally "download a mail archive and forge the headers".

In other news, mailman is dog poo poo and don't use it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
OK. So now before I can reply to something, I have to convince the list operator to install some third-party software to make the ML usable, instead of the usual traditional Mailman / MHonArc.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Wait, can you reply to Discourse threads without signing up with the site on the web?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The problem is not that you have to subscribe; it's that you have to jump through a bunch of hoops if you didn't subscribe before the mail you want to reply to was sent.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The answer seems to be "download a mail archive from a friend you know who stores mbox files, pull out the correct In-Reply-To and References headers, make sure your subject line is the exact same (plus the "Re:" that mailman strips out), and then write your email"

To which I say, "how do I do that in gmail"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

The answer seems to be "download a mail archive from a friend you know who stores mbox files, pull out the correct In-Reply-To and References headers, make sure your subject line is the exact same (plus the "Re:" that mailman strips out), and then write your email"

To which I say, "how do I do that in gmail"

You'd think after to many years, Mailman had a way to send a command mail for "re-send me the original mail with this ID".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure the mindset of people writing mailing list software is that if you want to reply, you should have been a member before the discussion started.

listserv is the coding horror, I've never liked the idea of sending commands by sending an email to a special address. Email is for messages, not controlling software. :colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

Pretty sure the mindset of people writing mailing list software is that if you want to reply, you should have been a member before the discussion started.

listserv is the coding horror, I've never liked the idea of sending commands by sending an email to a special address. Email is for messages, not controlling software. :colbert:

What mailing list software doesn't let you subscribe or unsubscribe by mailing a special address?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well listserv introduced the concept and everyone else is just cloning it, and I hate it. There was an argument for it in the 80's, but once we had the web everyone should have switched over to a proper user interface.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I've seen cases where my software is talked about, and they say they'd love for the original author to reply. But it's happening on some obscure mailing list I never even knew about. I usually email the guy who sent the message manually.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

xzzy posted:

Ftpmail was a godsend when I was behind a corporate firewall, before SOCKS came around.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
instead of a bitset, or even an array of booleans, this code uses an array of integers which can have two values: either 0 or 201207.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Soricidus posted:

instead of a bitset, or even an array of booleans, this code uses an array of integers which can have two values: either 0 or 201207.

Is there a numerological significance or did it turn three years old last July.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

fritz posted:

Is there a numerological significance or did it turn three years old last July.

I hope it's older than that because I really don't want to believe anyone was still targeting java 1.5 in 2012, but ...

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Soricidus posted:

I hope it's older than that because I really don't want to believe anyone was still targeting java 1.5 in 2012, but ...

In 2012, I was helping support a Java application that had portions that still targeted 1.4. Any time I brought it up, I was told "it works" (except when it didn't), so "leave it alone".

I left that job shortly thereafter, thankfully. Last I checked with my old coworkers, they still had the 1.4 code hanging around.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Soricidus posted:

Im not a java person but why do you think there aren't people still targeting it today.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
My last job had a large Java 1.4 app that communicated with external companies (PII). Years later - now - they still use it and plan to never change... because the newer versions of Java don't support the really old, insecure SSL ciphers. To talk to any sane partners they use HTTP from Java to... a bunch of stunnel processes.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
hardware horrors: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=f076ef44a44d02ed91543f820

quote:

In A.D. 1582 Pope Gregory XIII found that the existing Julian calendar insufficiently represented reality, and changed the rules about calculating leap years to account for this. Similarly, in A.D. 2013 Rockchip hardware engineers found that the new Gregorian calendar still contained flaws, and that the month of November should be counted up to 31 days instead. Unfortunately it takes a long time for calendar changes to gain widespread adoption, and just like more than 300 years went by before the last Protestant nation implemented Greg's proposal, we will have to wait a while until all religions and operating system kernels acknowledge the inherent advantages of the Rockchip system. Until then we need to translate dates read from (and written to) Rockchip hardware back to the Gregorian format.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I don't understand what's going on here

I am ready to believe that the current method involving a 400-year leap year cycle isn't adequate to keep the calendar correct wrt the Earth's orbit (because presumably nothing is, on a long enough timescale, unless you get to the point where you produce something that's good enough right up to the point where the sun expands and engulfs the Earth). But what rationale do a bunch of hardware engineers have for coming up with their own calendar system that doesn't match anyone else's? Why do they need a "more accurate" calendar? And why gently caress around with November, rather than February which everyone already knows is weird?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
It's a defect. The comment is a joke.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
oh. Well, perhaps I'm having a sense of humour failure, but IMO in a setting which is supposed to be for information, jokes should not be present. People reading patch notes, release notes, and other informational material should be able to assume that everything written there is 100% sincere.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I'd rather read that joke than "Some idiot that designed this hardware forgot that November only has 30 days, so now we have this patch to account for it"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hammerite posted:

oh. Well, perhaps I'm having a sense of humour failure, but IMO in a setting which is supposed to be for information, jokes should not be present. People reading patch notes, release notes, and other informational material should be able to assume that everything written there is 100% sincere.

Beep boop too much humor; cannot compute.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Hammerite posted:

How is it like to be a robot?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Reminds me of a great line from the PostgreSQL docs:

quote:

The first century starts at 0001-01-01 00:00:00 AD, although they did not know it at the time. This definition applies to all Gregorian calendar countries. There is no century number 0, you go from -1 century to 1 century. If you disagree with this, please write your complaint to: Pope, Cathedral Saint-Peter of Roma, Vatican.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I just spent an hour trying to figure out why our code wouldn't compile on a colleagues system, turns out that at some point in the past he had modified the installed atl headers and added #defines to them that should be implicitly set by changing project settings. When he switched to a project that had different settings for these ATL options configured everything stopped working.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

KaneTW posted:

How is it like to be a robot?

There are some settings where humour is not appropriate.

However, the Something Awful Forums is not one of them, so carry on I guess.

While I'm being a robot, though, use either "how is it" or "what is it like", but not "how is it like".

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I can't blame you, calendaring is one of my triggers

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

Hammerite posted:

There are some settings where humour is not appropriate.

You must be a hoot to hang out with, haha.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
LOL guys, look at that loser, we're way cooler than him.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hammerite posted:

Well, perhaps I'm having a sense of humour failure

Perhaps!

Everywhere I've worked has had humor in commit messages at times, especially when dealing with the ridiculous. I'm sorry for your loss.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

sarehu posted:

LOL guys, look at that loser, we're way cooler than him.

This but unironically.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
You wouldn't put jokes in a cancer diagnosis. You wouldn't put jokes in a message of commiseration to the families of the victims of a massacre. And git commit messages are far more serious, than things like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tend to avoid putting jokes in my commit messages because the logs automatically get sent to a mailing list and my boss actually reads them.

But jokes in comments? All the drat time, at every single opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Your boss doesn't appreciate jokes? Man, that must suck :(