Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

drat, I went back like 4 pages and saw nothing. I also really appreciated the morbid attention to detail on the zero-g partial vacuum decapitation

Yeah that was awesome bit, pretty much shows SyFy wasn't shying away from depicting the more over the top deaths in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Any links to the Ade racebending criticism?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My guess is that they erred on the side of stupid and decided viewers would confuse two African-x actresses

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

We can't have Holden liking two black girls. That would be TOO confusing for us the dear audience. I heard the zero g sex scene was kind of an insanely brutal shoot though so maybe that was the only crazy person they could find who would do it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The most, most likely option is that they just didn't consider it important and didn't include race in the casting info and yeah maybe athletic ability had something to do with it but ultimately wouldn't matter in terms of race

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

This show has one of the most diverse and great casts ever but we're gonna hangup on a throwaway garbage character that does nothing in the books or the show.

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang

Bert Roberge posted:

This show has one of the most diverse and great casts ever but we're gonna hangup on a throwaway garbage character that does nothing in the books or the show.

*checks reg date*

You should be well aware of how serious the internets takes its issues. Baby/bathwater metaphor is apt here.

Chiming in to say that I've been on The Expanse books since the release of Leviathan Wakes and I'm very much into how it's been depicted thus far.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Augustus Woop-Woop posted:

*checks reg date*

You should be well aware of how serious the internets takes its issues. Baby/bathwater metaphor is apt here.

Chiming in to say that I've been on The Expanse books since the release of Leviathan Wakes and I'm very much into how it's been depicted thus far.

Please I wish I had been thrown out with the bathwater at this point.

The issue of a throwaway character's race is kinda dumb even on the internet.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone able to buy the season pass for this on amazon video? It shows up as an option when I search for the show, but after clicking on it I'm only presented with the option of buying individual episodes.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Professor Shark posted:

The most, most likely option is that they just didn't consider it important and didn't include race in the casting info and yeah maybe athletic ability had something to do with it but ultimately wouldn't matter in terms of race

Casting call for Ade Tukunbo. Must have athletic ability. Gender female. Race open.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 21, 2015

Woden
May 6, 2006

gohmak posted:

Casting call for Ade Tukunbo. Must have athletic ability. Gender female. Race open.

You mean Ade Nygaard right?

In any case the show runners should be saying why they made the change real soon now.

Woden fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 21, 2015

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Yeah, we totes need explanations from the book author on why the show runner & casting director chose a white actress instead of a black one for a role that had... 10 minutes? of screen time. That's a really good reason to hate this show, especially given how ethnically diverse the cast already is.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Didn't see this posted already, syfy made an interactive map of the solar system for the show: http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/enterthefuture/inside

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

My guess is that they erred on the side of stupid and decided viewers would confuse two African-x actresses

We say 'Black British' actually :colbert:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

feedmegin posted:

We say 'Black British' actually :colbert:

I don't care what the cousins say, cousin!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Yeah, we totes need explanations from the book author on why the show runner & casting director chose a white actress instead of a black one for a role that had... 10 minutes? of screen time. That's a really good reason to hate this show, especially given how ethnically diverse the cast already is.

I don't think anyone is saying that they hate this show because of the Ade casting, just that it is strange or maybe a little cowardly.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 21, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm nearing the end of Caliban's War and I'm finding that the dialogue is breaking down again. It's never all that great to being with, but at least it's at Firefly levels. Towards the end of each book I've read it degrades into Internet Fan Fic Firefly, though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Quote/edit poo poo

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some dickhead is going mental about how much it sucks in another tv forum. I think he's off his meds.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rocksicles posted:

Some dickhead is going mental about how much it sucks in another tv forum. I think he's off his meds.

Link please

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I think I might be off my meds. I swear to god that this thread should be about this this show and not about a goddamned throwaway actress that means nothing to the story.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Bert Roberge posted:

I think I might be off my meds. I swear to god that this thread should be about this this show and not about a goddamned throwaway actress that means nothing to the story.

Relax. There is 2 weeks until a new episode.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I just caught up on this show. I didn't think the show was anything special for the first two episodes, but episode 3's end was interesting and episode 4 really roped me in.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Releasing two episodes early: Great for the audience, terrible for the thread.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watched the first episode last night. Really enjoyed it. My wife loved the different storylines, and I was really impressed every time they brought out some hard science stuff like low gravity bone density, and things like that.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm noticing that for people that have not read the books this is becoming another GoT-like scenarios where TV watchersreally pay attention (ie not causally looking at his/her phone) to understand what is going on.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just finished the second book, third is in hand, I'll have to buy #4

It felt like a videogame towards the end, but I liked it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

The books are fun once you realize that they are pretty pulpy in tone.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Professor Shark posted:

Honestly I think that's what I like about the books, and I bet is interesting when binge reading, they really do just genre hop and are generally a weird mix of pulpy space opera with elements of tons of other stuff.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
This show owns. I really like it. I hope the people who make it get a lot of money for making the show. I hope the dudes writing the books are never crushed into compliance and can keep calling the shots on their baby.

I've been so underwhelmed by characters in popular media doing dumb things that hinder their survival chances and their ability to gain the upper hand. When the characters in this series are confronted with a problem, they bicker a bit, then realize that it's dumb, and then just loving WORK TOGETHER TO STAY ALIVE like a real loving person would do... gently caress inserted drama. Look at the bigger picture and NASA the poo poo out of it until you've solved your problems. Only then do you get to complain about the smell of your recycled air, or coffee that doesn't taste like matchsticks.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Yeah, I was happy the episode 4 stuff got mostly straightforwardly resolved after people being like "you did it!" "no we didn't!" "okay i will listen to you"

red19fire
May 26, 2010

binging the first 4 eps now. Can I just say that I adore the little set details? I kind of prefer the grim vision of the future, like in Bladerunner or Star Wars, where stuff is broken and dirty. I just dig that Tom Jane's cell phone thing has a crack in it, everyone in the subway is staring at their phones all the time.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

red19fire posted:

binging the first 4 eps now. Can I just say that I adore the little set details? I kind of prefer the grim vision of the future, like in Bladerunner or Star Wars, where stuff is broken and dirty. I just dig that Tom Jane's cell phone thing has a crack in it, everyone in the subway is staring at their phones all the time.

:eng101: Hand Terminal

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

red19fire posted:

I also really like that all the young kids are on space tinder. I think the swipe left/right is even there?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The other twist is Holden's crew is basically no longer any sort of rigid command hierarchy after the Canterbury got nuked.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Here's a list of the episodes with descriptions. Spoilers obviously. Interesting to read if you're a book reader though. Though again I would caution spoilers as the show is adding things not in the books (at least from the first book which I've read so far).

http://next-episode.net/the-expanse/season-1

I can definitely see the show actually being better than the first book when all is said and done.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is Lopez (MCRN Marine) dead? I couldn't tell if he died or was just experiencing the ship accelerating.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't be dead, i was rooting for him during that epic escape. Tough but fair Spacemarine going rogue to save his planet. It pretty much writes itself.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is that the pill popping interrogator? Because if so I really hope he lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

Is that the pill popping interrogator? Because if so I really hope he lives

He looked pretty hosed up, I think he knew he was going to croak which is why he gave access to Holden and company.

• Locked thread