Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Geemer posted:

Back in the day every motherboard came with a branded IDE cable. SATA is just too small to put much branding on.

That middle bit with the white plastic bit in it is actually what you used to tell the drive if it was the primary (master), or secondary (slave) drive on the channel. You can see the diagram of the options on the drive's label.
You might need to set it to master or cable select for the USB enclosure to work, as that setting it's on now doesn't seem like a valid option. (Though it'll probably just default to cable select.)

Usually that jumper being on some weird pins just means it's a storage position and the drive is set to single or master. It's as if the jumper isn't on any pins at all in that position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

A Proper Uppercut posted:

This is kinda hardware, kinda software, but I've got an Asrock Z97m with that Killer NIC thing, and I've heard it has issues and is best to install the drivers only without the software suite. Can anyone point me to where do find those drivers?
In case you didn't find this yet, you want this zip file here: http://www.killernetworking.com/support/driver-downloads/standard-drivers/item/drivers-only

Once you unzip it, find your version of Windows, and then use the folder called ke2200. There's no installer program, these are just driver files you locate with the Update Driver wizard from Device Manager.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Can't really decide if my issue deserves its on thread in tech support or not, but here's my issue:

I recently decided to upgrade my motherboard from an Asrock h97m to an Asus z97-a. The old mobo had been gifted to my gf along with new parts for her own upgrade.

Parts list:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/penpad/saved/czQJ7P

So I installed all the parts fired it up and the dram light is stuck on red and I'm getting no video output. Everything seems to be working fine (only exception, which I'm certain is unrelated, is the fan hub on my case won't work if I plug the cpu fan into it then the hub into the cpu fan port on the mobo, but if I plug the hub into a different fan port and the CPU fan directly to the motherboard it works fine)

I've pushed the memory ok button and no luck, I've swapped ram positions, tried one stick instead of two, different brands of sticks, and still nothing. Is it safe to assume the mobo is defective? I'll probably reach out to asus tech support tomorrow or Monday before doing a rma. Anyone else have this problem or know a fix?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So my dad had an IDE to USB 2.0 enclosure that he let me borrow. I hooked it up and it recognized the hard drive on my new computer for about 12 seconds, then it disappeared from the list of hardware. What does that mean? lovely or damaged connections? Same thing happened when I tried hooking it up to my old computer. I had removed the jumper from it before trying it on both occasions, when replacing the jumper, nothing happened altogether when hooking it back up.

I'm still going to try with the SATA adapter once it shows up on tuesday or wednesday, but this is weirding me out. I know a computer center that might be able to help me out with recovery for an affordable price so all is not lost if the drive is not able to be recovered via IDE to [x] adapters.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does that enclosure come with a power adapter?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Does that enclosure come with a power adapter?

Yep.

it's one of these.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I have a "MSI Z97 Gaming 5" motherboard and I'm installing "EVGA Superclocked DDR 3 Series Memory" (there are two of them in the package).

There are 4 places to place the memory in (DIMM1, DIMM2, DIMM3, DIMM4), but the MSI manual says, "DDR memory modules are not interchangeable with DDR2, and the DDR3 standard is not backwards compatible. Always install DDR3 memory modules in DDR3 DDIMM slots."

Does that mean I should install my two DDR3 Memory modules into DIMM1 and DIMM3?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

SgtSteel91 posted:

I have a "MSI Z97 Gaming 5" motherboard and I'm installing "EVGA Superclocked DDR 3 Series Memory" (there are two of them in the package).

There are 4 places to place the memory in (DIMM1, DIMM2, DIMM3, DIMM4), but the MSI manual says, "DDR memory modules are not interchangeable with DDR2, and the DDR3 standard is not backwards compatible. Always install DDR3 memory modules in DDR3 DDIMM slots."

Does that mean I should install my two DDR3 Memory modules into DIMM1 and DIMM3?
Page 1-15 in the manual says you install them in DIMM2 and DIMM4. The section you quoted is telling you not to put DDR2 RAM in your motherboard meant for DDR3, it's not talking about what slots to use.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I think I messed up with the thermal paste. I put the thermal paste on, put on the fan, but I had to remove the fan, and now I think I have to remove the paste and reapply it. How do I remove thermal paste?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

I think I messed up with the thermal paste. I put the thermal paste on, put on the fan, but I had to remove the fan, and now I think I have to remove the paste and reapply it. How do I remove thermal paste?

I always used isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth. Make sure that the cpu dries completely before going for another try.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I think I got as much thermal paste as I could off of the CPU.

But there's still some stuff not on the top of it, but on the lower plate before it dips into the motherboard.

It's hard to get that stuff off without removing the CPU itself from the motherboard.

Can I leave it be, or should I remove the CPU and clean it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
That should be fine, as long as its normal white paste and not metallic stuff like Arctic Silver that's electrically conductive.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I think I got as much thermal paste as I could off of the CPU.

But there's still some stuff not on the top of it, but on the lower plate before it dips into the motherboard.

It's hard to get that stuff off without removing the CPU itself from the motherboard.

Can I leave it be, or should I remove the CPU and clean it?

How much thermal paste are you using? Did it leak onto the sides when you were removing the fan or when you installed the fan?

Anyway, I'd probably go safer route and remove the cpu and clean the sides too. Careful with the alcohol on any part that is not the heat spreader.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ok so I removed the CPU and I think I managed to get as much of the thermal paste off without it or the alcohol touching the green parts.

I'll let it sit and dry for the night before I try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

With the amounts you apply while wiping, isopropylalcohol will have fully evaporated within a few minutes. I sometimes use it in the lab to clean solvent-sensitive parts for coating application and don't even bother waiting after wiping it off because it evaporates so fast.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

(cross-posting with the laptop megathread) I'm refurbing an HP Folio 13-2000 and this little guy popped out. Anyone know what it is/does?

Sorry I can't focus better, got a case of the shaky hands.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Wilford Cutlery posted:

(cross-posting with the laptop megathread) I'm refurbing an HP Folio 13-2000 and this little guy popped out. Anyone know what it is/does?

Sorry I can't focus better, got a case of the shaky hands.
Can you take a picture of the other side?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looks like a thingy to me, definitely gubbins

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Just following up with this, talked to ASUS support this morning and they believe the board is defective.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So my motherboard has Sysfan1, 2, and 3 as well as CPUfan1 and 2. I have three fans that came with the case and one for the cooling unit. Which fans should I plug into Sysfan and CPUfan?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alereon posted:

Can you take a picture of the other side?

Sure thing, here are a couple of better pics:

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

I would like to use a USB hub to connect my keyboard and mouse to the computer, what should I bear in mind when looking for a hub?
Thanks.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Vier posted:

I would like to use a USB hub to connect my keyboard and mouse to the computer, what should I bear in mind when looking for a hub?
Thanks.
Just about any unpowered USB 2.0 hub should be fine. They're mostly commodity parts at this point.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Sure thing, here are a couple of better pics:
Doesn't look like a component from the main system board from what I can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vHtcnDQNSc

Probably something from around under the palmrest/trackpad area, but no idea what it was meant to do. Looks like it was screwed down improperly and broke free - fortunately if you can figure out where it was supposed to be it doesn't look like any traces were compromised at least on the surface of the board.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 21, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

So my motherboard has Sysfan1, 2, and 3 as well as CPUfan1 and 2. I have three fans that came with the case and one for the cooling unit. Which fans should I plug into Sysfan and CPUfan?

My first instinct would be to stick the CPU cooler's fan in CPUfan1 and the case fans into Sysfan1, 2 and 3.
Which fan header the case fans are connected to doesn't matter terribly much, but some motherboards have software that can alter their speed on temperature demands, so check the manual if there's a preferred order.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

Well, the fan on your cpu heatsink should go in CPUfan 1 and then you can decide what you want to do with the other ones.

Essentially you're using those so that you can get information about the fans through the bios and also through programs like speedfan or cpu-z. Just remember which fans you plugged into which so that you know what each of the fans is doing when you're monitoring them.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yesterday I messed up applying the thermal paste and had to clean it off. I cleaned it off the CPU and cooler but it was late and I decided to reapply the cooling unit later. The motherboard is screwed into the case with the CPU, the case is also sealed, and the cooling unit was left out. Should I clean the CPU and cooling unit before applying the thermal paste and hooking in the cooling unit?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yesterday I messed up applying the thermal paste and had to clean it off. I cleaned it off the CPU and cooler but it was late and I decided to reapply the cooling unit later. The motherboard is screwed into the case with the CPU, the case is also sealed, and the cooling unit was left out. Should I clean the CPU and cooling unit before applying the thermal paste and hooking in the cooling unit?

I'm confused. Are you asking if you should clean them again because you think dust got on there from being left out last night? A quick sweep with a microfiber towel should be just fine.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

RhoA posted:

I'm confused. Are you asking if you should clean them again because you think dust got on there from being left out last night? A quick sweep with a microfiber towel should be just fine.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Thanks!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've always used coffee filters for cleaning thermal paste primarily because they don't leave crud around when you're done.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fishmech posted:

This is an example of an enclosure you could get that would handle it fine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S5J6NJ9A2JYS2HF

There's cheaper ones if you hunt around.
Got this in yesterday, it worked and I transferred everything off the drive safely. I'll keep it around as a backup I guess. Thanks for the recommendation, I guess the USB 2.0 enclosure my dad had was busted/faulty.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I got a Thrustmaster gamepad that used to work perfectly fine on windows 7 but now I just pulled it out to play broforce, on windows 8.1, and while it shows everything being normal in windows' and thrustmasters calibration tool it goes apeshit in games and presses random buttons. Been googling up and down but couldn't find anything helpful so far.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The PC building thread recommends changing hard drives out after 5 years as they become more likely to die. As a result I am going to buy a 2 TB drive to replace my current 1 TB drive. Is there a way I can run these together so the computer thinks they are one drive but when the old one inevitably dies I don't lose any data? Otherwise I guess I just have to throw away a perfectly good drive because it has a high chance of dying.

Also related to this what is the best way to transfer data from one to another? My current drive has a bunch of system linked poo poo which I don't want to break so if my above idea doesn't work I just want to straight copy the drive by they are different sizes so I can't do an image?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Red_Fred posted:

The PC building thread recommends changing hard drives out after 5 years as they become more likely to die. As a result I am going to buy a 2 TB drive to replace my current 1 TB drive. Is there a way I can run these together so the computer thinks they are one drive but when the old one inevitably dies I don't lose any data? Otherwise I guess I just have to throw away a perfectly good drive because it has a high chance of dying.

Also related to this what is the best way to transfer data from one to another? My current drive has a bunch of system linked poo poo which I don't want to break so if my above idea doesn't work I just want to straight copy the drive by they are different sizes so I can't do an image?

You can do a software raid 1 in Windows but I'd avoid it. I was doing that for my music, pictures, and documents and one drive started to give back corrupt data. Windows eventually detected synchronisation errors but couldn't tell which drive was good, and I was less experienced back then. Unthinkingly I repaired the array in Windows and that lead to my only live copies of many files being corrupted. Eventually I restored everything I could from an old external (this was before I had a cloud backup going), then manually looked through the remaining music and pictures to find corrupted files.

Also gently caress file systems without checksumming. A filesystem should at least be able to tell me which files have damaged blocks, it's not the 90s anymore.

My recommendation is to get a new drive, copy all the content from the old drive, then unplug it and leave it alone in case you need it.

E: Also you can image a smaller drive onto a larger one, then later expand the partition to fill the new drive. The important thing is to avoid destroying the data on the old drive in case you screw something up or the new drive is bad.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 24, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Red_Fred posted:

I don't think it's really necessary to replace your harddrive on a schedule at the 5 year mark, unless the data you work on daily is EXTREMELY important to you. Most people just keep current backups of their important data so that if their harddrive does die they can restore to the replacement and don't lose more than their last day or so of changes. If dealing with a drive failure would be exceedingly inconvenient then it probably is smart to do a replacement now.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Does anyone know if there is a way to make a surface book trackpad have macbook like gestures? I really miss not being able to go backwards and forwards with a swipe.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When using "Logitech Gaming Software" with a gaming mouse (G502), what should "pointer speed" and "enhance pointer precision" be set to in windows for optimal result?

I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) you want windows to be 1:1 and control "speed" via DPI settings on the mouse itself -- but no clue what corresponds to 1:1.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 25, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Chuu posted:

When using "Logitech Gaming Software" with a gaming mouse (G502), what should "pointer speed" and "enhance pointer precision" be set to in windows for optimal result?

6/11 and uncheck enhance pp

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Chuu posted:

I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) you want windows to be 1:1 and control "speed" via DPI settings on the mouse itself -- but no clue what corresponds to 1:1.
Max out the pointer speed and check "enhance pointer precision", control mouse sensitivity via DPI. "Enhanced Pointer Precision" is mouse acceleration which is pretty critical for a mouse-based UI.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Alereon posted:

Max out the pointer speed and check "enhance pointer precision", control mouse sensitivity via DPI. "Enhanced Pointer Precision" is mouse acceleration which is pretty critical for a mouse-based UI.

Max pointer speed is not 1:1, which is bad. He wants pointer speed at notch 6 of 11.

Pointer precision is mouse acceleration, yes. 99% of gamers don't want mouse acceleration as it feels inconsistent and bad. If you want acceleration in game (unlikely), its best to enable it at the end of the chain (in-game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

BurritoJustice posted:

Max pointer speed is not 1:1, which is bad. He wants pointer speed at notch 6 of 11.

Pointer precision is mouse acceleration, yes. 99% of gamers don't want mouse acceleration as it feels inconsistent and bad. If you want acceleration in game (unlikely), its best to enable it at the end of the chain (in-game).
Thanks for the correction on the pointer speed setting, but regarding pointer precision since you want mouse acceleration enabled in Windows but NOT in games it makes the most sense to enable it in Windows and disable it in your per-game profile in your mouse settings. I couldn't imagine trying to use Windows without mouse acceleration enabled.