Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

I feel like this was supposed to be a 2 1/2 hour movie with some more explanation of what the gently caress is going on and Disney was like, "lolnope make it an even 2."

Which was a good decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DeusExMachinima posted:

Sabers are unrealistic and trying to work with a weightless blade against a trained user with years of practice like Kylo should've left both main characters dismembered in seconds. Sci-fiFantasy is unrealistic, get over it.

Still mega annoyed though that the not-Empire apparently can either hyperspace entire planets on demand or Starkiller has an FTL anti-star/planet beam that can hit anywhere from anywhere. I mean, like, GG rebels.

Starkiller Base is a Weapon Sue

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was an interesting choice by the filmmakers to go back in time and cast David-Warner-circa-Tom-Jones as one of the Imperial commanders.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Josh Lyman posted:

Jurassic World was a trash movie and its box office numbers just go to prove that people are dumb.

Movies can be trash but still be fun. Jurassic World is one of those movies. Chris Pratt and his raptor bros hunting down a GMO hybrid dinosair is a hilarious concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"This weapon doesn't have any weaknesses except the giant glaring weakness presented onscreen but that doesn't count for some reason."

Like seriously "it needs to literally destroy a sun and takes a long time to charge and if it isn't carefully controlled it literally blows itself up" is actually a weakness.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DeusExMachinima posted:

It's entirely possible that what you're saying is true, but you have to admit the movie is really vague and fast-moving when it comes to Starkiller in particular. The fact that I'm not even clear if it's firing a beam through hyperspace at anywhere or actually going to the systems it's destroying should tell you that. I feel like this was supposed to be a 2 1/2 hour movie with some more explanation of what the gently caress is going on and Disney was like, "lolnope make it an even 2."
They said all of that, though. They explained literally all of the things you're saying they didn't. Did you pop out to the bathroom ever? Because that's likely when it happened.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Lightsaber blades have the same mass as a three-foot long, inch-wide Carbon-fiber rod on Earth

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Movies can be trash but still be fun.

True. However, Jurassic Worlds and its fans are just trash.

Unlike this movie which is good and fun.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Abrams seems to embrace the idea that "hyperspace" and "warp" and "light years away" just mean "fast" and "far", it's the source of a lot of the handwavery in his Trek movies too, but Star Wars works on Flash Gordon logic anyway so it's no biggie.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Who said lightsaber blades are weightless? They're not literally made of light.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kurzon posted:

People try to use real science and apply it to Star Wars, it never works

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Abrams seems to embrace the idea that "hyperspace" and "warp" and "light years away" just mean "fast" and "far", it's the source of a lot of the handwavery in his Trek movies too, but Star Wars works on Flash Gordon logic anyway so it's no biggie.

Yeah, worrying about that stuff is pointless in Star Wars. Rey's journey across that galaxy to find Luke isn't going to be some thousand year long Forever War journey, she just goes there in a few hours / days. This kind of story doesn't work very well if everyone you know and love has been dead for a hundred years when you drop out of your first hyperspace jump.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Frackie Robinson posted:

Starkiller Base is a Weapon Sue

Honestly for something that engulfs the power of an entire star, firing a few FTL beams seems a bit underwhelming.

It probably would have made more sense for plot and pacing for it to not suck a whole star but be tethered to it (like the Star Forge in KOTOR), and to have fired at Mazz(sp?)'s pirate base planet's star. You get a nice "holy crap" and the whole resistance coming in, lightsaber duel, etc. are all then under say a 5 minute clock for the shockwave to hit and wipe out the planet.

Wiping out a whole government that wasn't properly introduced doesn't really work. But blowing up the pirate base's whole system as a test would have driven more action for the characters.

Oh well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Old fogeys' opinion: dad really enjoyed it, mom got headaches from the 3D. She and I have real troubles with some 3D movies that we haven't been able to pin down on a specific technology or approach to it (I have a much better time with "pull background away" 3D than "push foreground forward" but either one can cause problems). Some work great for us, some cause pain, I just watch everything in 2D to be safe.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Lightsaber blades have the same mass as a three-foot long, inch-wide Carbon-fiber rod on Earth

Kurzon posted:

If I remember correctly, the idea of lightsabers from A New Hope was that they were supposed to be basically weightless. But they had no budget for a fight choreographer (and the main fight was between an untrained older actor and a dude in a heavy suit and a tunnel-vision mask), so Lucas made up an excuse that the blades were actually really heavy. It's why Han visibly struggles with using the thing (and the relatively slow, boring lightsaber combat) in Empire Strikes Back.

Flash forward to Return Of the Jedi, and Lucas realizes that "Dur, energy is heavy" poo poo is stupid as hell, and things get faster.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Weren't the prop sabers in ANH heavy themselves? As I recall, they were trying to make them practical effects at first, so they had a motorized part.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm looking forward to Episode VIII: The First Order Stacks Up, and Episode IX: The Return of Giuseppe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Revenge of Captain Phasma.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Just saw this. I liked it but it felt so rushed. Their space travel was so instantaneous that i felt no sense of scale at all. I loved pretty much every character but again wanted things to slow down and let things sink in before we rushed off to the next set piece. I'd call it a solid B and if the cast keep up the great performances and they can be a bit less fan servicey then I'm really looking forward to the next instalment.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

therobotking posted:

Just saw this. I liked it but it felt so rushed. Their space travel was so instantaneous that i felt no sense of scale at all. I loved pretty much every character but again wanted things to slow down and let things sink in before we rushed off to the next set piece. I'd call it a solid B and if the cast keep up the great performances and they can be a bit less fan servicey then I'm really looking forward to the next instalment.

Hyperspace travel has always been instantaneous in Star Wars. The only space travel of any consequence was Han and Leia flying from the Anoat Asteroid Field to Bespin; because they did it at sublight speeds.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Hyperspace travel has always been instantaneous in Star Wars. The only space travel of any consequence was Han and Leia flying from the Anoat Asteroid Field to Bespin; because they did it at sublight speeds.

There was the trip to Alderaan right after the Death Star blew it up.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Any SMG analysis yet?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

They were in hyperspace for, what, a couple of minutes? That scene is not very long.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Watched this a second time and enjoyed it a whole hell of a lot more for whatever reason.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

jivjov posted:

Hyperspace travel has always been instantaneous in Star Wars.

jivjov posted:

They were in hyperspace for, what, a couple of minutes? That scene is not very long.

Uuuuuuh

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

It's all of the stuff with "let the Wookie win" and Luke training with the lightsaber, so it's not insignificant.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

computer parts posted:

Strangely there is a actual chart that says Tatooine is in the outer rim and Alderaan is a core world.

http://www.starwars-chronicles.com/Hyperspace_Travel_Time.htm

96 hours.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I'm pretty sure light speed in Star Wars takes just as long as the plot/scene needs it to.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Crow_Robot posted:

I'm pretty sure light speed in Star Wars takes just as long as the plot/scene needs it to.

but my immersion

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Strangely there is a actual chart that says Tatooine is in the outer rim and Alderaan is a core world.

http://www.starwars-chronicles.com/Hyperspace_Travel_Time.htm

96 hours.

The banner of that website says STAR WARS Chronciles: Infinities PBEM RPG so from a first glance I sort of question the credibility

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lightspeed travel is never presented as very long. It's more akin to a bus ride than a plane trip. Aside from in ANH I don't even think we get any meaningfully long scenes with characters waiting for lightspeed travel to end.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Thinking about Knights of Ren: I finally figured out what Kylo Ren standing with half a dozen guys with slight different armor/weapons reminds me of: Vader talking with the bounty hunters. Not saying that's what they are of course, but visually I couldn't put my finger on it until now.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

If I remember correctly, the idea of lightsabers from A New Hope was that they were supposed to be basically weightless. But they had no budget for a fight choreographer (and the main fight was between an untrained older actor and a dude in a heavy suit and a tunnel-vision mask), so Lucas made up an excuse that the blades were actually really heavy. It's why Han visibly struggles with using the thing (and the relatively slow, boring lightsaber combat) in Empire Strikes Back.

Flash forward to Return Of the Jedi, and Lucas realizes that "Dur, energy is heavy" poo poo is stupid as hell, and things get faster.

They explain the logic behind everything pretty well in this video (starting at 3:32):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIefj6dOhnM&t=212s

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Okay, "instantaneous" was a bad choice of word; but travel time has never been a big deal in Star Wars. It takes this long:

Crow_Robot posted:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeusExMachinima posted:

Still mega annoyed though that the not-Empire apparently can either hyperspace entire planets on demand or Starkiller has an FTL anti-star/planet beam that can hit anywhere from anywhere. I mean, like, GG rebels.

Also don't forget that if you look at the image of Starkiller base on the posters they've replaced at least 1/3 of the planet with machinery. It takes decades to outfit planets with hyperspace capabilities, they can't go shooting any old planet off across space.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Star Wars is about pure movie logic. Lightsabers are cool looking laser swords so they are the best weapon, hyperspace takes as long as it needs to, etc.

One thought regarding issues that came up in the last thread- Rey treats BB8 like a living thing instead of a slave. She rescues it from another scavenger, and refuses to sell to the sleazy guy despite being offered all the insta food she could ever need. It's an early sign that she's a good guy. Maybe droid liberation is gonna be a thing?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

One of the more understated things from the OT I really liked was how Luke was a pure dick to 3PO and R2 at the beginning of A New Hope but by the end of the triology R2 is like his best friend/strategist.

e: Everyone still hates 3PO though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Crow_Robot posted:

One of the more understated things from the OT I really liked was how Luke was a pure dick to 3PO and R2 at the beginning of A New Hope but by the end of the triology R2 is like his best friend/strategist.

"You probably didn't recognize me because of my red arm" is the best line in the movie.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

"You probably didn't recognize me because of my red arm" is the best line in the movie.

Yeah that was hilarious. And adding onto my previous post I really dig that Luke kept R2 with him the whole way, even through all the new Jedi academy stuff apparently, up until his self-imposed exile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Crow_Robot posted:

That's not true. Luke is nice as hell to both the droids. He doesn't even want Threepio to call him "Master."

It's one of the main reasons Luke is so immediately likable: he treats his servants like actual people.

• Locked thread