Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

HMS Boromir posted:

All that being said, McDonald's tastes really good and I've yet to figure out if it's some kind of acquired taste or if everyone in the world is loving with me when they say it's inedible except drunk or whatever.

McDonalds tastes really good because they pack it full of salt and sugar and other things that are designed to taste good at the expense of actually being good. That's why they can sell burgers for one dollar and still be raking in billions. It's not that it tastes bad, like something rotten, it's that it tastes empty and hollow when compared to something that's actually had the time, energy, and money put into it needed to make an incredible meal. If it tasted bad it wouldn't be selling a billion burgers, it's just squarely aimed at people who either don't care that much about a well-rounded healthy meal, can't afford anything better, or people that can't actually taste the difference. I think there's a lot of hyperbole that gets thrown around at fast-food restaurants like McDonalds and Applebees, when most people really wouldn't turn down eating there if there wasn't much else to choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Captain Bravo posted:

McDonalds tastes really good because they pack it full of salt and sugar and other things that are designed to taste good at the expense of actually being good.

It's not interesting food and it's godawful for you, but as you say it's literally designed to take the fastest shortcut to your pleasure center that it can, so you buy and eat more of it. You can recognize it as such, but I don't believe an understanding that it's just shoveling sugar and salt into your mouth makes you no longer like shoveling sugar and salt in your mouth on a basic, sensory level.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
personally I like to eat food. it tastes good.

also Id like to see what these high minded hyper efficient humans do with their time because I bet it is dumb as heck and they waste inordinate amounts of time on equally frivolous activities

not everybody has to like everything, and there is definitely a level of pretence in many foodie things but belittling all things you dont appreciate about food and assuming that everybody is just pretending just cos you dont get it makes you a big idiot baby

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I'm with you, Ausmund. I can tell the difference between a nice steak from a good restaurant vs IHOP steaks (or nice pancakes vs IHOP pancakes) but I don't feel like the difference is worth it. Preparing and eating food is a huge time sink for me that I wish I could get rid of. For me it's like having to sew your clothes by hand vs using a machine - you will probably feel some "craftsmanship" or pride from the hand sewn ones but there's a reason most people buy machine-sewn clothes. The difference in fit, matching my taste, and stuff like that I could get from making my own clothes isn't worth it to me. If I could take a pill so that I never had to eat again I would absolutely do it. I don't really get any enjoyment out of eating with others. It's unpleasant and I wish it wasn't such a big part of school/work culture.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

HMS Boromir posted:

All that being said, McDonald's tastes really good and I've yet to figure out if it's some kind of acquired taste or if everyone in the world is loving with me when they say it's inedible except drunk or whatever.

little of column A little of column B, fast food is an acquired taste as well as being really fucken hard on your guts, after going like a year without eating any I started getting sick any time I tried again, but it still tasted good the first time past the teeth and the people making the most noise about being flamboyantly offended by its existence are the same kind of deeply class-insecure bougies who get really upset that anyone likes pro wrestling or country music.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 20, 2015

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Ausmund posted:

Just tv, movies, books, and games... just typical stuff. But they're more like time wasters. But I probably haven't been getting as my enjoyment out of them that apparently everyone else in the world is. There's nothing I would describe as "intense and pleasurable experience", and wasn't aware that I was suppose to be.

Yo dude if you really can't think of something you genuinely enjoy and all your hobbies and things you like are at best time wasters, that sounds like extreme anhedonia and you should talk to the therapist I assume you have about whether you've always felt like that and whether you're on the right medication and strategies to overcome it and etc etc because it's possible to feel happiness and you should try

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

little of column A little of column B, fast food is an acquired taste as well as being really fucken hard on your guts, after going like a year without eating any I started getting sick any time I tried again, but it still tasted good the first time past the teeth and the people making the most noise about being flamboyantly offended by its existence are the same kind of deeply class-insecure bougies who get really upset that anyone likes pro wrestling or country music.

It tastes good in the same way as a haribo sweet or something, like it's a sugar hit but it's pretty empty and eating a whole bag would get unpleasant quite quickly and make you feel ill, especially if you're not used to it (built up a tolerance for/expectation of massive amounts of salt and sugar and poo poo)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bartlebyshop posted:

I'm with you, Ausmund. I can tell the difference between a nice steak from a good restaurant vs IHOP steaks (or nice pancakes vs IHOP pancakes) but I don't feel like the difference is worth it. Preparing and eating food is a huge time sink for me that I wish I could get rid of.

You can buy a raw New York strip steak or a ribeye for $10-15 at any upscale grocer that's incomparably better than some IHOP sirloin steak. You can cook such a thing in 5-10 minutes, in a single pan, with little to no skill or prep time.

True story!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

litany of gulps posted:

You can buy a raw New York strip steak or a ribeye for $10-15 at any upscale grocer that's incomparably better than some IHOP sirloin steak. You can cook such a thing in 5-10 minutes, in a single pan, with little to no skill or prep time.

True story!

Ok but:

- It will take me at least a 1/2 hour to eat half the steak and the vegetables I will make for the side, during which I would rather be doing something else.
- Even though the steak will be better than IHOP, the reason I made the restaurant comparison was that someone who's really good at cooking still can't make a steak I can really bring myself to care about. It's not so much better than eating oatmeal or just not eating that I would eat really nice steaks regularly even if they cost me nothing.
- I won't be able to eat the entire thing, and it will keep badly.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You're going to great lengths to rationalize unhealthy behaviour and frankly it makes you sound like an idiot.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

grack posted:

You're going to great lengths to rationalize unhealthy behaviour and frankly it makes you sound like an idiot.

Maybe? Can you explain what is unhealthy (were you replying to me?)? Mostly I eat salads or sandwiches with turkey breast on them.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Asmund, you just kind of come off as obnoxious about the whole subject of food - not because you don't like it but because you seem incapable of accepting that other people might have different experiences/pleasures which are just as valid as yours. Like this:

Ausmund posted:

I do not understand food worship, love of food, foodies, food culture, or food snobs. Why spend $50 on a loving steak when you can get a $10 one at IHOP? And so what if I like putting A1 and hot sauce on my steak, I payed for it, I'll eat it the way I like it, I'm not insulting the cook. Who cares? Why blow that much money on one meal? Same thing with alcohol. Vodka is vodka, the cheap stuff is just as good as the regular stuff. It tastes practically the same. Why is all of what is considered "half way decent" the really expensive stuff otherwise you have no taste? Are people just trying to look sophisticated and cultured to impress others or what? Same with beer, "don't drink THAT beer! It's piss water! Spend $7 on this one glass of craft beer instead." To me, inexpensive beer like Miller and Coors is perfectly fine.

Who cares if someone wants to spend $50 on a steak or on quality vodka or whatever? You don't like people judging you for putting A1 on your steak, but you are being just as judgement about people who have different priorities, different preferences, and different pleasures.

You say you gain pleasure out of video games and mass media - why blow that much money on one game or on a tv or whatever? Because you enjoy it, and you consider it a worthwhile expenditure in time and money for what you gain out of it. Other people (most people, actually) enjoy eating food. It's a good survival trait, not an affectation. It can be pleasurable in a primal sense, a social sense, and in the sense of personal efficacy (learning to cook and prepare good food, etc).

Some foodies might be getting far more out of some of the social aspects than the literal taste/satisfying nutritional needs aspects, but oh well. Personally I think things like toast bars or other hipster foodie nonsense is dumb, but whatever, other people would find some of my hobbies or interests dumb. I still love eating and cooking, and one of the joys of travel for me is getting to experience different cuisine.

Ausmund posted:

There is also no reason to buy a toaster or microwave. Stove and oven is all you need. I've never used a toaster oven.

Again, you are assuming that something that applies to you must therefore apply to everyone. Maybe there is no reason for you to buy a toaster or microwave, but that doesn't mean there is no reason for other people to buy them. A fire is all you technically "need", but I certainly enjoy that modern first world living allows me to cook something on a stove and then pop the leftovers in the microwave the next day.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
If you truly just hate food that much they do make monkey chow, you can probably just live on that. Doesn't even waste your time cooking. Me I need some variety in my diet.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I will never stop being amazed at the idea of having to eat McDonalds because you're poor. Here it's definitely a luxury item you apologetically shove in your face because you just couldn't help yourself.

bartlebyshop posted:

Maybe? Can you explain what is unhealthy (were you replying to me?)? Mostly I eat salads or sandwiches with turkey breast on them.

For what it's worth, I think it's admirable that you at least make the effort to eat a reasonable diet.

Feeding yourself properly is a normal adult responsibility just like brushing your teeth, whether people like it or not. It's pretty telling that most picky eater types only eat toddler foods and brush improvement off with an "I don't wanna and you can't make me!"

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Enfys posted:

Asmund, you just kind of come off as obnoxious about the whole subject of food - not because you don't like it but because you seem incapable of accepting that other people might have different experiences/pleasures which are just as valid as yours. Like this:

Who cares if someone wants to spend $50 on a steak or on quality vodka or whatever? You don't like people judging you for putting A1 on your steak, but you are being just as judgement about people who have different priorities, different preferences, and different pleasures.

You say you gain pleasure out of video games and mass media - why blow that much money on one game or on a tv or whatever? Because you enjoy it, and you consider it a worthwhile expenditure in time and money for what you gain out of it. Other people (most people, actually) enjoy eating food. It's a good survival trait, not an affectation. It can be pleasurable in a primal sense, a social sense, and in the sense of personal efficacy (learning to cook and prepare good food, etc).

Some foodies might be getting far more out of some of the social aspects than the literal taste/satisfying nutritional needs aspects, but oh well. Personally I think things like toast bars or other hipster foodie nonsense is dumb, but whatever, other people would find some of my hobbies or interests dumb. I still love eating and cooking, and one of the joys of travel for me is getting to experience different cuisine.

Again, you are assuming that something that applies to you must therefore apply to everyone. Maybe there is no reason for you to buy a toaster or microwave, but that doesn't mean there is no reason for other people to buy them. A fire is all you technically "need", but I certainly enjoy that modern first world living allows me to cook something on a stove and then pop the leftovers in the microwave the next day.

I was just stating my personal feelings on the matter. That's not how I think the world actually works.

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 21, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bartlebyshop posted:

Your excuses are mind-bogglingly, jaw-droppingly stupid.

"It takes too long to eat"? Are you loving kidding me? What kind of idiot uses that as excuse not to cook? Do you exclusively cook 8 course meals and insist on a wine pairing or do you eat everything through a straw?

I can't even wrap my head around the idea of not "caring" about food not made by a restaurant even if it's (as you admit) probably better. Like, this is so far out there I don't even know how to approach it.

Last, it won't "keep"? Do you not have a fridge and have to keep all your foodstuffs underneath a rock on your balcony? You can google recipes for leftovers. If you have internet (which you must at least some of the time if you're posting here) you can search for recipes. It ain't tough.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
In all seriousness, you guys that see eating as a chore, have you tried meal replacement stuff like Soylent? I've heard you can get by with basically an egg and some fruit for breakfast, and Soylent for lunch and dinner.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

grack posted:

Your excuses are mind-bogglingly, jaw-droppingly stupid.

"It takes too long to eat"? Are you loving kidding me? What kind of idiot uses that as excuse not to cook? Do you exclusively cook 8 course meals and insist on a wine pairing or do you eat everything through a straw?

I can't even wrap my head around the idea of not "caring" about food not made by a restaurant even if it's (as you admit) probably better. Like, this is so far out there I don't even know how to approach it.

Last, it won't "keep"? Do you not have a fridge and have to keep all your foodstuffs underneath a rock on your balcony? You can google recipes for leftovers. If you have internet (which you must at least some of the time if you're posting here) you can search for recipes. It ain't tough.

If I make about 4 oz of steak and a half plate of vegetables, I'll probably take 45 minutes - an hour to eat it. I guess I eat slowly?

Do you want me to try explaining more about the not caring thing?

I'm not saying it's hard, I guess, I just don't really value it very much. If I could spend some time learning a recipe for leftovers, or instead spend most of that time reading a book or learning something for my job and a small part throwing a sandwich together, I'd pick the reading. I'm sorry I've annoyed you.

quote:

In all seriousness, you guys that see eating as a chore, have you tried meal replacement stuff like Soylent? I've heard you can get by with basically an egg and some fruit for breakfast, and Soylent for lunch and dinner.

I haven't tried Soylent, because I've heard it gives you awful gas and that's not fair to people around me. I have tried Mealsquares, they were ok. It was nice to know pretty exactly how many calories I was getting. Both are kind of expensive per meal, though.

sat on my keys! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 21, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bartlebyshop posted:

If I make about 4 oz of steak and a half plate of vegetables, I'll probably take 45 minutes - an hour to eat it. I guess I eat slowly?

Extremely slowly, I'd say. I'll take down a 12 oz. ribeye in 15 or 20 minutes, with sides, usually. Maybe 30 minutes if I'm having a leisurely meal.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Bravo posted:

I want to. I think the store might have some meal replacement powder I could mix with some milk so I can skip breakfast.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Captain Bravo posted:

Except all the claims about Soylent are pretty bogus because you can't actually replace all the nutrients/vitamins/minerals etc that a person needs with a drink whose main ingredient is essentially artificial sugar. It's like how Ensure is touted as a meal replacement despite being expensive sugar water.

The human digestive system flat out isn't designed to process a mass quantity of nutrients in one go, and especially not in liquid food. Breaking down solid food (from chewing straight through the intestines to pooping) is a critical part of healthy human digestion.

Another issue is the maltodextrin, which is the main ingredient. Diet companies love it because it's really cheap, massively extends shelf life, and they can say it isn't sugar despite it being hydrolyzed corn starch with double the glycemic index of regular sugar. People say that its value is that it's so easy for the body to absorb, but that's a bad thing when it comes to artificial sugars. That's likely the reason why in animal studies, the mice ended up showing signs of hypertension, increased blood sugar, and other problems.

Our digestive tracts are also really poorly equipped to process synthetic versions of vitamins. Soylent contains basically the cheapest forms of vitamins, which the human body isn't designed to absorb - like D2, which technically allows it to meet the RDA requirements for our vitamin D needs, but our bodies are really bad at converting D2 into active forms of Vitamin D that we use (and it's taxing on the kidneys to do it). Cheap, synthetic forms of vitamins that we can't absorb just become more garbage for your liver and kidneys to sort out. Another big issue is protein - soylent uses primarily rice (and a bit of soy) for protein, but these contain mostly non-essential forms of protein and very little of the essential proteins. Our body can make non-essential proteins itself, but the essential ones must be acquired through our diet. Much like with the vitamins, soylent provides adequate protein in a strictly by the numbers sense, but not in the way that our bodies really need or can use it.

You can't suddenly fool hundreds of thousands of years of evolution built upon gaining nutrients from eating food with a magic drink or pill. Just eat some food like the complex living organism you are. Even the sea cucumbers that just sit on a rock with tentacles out have to expend a bit of effort staying alive.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 21, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PiratePing posted:

I will never stop being amazed at the idea of having to eat McDonalds because you're poor. Here it's definitely a luxury item you apologetically shove in your face because you just couldn't help yourself.

I don't know where you live but in America they have this thing called a dollar menu where everything on it is literally a dollar

Sometimes it's like a buck forty now for a double bacon cheeseburger or something

Enfys posted:

Except all the claims about Soylent are pretty bogus because you can't actually replace all the nutrients/vitamins/minerals etc that a person needs with a drink whose main ingredient is essentially artificial sugar. It's like how Ensure is touted as a meal replacement despite being expensive sugar water.

The human digestive system flat out isn't designed to process a mass quantity of nutrients in one go, and especially not in liquid food. Breaking down solid food (from chewing straight through the intestines to pooping) is a critical part of healthy human digestion.

Another issue is the maltodextrin, which is the main ingredient. Diet companies love it because it's really cheap, massively extends shelf life, and they can say it isn't sugar despite it being hydrolyzed corn starch with double the glycemic index of regular sugar. People say that its value is that it's so easy for the body to absorb, but that's a bad thing when it comes to artificial sugars. That's likely the reason why in animal studies, the mice ended up showing signs of hypertension, increased blood sugar, and other problems.

Our digestive tracts are also really poorly equipped to process synthetic versions of vitamins. Soylent contains basically the cheapest forms of vitamins, which the human body isn't designed to absorb - like D2, which technically allows it to meet the RDA requirements for our vitamin D needs, but our bodies are really bad at converting D2 into active forms of Vitamin D that we use (and it's taxing on the kidneys to do it). Cheap, synthetic forms of vitamins that we can't absorb just become more garbage for your liver and kidneys to sort out. Another big issue is protein - soylent uses primarily rice (and a bit of soy) for protein, but these contain mostly non-essential forms of protein and very little of the essential proteins. Our body can make non-essential proteins itself, but the essential ones must be acquired through our diet. Much like with the vitamins, soylent provides adequate protein in a strictly by the numbers sense, but not in the way that our bodies really need or can use it.

You can't suddenly fool hundreds of thousands of years of evolution built upon gaining nutrients from eating food with a magic drink or pill. Just eat some food like the complex living organism you are. Even the sea cucumbers that just sit on a rock with tentacles out have to expend a bit of effort staying alive.

Soylent will probably keep you somewhere short of straight-up dying of malnutrition in the same sense that there's been like a thousand years of peasants getting through every day on a bowl of rice and weevils, so if your life is a bleak empty trudge of misery and you want to keep it that way it sounds like a fine choice and the Pigpen-style miasma of farts that'll surround you is a nice way to give everyone else fair warning about talking to you

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 21, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This topic is of particular interest to me because of one person I have worked with.

This is a fairly young guy, early twenties, fairly fit but not overly so. Every time he came in to work, he'd have a Starbucks drink. He didn't drink coffee, though, so it was everything BUT coffee; whipped cream, flavor shots, etc. This was always the big size, venti, but if he wanted a cold drink that day like a sugary iced tea it would be that thirty-ounce mofucker.

Anyhow, lunch would roll around and he'd hit up Dairy Queen. Get a burger, fries, soda, then grab whatever that bits-of-candy-in-soft-serve stuff is called, and eat that on the way back to work. Then he'd grab another Starbucks drink.

Now, here's the worst part: the place I worked had a soda fountain that any employee could hit up for free. There weren't many of us, and nobody could drink much soda, right?

So in the same eight-hour time frame this all happened in, this guy was also filling up his soda and draining it, non-stop.

And, if he felt tired, Red Bull or Monster to round it all out.

I don't know how they're still doing okay and how long it can last.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

This topic is of particular interest to me because of one person I have worked with.

This is a fairly young guy, early twenties, fairly fit but not overly so. Every time he came in to work, he'd have a Starbucks drink. He didn't drink coffee, though, so it was everything BUT coffee; whipped cream, flavor shots, etc. This was always the big size, venti, but if he wanted a cold drink that day like a sugary iced tea it would be that thirty-ounce mofucker.

Anyhow, lunch would roll around and he'd hit up Dairy Queen. Get a burger, fries, soda, then grab whatever that bits-of-candy-in-soft-serve stuff is called, and eat that on the way back to work. Then he'd grab another Starbucks drink.

Now, here's the worst part: the place I worked had a soda fountain that any employee could hit up for free. There weren't many of us, and nobody could drink much soda, right?

So in the same eight-hour time frame this all happened in, this guy was also filling up his soda and draining it, non-stop.

There are people that can keep up with these sorts of diets without serious ill effects for quite a long time - years or even decades. The problem is that it catches up to everyone sooner or later and when it does the results can be pretty horrifying.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

dude's feet are just gonna straight up fall off some day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

The opposite of overcooked chicken isn't medium rare it's somewhere in the medium well to well range, about 150 to 160*F.

It is when I like all meat quite rare, only reason I don't eat it that way is food poisoning.

Ausmund posted:

But what's considered well made and crap food is arbitrary and exaggerated.

Possibly if you have zero experience with the subject, yes. But as with almost any subject, while good and bad are often very subjective, they aren't arbitrary or exaggerated.

Good food is food that you enjoy, food that you want to eat because the experience of eating it is a good one. This can take a lot of forms (like chicken with fries and cheese on it, which is awful for you but tastes great, or something much more fancy like fish with herbs, much better for you and still delicious but also more complex) but the consistent theme is that good food is enjoyable and bad food is not.

It's not arbitrary because it differs from person to person to some degree.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 21, 2015

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

dude's feet are just gonna straight up fall off some day

The saddest thing is he's as much as told me there's diabetes in his family. It was like watching a heroin addict through a sugar-glass lens, and nothing I said made any difference.

I just can't imagine the feeling... your teeth all soft, your gums itchy, your breath syrupy, your heart racing, your hands shaking, your stomach bubbling... Did he feel none of those things after the 3000th Calorie of pure fructose?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

quote:

I usually just have a yoplait yogurt and an energy drink for lunch at work and don't eat instant mac cheese. I'll switch around making sandwich, little ceasers $5 pizza, pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, or a meal replacement bar. I pick up apples, bananas, and bags of salad kits. Also I drink a lot of coffee (black). Sometimes I'll have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and coffee for every meal. Or sometimes a bagel with tuna on it.
So we don't agree on the enjoyment of food, but how is my diet otherwise?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ausmund posted:

I was just stating my personal feelings on the matter. That's not how I think the world actually works.

Is there a possibility that you are just depressed and are experiencing anhedonia? Cause that would be a more likely explanation than one of your most fundamental biological drives just not working.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

PiratePing posted:

I'll never stop being amazed at goons saying "here" as though anybody else knows where the gently caress they live

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Here = not USA and aside from that, do you care?

Either you're american or not, what kind of non-american isn't that important.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Ausmund posted:

It's not that bad.

You're getting fruits and vegetables and a general variety that is better than "cheese pizza and a large coke for every meal".

I'm going to say don't sweat your particular diet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ausmund posted:

You don't eat vegetables apparently which is a bit worrying.

E: Oh, missed that bit, I dunno if you're deficient in anything you should need, but generally advice is eat more veg and fewer calories/salt. Though if you don't eat much anyway I guess you might be generally better off than a lot of people even on a poor diet.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

tacodaemon posted:

I'll never stop being amazed at goons saying "here" as though anybody else knows where the gently caress they live

I talked about the lack of toaster ovens in Europe on the previous page.

Also, you can safely take it as "anywhere except USA" because McDonalds being the cheapest food option available is a bizarre situation.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

Here = not USA and aside from that, do you care?

Either you're american or not, what kind of non-american isn't that important.

yeah it's just a polite way of acknowledging you're some kind of barbarian, that's fine, I wouldn't want to admit it directly either

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

bartlebyshop posted:

Are you talking about prep time + actually eating it or are you one of those aliens from Babylon 5 that meditates for 10 minutes after each bite?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Schizoid personality disorder seems like a good excuse for not enjoying food to me; it causes people not to enjoy very much at all. Railing at Ausmund for this is probably as futile as trying to make a person with Aspergers enjoy the art of subtle flirtation.

Most people with very limited diets probably have some sort of minor mental illness that interferes with pleasure and enjoyment. The people I know with monotonous diets tend to have monotonous lives , too - I assume they prefer life in the slow lane.

Since we can produce dog food that produces a perfectly healthy dog if eaten 3 meals a day for the lifetime of the dog, why can't we do this for human food? There have been a few attempts but they seem to have mostly been pricy novelties like Solent. The options shouldn't be "healthy diet" vs "junk food." It'd also be useful for troops trying to cut down on backpack weight.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BarbarianElephant posted:

Schizoid personality disorder seems like a good excuse for not enjoying food to me; it causes people not to enjoy very much at all. Railing at Ausmund for this is probably as futile as trying to make a person with Aspergers enjoy the art of subtle flirtation.

Most people with very limited diets probably have some sort of minor mental illness that interferes with pleasure and enjoyment. The people I know with monotonous diets tend to have monotonous lives , too - I assume they prefer life in the slow lane.

Since we can produce dog food that produces a perfectly healthy dog if eaten 3 meals a day for the lifetime of the dog, why can't we do this for human food? There have been a few attempts but they seem to have mostly been pricy novelties like Solent. The options shouldn't be "healthy diet" vs "junk food." It'd also be useful for troops trying to cut down on backpack weight.

MREs have existed for a long time and also humans in industrialized society get to choose their own diet, unlike your dog, who given an option would prefer turds and roadkill.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BarbarianElephant posted:

Someone is gonna correct me hard, but my guess would be that you can lead a relatively healthy life on rice, beans, bananas and multivitamin/minerals pills alone. Maybe there is a study somewhere about this.

So, throw some bananas, soaked beans and cooked rice in a blender and you got yourself some nice human chow. (Throw some garlic powder in, for the taste and to ward off vampires)

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

Are you talking about prep time + actually eating it or are you one of those aliens from Babylon 5 that meditates for 10 minutes after each bite?

Not including prep time, and I don't think I'm an alien. I take small bites and chew slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be fair, if it took me over an hour to consume a decent (10 oz.+) steak, I'd probably consider eating to be a lovely chore as well.

• Locked thread