Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Caros posted:

Once you've played both I'd probably agree with you, but legacy is designed as a once off anyways.

My endgame copy if Risk Legacy is a hell of a lot better and more played than vanilla Risk...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got my first game of Pandemic in last night, and had a really good time. We weren't playing correctly at first (misread the rules about infecting) so it was an easy introduction, but once we started playing correctly it got more fun. I'm looking forward to playing it more.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I have 30 odd people coming to a holiday party, and I'd like to set some games out around the place for people to goof off with. I've got Monikers, Skulls, Codenames and Ca$h & Gun$ (1st edition, with the old all-black foam guns) and I might pick up Two Rooms And A Boom and see if I can get half the guests running around like maniacs confusing the other half. I'm actually not much of a party game person myself, so please let me know if there are any extremely simple, very short games I should consider.

Don't worry, guests have been informed that anyone who tries to bring Cards Against Humanities or Exploding Kittens will be thrown into the pool along with their garbage game.

Add a device with 'Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes' and a copy of the defusing manual. Get people downloading spaceteam on their phones. Telestrations is always awesome as well.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Re: FCM vs Gallerist

Having played both a few times I prefer FCM by a good margin. But that's me though, I really like the heavy games that drown you in choices rather than being super tight.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

The End posted:

Add a device with 'Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes' and a copy of the defusing manual. Get people downloading spaceteam on their phones. Telestrations is always awesome as well.

Sadly, the pool house has never had good wifi, and I'm too lazy to rectify the situation!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pictomania, which you should know. ;)

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
For people that make foam core inserts, what tools do you use? Do you use a box cutter or a specialized foam core tool?

I want to make more inserts for my games, but I lost my tools in a move. I figured I might as well ask about what other people use.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

unpronounceable posted:

For people that make foam core inserts, what tools do you use? Do you use a box cutter or a specialized foam core tool?

I want to make more inserts for my games, but I lost my tools in a move. I figured I might as well ask about what other people use.

Just use an Exacto or Stanley and change the blade regularly.

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Sadly, the pool house has never had good wifi, and I'm too lazy to rectify the situation!

Keep talking doesn't require a connection iirc, just a laptop with it pre installed. Space team should be downloadable over 4g and works with Bluetooth.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I'm about to play dead of winter with my friends. How should I feel about this goons?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Saalkin posted:

I'm about to play dead of winter with my friends. How should I feel about this goons?

It is what it is. Don't let it drag on and don't expect much.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Saalkin posted:

Thread consensus was that it messes up the defector/traitor dynamic because it's so easy to get things to spiral into failure, and that its coolest mechanic (the Crossroads cards that trigger at the start of each turn and have dramatic tableaus and consequences) doesn't always work.

Personally, I've had fun each time I've played with a group of four, but we've never had a defector in the three-four times we've played. The game is stressful and intense as-is, and we're about 50-50 on success as it is. I've generally enjoyed it, which speaks to the advice to just not have defectors in the starting deck. If it's your game or you can finagle into doing the prep-work I'd act as if there was a chance of a defector and then just palm the card off.

E: If you like bleak post-apocalyptic zombie games that have bare survival as the only (challenging) goal, where you begrudge every mouth that doesn't contribute to your survival, and you're constantly scrabbling for resources and every advantage you can get, it definitely evokes that feeling. It's definitely on the Ameritrash side, though.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 21, 2015

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Saalkin posted:

Just lie back and think of Archipelago?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Saalkin posted:

If you're the traitor, just play it straight until you get 2 turns in a row, and then just unashamedly tank everything as hard as you can when that comes up.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

cbirdsong posted:

But this is entirely correct. I know a goon writes Meepletown and it's generally quite good - is there anything else like it?
Hey, that's us! Thanks! Though at this point Derek (a non-goon) writes most of the articles.

Our tastes don't always match up exactly (he loves Star Realms and Splendor and didn't care for Space Alert or BSG), but he's a darn good writer and always gives good reasons for his opinions.

I'm currently reviewing Steam Time, which is a new worker placement game by Rudiger Dorn (Istanbul, Goa). The article should be up in a week or two. Spoiler: I really like it after my first two plays.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If anyone needs a last minute gift Codenames is $19 with Prime shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014Q1XX9S

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

The End posted:

Seconding Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. It's a wonderful game, no internet or LAN needed. Only one person needs to even have a computer. The rest should be crowded around a paper manual.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

If you're the traitor, just play it straight until you get 2 turns in a row, and then just unashamedly tank everything as hard as you can when that comes up.

I'm not. I'm really bored and have been messaging women on dating sites instead of paying any real attention.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

I know everyone hates cards against humanity, and I'm right there with you, but I ran across this article tonight. I don't know if it's legit or if there's more behind it, but at face value it seems like a good thing and a happy story to read during the holidays.

http://www.someecards.com/news/so-that-happened/cards-against-humanity-vacation/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Viper915 posted:

I know everyone hates cards against humanity, and I'm right there with you, but I ran across this article tonight. I don't know if it's legit or if there's more behind it, but at face value it seems like a good thing and a happy story to read during the holidays.

http://www.someecards.com/news/so-that-happened/cards-against-humanity-vacation/

I dont hate the player, I hate the game.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Wow that's awesome .

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"The printer didn't have any formal procedures for paid vacations".

lmao. Gonna repost this to china.jpg if it hasn't already.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Anybody got their hands on the 2nd edition of Stronghold? It's an Ignacy Trzewiczek game, so I'm eager to see some of his cool ideas reigned in by a proper developer.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Viper915 posted:

Wait, you're telling me the CAH team did another wacky surprise flash sale using their own website, nabbed 150,000 sales with it, and they still feel the need to use KS as the storefront for their next product?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Most controllable morale reduction effects such as waste, zombie deaths, or starvation, take place at end of round, while the second of your two turns takes place at the beginning of a round. If any other player gets a turn before the end of round then they can initiate a vote to exile you, which changes your win conditions. If you get to use your second turn, then you have probably lost.

It's a bad traitor game, but you're kicking a scapegoat. The design flaw is the power of the end of round traitor reveal, the two turns in a row is relevant only in that it coincides with it. It is relatively easy to fix the two turns in a row problem. The problem of the power of being the last to act is not easy to resolve.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Tippis posted:

Speaking of, they seem to have been largely overshadowed by the release of Legacy, but how are all the other expansions and off-shoots from (regular) Pandemic that have been released lately?

The Pandemic expansions are mostly good. They all add a little something to multiple aspects of the game in a nice modular fashion. The first expansion, On the Brink, adds some solid roles, new game modes (bioterrorist) and disease mutations, IIRC, as well as Petri dishes for storage. In the Lab adds probably the best gameplay add-on in the form of the Lab sideboard, which makes curing diseases slightly more complex than "match 5 colors", more new roles, and upgraded cure vial components. The latest one, State of Emergency, adds more new roles and another sideboard, but I haven't added this one to my shelf yet. The new mechanics don't seem that compelling, and a couple of the new roles are meant to ONLY be used with the new hinterlands sideboard.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

E: If you like bleak post-apocalyptic zombie games that have bare survival as the only (challenging) goal, where you begrudge every mouth that doesn't contribute to your survival, and you're constantly scrabbling for resources and every advantage you can get, it definitely evokes that feeling. It's definitely on the Ameritrash side, though.

Aside from zombies, you can get all of that from Robinson Crusoe, a much better game than Dead of Winter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Aside from zombies, you can get all of that from Robinson Crusoe, a much better game than Dead of Winter.

Robinson Crusoe is a poo poo game. That doesn't necessarily falsify your statement, but it should be pointed out.

I got my Crokinole set into use for the first time last night, playing four 100 point matches with a variety of people. Everyone liked it, one guy so much that he's asked me for the dimensions so he can get his woodworker father to make him a board. Crokinole is great, play Crokinole.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Orleans is finally in stock here. Is it worth the hype?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

lordsummerisle posted:

Orleans is finally in stock here. Is it worth the hype?

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: hell, yes.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: hell, yes.

How is it for people who are not mainly euro players?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

Robinson Crusoe is a poo poo game. That doesn't necessarily falsify your statement, but it should be pointed out.

Counterpoint: It's a great game, striking a balance between strategic challenge and thematic storytelling. The players are less restricted by their roles than in many other co-op games. The rulebook can be confusing and too complicated, but my friends have enjoyed it every time we've played.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The only thing it strikes a balance between is random nonsense and swingy bullshit. Ignacy Trzewiczek isn't anywhere near as bad as Isaac "The poo poo Peddler" Vega, but he's not a good designer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

lordsummerisle posted:

I couldn't say, because that describes nobody I know. It's quite an accessible game, though; simple mechanics, gradually escalating numbers of options and almost anything can help score you points so nothing seems useless.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

I couldn't say, because that describes nobody I know. It's quite an accessible game, though; simple mechanics, gradually escalating numbers of options and almost anything can help score you points so nothing seems useless.

So a giving euro (like Burgundy), not a punishing euro (like Dungeon Petz/Agricola)?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

lordsummerisle posted:

I rate it as the same complexity as CoB. My mom plays CoB, so I tend to think most people could handle Orleans. About the only information overload for a first time player is buying a building.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

CaptainRightful posted:

Counterpoint: It's a great game, striking a balance between strategic challenge and thematic storytelling. The players are less restricted by their roles than in many other co-op games. The rulebook can be confusing and too complicated, but my friends have enjoyed it every time we've played.

I like the game, but even I have to admit that sometimes the deck can be so stacked against you that you are wholly incapable of winning, which is more than a little lovely.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

lordsummerisle posted:

So a giving euro (like Burgundy), not a punishing euro (like Dungeon Petz/Agricola)?

There's very little punishment and you can prepare to avoid it. On the other hand, certain strategies can be slightly hobbled by the order in which events appear.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

lordsummerisle posted:

I introduced it to a friend who claims he doesn't like Euro games. He certainly doesn't care for Castles of Burgundy. Anyway, he liked Orleans a lot. It's also pretty easy to teach, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

medchem posted:

I introduced it to a friend who claims he doesn't like Euro games. He certainly doesn't care for Castles of Burgundy. Anyway, he liked Orleans a lot. It's also pretty easy to teach, btw.

Cool. I thought the game looked a bit bland, colourwise. But then I saw some people playing it and it really looked a lot more lush than the videos led me to believe.