Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This is the dumbest loving battle I've had in a hot minute lmao

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-305835487

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I didn't even know moltres got flame body

spinda is impressively weak

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

I thought you all might like to know that Pokémon Vega, a Japanese ROM hack of Fire Red, has received a full English translation which has just entered public beta. It's very much worth playing, mechanically resembles Gen 5 quite a bit more than Gen 3, and feels very much like its own game. The story is a sequel to Altair and Sirius, both hacks of Emerald intended to behave like a version pair; while there's a translation patch they're less polished overall and don't significantly alter the base game. (The Vega patch includes a plot synopsis so you're not missing out on anything by not playing them.)

I played this up to beating the first gym, and wow was that not fun at all. If you want to have a good time with this game do not pick the fire starter. The gym is bug, and the leader has two bug/rocks. A new one, and Shuckle. What this means is that if you picked fire, they have a type advantage on literally every pokemon you can get up until this point of the game (Taillow, a new ice-type Glachild, Pineco, Hoothoot, and Togepi) except for Togepi who just sucks generally. Fun loving times were had spamming defense curl up to +6 on the leader's first pokemon and hoping they would never crit me, and then dealing with the god drat shuckle afterwards. You'd think the shuckle wouldn't be a problem but ohh boy, you don't fuckle with this one. The moveset is Curse, Rock Tomb, Bulldoze and Deep Yawn (which is Yawn except it sleeps instantly). You can't buy awakenings at this point either, so what happens is you get slept, Shuckle curses himself up to respectable attack numbers, and you get owned eventually. I got past this one by using my Glachild, who has hail and charm, setting up hail on the one turn I was allowed to be awake and spamming potions and charm whenever I could. That really did not feel like an intended strategy. Oh and to do any of this I had to grind up my mons for 30 minutes on the laughably low-leveled previous route.

So uhh, if you're going to try this please pick water and steamroll past this gym because that was so not worth it. I still have hopes for this hack though because it is very impressive in all other aspects so far.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Amppelix posted:

I played this up to beating the first gym, and wow was that not fun at all. If you want to have a good time with this game do not pick the fire starter. The gym is bug, and the leader has two bug/rocks. A new one, and Shuckle. What this means is that if you picked fire, they have a type advantage on literally every pokemon you can get up until this point of the game (Taillow, a new ice-type Glachild, Pineco, Hoothoot, and Togepi) except for Togepi who just sucks generally. Fun loving times were had spamming defense curl up to +6 on the leader's first pokemon and hoping they would never crit me, and then dealing with the god drat shuckle afterwards. You'd think the shuckle wouldn't be a problem but ohh boy, you don't fuckle with this one. The moveset is Curse, Rock Tomb, Bulldoze and Deep Yawn (which is Yawn except it sleeps instantly). You can't buy awakenings at this point either, so what happens is you get slept, Shuckle curses himself up to respectable attack numbers, and you get owned eventually. I got past this one by using my Glachild, who has hail and charm, setting up hail on the one turn I was allowed to be awake and spamming potions and charm whenever I could. That really did not feel like an intended strategy. Oh and to do any of this I had to grind up my mons for 30 minutes on the laughably low-leveled previous route.

So uhh, if you're going to try this please pick water and steamroll past this gym because that was so not worth it. I still have hopes for this hack though because it is very impressive in all other aspects so far.

I haven't quite gotten to the first gym yet, but does it seem to you like the crit rate has been tweaked upwards? I was leveling my mons for like an hour on that first route and the amount of crits both I and my opponents were getting seemed suspiciously high...

(also yikes, thanks for the warning, here's hoping i can somehow get through with my grass starter :ohdear:)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Deep Yawn sounds like a really stupid move, considering how many sleep and sleep alone moves we already have.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sleep is also a really stupid status effect, and especially so in the actual game since there's no sleep clause or anything like that. Adding another way to induce it seems like a Bad Idea.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

Sleep is also a really stupid status effect, and especially so in the actual game since there's no sleep clause or anything like that.

In-game there's flutes that lift it, and you have so much money you can buy infinite Awakenings. So a clause is wholly unnecessary.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

About Deep Yawn, the real problem here was solely the nonavailability of awakenings. I don't mind getting another 100 acc sleep move that much, especially considering spore's distribution is nonexistent and this one's probably not going to be on many more pokemon either. In fact it's just the sort of tool Shuckle needs to actually do something.

Solovey posted:

I haven't quite gotten to the first gym yet, but does it seem to you like the crit rate has been tweaked upwards? I was leveling my mons for like an hour on that first route and the amount of crits both I and my opponents were getting seemed suspiciously high...

(also yikes, thanks for the warning, here's hoping i can somehow get through with my grass starter :ohdear:)

I don't think you'll have as much trouble as I had if you've already spent some time grinding, I try to avoid it whenever I can and the core pokemen are easy enough to allow that. I haven't felt anything wrong with the crit rate though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

less laughter posted:

In-game there's flutes that lift it, and you have so much money you can buy infinite Awakenings. So a clause is wholly unnecessary.

I meant inflicting it on the AI, since same-turn sleep effects are basically on-demand freezes. It's just really easy and boring.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok yes, I'm now at the second gym and can confirm the level balance in this hack is completely wack. The levels of the wild pokemon around here are 6-10. The gym trainers have up to level 15. That seems fair. Now try to extrapolate the level of the leader's ace.

It's level 24.

So yes, this is one of those hacks. If you want to play, prepare for The Grind. At least this time isn't as infuriating because now I actually have more than four mons to choose from and can actually deal super effective damage.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Yes, the level curve is the most obviously fanmade part of Vega—It's not Dark Rising-tier absurdity where it crashes into a wall around the fourth gym because the author realises they can't set the level to 255 as well as the base stats, but it's bracing by the main games' standards and the wilds don't really make the grind very easy. I think it speaks to the quality of the work that people like Vega in spite of that, though—it's very polished, and the diffculty comes from the authors having put a lot of thought into what it's possible to acquire up to that point. (They shy away from the most broken things in the game—no AI trainer ever uses Phantonate, for example.)

Amppelix posted:

I got past this one by using my Glachild, who has hail and charm, setting up hail on the one turn I was allowed to be awake and spamming potions and charm whenever I could. That really did not feel like an intended strategy.
“Intended” is as may be, but they definitely considered all possible options. The strategy guide page on the Japanese wiki explicitly calls out Glachild for its support moves. I agree with you Deep Yawn is probably a step too far, though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Freeze is super annoying in the new Mystery Dungeon because frozen enemies don't take damage, so you just have to wait around until they unfreeze. I might have to swap out Ice Beam at this rate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Crosscontaminant posted:

Yes, the level curve is the most obviously fanmade part of Vega

I didn't know the Johto games were fan-made.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

I think it speaks to the quality of the work that people like Vega in spite of that, though

Yeah this is me right now. I like the world and the new mons enough that I want to see more of them even if it require frequent trips to the emulator speed up button and watching some videos while I "play" the game.

It's always a great feeling when you run into a mon that you have to capture just to find out what it even is and what it can do in battle.

I really wouldn't mind getting the gen 6 exp system though. That would ease all my problems because I really wanna raise all these cool new pokemon but the game kinda wants you to just carry a core 6.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I didn't know the Johto games were fan-made.

It's dangerous to be a fan of your own work.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Well, I give up on Vega. I only won the last few gym battles through abuse of save states to make my opponents be frozen through most of the battles, because otherwise all of my pokemon would die in a single hit.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

YggiDee posted:

Freeze is super annoying in the new Mystery Dungeon because frozen enemies don't take damage, so you just have to wait around until they unfreeze. I might have to swap out Ice Beam at this rate.

If you use a fire move they unfreeze instantly and take damage.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Where can you find non-starter water Pokemon in Vega?

I'm at the part where you get surf, but I haven't found any water pokemon or even just non-water pokemon that can learn surf. Did I just miss them or something?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Where can you find non-starter water Pokemon in Vega?

I'm at the part where you get surf, but I haven't found any water pokemon or even just non-water pokemon that can learn surf. Did I just miss them or something?

Knowing this hack, I'm going to guess you missed either the old rod, or the single pokemon somewhere that can learn surf despite not being water.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Amppelix posted:

Knowing this hack, I'm going to guess you missed either the old rod, or the single pokemon somewhere that can learn surf despite not being water.

In that case does anyone know where the old rod is?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's one more, uhh, selling point (?) for Pokemon Vega:

That thing from the intro is a real pokemon that my Pikachu evolved into immediately after evolving from Pichu. It's elec/fight type, its attack is sky high and its ability is Cute Charm, naturally.

Regrettably, I had to load a save and cancel though because my Pikachu's already set up to be a Nasty Plot sweeper and I want my Raichu, dammit.

Edit: Oh by the way, I found an answer to the surf problem. In the building where you get surf, an old man will trade you a Spheal for your Baizeast, which are a rare catch in the haunted mansion.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 18, 2015

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Amppelix posted:

It's always a great feeling when you run into a mon that you have to capture just to find out what it even is and what it can do in battle.

This is me playing pokemon white for the first time right now. It's so fun being a casual.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Amppelix posted:

Edit: Oh by the way, I found an answer to the surf problem. In the building where you get surf, an old man will trade you a Spheal for your Baizeast, which are a rare catch in the haunted mansion.

Thank you! I gotta say, this game is kind of bullshit with it's puzzles. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but the game has been freezing a lot on the dock near the first water route. So make sure you save before you try surfing or you might end up losing an hours worth of grinding like me...

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Yes, the song "Water Labyrinth" crashes the game on looping. There's an updated patch on the link I posted which fixes that. (There's also one trainer who doesn't talk to you after you beat them when they should—that's also been fixed.)

Amppelix posted:

That thing from the intro is a real pokemon that my Pikachu evolved into immediately after evolving from Pichu. It's elec/fight type, its attack is sky high and its ability is Cute Charm, naturally.
Just don't let it go anywhere near a special attack - its base defense is 40. It's the anti-Gardevoir.

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 18, 2015

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Ruggington posted:

spinda is impressively weak

Spinda can't access Superpower in Gen 6, so it's even weaker now for some reason.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i just looked at the vega pokedex and there's a baby heatran omg

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Just so y'all know, there was another version bump—we forgot about the rematch table, so strange things happened like rematching a random trainer on route 519 and getting a gym leader rematch team at level 100 instead.

I am severely overegging the pudding by saying “we” since the extent of my contribution was one move name (and another which didn't get accepted despite three different people suggesting it as a way to avoid yet another name jammed into the length limit by removing a space) but it was enough to get me in the credits so I'll roll with it.

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 19, 2015

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Is anyone planning on doing a Christmas Wonder Trade giveaway? I was thinking of breeding up a box or two of Delibirds and trading them holding a bunch of Lumiose Galettes or something.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nth Doctor posted:

Is anyone planning on doing a Christmas Wonder Trade giveaway? I was thinking of breeding up a box or two of Delibirds and trading them holding a bunch of Lumiose Galettes or something.

Winter Sawsbuck would be nice as well. Possibly Sceptiles holding mega stones, but that doesn't seem likely without some item duping.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Geostomp posted:

Sceptiles holding mega stones

Agreed. Mega Sceptile is the canonical Christmas Tree Pokémon

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
For the second time, I have discovered Clefable can't re-learn Moonblast if you get rid of it for something stupid like Gravity which did not turn out to be a good doubles strat, except for when in the presence of Rotom. Balls.

Imo if you're putting effort into breeding a bunch of Pokeymans for X-mas, make 'em mons that don't suck out loud like Delibird. Hey what about winter Deerlings nicknamed as Santa's reindeer? That's cute, maybe I'll do up a few of those.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

less laughter posted:

Agreed. Mega Sceptile is the canonical Christmas Tree Pokémon

Snover works too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

delibird makes sense if you give it something really cool/rare as a hold item, like a lucky egg or w/e

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
There's no way to just spoof mons up with rare items and inject 'em into the game anymore is there? Cause yeah, high-value poo poo like Comet Shard would be cool. Back when that injection program worked with 3ds I made up a guy holding a Relic Crown, but nobody in gen 6 knows what to do with that one. Too bad. Woulda been a great get-rich-quick scheme in Hoenn. Not like anyone playing in Kalos has a chance at hurting for cash.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Geostomp posted:

Snover works too.

I did Snovers last year and ended up getting a shiny out of it. So this year I had a Mega Abomasnow team for the Festive Feud tournament, which was fun.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i'm not entirely sure how this whole rescuing stuff works but wowie

it would sure be coolio if i could be rescued from distress mountain's 21st floor and not lose 21 floors of progress towards defeating darkrai

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

I was going to do about 300 eevee with a bunch of egg moves and lum berries but I've only gotten about 5 boxes since I got distracted by finally "finishing" my living dex.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Has there been a Hoopa event announced for Australia? Did I miss it? :ohdear:

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

alcharagia posted:

i'm not entirely sure how this whole rescuing stuff works but wowie

(QR Code)

it would sure be coolio if i could be rescued from distress mountain's 21st floor and not lose 21 floors of progress towards defeating darkrai

I'll start on this run if you haven't given up or done self-rescue yet. It gave me an excuse to run it in my file, anyway, since I hadn't gone there previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AccountingNightmare posted:

Has there been a Hoopa event announced for Australia? Did I miss it? :ohdear:

There was one for the European PAL regions but I don't see one for Australia yet.

• Locked thread