Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dongattack posted:

How do you find minerals and whatever that the SRV can interact with on planets? Just drive around aimlessly or is there more to it?

Use the Wave Scanner, as the scanner travels left to right across the HUD you will hear a noise and see a bright line in the general direction of where the thing is. As you get closer the tone will change and the line will get shorter and more defined as to where the thing is. It doesn't define distance so you still need to use the Mark I Eyeball and your regular scanner to help pinpoint the thing you are looking for, but it will get you close enough that those things will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Amethyst posted:

I have a basic discovery scanner and have flown around all of the gas giants, and found nothing. do I just need to upgrade my scanner?

Yes, and just pray the planet isn't a couple hours of real time in supercruise away from your entry-sun. :v:

Or if you're really feeling hardcore, use real astronomy to find the missing planets. Disclaimer: If your missing planet is really, really far away, you may never find it without an advanced scanner. (See above)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'll giver Frontier credit, they've made smaller ships compelling again. I've had a blast in a Cobra MkIII zipping through canyons and landing in places that would be a pain in the rear end in anything bigger.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I got pretty close to this black hole.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Whats a good upgrade from a Viper 3. Budget about 4m.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I'm loading this back up after falling off in interest when they released Powerplay. I'm getting back up to speed, and it like I'm right on the cusp of being able to afford and kit out a python. Is Big Harrys still the official goon hangout or did we move on? I did buy horizons, is there decent money to be made on surface excavations?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

cheesetriangles posted:

Whats a good upgrade from a Viper 3. Budget about 4m.

Viper 4 is really good, alternately try a Cobra 3 or save up another 1.5m and get a basic Vulture.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TomR posted:

I got pretty close to this black hole.

Is that a black hole practically right next to a sun, how does that even work :psyduck:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
The Elite bug has bitten me and now I'm looking at head tracking solutions. Edtracker seems like a good low-cost option, right? 3DOF vs 6DOF not a big deal?

Madeofbees
May 20, 2006
Today's ingedient is BEES!
The wave scanner is something you learn to use well with practice, as much of it is identifying the space noises it emits for different objects. In addition, the patterns on your scan are all distinct. As a rule of thumb, bright returns on the bottom of the scan bar are heavier elements like rocky meteorites. A brighter, focused line at the bottom is a more dense object like the rarer metallic meteorites. A return with values all the way up and down the scale is an object composed of heavy and light elements like wrecks, cargo cans and your ship.

If you're out hunting materials, you can use the patterns to avoid the Bronzite Chondrites (common, diffuse line at the bottom), and seek out the Mesosiderites (uncommon, focused line at the bottom) and Metallic Meteorites (rare, two focused lines at the bottom). There's also Outcrops on planets that aren't icy bodies, but I don't know about those since powersliding around while doing geology is the stuff. It looks like each planet also has it's own set of materials on offer, so you'll have to jump around to collect 'em all.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Is that a black hole practically right next to a sun, how does that even work :psyduck:

Well it should look something like this:

http://www.askamathematician.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/black-hole-star-accretion.jpg

but I guess we can cut Frontier some slack for not considering these edge cases.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Ciaphas posted:

A black hole has no more or less gravity pull beyond its event horizon than any other object of equivalant mass, and will orbit stuff the same way as a visible body. It's just that all the mass is in a very small volume, and *really* dense.

Also 'right next to' in space is still a loving long way away, and gravity is a very weak force compared to all the other fundamental forces, plus its attractive power decreases in proportion to the square of distance, so you can get quite close to one in astronomical terms.

Although 30,000 Km is super close in those terms, so it's probably a very small one.

All the above is qualified by my knowing just enough :science: to know I'm probably wrong about something though...

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
IIRC the pull of a black hole is the equivalent of its original mass, so it's not like itd be any stronger than a normal star.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

xiansi posted:

A black hole has no more or less gravity pull beyond its event horizon than any other object of equivalant mass, and will orbit stuff the same way as a visible body. It's just that all the mass is in a very small volume, and *really* dense.

Also 'right next to' in space is still a loving long way away, and gravity is a very weak force compared to all the other fundamental forces, plus its attractive power decreases in proportion to the square of distance, so you can get quite close to one in astronomical terms.

Although 30,000 Km is super close in those terms, so it's probably a very small one.

All the above is qualified by my knowing just enough :science: to know I'm probably wrong about something though...

edit:

Oh, right, it's 30Km! That's...close. Can a black hole be that small? I have no idea.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

xiansi posted:

edit:

Oh, right, it's 30Km! That's...close. Can a black hole be that small? I have no idea.

They can exist as basically any size. It's just matter that got too dense.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Space is a weird and pretty place.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

tofes posted:

The Elite bug has bitten me and now I'm looking at head tracking solutions. Edtracker seems like a good low-cost option, right? 3DOF vs 6DOF not a big deal?

Pitch and yaw are basically all that matters for head tracking in ED, so 3DOF will be fine. 6DOF is more something that's good in plane sims where sometimes you want to look up over the nose or press against the window to get a better angle on something.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The black hole was 2.8 solar masses. Not very big. I dropped out and got to 25km from it.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Where is the closest black hole to the bubble? I need to try something...

...for science.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think its Maia in the pleiades cluster?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I find the idea of being within like a billion KM of a black hole absurdly loving frightening. I still freak out a little after warps in ED and the star suddenly approaches at speed, especially when it's like a white dwarf or whatever those small bright white powerfully hot ones are.

gently caress those things, god drat

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think its Maia in the pleiades cluster?

HIP 63835 is relatively close as well and has 3 black holes :o

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Is there a trick to getting weak signal sources to spawn? The Feds want me to grab an ancient artifact and from browsing around it seems they often spawn in the weak signal sources.

So far I've only seen two, and I chose the wrong one. Not seen once since.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a trick to getting weak signal sources to spawn? The Feds want me to grab an ancient artifact and from browsing around it seems they often spawn in the weak signal sources.

So far I've only seen two, and I chose the wrong one. Not seen once since.

Fly around supercruise at minimum speed and twiddle your thumbs until one spawns. Doing this at minimum speed will make them spawn very close to you and you won't have to do the usual supercruise extended slowdown bit to drop on them. Also don't take missions like that because they are boring RNGfests.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Where is the closest black hole to the bubble? I need to try something...

...for science.

I got you:

Rah! posted:

HIP 34707 has a black hole, is only 189 light years from Sol, and has inhabited systems right next door. HIP 63835 is also closer than Maia, and it has :frogsiren: three black holes :frogsiren:. But Maia is pretty close too, and is extra cool because it's in a sexy nebula.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You're straight hosed if your FSD gets shot out, aren't you?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Arrath posted:

You're straight hosed if your FSD gets shot out, aren't you?

You can try the reboot & repair option on the function menu on the right panel.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Space Skeleton posted:

You can try the reboot & repair option on the function menu on the right panel.

Yeah that worked, bumped it from 0 to 1%. Enough for me to limp home which is much preferable to suiciding out of these bounties.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shine posted:

Fly around supercruise at minimum speed and twiddle your thumbs until one spawns. Doing this at minimum speed will make them spawn very close to you and you won't have to do the usual supercruise extended slowdown bit to drop on them. Also don't take missions like that because they are boring RNGfests.

It was the only one for the rank up mission thing :( At least it was a close one, the other rank up mission was a "go get us stuff" one, only 350LY away. :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm running two C2 cannons and two C1 beams on my Cobra. It sounds like space shotguns are good now though, would I get more damage with them in place of the cannons?

Followup: how the heck do the damage numbers work in the coriolis ship builder? Is it Hull Damage (Shield Damage)?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

I'm running two C2 cannons and two C1 beams on my Cobra. It sounds like space shotguns are good now though, would I get more damage with them in place of the cannons?

Followup: how the heck do the damage numbers work in the coriolis ship builder? Is it Hull Damage (Shield Damage)?

Space shotguns own own own.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
You'll still burn through the ammo for fewer kills than you would with cannons, but the damage output is phenomenal if you're in a fast and agile ship that can hug butts. I think the FAS is the best ship for using them, since it can easily power two medium beams for stripping shields, and the two large slots are lined up vertically so you just aim along the target spine and unload. You can kill a ship as heavily armored as a Dropship with about 18 shots, so 3 reloads on a dual shotgun FAS.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
I hit Chief Petty Officer, so it's FAS time :getin:

Is $27 million enough to buy one at $19 million and have enough to decently kit it out for PvE bounty blasting?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I guess it's kind of a moot point because Elite has become dangerously unstable on my system. The latest crash I got left my system with a scrambled screen that persisted through several reboots leaving me terrified I fried my graphics card and/or computer as a whole. I'll probably be playing something else for a while.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Cowcaster posted:

I guess it's kind of a moot point because Elite has become dangerously unstable on my system. The latest crash I got left my system with a scrambled screen that persisted through several reboots leaving me terrified I fried my graphics card and/or computer as a whole. I'll probably be playing something else for a while.

it sounds like that's exactly what you did. Same thing happened to me with WoT back in the day.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

YellerBill posted:

Yeah the HazRESes in Xihe are the closest RESes to the star, close enough that if you hang out near them in supercruise you stand a good chance of overheating. In realspace it's not as hot but most ships still sit at 50~55% heat when there. The plus side to this is that it makes a great place to hone your heat management skills, as well as making it easier to spot NPCs because they all have larger heat signatures there.

Ahhh so this is why I felt like I needed a heat sink last night. I didn't realize this, actually I almost forgot that that was a star at all rather than a gas giant.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sard posted:

You'll still burn through the ammo for fewer kills than you would with cannons, but the damage output is phenomenal if you're in a fast and agile ship that can hug butts. I think the FAS is the best ship for using them, since it can easily power two medium beams for stripping shields, and the two large slots are lined up vertically so you just aim along the target spine and unload. You can kill a ship as heavily armored as a Dropship with about 18 shots, so 3 reloads on a dual shotgun FAS.

Yeah I love them space shotguns. I am actually spending time planetside to scrounge up materials for 4-5 reloads, but it takes forever.. I hope I can buy them from some korean materials farmer or whatever

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
New patch is out:

quote:

- Crash fix for following crafting sub-menu access from modular menu
- Crash fix for skimmer firing
- Fix crash from NPC messenger
- Fix crash with missing asteroid physics
- Fix an audio crash near planetary ports or when deploying SRV's
- Fix an error when resurrecting a dead commander with an alive vehicle
- Don't overwrite the plotted route in the galaxy map if opening the system map
- Fix an issue where the planned route could be wiped after a hyperjump
- Fix module buyback not correctly preserving full details of the module being restored
- Stop disconnecting players with a transaction server error when failing to eject cargo
- Ship spins very fast after launch and is destroyed fixed
- Make POI's that were supposed to be visible from the ship be visible
- Cargo racks at POI's do not spawn loot
- Add planetary checks to "don't die" missions
- Add missing timers for off base planetary missions
- Extract mission destinations for mission external panel entries so mission icon shows up on galaxy map
- Off set Wing members drop outs to avoid collisions
- Apply cargo transfer to cached ship state so it won't forget our cargo changes when we dismiss/recall our ship
- Fixed stolen flag being sent incorrectly in cargo transfer and boarding
- Fix for incorrect landing volumes on Diamondback Scout
- Fixed some missing paint job references
- Don't set the near planet flag on saves for platforms that don't support Horizons
- Don't generate rocks when in a glide
- Fix for floating rocks after switching vehicle types
- Select correct GPU if an nVidia Optimus is installed
- Minor surface shader optimization
- Balance tweak for GPU timings on min spec AMD cards
- Changed the way we find the gpu version to match the way we select the graphics adapter. We now the first non-Intel card instead of the last card
- Unable to accept CQC squad invite with mouse, can only use controller to select it
- Added the user's time played to the Commander statistics screen
- Fix missing black paint job for Viper MkIV
- Various text fixes
- Latest translation batch added

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

For one goon the flip out during dock off an blow yourself horribly fix came a tad bit too late.

Where is empire space? I want to start grinding their rep because I like how their ships look. Also I like how the blue hair anime girl looks, I will pledge my undying support for her blue hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cao Ni Ma posted:

For one goon the flip out during dock off an blow yourself horribly fix came a tad bit too late.

Where is empire space? I want to start grinding their rep because I like how their ships look. Also I like how the blue hair anime girl looks, I will pledge my undying support for her blue hair.

Just check blue hair's "base of operations" system, and go hang around that vicinity. All Empire, all the time, pretty much. Remember to only do missions that have a little "empire" symbol on the bulletin board.

I spend a lot of time on the Empire/Federation border so I can either focus on either one, or just kind of alternate depending on where I landed from the last mission.

• Locked thread