Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

hobbesmaster posted:

Apparently the ASh-62 powers some DHC-3s, PT6A conversion kits exist for the DHC-3....

I don't think the transitive property works for aircraft engines though.

edit: specific fuel consumption of .77 lbs/shp*h vs a PT6B-36A's .581 lbs/shp*h :lol:

The Otter I posted a couple pages back that had a Cessna 185 strung to the floats was powered by an ASh-62.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
One of the 290 fires in my state today was a grassfire in a fringe suburb this morning, 'Elvis' was on hand:

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/8713-man-arrested-following-grass-fire-at-epping.html

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 19, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

D C posted:

Speaking of the AN2. There was 2 making daily supply runs to the airport in Canaima Venezuela (near Angel Falls).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6mstG5OqcE

There are many clips of warbirds that go "omg listen to the sound" but often they are stationary runups and sound pretty much like a 50s Cadillac with a rusty exhaust. But this, a good mic, the forest, the doppler effect...this was a radial goddamn symphony. Subtle, beautiful. In 15 years we are flying hydrogen magic atomics, jet fuel is the forgotten CD but this will always be the glorious vinyl.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I dunno -- Cadillac with a rusty exhaust or not, the M-62 is a pretty awesome engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_xVtcG5Dc&t=170s

(inertial starters are the coolest way of starting an engine, too)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I dunno -- Cadillac with a rusty exhaust or not, the M-62 is a pretty awesome engine

I think my point stands, that motor running sounds stressed and not at home, it's loud and unloaded. But you are absolutely right about inertial starting, there is no motor starting spectacle like it. Anyone who's played IL-2 Sturmovik knows the "I" engine start noise where there is an instant descending note before the exhaust splutters to life, as if every single aircraft had an inertial starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zXkVQnVmuo

The only starting technique that can compete is the gun powder cartridge start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9fkmqPHTDE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ola posted:

The only starting technique that can compete is the gun powder cartridge start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65qrzgbTTcQ

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y1Emb7Jyks

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I always hear the Millennium Falcon failing in Empire Strikes Back.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Ola posted:

I think my point stands, that motor running sounds stressed and not at home, it's loud and unloaded. But you are absolutely right about inertial starting, there is no motor starting spectacle like it. Anyone who's played IL-2 Sturmovik knows the "I" engine start noise where there is an instant descending note before the exhaust splutters to life, as if every single aircraft had an inertial starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zXkVQnVmuo

That's also the sound they used for the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive failure. I love that sound.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Kenya says explosive device found in toilets of plane carrying 473 people from Mauritius to Paris

quote:

Up to six passengers were being questioned Sunday after an Air France flight made an emergency landing Kenya when a "suspected explosive device" was found in a bathroom.

The Boeing 777, carrying 459 passengers and 14 crew members from the holiday island of Mauritius to Paris, diverted to Mombasa according to airport and airline officials.

Pictures from the scene showed that at least one emergency evacuation slide was inflated after the landing.

Flight AF463 landed safely at 00:36 a.m. Sunday local time (5:36 p.m. Saturday ET), the airline said.

"The object, believed to be an explosive device, has successfully been retrieved from the aircraft which was destined to Paris," Kenya Airport said in a statement.

Six passengers, including the man who reported to the item, were being questions, a Kenyan police source told The Associated Press.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Just an FYI to my Drone Users who are eager to register - I didn't see this come up yet. Have fun having your information public like the rest of us pilots!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/12/18/faa-finally-admits-names-and-home-addresses-in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/

quote:

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public. In an email message, the FAA stated: “Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of whether names and home addresses of model aircraft or hobby drone owners – including children as young as 13 – will be made available by the FAA to the public once the FAA’s new unmanned aircraft registry goes live on Monday. It seems a simple enough question. But it took a while to get a straight answer.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

apollo you are what's wrong with ga pilots

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh poo poo, please tell me this is as fun as it looks

http://store.steampowered.com/app/397340/

https://youtu.be/96tHZIeD2gg

Party Plane Jones posted:

Kenya says explosive device found in toilets of plane carrying 473 people from Mauritius to Paris
Supposedly it was nothing (cardboard and a clock) but that's enough to make life miserable for a lot of people.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The bomb was apparently a fake.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-35144471

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I got to say, the honest to god meltdowns people are having over their toys being subjected to the slightest regulation is pretty hilarious :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Probably due to suffering through a high density 777 configuration. 3-4-3 should be criminal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I got to say, the honest to god meltdowns people are having over their toys being subjected to the slightest regulation is pretty hilarious :allears:

It seems kind of hosed up that my kid's name and address should become public information because of a $50 present from Toys-R-Us. Especially when the regulation in question is explicitly NOT what they were authorized to do.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Godholio posted:

It seems kind of hosed up that my kid's name and address should become public information because of a $50 present from Toys-R-Us. Especially when the regulation in question is explicitly NOT what they were authorized to do.

Thank you - I know I come across as extremely combative and my content gets lost in my presentation of the information.

For the record, I'm not an ultra-libertarian privacy gun nut in real life. BUT, when it comes to the federal government starting regulations that they haven't really thought out, I would MUCH prefer to tell them no at the beginning so they can get their stuff straight, than battle them 20 years after the fact when they're entrenched.

How many of these people registering their drones are being told by the FAA what the implications are for registering? How long will drone users be apart of this database? Once it goes into the internet, aggregating websites will never let it 'expire.' It will always be hosted on differing websites.

This rule they came up with really presents a lot more problems than solutions, in my opinion.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 20, 2015

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Captain Apollo posted:

Just an FYI to my Drone Users who are eager to register - I didn't see this come up yet. Have fun having your information public like the rest of us pilots!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2015/12/18/faa-finally-admits-names-and-home-addresses-in-drone-registry-will-be-publicly-available/
The Academy of Model Aeronautics, the largest organization in the world representing model aviation, recommended for everyone to hold off on registering with the FAA until some issues are resolved:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/2015/12/17/hold-off-on-registering-model-aircraft/

quote:

As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA’s legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.

Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.

In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA’s interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.

I was totally ready to register myself until they announced that the list would be publicly searchable. Yeah right I'm gonna give my address to the people here in this thread randomly accusing drone flyers as perverts and hicks out there using firearms against drones.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

How is that any different than the existing, publicly-searchable databases for both aircrew licenses and aircraft?

Grow the gently caress up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrChips posted:

How is that any different than the existing, publicly-searchable databases for both aircrew licenses and aircraft?

Godholio posted:

What's your take on making drivers licenses and vehicle registrations public?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

MrChips posted:

Are you literally retarded? It's a $50 toy, not a $250k toy or a professional certification.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Out of curiosity how are they going to enforce this? I mean it would be like have rc car owners get license and registration. How would anyone ever enforce that?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Valt posted:

Out of curiosity how are they going to enforce this? I mean it would be like have rc car owners get license and registration. How would anyone ever enforce that?
Presumably the way they enforce everything else, spot checks for those operating at/near airfields (like RC guys often do with bigger stuff) and as part of mishap investigations once those inevitably occur.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

MrChips posted:

There will be 13 year old kids listed?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrChips posted:

Chips - You're a smart guy. You have great knowledge on aviation. You're also Canadian.

I, for one, don't like publicly searchable databases. Just as England weirds me straight the gently caress out with their network of CCTVs, I get weirded out when the feds have a public database of us individuals that should have our papers in order, Komrade.

I have gone to lengths to remove to public information from the FAA database to the extent it's allowed. I also really wish I had registered my airplane in an LLC in a different state to separate the tail number from me personally.

When I was renting airplanes I LOVED posting tail numbers and links to flightaware. Now? I would rather have my fingernails forced off than have Johnny Public be able to google information that I don't willingly put out there. As I've gotten older (bought an airplane and paid taxes and am liable for my stuff), the idea that I can be tracked when I travel to places makes me feel like my freedom to travel is being sorely limited.

Not to mention how terrible the news media is regarding general aviation.

I think in Canada and Europe there isn't this maliciousness associated with the idea of tracking private flights. But, I think it sucks in the US and another reason the ADS-B mandate is encountering so much resistance. Look at how much trouble Lebron James or Steve Jobs had going to places because somebody tracked their flights...... It's...weird, and I think it goes too far.

I'm not doing this to 'lose the feds,' I'm doing this because I don't want the general public knowing where I am going or what I'm doing. In the end, I think those that register their drones will notice that they are now part of a broad fed database they didn't really want to be in, but didn't understand what they were signing up for at the time of this "fee waiving registration event."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

I get weirded out when the feds have a public database of us individuals that should have our papers in order, Komrade.

I have gone to lengths to remove to public information from the FAA database to the extent it's allowed. I also really wish I had registered my airplane in an LLC in a different state to separate the tail number from me personally.

I would rather have my fingernails forced off than have Johnny Public be able to google information that I don't willingly put out there.

the idea that I can be tracked when I travel to places makes me feel like my freedom to travel is being sorely limited.

So, the publicly-accessible database of Brookstone quadcopter operators is stupid, yes, but you're also some kind of insane paranoid libertarian. Gotcha.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As an amateur radio operator, my contact information is publicly listed in the FCC's database. I don't know if there are any special practices in place for children, but I've never heard of anything so I assume the same is true for them.

I don't see the public database aspect of this as being particularly bad when a "drone" can, if operated by an idiot, cause much more immediate harm than almost anything I could do with a radio.

I'm not in any way saying I support the specifics of the entire regulation we're discussing here, but the public info part seems like the least concerning of the potential issues.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

wolrah posted:

I don't see the public database aspect of this as being particularly bad when a "drone" can, if operated by an idiot, cause much more immediate harm than almost anything I could do with a radio.
Motor vehicles are not in a public database, and those can and do cause much more immediate harm than drones that are within the scope of this regulation.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Captain Apollo posted:

Chips - You're a smart guy. You have great knowledge on aviation. You're also Canadian.

Canada also has "The Privacy Act" which would explicitly forbid something like this happening.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'm broadly with Apollo on this one, We have a similar reg search ability in the UK and it just opens the doors to people you may not want knowing where you live and when you're out. I see the arguments for being able to track a misused item back to an individual. but being able to search based on a picture / sighting and finding someones home address I'm not particularly comfortable with.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

slidebite posted:

Canada also has "The Privacy Act" which would explicitly forbid something like this happening.

Well there's your problem right there. You guys have sensible legislation.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It's really a cultural oddity. In places with federal databases, nobody really gives a poo poo. But since the US is full of paranoid nutjobs with guns, you fly your drone over the wrong ranch and Mr. Git-offa-mah-propertay might pay you a visit with his shotgun. This isn't a genuine concern in other countries.
On a bit of a tangent, I never understood the resistance to government databases coupled with the utter blasé attitude toward private company databases. Visa knows far more about you and your habits than the government ever will. Same with your insurance company. The fact that people trust private for profit companies with their personal information with no oversight over a government entity that must follow strict regulations is strange. I guess it's not strictly this black and white, but either go off grid entirely or don't worry about it and buy your drugs with cash.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I may be misremembering, but didn't that one guy in the video say that you don't have to have a registration number that's visible from the ground. That basically you just needed a number somewhere on the aircraft that's unlikely to become separated in a crash so they can identify the drone if you do something stupid like crash land it at an airport? Like the guy was showing he had these huge numbers, but they were on the top of the drone, and wouldn't be visible to anyone on the ground anyways. So the fear of being reverse looked up by a photograph seems unlikely; unless gun-tooting redneck actually shoots down the drone and collects the scrap.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

MrChips posted:

Because it's not a plane, it's a thing you buy for pocket change at a kiosk in the mall. And why is having a publicly searchable listing of GA pilots a good idea in itself?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

YF19pilot posted:

I may be misremembering, but didn't that one guy in the video say that you don't have to have a registration number that's visible from the ground. That basically you just needed a number somewhere on the aircraft that's unlikely to become separated in a crash so they can identify the drone if you do something stupid like crash land it at an airport? Like the guy was showing he had these huge numbers, but they were on the top of the drone, and wouldn't be visible to anyone on the ground anyways. So the fear of being reverse looked up by a photograph seems unlikely; unless gun-tooting redneck actually shoots down the drone and collects the scrap.

Unless the photograph is flying another drone!!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

standard.deviant posted:

Motor vehicles are not in a public database, and those can and do cause much more immediate harm than drones that are within the scope of this regulation.

Surprise surprise, government regulatory logic is often contradictory and doesn't apply similarly in different areas. I'm pointing out that there's already decades of precedent for government registration with public records for activities that could impact others, and even kids are included.

Considering the size and often distance involved with personal-use "drones" means any registration numbers will act more like a VIN than a license plate (as in only readable when you're basically on top of the thing) I'm still not seeing the problem. If you don't crash in to something or literally hand it to someone, they won't be able to see the number.

I'll disclaim my own opinion by pointing out that if my vanity plate wasn't accepted I was going to get my radio callsign, so for purposes of this discussion I was literally going to go out of my way and spend extra money to associate my car with an identifier that's already available in a public database. Judge my sanity as you will.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Cat Mattress posted:

Unless the photograph is flying another drone!!

I know this is a joke, but I realized I forgot to mention that while old beardy had the huge numbers on his drone, he did specifically state that you didn't have to have huge numbers printed or placed in a manner that was externally visible, and mentioned that placing the numbers inside the door to the battery compartment was legally okay. Basically:

wolrah posted:

...any registration numbers will act more like a VIN than a license plate (as in only readable when you're basically on topin possession of the thing)...If you don't crash in to something or literally hand it to someone, they won't be able to see the number.

Now, of course, there are still some creepy-stalker issues that could arise, but the creep either has to physically handle/see the drone, or otherwise do an alphabet attack, or whatever it's called, to mine the database for addresses and names.

Otherwise I'm now picturing a drone dog-fight where two drones are jockeying for position to "shoot" each other's reg numbers.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
When it comes to stuff that is out there to interfere with GA, and CA, there just aren't that many of them. The quads that are a problem, are the ones sold by DJI. DJI is a 10 million dollar company. A quadcopter setup from them is on the order of $1500. That gives a maximum of about 6700 DJI quadcopters on the market.

Lets assume DYS, Cheeson, hubsan, horizon hobby, etc.. are together as big as DJI. There ~might~ be 13,000 quadcopters with the ability to do things that really give pilots hives. Unlike real airplanes, these things have a 7-25 minute flight time, and the batteries take hours to charge. Also, people crash them. A lot. They're also expensive, so people tend to not like to put them in places that might get them hurt. (Unlike my quads, where props are $1 each, a DJI prop is $10.)

Lets say 5% of that 13,000 is a potential problem. Your panties are in a bunch over 650 quadcopters... Worldwide.

The "500,000" number you'r hearing bandied about includes the $20 cheerson CX-10, the $150 Estes ProtoX, the Hubsan 105, and 107 series, .... all stuff that won't get registered anyway. The VAST majority of the "drone" market is aircraft to small, and with to short of a flight time, to be a problem. Ranges of tens, maybe hundreds of feet, flight times of five, maybe ten minutes.

wolrah posted:

As an amateur radio operator, my contact information is publicly listed in the FCC's database. I don't know if there are any special practices in place for children, but I've never heard of anything so I assume the same is true for them.

I found this out yesterday I think. I'm about to go cancel my HAM license. And license numbers are sequential, and regional. I can take a guess, and find someones address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nerobro posted:

I found this out yesterday I think. I'm about to go cancel my HAM license. And license numbers are sequential, and regional. I can take a guess, and find someones address.

Two for two!