Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Iron Blooded Orphans: Harems, Racism, and The Crushing Brutality Of War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The greatest thing about this episode was Mika going back to using the mace as a primary weapon because he realised that using a katana to fight giant robot suits made of metal is super dumb.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Stay in school until you are crushed to death by a heavy blunt object!

Ah, but that's the point. Education gives them career options that don't involve getting crushed by heavy blunt objects. It's one of Kudelia's most important contributions at present.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shakugan posted:

The greatest thing about this episode was Mika going back to using the mace as a primary weapon because he realised that using a katana to fight giant robot suits made of metal is super dumb.
Except he then ditched the mace after about 2 minutes and went back to the sword (and the preview shows Mika continuing to use the sword).

Stop letting the model kit department dictate your weapons loadout, Mika! :mad:

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I'm surprised nameless Tekkadan kids are actually dying in this boarding attempt. They should have just sent the ninja jesus team that boarded the Hammerhead and got to the bridge with zero casualties on either side.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xy Hapu posted:

I'm surprised nameless Tekkadan kids are actually dying in this boarding attempt. They should have just sent the ninja jesus team that boarded the Hammerhead and got to the bridge with zero casualties on either side.

Bear in mind that the Turbines were intentionally going easy on them, though. Even if Lafter did get a little carried away.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Did they really? I don't remember any mention of that. At any rate I'd imagine those plans went out the window once armed kids boarded and filled the ship full of their babies with explodey gas.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Turbines kind of rapidly de-committed from that engagement as the CGS dude ran his mouth and painted them a picture of the kids they were fighting against.

EDIT: And even then, they seem to start it off mostly with the intentions of giving Tekkadan a reality check thinking they're just some arrogant kids. Even if, as mentioned, Lafter did get carried away.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 21, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love how he just floats there
staring at it.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

AradoBalanga posted:

Except he then ditched the mace after about 2 minutes and went back to the sword (and the preview shows Mika continuing to use the sword).

Stop letting the model kit department dictate your weapons loadout, Mika! :mad:
To be fair, it was kind of stuck in another Mobile Suit's torso. Getting weapons unstuck from corpses generally isn't a thing you have time for during a fight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of factors why the Turbines ship board worked so well:
-It was a sneak attack, which allowed Tekkadan to access the mainframe and get the entire ship's layout
-Teiwaz disengaged halfway through the battle
-The crew on the Brewers ship are probably stupid enough to blow the whole ship up if they tried the gas tactic again
-The leader of the assault isn't as good as Orga, since a death or two were because he couldn't reign in his comrades from being over-eager

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Stay in school until you are crushed to death by a heavy blunt object!

:smith:

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it possible to play IBO on a PS4 somehow? I'm in the UK and watching Daisuki on my laptop. I watched Build Fighters on the YouTube app, but using the Daisuki site over the browser doesn't work.

https://youtu.be/gUMnNb1MuJ4

They put the episodes up on YouTube every week

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bullet Proof posted:

https://youtu.be/gUMnNb1MuJ4

They put the episodes up on YouTube every week

It's not available on Youtube in the UK.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not available on Youtube in the UK.

For some reason. What's up with that, is it some deal with Daisuki? From what I gather Hulu isn't exclusive in the states.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

For some reason. What's up with that, is it some deal with Daisuki? From what I gather Hulu isn't exclusive in the states.

AFAIK the official Gundam Youtube channel is the fall-back if no one has distribution rights in-region, and they just disable access to the episodes if there's anyone with the rights. Daisuki has it in the UK and Hulu has it in the US so the Youtube works in neither of those countries, but it works in Australia and a bunch of central European countries because no one there picked it up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do we have any data yet on how Japan is reacting to IBO? I can sort of see it going either way - it's a quality product, but it's pretty dark and action-light by Gundam standards (yes, I know that the franchise usually has some hosed-up stuff in it, but it's rarely quite so dense and frankly-discussed).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Last I read the ratings were pretty dismal despite the people watching it actually liking it a lot.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Or trying to find said pirated versions in a format the PS4 can read from a memory stick I guess.

There's a dude that does exactly this, just converts shows to a different format (or at least his files played on the ps3 when I had to use it)

This show continues to be amazing, I'm surprised how engaging it is. I told my self I'd finish G Reco after dropping it half way trough but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as this, so I don't know if I can watch it.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I just watched the episode and wow it is super uncomfortable to watch Mika mowing down other child soldiers, especially when every time he does it there's a shot of the kid getting crushed inside the cockpit. It's the fact that none of the kids who died signed up for it that makes it way worse. I was maybe expecting one or two of them to bite it, but then they all did, and then Masahiro suicided by Gundam. Got a little unnerving for me to watch after the first mace to the cockpit.

That's a good thing, too. The fact that it can provoke that kind of unease without going overboard trying to shock the viewer is a testament to the quality of the show.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like a really strange way to go about selling toys, if that's the reason that the show exists. Maybe I have the target audience wrong, and they're aiming more for young adults. Otherwise, it seems like showing kids of similar ages to the target demographic dying horribly for no reason other than "My life is poo poo and death is inevitable" seems...odd? Maybe I'm just not up on how kids these days think? I dunno.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ShiroIchida posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like a really strange way to go about selling toys, if that's the reason that the show exists.

Have you seen War in the Pocket? It was an outright spit in the face to the idea of selling toys(which is where the title comes from) and is also the only Gundam I feel is on a comparable level with IBO anymore.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Toys sell no matter the demographic. Breaking Bad has action figures sold in Toys R Us, you're thinking too hard.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Haven't seen War in the Pocket. I'll have to put it on the list.

As for the toys thing yeah, I kind of figured it might just be me forgetting how toys work. Haven't been in a toy store in around eight years.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ShiroIchida posted:

Haven't seen War in the Pocket. I'll have to put it on the list.

As for the toys thing yeah, I kind of figured it might just be me forgetting how toys work. Haven't been in a toy store in around eight years.

It's the right season for 0080; it's set at Christmas!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah just remember, this time of year it's summer in Australia.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Speaking of 0080, remember when Mao's voice actress from Build Fighters confirmed that the Build Fighters universe is basically Gundam Valhalla, where all the characters from all the series get to live and have long, meaningful lives without the horrors of war? :unsmith:

I'm really, really glad that's a thing after this latest episode IBO, because God drat I'd be depressed as gently caress otherwise. :smith:

Witness Masahiro Altland, all shiny and chrome.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking of 0080, remember when Mao's voice actress from Build Fighters confirmed that the Build Fighters universe is basically Gundam Valhalla, where all the characters from all the series get to live and have long, meaningful lives without the horrors of war? :unsmith:

No because that's stupid as hell and actively undermines the message of the rest of the franchise.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

No because that's stupid as hell and actively undermines the message of the rest of the franchise.

Seriously.

Its somewhat timely given the anime, even thunderbolt which is ENTIRELY "man mobile suits are so loving cool" has the presence of mind to have Io state outright that he's a piece of poo poo for enjoying war as much as he does when it's awful.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Raxivace posted:

It's almost like Build fighters is a silly series that doesn't take anything seriously.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if you're looking for a serious message in build fighters you done goofed already

KoB
May 1, 2009

Schubalts posted:

It's almost like Build fighters is a silly series that doesn't take anything seriously.

It takes gunpla seriously.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maybe that BF special will come out before IBO finishes and if we see the IBO cast in school uniforms having fun then we can be sure they died a horrible death in their series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

We already have a show where a super grim universe gets a school alt universe in Junior High Attack on Titans

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

New mech design revealed:

Looks like the kai's getting some upgrades

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Droyer posted:

hell yeah bark bark head

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

I see Teiwaz listed there, so I'm going to guess that one of the girls is either going to lose her current mech or decide that the Graze is cool and move over to it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I liked when the whiny kid got Mace'd by Mika.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I see Teiwaz listed there, so I'm going to guess that one of the girls is either going to lose her current mech or decide that the Graze is cool and move over to it.

It says it was upgraded with Teiwaz technology.

Also here is how the Gundam frame works with the Gusion

There's also (linked for spoilers) another unit:

http://i.imgur.com/TWEhZnJ.jpg

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm hoping we get to see Akiko's progression as a pilot since circumstances made him effectively a pacifist during the whole Brewer saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
This show really has some top-tier mecha design going on. Best in a long while for the franchise, for sure.

• Locked thread