Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

They showed a stormtrooper using a flamethrower in TFA so Owen and Beru probably got that

I hate the flametrooper, but, yes, maybe they have been with us since the beginning. Maybe they have always been with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I was kind of disappointed that Count Duku or whatever said " Well obviously we can't settle this with our knowledge of the force" right after Yoda just loving caught his force lighting.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Harrow posted:

Soldiers are people, though. Like, I imagine if you were on an American military base mere hours after they get news that most of the United States had been nuked, it would be a topic of conversation, y'know?

/shrug
They'd still do their job.

Also, it's a galaxy. The senate being wiped out would be like DC being wiped out. Not the entire US.

We are both retarded about debating this, but I'm pretty bored.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cosmicjim posted:

/shrug
They'd still do their job.

Also, it's a galaxy. The senate being wiped out would be like DC being wiped out. Not the entire US.

We are both retarded about debating this, but I'm pretty bored.

I mean, true, it's a silly argument.

I'm definitely not saying they should all be a mess and totally distraught. But some sort of mention of what had happened, let Leia use it to make an inspirational speech, that kind of thing, would've sold the drama. As it is, it felt weightless. Also, it seemed like a lot more than the Senate being wiped out--it was at least one entire populated planet.

Basically, I thought it was weightless and it came across as a meaningless echo of A New Hope's planet destruction scene.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Rey and Finn wouldn't have ever cared about the Republic at all up to that point in their lives.

Also we, the viewer, don't care about it because basically all the action in Coruscant in the PT blew. It's basically telling us that even if they wanted to they can't bring back the senate motions and politics bullshit.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 21, 2015

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Harrow posted:

I mean, true, it's a silly argument.

I'm definitely not saying they should all be a mess and totally distraught. But some sort of mention of what had happened, let Leia use it to make an inspirational speech, that kind of thing, would've sold the drama. As it is, it felt weightless. Also, it seemed like a lot more than the Senate being wiped out--it was at least one entire populated planet.

Basically, I thought it was weightless and it came across as a meaningless echo of A New Hope's planet destruction scene.

DC is a big city. I was counting their population as well.

Anyways, I think it has more to do with time constraints. An appeal or lamentations might be done in the next movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bip Roberts posted:

Also we, the viewer, don't care about it because basically all the action in Coruscant in the PT blew. It's basically telling us that even if they wanted to they can't bring back the senate motions and politics bullshit.

It's not Coruscant that blows up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bip Roberts posted:

What would've been really awful is if like, there'd been a scene where the bad guys had a brief conversation about what they're going to do with the superweapon, and why. Especially if, I don't know, the big bad guy with a mask did something threatening and characterful. Like imagine if in ANH, that little bitch Anakin sort of half-assedly choked an admiral and some jerk, like that cameo guy from the end of that lovely movie, told him that's enough. Wouldn't that have just ruined the character? The film? Indeed, the entire franchise?

gently caress all this politics, man. We just need to revere speed, and violence, and the decisive blow.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Huh, I see, well they just blew up Not-Coruscant wink wink

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah that was weird, why not at least blow up a place we're familiar with?

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Who else thinks that Max Von Sydow will turn out to have been an aged character from Rogue One, maybe even Mads Mikkelsen's?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm really happy that we have a strong female character and a main character who is black because Star Wars really needed it badly.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
In my head I apologize away many of the lovely PT sabre battles where they don't look like they're trying to kill each other (especially the iconic anakin/obiwan twirly gif) by viewing it as if they are using the force to predict what the other is doing, so it's a lot of levels of pre-pre-pre-counter stuff. I imagine they don't even bother using force powers on each other because they know they'd be countered. This doesn't really explain why Kylo Ren doesn't just pancake Rey against a tree again. Does the lightsaber block force push? :P

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
When they had the shot of the crowd on Hosnian Prime looking up at the Starkiller plasma raining down on them they should have included a Gungan in the crowd. That would have kept both the OT fans and the PT fans happy!
PT fans: yay they acknowledged the films!
OT fans: eat fiery plasma death you Gungan fucker!

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
What did Yoda say in Rey's force dream? I got the Obi-Wan stuff on second viewing but that was it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
"Rey, Luke's your dad. Kylo Ren is your cousin don't make out with him"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm honestly hoping that Finn is the one who is the twin of either Kylo or Rey. gently caress it, it's space fiction, why can't he be one of their twins

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Hazdoc posted:

If the lightsaber duel between Rey/Finn and Ren happened BEFORE Han died, it wouldn't make any sense. Finn is still in his "run away from danger and take Rey with him" mode, and Rey still doesn't want to deal with the lightsaber or Ren.

But after they both watched Ren kill Han, they both had a bone to pick with him, making them have a reason to fight Ren, other than him just getting in their way. Its good. ITS GOOD.

This is the vibe I got from the scene as well, and I liked it. Also, my reaction to the bit where both Ren and Rey go for the lightsabre was that Ren, even after just killing his dad, is still afraid of all the things Anakins sabre represents for him. He hesitated, while Rey just needed to get her weapon back.

Reys personality seems to have really been molded by her time in the desert. Her confidence in her own ability to do whatever she needs to survive apparently works really well when it comes to avoiding the "Do or do not" problems of using Force powers. I hope she learns to temper that as part of her training.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Crow_Robot posted:

Out of all the Star Wars movies, OT, PT, ST

the burnt to a crisp corpses of Luke's aunt and uncle are still the weirdest loving thing in all the movies. Like, why.

Rape slave Momma Skywalker is always the most "why" moment in any Star Wars movie. Way more than burned corpses or severed arms. Those seem like they're tonally in sync with Taun Taun guts but not that whole rape/genocide payoff.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

mastershakeman posted:

I'm honestly hoping that Finn is the one who is the twin of either Kylo or Rey. gently caress it, it's space fiction, why can't he be one of their twins

I think this is better than

Hollismason posted:

I'm really happy that we have a strong female character and a main character who is black because Star Wars really needed it badly.

What did it need badly? SJW moron. Finn's character felt dull after the first 30 minutes. All the reverse racists are rejoicing because they finally don't feel guilty about liking a movie that has a mostly white cast.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jesus goons are worse than the prequel movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

What did it need badly? SJW moron. Finn's character felt dull after the first 30 minutes. All the reverse racists are rejoicing because they finally don't feel guilty about liking a movie that has a mostly white cast.

Why am I a moron for wanting to have a film have a strong female lead and minority as a lead. That makes no loving sense. The last 6 films were about young men and their fathers. It's a nice change of pace. Same reason it'd be cool to have a gay character. Some people don't identify with straight white males.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Oh boy, can we go back to pages and pages of people restating Plinkett's prequel reviews? That was way better than what's about to happen

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Why am I a moron for wanting to have a film have a strong female lead and minority as a lead. That makes no loving sense. The last 6 films were about young men and their fathers. It's a nice change of pace. Same reason it'd be cool to have a gay character. Some people don't identify with straight white males.

Umm did you see where they wrote the word "S J W". S J W, man.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What the gently caress is SJW.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Social Jedi Warrior

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Hot Take.

Poe Dameron will be gay.

Why else do you think he has such a strong relationship with BB-8, his chihua-droid.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Hollismason posted:

A new droid. It'll sell crazy in two christmases.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Star JimCrowe Wars

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Why am I a moron for wanting to have a film have a strong female lead and minority as a lead. That makes no loving sense. The last 6 films were about young men and their fathers. It's a nice change of pace.

Right, you'd prefer the film focus on this fatherless black young male and the struggles he faces in the galaxy. Also, Rey's character is good but not because shes a woman. Shes a well written character that has a lot of great scenes.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Crow_Robot posted:

Hot Take.

Poe Dameron will be gay.

Why else do you think he has such a strong relationship with BB-8, his chihua-droid.

I hope hes gay as hell and bangs the poo poo out of chewbacca

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Thanks for somehow being the worst poster in this thread. Congratulations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't know what any of that has to do with being social.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

cargohills posted:

Thanks for somehow being the worst poster in this thread. Congratulations.

Yea, I shouldn't be criticizing characters by their on screen portrayal. Instead, I should be entirely consumed with what gender and race they are and then I should make my statement.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Yea, I shouldn't be criticizing characters by their on screen portrayal. Instead, I should be entirely consumed with what gender and race they are and then I should make my statement.

You seem awfully consumed with gender and race plenty already guy

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

S... J... W.

Snoke... Jedi... War.

My God, Zach. I think we're really onto something here.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just thought it was a nice change of pace.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

About Rey's mysterious background:

Do you think Vader could have had any more children / clone baby poo poo after Luke and Leia? What if the Emperor had some diabolical scheme to "manufacture" more offspring from Vader, that product being Rey?

This would both gently caress with Kylo's world as well as make her a sort of sibling to Luke and Leia. It would definitely fit - I think it's pretty much understood that she isn't Han's/Leia's offspring, most likely not Luke's offspring, and would bring a weird dimension to Kylo and Rey's conflivt, with Kylo wanting to be so much like Vader and Rey being much more like Vader due to being some sort of weird clone, but not wanting to be like him at all. It would explain her apparent power with the force, as well as why she was left on Jakku.

Rey, being a clone of Vader, was left on Jakku by the remaining galactic empire and hidden from the rebellion so that one day she could be retrieved and used for their gain, but after so many lost battles she was forgotten about.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 21, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Harrow posted:

Soldiers are people, though. Like, I imagine if you were on an American military base mere hours after they get news that most of the United States had been nuked, it would be a topic of conversation, y'know?

Not really. It'd be a topic of conversation a weak later, after we'd killed loving everyone and quietly waited to die out from the radiation poisoning that was the result of us murdering the world. Kill first, bitch later. Not like their super weapon wasn't charging again, you know? What sort of rear end in a top hat sits around crying about all the dead people when their entire job is blowing poo poo up so it doesn't make more dead people? Especially when the next batch of dead people is primed to include you.

Hollismason posted:

To play devil's advocate the entire movie is the search for an old white man, who holds the power to shape the fate of the entire galaxy. The black man is also mostly incompetent, his main job in the plot being to ferry important lighter skinned people through their story beats. Also if you don't think this entire movie is about daddy issues, you might have missed some sub-text. Also some text, and some hyper-text. The main emotional beat of the movie is the death of another old white man, who was a father figure to one of the main characters [Insomuch as he shared her interests and validated her worth, and tried to support her in getting all the things she ever wanted out of life] and the actual father of another. poo poo doesn't get real until he gets dropped. The aforementioned death of world's doesn't even get much of an 'eh', because they have an immediate battle to deal with. Han goes down, and suddenly it's on.

Nothing really changed all that much, the bar is just so insanely low on progress that slight improvement seems major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Nobody expects you to be, OP was just saying that he was happy to see a woman and a black guy in a film series that has 2 other major black characters and 2 other major female characters.

• Locked thread