Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jimbozig posted:

I was under the impression that the phrase 'cultural appropriation' did fall under the broad umbrella of racism. And they definitely called it appropriation.

Should we protest the fact that pizza in Hong Kong is weeeird? I actually love the fact that pizza changes from one place to another. Chicago, Naples, Hong Kong, and everywhere else all have their own variations on pizza and they are all interesting and good in their own way.

The article also states that they would like the vendor to take the time to find out what the dish actually is and what it means, not that they should stop serving the food altogether.

The fact that you said Hong Kong pizza separates it from other types of pizza. In this instance they passed a completely different dish as a traditional Vietnamese one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Effectronica posted:

Real life is not like a videogame, and you don't have to expend 50 Anger Points to use your "Cussing" ability.

Not even remotely the point. It's that pretending to be on the side of human equality, justice, and universal respect yet being ready and eager to call people worthless filth at the slightest opportunity makes you straight-up preposterous.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Last cultural appropriation thread that I read we were talking about how appropriation destroys the appropriated culture before the thread was gassed. Can we skip ahead to that again?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Jimbozig posted:

I was under the impression that the phrase 'cultural appropriation' did fall under the broad umbrella of racism. And they definitely called it appropriation.

Should we protest the fact that pizza in Hong Kong is weeeird? I actually love the fact that pizza changes from one place to another. Chicago, Naples, Hong Kong, and everywhere else all have their own variations on pizza and they are all interesting and good in their own way.

Wow I never really looked at it like that. I guess Tomoyo Joshi, College junior, was speaking with true authority on the subject, as most people barely out of the teenage years are able to do.

I'm sure Clover Linh Tran is going to be the most impressive alumni the Oberlin Review has ever had. Bob Woodward was 29 when he helped expose the Watergate Scandal, I can only imagine that Clover, breaking the most earth-shattering story the world has seen since, "College student says embarrassing thing", is going to go on to greater things than we can possibly imagine.

You've certainly changed my view.

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

haha this is so queer

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Not even remotely the point. It's that pretending to be on the side of human equality, justice, and universal respect yet being ready and eager to call people worthless filth at the slightest opportunity makes you straight-up preposterous.

In reality, people who never express emotions are creepy and off-putting, because they aren't really human. People who always phrase things in the oversugared way so desired by the detritus of this forum are similarly creepy and off-putting, because their emotional range is compressed and necessarily distorted. I would prefer to interact with real human beings, rather than grotesque caricatures and the sort of little Torquemadas who would actually let the post you just wrote leave their fingers in all seriousness.

-Troika- posted:

You can't make everyone happy all the time, or even most of the time. I'd go so far as to say that the kind of people who immediately think racism is the cause of their school lunch entree being kind of lovely shouldn't have anyone going out of the way to cater to their delusional paranoia.

I'd say that the kind of people who immediately convert anything about racism short of lynchings into something absurd are obviously acting out some kind of grudge, and should be shut up for the sake of actual conversation.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

quote:

Perhaps the pinnacle of what many students believe to be a culturally appropriative sustenance system is Dascomb Dining Hall’s sushi bar.

Lmbo this bad.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Effectronica posted:

In reality, people who never express emotions are creepy and off-putting, because they aren't really human. People who always phrase things in the oversugared way so desired by the detritus of this forum are similarly creepy and off-putting, because their emotional range is compressed and necessarily distorted. I would prefer to interact with real human beings, rather than grotesque caricatures and the sort of little Torquemadas who would actually let the post you just wrote leave their fingers in all seriousness.

You are off-putting.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

The article also states that they would like the vendor to take the time to find out what the dish actually is and what it means, not that they should stop serving the food altogether.

The fact that you said Hong Kong pizza separates it from other types of pizza. In this instance they passed a completely different dish as a traditional Vietnamese one.

It's a banh mi, already probably one of the more delicious examples of cultural appropriation in the modern world. I think it's odd to be outraged that they used Italian bread rather than French bread for their Vietnamese sandwich. Banh refers to any food made with wheat flour and a "traditional" bahn mi can be filled with pretty much anything.

Squinty fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 20, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

rudatron posted:

That's an onerous requirement for a marginal concern. If that's valid, then I don't see why every single thing on the Dominoes menu shouldn't have (Waste Of Money) placed in front of it - it would work just as well in preventing people getting their hopes up.
Domino's is an American fast food restaurant, producing pizzas which are either named specifically after the toppings, or in the case of well known pizza types; has the toppings you'd expect based on the name. In short, they live up to their basic promise, expectations of quality is another matter entirely. That's pretty different from taking a dish and just replacing the component parts with what is at best rough analogies from your own culinary tradition, and presenting it as authentic. Which as I mentioned, is making a mockery of another people's culture. To the people who don't know the original, the imitation becomes representative of the dish it mimics, turning the "exotic" into merely a remix of their own culture, which is certainly not something to be encouraged. To the people who do know it, the fake is a broken promise, and a reminder that their culture is not worth the effort to even emulate unsuccessfully.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Squinty posted:

It's a banh mi, already probably one of the more delicious examples of cultural appropriation in the modern world. I think it's odd to be outraged that they used Italian bread rather than French bread for their Vietnamese sandwich. Banh refers to any food made with wheat flour and a "traditional" bahn mi can be filled with pretty much anything.

You are taking to the wrong person. You should explain to the Vietnamese student why he shouldn't be upset.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Effectronica posted:

Yes Effectronica everybody who doesn't like the way you think or speak to people is emotionally stunted and/or evil. Please tell us more about who is and isn't fully human.

You can't honestly believe half the poo poo you write, so I don't get why you keep the shtick up. Are you just genuinely that banal that you find belittling people in a forum privately entertaining enough to spend as much time on it as you do?

blackguy32 posted:

You are taking to the wrong person. You should explain to the Vietnamese student why he shouldn't be upset.

Should anybody really explain to someone why they shouldn't be upset over their sandwich not being exactly the way they dreamed it would be?

If an Italian student went bitching to the school newspaper about how the refectory's so-called spaghetti bolognese didn't in his opinion bear sufficient resemblance to the ragů mama makes to bear the name of his home town, would you think that ought to be taken seriously?

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 20, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yes Effectronica everybody who doesn't like the way you think or speak to people is emotionally stunted and/or evil. Please tell us more about who is and isn't fully human.

You can't honestly believe half the poo poo you write, so I don't get why you keep the shtick up. Are you just genuinely that banal that you find belittling people in a forum privately entertaining enough to spend as much time on it as you do?

That's not what I said. I said, to lay it out explicitly, that the constant repetition of "u mad bro?" in more pretentious language, and the constant demand that people treat each other with false pleasantry, are demands to limit the emotional range of people's responses. Many people go along with these demands because social pressure is usually pretty effective. I am insane/trolling/"genuinely that banal"/etc. etc., and so view those who make such demands as cockroaches and termites, whose nattering I should ignore.

I called you a "little Torquemada" because like good Tomas before you and his beliefs about the conversos, you are convinced that people aren't really in favor of "pretending to be on the side of human equality, justice, and universal respect" because they call people names. They must be insincere. In point of fact, we could actually go ahead and hash out whether you're dumb enough to conclude that rape fetishists deserve as much respect as foot fetishists (naive universalism), or whether you're just convinced that dudes who instinctively sneer at any claim that something is racist are deserving of respect inherently (naive motherfuckerism). Then I could point out how contempt and disrespect coming from the "right-wing" viewpoint brings not a teaspoon of condemnation from you, and we could go into why that is, probably over about ten or twelve pages. Or rather, I'd get probated first, because the moderation policy agrees with your Candyland dream.

In any case, you should probably resolve the inconsistency between "you can't honestly believe half the poo poo you write" and "doesn't like the way you think".

Squinty posted:

Here, for an example, is some real disrespect directed at people, and not a word slips from your fingers about it.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Should anybody really explain to someone why they shouldn't be upset over their sandwich not being exactly the way they dreamed it would be?

If an Italian student went bitching to the school newspaper about how the refectory's so-called spaghetti bolognese didn't in his opinion bear sufficient resemblance to the ragů mama makes to bear the name of his home town, would you think that ought to be taken seriously?

So you order the ham and swiss on rye, and surprise, it's a turkey and cheddar on pita bread. You complain about how I messed up your order, and I summon about fifty College Republicans to sing your post at you and call you a retarded Tumblr.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yes Effectronica everybody who doesn't like the way you think or speak to people is emotionally stunted and/or evil.

If an Italian student went bitching to the school newspaper about how the refectory's so-called spaghetti bolognese didn't in his opinion bear sufficient resemblance to the ragù mama made back home to bear the name of his home town, would you think that ought to be taken seriously?

This poo poo gets so tiring. The dude complained and the vendor recognized the error of their ways and are working to correct it. But yes, if you are going to tell someone that their opinion is wrong despite them having a better grasp on Vietnamese food, the least you can do is tell them the truth as to why it was changed.

Why is it so difficult to accept that his opinion may be valid? Is it that difficult to call the sandwich something else?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Like, if I made a spaghetti dish with cream sauce, capers, and anchovies, and said it was alla puttanesca, then nobody would say it was actually alla puttanesca, because sugo alla puttanesca is made of tomatoes, capers, and olives, with regional variations like anchovies and garlic in Naples and green peppers in Sicily. They would say it was a take on alla puttanesca.

But let's say instead that people not only agreed that this was spaghetti alla puttanesca, but that it was what alla puttanesca really is, and the original sugo alla puttanesca was obliterated from cookbooks and menus. This is the fear of culinary appropriation, and it's something that, while not a worry on a global level, is a problem on a national level, especially with ethnic or regional cuisines that don't have cultural power behind them.

(Note that since pizza is a term applying to the crust and not the ingredients on top of it, this doesn't actually apply to Japanese pizzas or hot-dog pizzas.)

As a consequence, it's really certain cuisines that face this issue, because, say, Mexican cuisine has sufficient cultural power that Taco Bell and Chipotle can't eliminate taquerias entirely. This is not the case for other ethnic and regional cuisines, so you have people standing up for them. Now, you could argue that there's no racial component and that this is a more general response to homogenization or whatever, but it's not really difficult to see the different ways in which different cuisines are treated.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I would say there's also a racist component to the fact that literally the only reason why people in this thread think "yo you messed my food up" is hysterical tumblrism is because the people saying it aren't white.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Effectronica posted:

All your posts are suffused with an oppressive sense of misery and suppressed anger. Sorry but I'd prefer you to keep those feelings out of the forum. "Little Torquemadas?" WTF

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

No matter what the term was you guys would be complaining about the term. You people complain about every term used to describe every grievance a marginalized group has. It's your first line of defense.

In the case of the student article, I'd actually prefer people just say that the cafeteria is being culturally insensitive and ignorant, or even racist, and most of those quoted expressed themselves well. That pseudo-sushi was clearly bullshit and I'd be pissed too if I were the Japanese student. I think the term cultural appropriation aspires to a sort of intellectual rigor that is unnecessary, and its false aspirations to precision can lend it to misuse and a confusion about the real issues.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007
It's just funny that we're talking about banh mi and General Tso's Chicken, two prime examples of how cultural products naturally change and adapt when they collide with other cultures. If they served Campbell's chicken noodle soup and called it pho that'd be dumb, but especially in the northern parts of Vietnam banh mi just means a baguette sandwich. The ciabatta is an interesting adaptation, since baguettes in America are universally poo poo and ciabatta is easier to produce and probably closer in texture to Vietnamese baguettes.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why is it mockery? If you don't get what you order, fair enough, that's inconvenient. What I'm not seeing is the whole judgement angle. The choices in a menu could exist for any number of reasons: practical concerns, cost-cutting, adaption to the customer taste or just simple ignorance. Since it's cafeteria food, it's probably the first two. If you're honing in on mockery, that's not something you can easily derive from the subject. There has to be some projection going on. Certainly if I went to another country, and they got a food I was familiar with wrong, poo poo'd be hilarious. So I think you're better off going hunting for the reasons behind that interpretative difference and talking it through, rather than placing requirements of vendors to always label knock-off food or whatever, which I think is just absurd.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Squalid posted:

All your posts are suffused with an oppressive sense of misery and suppressed anger. Sorry but I'd prefer you to keep those feelings out of the forum. "Little Torquemadas?" WTF

My anger isn't "suppressed", buddy.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squalid posted:

In the case of the student article, I'd actually prefer people just say that the cafeteria is being culturally insensitive and ignorant, or even racist, and most of those quoted expressed themselves well. That pseudo-sushi was clearly bullshit and I'd be pissed too if I were the Japanese student. I think the term cultural appropriation aspires to a sort of intellectual rigor that is unnecessary, and its false aspirations to precision can lend it to misuse and a confusion about the real issues.

If you actually supported the students you'd be doing so instead of nitpicking their word choice. The same with feminism, the same with Black Lives Matter, the same with every single word that so much as floated the whisper of a suggestion of an idea that white dudes aren't perfect. This is so incredibly transparent. I have no idea why you all keep trying it like you're fooling anybody.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If you actually supported the students you'd be doing so instead of nitpicking their word choice. The same with feminism, the same with Black Lives Matter, the same with every single word that so much as floated the whisper of a suggestion of an idea that white dudes aren't perfect. This is so incredibly transparent. I have no idea why you all keep trying it like you're fooling anybody.

I think you're being a little silly here, there's no way for me to materially support or hinder these students at a school hundreds of miles away from me, especially not on this forum. Sometimes it's worthwhile to have a meaningful discussion about theory and tactics. It's much easier to fight a serious political campaign if you have a clear idea what you want and how to get their. One of the students interviewed in the article actively avoided the term cultural appropriation, probably for the same reason people in this thread take issue with the phrase:

quote:

Still, some students are not convinced that Bon Appétit’s menu qualifies as cultural appropriation. Arala Tian Yoon Teh, a College sophomore from Malaysia, said the dining service’s food selections are a reflection of cultural collision, not cultural appropriation.

Also it's kind of annoying that you keep making references to "you all," "you guys," and "goons," rather than addressing people directly. Especially since if you believe cultural appropriation exists, its something almost all communities are guilty of and need to address. The racist use of Native American mascots, symbols, and religious rites is not something exclusive to White people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

rudatron posted:

Why is it mockery? If you don't get what you order, fair enough, that's inconvenient. What I'm not seeing is the whole judgement angle. The choices in a menu could exist for any number of reasons: practical concerns, cost-cutting, adaption to the customer taste or just simple ignorance. Since it's cafeteria food, it's probably the first two. If you're honing in on mockery, that's not something you can easily derive from the subject. There has to be some projection going on.
The judgement happens the moment you decide a dish should be changed, for whatever reason, yet you do not feel like this change warrants giving the dish a new name. That might be a fair assessment in many cases, but it certainly isn't universally so. Cost-cutting and adapting to local tastes is fine, and is itself part of the creation of new dishes, but doing so and not renaming the dish* is essentially saying you place so little value on the original that your new dish is just as deserving of the name. It might not be a conscious thing, hell, it probably isn't, but that doesn't really matter.

*If it has been fundamentally altered, and not just made slightly less "luxurious" because it's being served in a cafeteria.

rudatron posted:

Certainly if I went to another country, and they got a food I was familiar with wrong, poo poo'd be hilarious.
Where are you from? Also, that does not seem entirely analogous to living as a minority in a country where the majority sells poo poo named after familiar foods, which have very little to do with them.

rudatron posted:

So I think you're better off going hunting for the reasons behind that interpretative difference and talking it through, rather than placing requirements of vendors to always label knock-off food or whatever, which I think is just absurd.
What's absurd about asking vendors to at least try to serve what they put on their menus, or to come up with new names for stuff inspired by other cultures?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squalid posted:

I think you're being a little silly here, there's no way for me to materially support or hinder these students at a school hundreds of miles away from me, especially not on this forum. Sometimes it's worthwhile to have a meaningful discussion about theory and tactics. It's much easier to fight a serious political campaign if you have a clear idea what you want and how to get their. One of the students interviewed in the article actively avoided the term cultural appropriation, probably for the same reason people in this thread take issue with the phrase:

Also it's kind of annoying that you keep making references to "you all," "you guys," and "goons," rather than addressing people directly. Especially since if you believe cultural appropriation exists, its something almost all communities are guilty of and need to address. The racist use of Native American mascots, symbols, and religious rites is not something exclusive to White people.

Come on, you're so close to getting there. Just say "maybe you're the real racist." You'll love how it feels.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

I would say there's also a racist component to the fact that literally the only reason why people in this thread think "yo you messed my food up" is hysterical tumblrism is because the people saying it aren't white.

Uh no, if some Italian guy cried about how the Chef Boyardee served in his school's cafeteria was racist, he'd probably get mocked even more.

A ton of the social justice terminology is giving simple ideas $10 words to make them sound more impressive and to obfuscate ugly aspects of the ideology. The terms aren't profound--they are just marketing. You are getting upset because Squalid is trying to avoid using your vague marketing terms.

Honestly, I like the following quote by Kelly Oliver on the subject who at least is being honest about what she is trying to do:

"Rather, feminist theories should be political tools, strategies for overcoming oppression in specific concrete situations. The goal, then, of feminist theory, should be to develop strategic theories -- not true theories, not false theories, but strategic theories."

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 20, 2015

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The judgement happens the moment you decide a dish should be changed, for whatever reason, yet you do not feel like this change warrants giving the dish a new name. That might be a fair assessment in many cases, but it certainly isn't universally so. Cost-cutting and adapting to local tastes is fine, and is itself part of the creation of new dishes, but doing so and not renaming the dish* is essentially saying you place so little value on the original that your new dish is just as deserving of the name. It might not be a conscious thing, hell, it probably isn't, but that doesn't really matter.

What changes qualify? The sushi the article calls "the pinnacle" of appropriation about wasn't fundamentally changed, it was just poorly prepared. Incidentally, by this definition the baguettes used in traditional banh mi shouldn't be called baguettes, since they use a blend of wheat and rice flour to approximate the texture produced by hard French winter wheat flour.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It doesn't sound like they changed the dish in any way though? The traditional ban me sandwich comes with pork and pickled veggies and the ban me sandwich the school served came with pork and pickled veggies..

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

silence_kit posted:

Uh no, if some Italian guy cried about how the Chef Boyardee served in his school's cafeteria was racist, he'd probably get mocked even more.

A ton of the social justice terminology is giving simple ideas $10 words to make them sound more impressive and to obfuscate ugly aspects of the ideology. The terms aren't profound--they are just marketing. You are getting upset because Squalid is trying to avoid using your vague marketing terms.

Honestly, I like the following quote by Kelly Oliver on the subject who at least is being honest about what she is trying to do:

"Rather, feminist theories should be political tools, strategies for overcoming oppression in specific concrete situations. The goal, then, of feminist theory, should be to develop strategic theories -- not true theories, not false theories, but strategic theories."

Accusing people criticizing your behavior of "getting upset" is another deflection tactic. None of you are capable of having an honest conversation about any of this, because the humility and self-reflection required to do so is so completely alien to you that you sincerely and unshakably think that anyone bringing it up is just talking nonsense to antagonize you. You were all raised to see yourselves as the protagonists in every story, so when the sidekicks and background characters start talking you react like they're stepping on your lines. It goes exactly like this every time - the first wave of outraged mockery and strawmen, the second wave of Reasonable Goons tut-tutting about Gee Minorities, I'd Really Love to Take You Seriously But..., the race to disqualify every dissenting voice for being Too Emotional or not having lobbed the ball through the galloping goalposts fast enough.

You all think you're progressives, which is the really funny part. You're the same angry cowards your parents and your grandparents were, goons. Voting Dem once every four years isn't enough to change that.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

ˇMama mia! ˇThis-ah ravioli is like-ah some-ah sort of hatecrime!

E: wish I would have said it was a spicy hatecrime. :(

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 20, 2015

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Accusing people criticizing your behavior of "getting upset" is another deflection tactic.

Uh you are clearly getting upset. You can't go one post in this thread without calling people names and generating long posts psycho-analyzing them as secret bigots.

And you are pretty blinded by your fury. Your first two posts in this thread were angry tirades towards a black poster who you thought was white and you called him a Reddit bigot who doesn't care about black people, because he disagreed with you. He ended up leaving the thread because of you.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 20, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Uh you are clearly getting upset. You can't go one post in this thread without calling people names and generating long posts psycho-analyzing them as secret bigots.

And you are pretty blinded by your fury. Your first two posts in this thread were angry tirades towards a black poster who you thought was white and you called him a Reddit bigot who doesn't care about black people, because he disagreed with you. He ended up leaving the thread because of you.

So? We aren't robots. Going in circles about cultural appropriation with the same lovely talking points about how minorities are getting uppity for speaking out about stuff that annoys them gets old.

There is nothing wrong with speaking out when people misrepresent your food.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

silence_kit posted:

Sometimes I forget why I drop by D&D every now and then, but then I see posts like those and I remember.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Squinty posted:

What changes qualify? The sushi the article calls "the pinnacle" of appropriation about wasn't fundamentally changed, it was just poorly prepared. Incidentally, by this definition the baguettes used in traditional banh mi shouldn't be called baguettes, since they use a blend of wheat and rice flour to approximate the texture produced by hard French winter wheat flour.
What changes qualify is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but anything that clearly changes the texture, smell, or flavor of the dish would probably be something to look out for. Which in the case of the banh mi baguettes seems, from your description, to be something that's specifically avoided. I mean, obviously the stuff being put inside is probably pretty different from what the French would historically, but then I don't think the specific types are named the same as some completely different French varieties?

The Kingfish posted:

It doesn't sound like they changed the dish in any way though? The traditional ban me sandwich comes with pork and pickled veggies and the ban me sandwich the school served came with pork and pickled veggies..
I'm discussing the topic in general.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Come on, you're so close to getting there. Just say "maybe you're the real racist." You'll love how it feels.

lol you might not be racist but you're definitely obnoxious. You haven't bothered to engage anybody, or even to explain your positions. Anybody you address is screeching, or whining, pig-ignorant, or a twat. They aren't arguing in good faith, reading isn't their strong suit, they're incapable of listening to minority experiences (how do you know who's a minority here?). Everyone's a worthless baby incessantly harping on hysterical tumblrism. When you're being as nasty as you are why would you expect anyone to have an honest conversation? You've done nothing but attempt to antagonize people.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

You all think you're progressives, which is the really funny part. You're the same angry cowards your parents and your grandparents were, goons. Voting Dem once every four years isn't enough to change that.

I try not to base my beliefs on the label I'd prefer.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
They may not have even known they were making a change though. That and when I said judgement, I should have said clearly I didn't mean just making a choice, I meant whole assumption of superiority on their part. That's not something you can easily see, it's interpretative,and it's not an interpretation that I think is obvious or the simplest. The fact that it's the first one people jump to makes me think there's some other factor here. I mean, yeah, vendors should sell what's on the menu, it's important for words to have one meaning, but I don't think that should be formally policed or expected to be true beyond basic food safety stuff (You can't label horse as 'beef'). If a vendor does get a food wrong, they're not committing some kind of culture-crime.
Or, here's an alternative, it doesn't make sense or seem fair to call people who make the wrong dish racist.

And since you've psycho-analyzed others itt, I feel it's only right to extend the same, uh, courtesy, to you: You're someone who's learned that you can get your voice heard if you're outraged enough, and live a life that is unsatisfying or frustrating. You mock people for considering themselves progressives, but your rhetoric only works among that audience. Outside it, you're dismissed and ignored. Inside it, you feel you have control, so you're free to express those frustrations and get validation for them. But that anger isn't directed at the source, it's directed outwards, so those frustrations never go away. Therefore, regardless of what the people listening say or do, it's still there.

If I could grant you real happiness, I would, but I can't, so all I'll say is I hope things get better for you.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

blackguy32 posted:

There is nothing wrong with speaking out when people misrepresent your food.

I think that the whole thing is absurd and the college students are missing important context. School cafeteria food is an affront to all cuisine because it's mass produced and cheap. What they are doing is like getting mad at the grocery store for selling frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu and spaghetti and meatballs TV dinners and demanding that they relabel those foods because they are an affront to authentic European cuisine.

The banh mi was probably made that way not to mock Vietnamese students, but because it was cheaper to do so and enabled reuse of ingredients for other dishes. Furthermore there is the point that Squinty brought up which is that the Vietnamese student complaining about it has a close-minded view of what banh mi actually is.

The Japanese student complaining about the bad sushi is basically asking that they not serve it at all because there's no way in central Ohio that good fish will be as cheap or fresh as in Japan or that the guys getting paid peanuts making the food in the school cafeteria will be as skilled as professional Japanese sushi chefs.

One could make arguments that the students are being elitist or classist for complaining about cheap food, and/or are contributing to the tuition debt crisis, which may be worse social 'sins'.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 21, 2015

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

Well obviously it's because Italians are part of the Global North white oppressor class. Same thing with cabbage and corned beef. But badly made General Tso's chicken is the Rape of Nanking all over again.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Holy poo poo 90% of prepared food is an affront to the true traditional recipe, normally we correctly label people who make a big deal about this insufferable snobs.

People who want to also want to claim that it's racism on top of that, especially when they're making something that's alien to them, is a level of pretension worthy of exceptional derision.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jarmak posted:

Holy poo poo 90% of prepared food is an affront to the true traditional recipe, normally we correctly label people who make a big deal about this insufferable snobs.

People who want to also want to claim that it's racism on top of that, especially when they're making something that's alien to them, is a level of pretension worthy of exceptional derision.

Yeah, from my experience in university food service, the chefs and cooks know anything they make outside of the typical confines of Western European cuisine is going to be a pale imitation of authentic dishes. It's not maliciousness, it's just a fact of life that kitchen chefs don't get unlimited budgets for labor, ingredients, and facilities, and kitchen staff are usually pressed for time amid all the demands of the food court, student meal plans, and catering events that happen on campus. They take shortcuts, they use the same general ingredients and preparation across multiple dishes, and they prepare food for the palette of the lowest common denominator among the students and faculty.

I mean, I can get why a Vietnamese student might take umbrage at a lovely food court bahn mi, but how far do they want to run with this whole thing? Are they down for policing Vietnamese restaurants for authenticity, to ensure the cuisine is being represented with quality food? To ensure that the owners aren't "selling out" by changing their dishes to suit general American tastes? To make sure that their decor is respectful and appropriate and not selling stereotypes of Asia, even if the owners themselves happen to be Asian? It seems like the better thing to do would be to push the university to attract more dining options on campus (such as food carts and the like) that can specialize in more fully meeting the preferences of the student body, rather than accusing a bunch of low-paid food service workers with little specialized culinary experience of being culturally insensitive.

From my perspective, it's snobbery and elitism, nothing more. These students go to school in a culinary backwater, looking at the college location and a Google Maps search of Vietnamese and sushi restaurants near it (spoiler: there don't appear to be any close by).

• Locked thread