Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

This is something I have been wishing for for years, and especially since the change that 5 years have to pass before allies stop mattering if I want to make peace with the main wartarget.
I really hate it when it is like "What do you mean Hesse will not white peace when I have Austria, Bohemia, and Hungary 100% occupied?"

Just like AI ignoring naval attrition, this is OK most of the time. But it consistently leads to edge cases where you're shaking your fist at the screen wondering "why don't you fuckers peace out when 99% of your alliance is crushed and I've occupied the wargoal for 3 years??"

Oh, they're gonna wage a completely pointless resistance for another two years farting single stacks of infantry across my borders trying to reoccupy provinces. Ok? This accomplishes... what?

Edit: I'm totally guilty of routinely spite-ruining minor nations which hold up peace deals for years because they refuse a white peace despite being utterly beaten in all reasonable senses.

Like, if I was in their shoes I would be looking to peace out ASAP and remove myself from much more unfavorable deals.

Basically, I'd like it if the AI was much more self-interested rather than being artificially devoted to defensive wars they haven't a prayer of winning.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Recently started playing and really enjoying things. I'm focusing on Castille to learn the ropes and am on about my third playthrough after abandoning other playthroughs due to mistakes and missteps (-3 stability drops ahoy!).

As things stand:
- In the process of integrating Aragon and Naples due to a personal union which triggered after the Iberian Wedding event
- Strong ally with Portugal, who are in the process of cleaning up in North Africa and taking over Morocco
- Started colonising in Brazil and West Africa (sorting out some of those pesky pagans right now)
- Have taken over Tangiers for some reason. Not quite sure if its hurting more than its helping but will hold onto it for.

The question I have is I feel as though I am constantly struggling for money. I haven't been able to build many buildings (focusing on marketplace for now), but always feel as though I'm on the edge of going broke. I've put together an album of screenshots, any suggestions on something obvious I am doing that is hurting my economy or is this just how the game plays?

http://imgur.com/a/2SJQE

Edit: Ooops, added in Budget.

sc0tty fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 20, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You actually left out one of the important parts, your budget tab! Do you run your military at full maintenance all the time? If you're in a period of stabilizing and recovering manpower, you can drop army maintenance. You are also running a colonist and two missionaries simultaneously, and that's going to suck up a lot of income at the stage you're in.

Positive stability increases income too, so if you've had stability issues you'll have money issues too.

Generally, I don't build very many buildings until I have a lot of money. Buildings are expensive. 1512 is probably too early to build any buildings.

Sevilla is presumably your main trading port. That means you collect there automatically and can have that merchant reassigned somewhere else to transfer trade to Sevilla instead. That however shouldn't have a huge impact on your income.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

Antti posted:

You actually left out one of the important parts, your budget tab! Do you run your military at full maintenance all the time? If you're in a period of stabilizing and recovering manpower, you can drop army maintenance. You are also running a colonist and two missionaries simultaneously, and that's going to suck up a lot of income at the stage you're in.

Positive stability increases income too, so if you've had stability issues you'll have money issues too.

Generally, I don't build very many buildings until I have a lot of money. Buildings are expensive. 1512 is probably too early to build any buildings.

Sevilla is presumably your main trading port. That means you collect there automatically and can have that merchant reassigned somewhere else to transfer trade to Sevilla instead. That however shouldn't have a huge impact on your income.

Added in the budget screen. I will descrese military budget down to about 10-50% during peace time however as I am constantly colonizing I'm struggling to find a nice middle ground without morale being rock-bottom and losing a ton of troops to bad armies.
Good to know about the buildings. I wasn't sure if I was way behind or way ahead on them at all.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Army and fort maintenance seem a bit high. Are you over your forcelimits? If so, cut down on soldiers. You might want to mothball some forts (especially interior ones) and/or mothball expensive fleets (you don't need heavy ships unless you go to war with another major European power)

Depending on how early it is, try to get colonial maintenance down to the level where your colonies grow at 0 per year. In the early game, they'll mostly grow due to the "19-25% chance of monthly tick" attract settlers chance, instead of the measly +15 per year growth. So keep that slider down in the early game.

EDIT: and you probably don't need advisors badly enough to justify a deficit with them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, turning off or dismantling forts, reducing army maintenance, making sure you're at 100% forcelimits or below (11 maintenance for what you have seems high) for both army and navy, and selling/dismantling big ships sound like good cures for right now. Inheriting Aragon almost certainly made at least one or two forts strategically unnecessary.

You probably inherited some troops from Aragon when they integrated, and that might have pushed you above your force limit, since every independent nation gets a base bonus to force limit and now you're one nation with two nations' armies.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

VDay posted:

Oh also in case no one's mentioned it yet: Paradox is giving out a free unit pack to everyone, you just need to make a Paradox account if you haven't made one yet. https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/profile/game_keys should maybe/probably work. I think they had some problems with their distribution or something so your might not have yours yet but they said everyone should get it eventually.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Just grabbed mine.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Also as Spain you want to take over the Caribbean as fast as possible, it's the most valuable node in the new world and controlling it and Ivory Coast nodes are pretty much all you need to ship 80% of Not-Europe's wealth into Sevilla.

As a colonial nation it can be a hassle to lower troop maintenance because of native uprisings, and between that and the hassle of micro of armies around tiny rear end islands I usually just leave it to the -100% uprising policy. But if you really want those bonuses and dont mind the extra micro you absolutely need to pick up Quantity as an idea group soon. The extra forcelimits, manpower, and lowered maintenance costs make a huge difference helping you keep expeditionary forces in the New World, Africa, and Asia while still having enough troops left at home to deal with rebels or surprise attacks from neighbors.

You could play the rest of the game just sitting around colonizing and sitting on mad stacks of cash but if you want to be more active on the continent I would hurry to contain France if I were you, declaring them your rival will help you get alliances with their other rivals, hopefully Austria, Poland, or whatever German nation consolidates power in the next 30-40 years will be ready to help you but even alone you can bleed an insane amount of manpower in the Pyrenees

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

420 Gank Mid posted:

Also as Spain you want to take over the Caribbean as fast as possible, it's the most valuable node in the new world and controlling it and Ivory Coast nodes are pretty much all you need to ship 80% of Not-Europe's wealth into Sevilla.

As a colonial nation it can be a hassle to lower troop maintenance because of native uprisings, and between that and the hassle of micro of armies around tiny rear end islands I usually just leave it to the -100% uprising policy. But if you really want those bonuses and dont mind the extra micro you absolutely need to pick up Quantity as an idea group soon. The extra forcelimits, manpower, and lowered maintenance costs make a huge difference helping you keep expeditionary forces in the New World, Africa, and Asia while still having enough troops left at home to deal with rebels or surprise attacks from neighbors.

You could play the rest of the game just sitting around colonizing and sitting on mad stacks of cash but if you want to be more active on the continent I would hurry to contain France if I were you, declaring them your rival will help you get alliances with their other rivals, hopefully Austria, Poland, or whatever German nation consolidates power in the next 30-40 years will be ready to help you but even alone you can bleed an insane amount of manpower in the Pyrenees

IMO the Ultimate SP Spain Strat is to curbstomp Portugal and Aragon as fast as possible. You can probably just restart if you don't get the PU event, but vassalizing Portugal is awesome because if you make sure to return the provinces you took, they will continue to colonize like normal, although maybe a little slower. You have the added benefit of once you inherit their nation, their CNs will become yours, but will not merge with your previous merchants, allowing you to get double the merchants per colonial region.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

TTBF posted:

Have troops in an enemy province and not moving. It will tick over at the beginning of each month. There's a green bar on the little province view that pops up when you click on a province (to the left of development if I remember right) which shows you how much loot is left. Hovering over the bar will show you the current loot, the maximum loot, and how much your troops are looting per month.

Oh man looting makes a huge difference. I started a Manchurian tribe run instead and formed manchu by 1500 and wrecked an exploded ming/korea team. (Then rebels broke me cause manchu doesn't take tengri which dropped my unity to 30% while I was overextended)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

sc0tty posted:

Recently started playing and really enjoying things. I'm focusing on Castille to learn the ropes and am on about my third playthrough after abandoning other playthroughs due to mistakes and missteps (-3 stability drops ahoy!).

As things stand:
- In the process of integrating Aragon and Naples due to a personal union which triggered after the Iberian Wedding event
- Strong ally with Portugal, who are in the process of cleaning up in North Africa and taking over Morocco
- Started colonising in Brazil and West Africa (sorting out some of those pesky pagans right now)
- Have taken over Tangiers for some reason. Not quite sure if its hurting more than its helping but will hold onto it for.

The question I have is I feel as though I am constantly struggling for money. I haven't been able to build many buildings (focusing on marketplace for now), but always feel as though I'm on the edge of going broke. I've put together an album of screenshots, any suggestions on something obvious I am doing that is hurting my economy or is this just how the game plays?

http://imgur.com/a/2SJQE

Edit: Ooops, added in Budget.

Also, don't integrate Aragon. The Form Spain Diplomatically decision let's you inherit them for free as long as you haven't overfed them (and you haven't).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

This is probably the last Project Qing Manchu update, brought to you by a very satisfying downfall for France.

(Also, a decade before these GB conquered all of Japan again and lost all of Japan to rebels again.)

Liege pulled the trigger and consumed most of France in a massive war, I saw my chance and went for it in China.

Muscovy is still their pal and has an army of 120k (I have a standing army of a similar size), and Aragon and Venice and other minor powers were also embroiled in the war so that I faced invasions in Japan, Southeast Asia and Siberia. I was able to bat most of them away and conquer enough stuff and win enough battles that I took all of France's holdings in Korea and more than half in China itself.

Bukhara saw their own chance after I'd given Muscovite armies a hiding and is giving them a run for their money in the steppes to gain some territory too, but mostly I wanted to show off Scandi-Tver which is probably why Muscovy never went green. They're not a vassal but they have a long-term alliance with Muscovy.

Running low on manpower I grabbed Quantity as my second to last idea group and I now have a force limit of 250 and a maximum manpower of 155k.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 20, 2015

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

What?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Congrats on your Manchu run but I can't help but feel like Tver's story is somehow cooler.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Antti posted:

This is probably the last Project Qing Manchu update, brought to you by a very satisfying downfall for France.

(Also, a decade before these GB conquered all of Japan again and lost all of Japan to rebels again.)

Liege pulled the trigger and consumed most of France in a massive war, I saw my chance and went for it in China.

How did they manage to get like 3 wars worth of provinces and also aren't already coalitioned to death? :psyduck:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I sadly have no idea what happened with Tver since I didn't even see them until the 17th century when they had already wiped the floor with Sweden. Since they have a long-term alliance with Muscovy, my best guess is Tver got a nice chunk of territory from a war against Novgorod and then rode Muscovy to success after that.

Liege had something like a dozen provinces before that war; so it wasn't from OPM to all of France in one fell swoop but it might as well have been. They were definitely smaller than Burgundy in 1444, for example, but a clear green thorn in France's side all throughout. The best clue there is the alliance with Blob-Austria, France must have lost a critical war where territory was given to Liege and then it just kept snowballing from there.

Also you may notice that Spain never happened, and Commonwealth never happened.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also like mega-Afghanistan.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I waged a gigantic war against Bengal and friends, grabbed 20+ provinces from them, realized I hadn't paid enough attention to events and Tribes influence was at 85%. So in January 1777 Manchu became Qing. I can't westernize though, I'm minus two technologies ahead of Revolutionary France. :smith:

At least the colour is gorgeous. Oh and I'm making money hand over fist so with all my ideas I can conjure and maintain a 100k mercenary stack if I need to.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 20, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

420 Gank Mid posted:

As a colonial nation it can be a hassle to lower troop maintenance because of native uprisings

Starting at around military tech level 10 you can have colonial guards of two infantry and one cavalry and at 25% maintenance they will defeat native uprisings. It might be earlier than military tech 10 but that's when I first feel safe doing it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
TO games are fun. Pro opening strat? Ally Bohemia, vassalize LO, join the HRE. Ally Austria too. Vassalize Novgorod if you can

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh and take Riga for yourself.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Are there any other lesser known fun starts?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
As a new player should I hold off on Cossacks expansion?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nope, just jump in.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

1000+ hours into this game and I have never seen a map this weird. Good guesses about the causes too, I can't think of better ones.

On top of everything already mentioned, Kiev can get released sometimes if Lithuania loses a war against Muscovy/Russia/Otto, but it is also unusual for it to take land from Poland and Lithuania.

I guess the new dlc really does shuffle diplomacy around.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

goodness posted:

As a new player should I hold off on Cossacks expansion?

Definitely. It adds a lot of features not easily found by newbies.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Purchase and enable all DLC so you can learn the entire game in one go instead of having to relearn every new system every time you turn a DLC on.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Eej posted:

Purchase and enable all DLC so you can learn the entire game in one go instead of having to relearn every new system every time you turn a DLC on.

Yes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Eej posted:

I'm gobsmacked that GB decided to do something for once in a war against France.

I'm playing a CN in the Pacific, so this is without any human interference:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Eej posted:

we talked about this a bit ago, there really aren't many systems you'll have to relearn if you get the DLC, just new things that add on top. and I still maintain it's easier to learn without all that extra stuff, a lotta people get very overwhelmed when they launch EU4, and the DLC isn't really that useful for new players anyway.

the exception being The Cossacks, which totally overhauls the whole diplomacy system, so yeah you probably wanna get it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm playing a CN in the Pacific, so this is without any human interference:

I find a new question about this every time I look at it. Right now, I'm asking how the hell Lucca is a) still alive and b) making some headway.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
So I started as Hosokawa, unified Japan, and then attempted to take Korea while Ming and the Oirats had a go at each other. Once my army landed, Ming happily diverted a 40k strong army to dislodge me and smashed my fleet before landing their own invasion and forcing me to release Ainu and 3 other former daimyos.

Now, 15 years later, I've vassalized Ainu and reintegrated the daimyos, but Ming is still in one piece and Korea's lips are still firmly affixed to Ming's anus. What is the go-to strategy to get Ming to break up these days? I did take exploration first so I'm starting to colonize the Pacific, and hopefully I can build up an economic base there to subsidize a larger army and navy, but that big flesh-tone blob is a little too stable for my tastes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Funky Valentine posted:

I find a new question about this every time I look at it. Right now, I'm asking how the hell Lucca is a) still alive and b) making some headway.

I don't think I can answer any of your questions, I've just checked in on Europe every 50 years or so to see what's up and it's been weirder each time.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone ever run their army/navy sliders at anything other than full on or full off?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Does anyone ever run their army/navy sliders at anything other than full on or full off?

Sometimes I tune it so I'm just making green if I'm doing some heavy colonization.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you're about to invade some weak country that just lost a war or maybe just popped out of another, bigger country and they don't have any troops, you can invade them while keeping your army maintenance at like 1/3rd just to save some money. Otherwise yeah, usually full on for war and full off during peace (assuming no imminent rebellions).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Whenever I'm colonizing, since you don't need full morale to kill natives but you still want your troops to be reinforcing. If I expect someone might declare war on me soon then I have it fairly high too.

beefart posted:

So I started as Hosokawa, unified Japan, and then attempted to take Korea while Ming and the Oirats had a go at each other. Once my army landed, Ming happily diverted a 40k strong army to dislodge me and smashed my fleet before landing their own invasion and forcing me to release Ainu and 3 other former daimyos.

Now, 15 years later, I've vassalized Ainu and reintegrated the daimyos, but Ming is still in one piece and Korea's lips are still firmly affixed to Ming's anus. What is the go-to strategy to get Ming to break up these days? I did take exploration first so I'm starting to colonize the Pacific, and hopefully I can build up an economic base there to subsidize a larger army and navy, but that big flesh-tone blob is a little too stable for my tastes.

The Pacific is worth gently caress-all, go for Southeast Asia instead.

As for Ming, you either have to get lucky enough for them to get a ruler with low legitimacy, or war them to 100% and sit on them for a while. With Japan + The Philippines you should easily have a big enough navy to beat theirs though, so you won't have to worry about them smushing you.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

VDay posted:

If you're about to invade some weak country that just lost a war or maybe just popped out of another, bigger country and they don't have any troops, you can invade them while keeping your army maintenance at like 1/3rd just to save some money. Otherwise yeah, usually full on for war and full off during peace (assuming no imminent rebellions).

Does the ai check maintenance when seeing an opportunity for dowimg? I've always kept it at halfway just in case

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I keep my army sliders at about 25% in case a war suddenly happens. If I'm called to war I can put my slider to full and wait two months to accept and then be at max morale.

e: I'm thinking of doing a daimyo game. What are good ones to start as?

TTBF fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

ImPureAwesome posted:

Does the ai check maintenance when seeing an opportunity for dowimg? I've always kept it at halfway just in case

No idea but probably not? I kind of doubt the AI has some kind of blitzkrieg maneuver built into it that somehow overrides concerns like how many troops and manpower you have. That seems like a ludicrously complicated bit of coding/logic, but I'm talking out of my rear end so what do I know.

Also this just happened in my game and it might be my favorite bit of fort ZoC shenanigans I've ever seen:

• Locked thread