Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Right, you'd prefer the film focus on this fatherless black young male and the struggles he faces in the galaxy.

Fatherless black young space janitor male who quits his job without notice, steals a company vehicle and falls in with a known drug smuggler while he's on the lam. Also he caps a bunch of his previous workmates, shivs one in the back and assaults his old manager.

(I'm exaggerating for effect but some people found Finn's character to be problematic, especially that part where he turns out to be a space janitor and not an awesome Jedi warrior dude)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Right, you'd prefer the film focus on this fatherless black young male and the struggles he faces in the galaxy. Also, Rey's character is good but not because shes a woman. Shes a well written character that has a lot of great scenes.

Her being strong and cool is made more important because she is a woman. There is a cultural context of women being dependent on men in action movies, which is sexist. Having more strong women in leading roles is anti-sexist. If every single action movie had men being dependent on women, that that would be sexist and films would need strong, independent men. You can't look at things in a vacuum.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Runefaust posted:

About Rey's mysterious background:

Do you think Vader could have had any more children / clone baby poo poo after Luke and Leia? What if the Emperor had some diabolical scheme to "manufacture" more offspring from Vader, that product being Rey?

This would both gently caress with Kylo's world as well as make her a sort of sibling to Luke and Leia.

He lost his testicles on Mustafar. The Jedi finally won that battle.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(I'm exaggerating for effect but some people found Finn's character to be problematic, especially that part where he turns out to be a space janitor and not an awesome Jedi warrior dude)

There's nothing racist about the black guy having been in sanitation, because he has already shown he is both moral and skilled.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blue squares posted:

Her being strong and cool is made more important because she is a woman. There is a cultural context of women being dependent on men in action movies, which is sexist. Having more strong women in leading roles is anti-sexist. If every single action movie had men being dependent on women, that that would be sexist and films would need strong, independent men. You can't look at things in a vacuum.

The movie directly talked about this when she kept yelling at Finn to not hold her hand.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

euphronius posted:

The movie directly talked about this when she kept yelling at Finn to not hold her hand.

I thought this was a little on the nose.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Rey being a woman made the moment she finally picked up the lightsaber even better to me.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

porfiria posted:

I thought this was a little on the nose.

It would be if they put it in the final scenes. But because it's right there at the start, I loved it. It really set the tone for Rey's character.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

blue squares posted:

You can't look at things in a vacuum.

Most of the film occurs in space so yeah, they were in a vacuum.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Poe Dameron was strong and independent. Finn needed him. He also saved the day too. No force powers needed!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

blue squares posted:

It would be if they put it in the final scenes. But because it's right there at the start, I loved it. It really set the tone for Rey's character.

It would have been ok if there were some character reason for Finn to be that way, but I don't think there is. I mean his boss is a lady; I get the impression the Nu Storm Trooper Corps is pretty universally misanthropic.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Most of the film occurs in space so yeah, they were in a vacuum.

incorrect, most of it occurs in the confines of an atmosphere or a space ship. Although those planets and space ships are themselves within a vacuum. drat.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

porfiria posted:

It would have been ok if there were some character reason for Finn to be that way, but I don't think there is. I mean his boss is a lady; I get the impression the Nu Storm Trooper Corps is pretty universally misanthropic.

The character reason for Finn to be that is because that's pretty much how all men are, even if they have a female superior. The natural instinct is to protect the woman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Finn is Luke from A New Hope, and Rey is Luke from Empire Strikes Back.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Roman Reigns posted:

Social Jedi Warrior

No, no, Sand Jedi Warrior. The main protagonists of every movie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

blue squares posted:

The character reason for Finn to be that is because that's pretty much how all men are, even if they have a female superior. The natural instinct is to protect the woman.

There's a lot to unpack here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I also liked how starkiller base- instead of blowing up- turned into a new star or sun. Which you know is cool because Rey is a new . . .hope.

When the sun went out Ren was at his strongest most evil. When the jedi win the sun returns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blue squares posted:

Yeah hes helping a damsel in distress which is "normal".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
loving sand people, am I right guys or am I right?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

porfiria posted:

There's a lot to unpack here.

Go ahead and start. Are you going to argue that men do not generally have an instinctual response to protect women in the face of danger? Because if so, lol

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm hoping Finn is a jedi also, because why not that would be rad. I also hope that the one prediction earlier in the thread comes true and Finn and Rey have some romantic stuff happen, if only to see the white-hot hatred come off of the worse people in the world in real time, on the internet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

porfiria posted:

I think it was meant to show that Finn was a good guy but a naive guy.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

He lost his testicles on Mustafar. The Jedi finally won that battle.

Do you need testicles to make clones in the SW universe?

Edit: Another thing - is Galen Marek still part of the universe?

Caeks fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 21, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah it would. Honestly, I liked the film more because of Rey. We've already seen young man becomes jedi. That's why I liked the film so much. It felt new.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why are all Dark Jedi authoritarians, why aren't there any Sith libertarians/sovereign citizens?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Runefaust posted:

Do you need testicles to make clones in the SW universe?
The point is: Did Vader have nards? Or perhaps Sith cyber-nards?

Frackie Robinson posted:

Why are all Dark Jedi authoritarians, why aren't there any Sith libertarians/sovereign citizens?
Because the purpose of a libertarian outlook is to create an authoritarian environment where you're the one wearing the boots. :smugdog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Frackie Robinson posted:

Count Dooku. Then he found out what time it was.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

blue squares posted:

I also appreciated that she rescued herself from Kylo Ren and despite being the standard damsel capture (thrown over the shoulder and loaded on the steam train) she faced off against him mentally and physically.

On the flipside I'm quite glad that Fin's bluff created the attack on the Death Star. I'm liking the heroes being plot drivers this time around. Although ANH benefited from handing the heroes the attack plan for them to follow I liked that they had to figure things out in TFA. The movie could have used an ID4-ish "our missiles are ineffective, oh wait, fire into its green butthole" moment instead of a trench run. It almost feels like that's what happened when Poe flies through wreckage and shoots stuff in a cylinder but that didn't come across quite successfully.

Edit:

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it would. Honestly, I liked the film more because of Rey. We've already seen young man becomes jedi. That's why I liked the film so much. It felt new.

Also that she could express her power without an Obi Wan Kenobi to guide her but just drawing from a well within herself. Luke and Anakin don't get into lightsaber fights until they're far into training while Rey just taps in. It's badass in a way they weren't so it's not even a "just like the boys" swap but a new thing. Loving that.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 21, 2015

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

blue squares posted:

I don't think that's what happened at all. He witnesses her kick two people's asses, then she kicks his rear end. I think he wants to get the hell away from what's coming so he grabs her hand in a "let's go" way. Though her saying let go of my hand kind is blatantly getting at "i'm a strong independant woman and I don't need no man". Even so I feel that's made pretty obvious when shes shown out, alone fending for herself on what appears to be a really harsh planet.

KakerMix posted:

I'm hoping Finn is a jedi also, because why not that would be rad. I also hope that the one prediction earlier in the thread comes true and Finn and Rey have some romantic stuff happen, if only to see the white-hot hatred come off of the worse people in the world in real time, on the internet.

Yea, it's really obvious that there's a romance brewing between Finn and Rey. I could see it turn into a friendship thing if another character gets close to Rey which would mirror the Luke and Leia relationship. I doubt Finn will be revealed to be a sibling of Rey this time. Him being black is pretty irrelevant, not sure why people keep bringing that up. I simply stated his character became boring to me after they get off "not tattoine".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Force Awakens made $517 million dollars worldwide in its opening weekend.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Force Awakens made $517 million dollars worldwide in its opening weekend.

That's probably it's total cost with marketing and cinema cuts so it's all gravy from here.

Although we have no idea what the cinema splits are for such a unique movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it'd actually be a mistake to have a romance between Finn and Rey. I figured Poe Damerion was the romantic lead for Finn.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

That's probably it's total cost with marketing and cinema cuts so it's all gravy from here.

This is from BoxOfficeMojo, and is a list of all of the records the Force Awakens currently holds:

Largest Thursday Previews: $57 million*
Previous Record: $43.5 million (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2)

Largest Friday, Opening Day, Single Day: $120.5 million (estimated)
Previous Record: $91 million (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2)

Domestic Opening Weekend: $238 million (estimate)
Previous Record: $208.8 million (Jurassic World)

Highest Per Theater Average (Wide Opening): $57,571 (estimate)
Previous Record: $48,855 / 4,274 theaters (Jurassic World)

Top Opening Weekend for PG-13 Rated Film: $238 million (estimate)
Previous Record: $208.8 million (Jurassic World)

Top Holiday Opening Weekend**: $238 million (estimate)
Previous Record: $158 million (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire)

Biggest Weekend Overall (Top 12 Gross): $294.5 million
Previous Record: $266 million (June 12-14, 2015)

Biggest December Weekend (Top 12 Gross): $294.5 million
Previous Record: $259.9 million (Dec 25-27, 2009)

December Single Day: $120.5 million (estimated)
Previous Record: $37.13 million (The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)

Widest December Opening: 4,134 theaters
Previous Record: 4,045 theaters (The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)

December Opening Weekend: $238 million (estimate)
Previous Record: $84.62 million (The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)

Fastest to $100 Million: 1 Day
Previous Record: 2 Days (Jurassic World)

Global IMAX Opening Record: $48 million
Previous Record: $44.1 million (Jurassic World)

Domestic IMAX Opening Record: $30.1 million
Previous Record: $20.9 million (Jurassic World)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I figured Poe Damerion was the romantic lead for Finn.

This needs to happen.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

euphronius posted:

and since this is disney, they're going to keep pushing merch until we all choke to death on it
at least i wont hear an obnoxious song all year long, though, unlike loving frozen

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
RIP dem records! :eyepop:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I feel bad, but I think I disliked this movie more than the stupid prequels. I'm old, so I'm going to go on an old man rant.

Kylo Ren had the most grating voice with his mask on. Then when he took it off, we were looking at what was probably the worlds biggest Star Wars geek who won some contest to be the next bad guy in the next Star Wars movie. I wanted him to put the mask back on because he looked like a huge nerd. This is what the son of Han and Leia looks like? Yeah, no. Not in a million years.

The beginning with the Falcon chase reminded me of young Annie, it was only missing the "Yahoooo!!". They went over the top slapstick comedy for the first quarter and it drove me nuts.

BB-8 was annoying. I wanted R2 the entire time instead.

The story was about another stupid death star, but it's an entire planet this time.

Han dying was stupid and out of place.

I liked Rey but somehow turning into super Jedi in 10 minutes is stupid.

Leia had smokers voice and it cracked me up more than anything else.

The Falcon turret noises were wrong.

Stormtrooper blaster noises were wrong.

Grah. Wanted to like this so loving much, but so drat disappointed. I'll be that guy, I guess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

and since this is disney, they're going to keep pushing merch until we all choke to death on it
at least i wont hear an obnoxious song all year long, though, unlike loving frozen

Yeah, I want to know what the Force Awakens makes in merchandising. Some of Disney's top intellectual properties were making over 1 billion dollars in this area.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I figured any minor changes in things like blaster gun noises would be because, like, they got new guns or changed their standard issue armament. You old fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Runefaust posted:

About Rey's mysterious background:

Do you think Vader could have had any more children / clone baby poo poo after Luke and Leia? What if the Emperor had some diabolical scheme to "manufacture" more offspring from Vader, that product being Rey?

This would both gently caress with Kylo's world as well as make her a sort of sibling to Luke and Leia. It would definitely fit - I think it's pretty much understood that she isn't Han's/Leia's offspring, most likely not Luke's offspring, and would bring a weird dimension to Kylo and Rey's conflivt, with Kylo wanting to be so much like Vader and Rey being much more like Vader due to being some sort of weird clone, but not wanting to be like him at all. It would explain her apparent power with the force, as well as why she was left on Jakku.

Rey, being a clone of Vader, was left on Jakku by the remaining galactic empire and hidden from the rebellion so that one day she could be retrieved and used for their gain, but after so many lost battles she was forgotten about.

I love me some clone theories, but I really doubt we'll see that tech brought in to explain Rey's origins, in fact it probably won't be an actual plot point at all, just something for Ren to joke about. But since I love clone theories, I'll go down the rabbit hole.

The issue that clone Rey has (Reey?) is that we haven't seen clones with their gender swapped, or creating an offspring based solely on DNA. All we've seen done is putting people in the ol' genetic photocopier. That pretty much just leaves her being Leia's clone, which could also work because now you have a real nature vs. nurture experiment going on here where your "Leia" is raised on a desert planet. Maybe she was the one with the stronger force abilities all along, they just never got developed. She does track down Luke on Bespin, and she senses Han's death from across the galaxy with no, or very little, training. And for all the crazy family origin lines we could hear sent at Reey, "You're my sister" from Luke or "Genetically, you're my mother" from Kylo have to be the most absurd.

Like I said I REALLY like the clone ideas because they just seem so off the wall crazy, but I just don't think they'll go down that path.

• Locked thread