Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

. Did anyone clap or cheer when Starkiller blew up?.

Yes. People went wild in the theater.

The bulk of your complaints also can be applied to ANH (since this film is so close to it) so I'm not sure what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I saw ANH when I was a kid, so maybe it was an insane non story as well.. who knows.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

There are also a really crazy amount of stormtroopers that die in this movie and the sheer suddenness with which a fun escape sequence becomes, like, a grisly guerilla attack.. its weird. Especially considering the film establishes the first order troopers as brainwashed kidnapees right before this happens. Am I supposed to feel bad for them or not.

You're supposed to feel bad that people get killed, but recognize that you cant really talk down every combatant in a war; Star Wars in general has a pragmatic approach with regards to casualties.

The plot is basically: Rebels need the map to Luke to find someone capable of finishing off the Empire and stop the Starkiller (cute reference). In the process they stumble across Finn and Rey, who just so happen to be the people they need to stop the starkiller (in typical Rebel fashion), from there Luke becomes a secondary plot to stopping the thing murdering trillions of people and attempting to stop/save Kylo

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 21, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

the biggest, and only risk the movie seemed to take was casting this freakish Girls dude as the primary villain, presumably going into the sequels as well, and making him a sort of light commentary on Star Wars fandom.. or whatever. His scenes were fairly sweet though and his costuming was really clever in that he goes from Vader Extreme to Frail Goth Anakin with the removal of his mask and cloak. I enjoyed him a lot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Definitely the boldest thing about the film is that they're definitely giving Anakin Skywalker Jr. a major part to play.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

And, the lightsaber is sick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

the biggest, and only risk the movie seemed to take was casting this freakish Girls dude as the primary villain, presumably going into the sequels as well, and making him a sort of light commentary on Star Wars fandom.. or whatever. His scenes were fairly sweet though and his costuming was really clever in that he goes from Vader Extreme to Frail Goth Anakin with the removal of his mask and cloak. I enjoyed him a lot.

No, the film took plenty of risks, just no in the way you think. If you don't think there's a risk in having a traditional nerd property where the entire lead heroic cast contains only a single white male (who is elderly) then I'd advise you look at the comment threads sometimes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

He was good yeah

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, the film took plenty of risks, just no in the way you think. If you don't think there's a risk in having a traditional nerd property where the entire lead heroic cast contains only a single white male (who is elderly) then I'd advise you look at the comment threads sometimes.

Im looking forward to having to read this over and over again for the next decade. Its not that risky IMO but to debate this will surely lead to the same lame circle arguments forever.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I agree though, that the movie seems to have a lot of faith in these two very boring leads to carry the rest of this franchise.. best of luck to Disney in this regard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

net cafe scandal posted:

I agree though, that the movie seems to have a lot of faith in these two very boring leads to carry the rest of this franchise.. best of luck to Disney in this regard.

Most people like the leads, so they'll be perfectly fine.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I remember when making a good movie was considered a good thing, instead of bad for not being a confusing messy metameta-commentary on the thing that the movie calls good but is secretly bad and is also a dig at marketing and the police and gendered airplanes

Idk, guess I'm the kind of dude who goes to the Mona Lisa exhibit instead of the Perfect Square on Recycled Baking Sheet modern exhibit

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

net cafe scandal posted:

TFA:

I wasnt around for A New Hope in theaters but I imagine people lost their poo poo when the Death Star got wrecked.

Kylo Ren was cool.

Absolutely. The battle at the end of A New Hope is a prime example of how to build tension towards a climax. There was no tension at the end of TFA. The heroes never seemed trapped or outnumbered as they did in the original trilogy. Everything went exactly as planned, and the audience knew exactly how it was going to end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

I remember when making a good movie was considered a good thing, instead of bad for not being a confusing messy metameta-commentary on the thing that the movie calls good but is secretly bad and is also a dig at marketing and the police and gendered airplanes

Idk, guess I'm the kind of dude who goes to the Mona Lisa exhibit instead of the Perfect Square on Recycled Baking Sheet modern exhibit

The Mona Lisa is world famous because it was stolen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Im looking forward to having to read this over and over again for the next decade. Its not that risky IMO but to debate this will surely lead to the same lame circle arguments forever.

"It doesn't count because I said so" is a lame argument. No matter how much you personally feel about the risk if it wasn't risky then it wouldn't even be noteworthy that it was happening.

net cafe scandal posted:

Considering the amount of praise the leads get I'm pretty sure that won't be an issue.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Murder McMurderson posted:

Absolutely. The battle at the end of A New Hope is a prime example of how to build tension towards a climax. There was no tension at the end of TFA. The heroes never seemed trapped or outnumbered as they did in the original trilogy. Everything went exactly as planned, and the audience knew exactly how it was going to end.

The lightsaber fight was pretty tense.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd say that it was a risk to make a good movie, instead of making actors run through a green tunnel and shout story

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I'd say that it was a risk to make a good movie, instead of making actors run through a green tunnel and shout story

Alright man. Lol

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Neurolimal posted:

You're right, Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A New Hope 2 is a pretty big risk.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

CelticPredator posted:

The lightsaber fight was pretty tense.

Oh yeah, that was great. I should have clarified. I didn't mean the entire ending lacked tension, just the vehicular battle and its resolution.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Maybe it's just the freshness of seeing it today but when I read "run through green tunnel" I definitely thought of the weak rear end tentacle monster sequence before I thought of anything from the prequel bad movies.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't think Star Wars had a need or obligation to introduce more diversity to the cast, but Finn and Rey are good characters that I enjoyed, so that's great, everybody wins!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Soundtrack question and comment. I seriously just cannot stop listening to the Jedi Steps track. Its amazing. But anyway, toward the end of the non-credits portion (before it segues into The Force Theme), the track suddenly goes a bit...darker. A higher horn fanfare with a lower note under it repeated a couple time. I'm reminded of bits of the Episode III soundtrack, and I'm wondering just how ominous Luke is supposed to be here...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Technically, Starkiller Base didn't blow up. It imploded, and in it's place was a brand new star.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Maybe it's just the freshness of seeing it today but when I read "run through green tunnel" I definitely thought of the weak rear end tentacle monster sequence before I thought of anything from the prequel bad movies.

I will actually agree that the tentacle monster scene was dumb and they could have dumped it from the film without losing a single thing.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Neurolimal posted:

Now we just have to hope that the next episode doesn't go the way of the Into Darkness. Keep that leash tight, Disney!

The fact that it's Rian Johnson is such a relief. So is the fact that Episode 9 will presumably be written by him as well. He's weird, interesting, and extremely solid as a director, while also being in charge of the most interesting point in the trilogy. There's so many interesting things to do with Rey and Kylo Ren.

[

ImpAtom posted:

I will actually agree that the tentacle monster scene was dumb and they could have dumped it from the film without losing a single thing.

Yeah, the purpose of that scene made sense in terms of being in introduction, but it sucked and the design of the monsters was terrible. It was an entire 10 minutes the movie really could have used elsewhere.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 21, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Murder McMurderson posted:

Oh yeah, that was great. I should have clarified. I didn't mean the entire ending lacked tension, just the vehicular battle and its resolution.

I agree with you. I cannot recall a single shot from that scene. My brain checks out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I kinda liked the retro space opera idea of Han hauling space monsters around. It felt like something referencing not past Star Wars but the pulp stuff Star Wars was based on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The scene's worth it for Han Solo punching that guy in the face, and throwing him into the monster's mouth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Lord posted:

I kinda liked the retro space opera idea of Han hauling space monsters around. It felt like something referencing not past Star Wars but the pulp stuff Star Wars was based on.

Yeah; it feels very retro and pulpy, but is overall not all that connected to the rest of the plot. Not every single thing in the movie needs to be directly plot important; but I feel like the Rathtar scene could have been trimmed just a hair. Keep the two rival gangs and the rathtars escaping, but maybe get rid of Finn being dragged off by one? That preserves Han's moments and leaves us in the same place at the end, but saves a minute of "unnecessary" stuff.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The scene did not add much plot wise but it showed Rey and Finn working together in danger before the Maz katana ? Attack which is important.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
From the NYTimes:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's also a decent and foreshadowed way to give a scene where Han Solo is being a scummy smuggler (instead of just saying he is). Without it he basically just acts as a tour guide until the First Order attack.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also I'm just curious, does the film feel like it needed a PG-13/12A cert to people? I can't remember anything particularly 'not-PG' happening. The blood hand print is the worst, but I'm possibly forgetting something? All children should see this.

I think they can rate PG-13 for themes (brainwashed child soldiers and the mass slaughters they conduct, Episode VI) and things that just look scary as well (not Kylo Ren according to resident forum expert MrBibs but probably there was something else scary, like Maz's cgi).

e: I feel like they should have gone easier on it based on the fact that every single character in this movie is adorable with the exception of Princess "Voice of Solid Snake" Leia.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 21, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My only issue with the monster scene was that Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruihan did absolutely nothing. Were they eaten? I would love for them to come back (maybe in a spinoff) and actually kick some rear end.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The thing that sticks with me about the rathtar scene is that I recognized the guys from The Raid and I thought there was gonna be a sick rear end fight scene and being a little bit disappointed but I suppose it wouldn't really make much sense to have a sick rear end fight scene so it was fine

efb

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 21, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

turtlecrunch posted:

I think they can rate PG-13 for themes (brainwashed child soldiers and the mass slaughters they conduct, Episode VI) and things that just look scary as well (not Kylo Ren according to resident forum expert MrBibs but probably there was something else scary, like Maz's cgi).

e: I feel like they should have gone easier on it based on the fact that every single character in this movie is adorable with the exception of Princess "Voice of Solid Snake" Leia.

The General Hux Nazi speech followed by destroying a bunch of planets and showing the people on the planets in utter terror before their certain death could be a bit heavy for kids.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Maz was weird in general. Like they wanted to fit in a Yoda element before Luke shows up in the next episode, but her spiel about Good vs. Evil is a bit too on-the-nose for me.

Like the tentacle beast though, she was a pretty neutral addition to the movie, and I'm not sure how much better the CGI could have been for Lumpy Grandma Bugeyes

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh and Im sure this threads mentioned it a dozen times but. Captain Phasma... what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Mind elaborating on what you're talking about with Phasma?

net cafe scandal posted:

People complain that Darth Girls wasn't up to fill Vader's shoes but the thing is he's not up to filling Vader's shoes... in-universe. When things go wrong what does Vader do? Maintain total control in his meditation chamber, maybe Force choke some bitches, that's it. Vader's wannabe in TFA loses his poo poo when things go moderately wrong, slashing up the nearest object with his lightsaber, and the reaction of the patrolling stormtroopers (one of the funniest moments IMHO) and the officer that brought him bad news seems to imply he does this often. Often enough that the crew is aware he has his... moments, shall we say. He's a padawan who never finished training, went bad, has way too much power than he knows what to do with, and it shows. It's supposed to show.

• Locked thread